DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
@Jtheripper We detailed that in a blog post a while back:

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/08/the-dirt-roadbook-august-23-2019/

One of the big features in DiRT Rally 2.0 is the inclusion of Stage Degradation, where the surface of the road performs differently based on how many cars have driven a Stage before you in an Event. There’s been a few questions recently about what the different settings for Stage Degradation mean, given that more people are creating their own Championships in Clubs.

Here’s some comments straight from our Principal Games Designer, Andy Stewart, giving great insight into how this part of the game functions:

Authentic

• Provides track degradation similar to real life. The change in degradation between any two places in the running order is quite slight, but accumulates with each place.
  • In a Custom Event of 20 entrants, you therefore only get to see the early stages of degradation.
  • By contrast in a Career Event, where there may be 150 entrants across multiple Classes, those running late in the order would see much more degradation.

Full

• Provides the full range of track degradation regardless of how many entrants there are. It allocates the full range of effects, proportionally, to the number of entrants in the running order.
  • This means that in a Custom Event of 20 entrants, the entrant running first experiences the untouched track, and the entrant running last experiences the most complete track degradation. For the latter, it’s as if 150 entrants had raced the Stage ahead of them instead of 19.
  • This is unrealistic given the number of entrants; but it means that running order has a more pronounced effect on the race result than with the Authentic setting.

Optimum

• Ensures all entrants experience the same track degradation, similar to running 6th in the Authentic setting.
  • This is considered the best for racing performance, for most players. This is the “sweet spot” after the road has been swept of loose material and before ruts and bumps have started to form on the racing line.
  • This setting is great if you want a level playing field; everyone gets the same, yet authentic, experience.

Off

• Disables the degradation effects altogether. All players get the same experience, regardless of where they are in the running order.
  • This also provides a level playing field, like “Optimum”, but it’s as if no-one has raced along the track.
  • Pace may not be as good as with the Optimum setting, depending on the track.

DR2_Festive_Banner.jpg

Some more Challenges coming your way next month, along with some in-game rewards :)

More info: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/11...eries-coming-to-dirt-rally-2-0-this-december/

Thanks for that info and link sir, appreciated, ..well its more thoughtfully implemented than i guessed then.
Got the focus 2007, another gem with that turbo exhaust note, and great feel.
Tried it on dry Germany tarmac, so nice feel of smallest dips in the road too.
I have noted that in the official youtube dirt vids the sounds aren't as clear or sharp as in the game live played, ..and on replay views it seems just the same onboard sound, not the actual sound when in replay mode with doppler effect and external exhaust sound. It gives a lesser impression of the quality of the game's sounds it seems.
Some user videos do have sharp and actual sounds of each perspective and nearer to the game's live sound. Just thought I'd mention it as it be too bad if many get a lesser impression compared to the game actually played for yourself with good headphones.

Last edited:
I have noted that in the official youtube dirt vids the sounds aren't as clear or sharp as in the game live played, ..and on replay views it seems just the same onboard sound, not the actual sound when in replay mode with doppler effect and external exhaust sound. It gives a lesser impression of the quality of the game's sounds it seems.

Some user videos do have sharp and actual sounds of each perspective and nearer to the game's live sound. Just thought I'd mention it as it be too bad if many get a lesser impression compared to the game actually played for yourself with good headphones.
Good feedback.

It all depends on what we're using when doing capture really, whether it's software (sometimes the drivers do the runs at their desk) or hardware.

The Renault 5 is a feisty little beast. Lots of fun. Edit: You can feel the wider rear tires that give up and recatch grip a little more suddenly. But the little turbo still can overpower them at lower gear. Feels good.

Last edited:
I was watching a youtube vid on the Hyundai I20 wrc maybe 2017, and they sound so racey and good, you can see the engine, transmission etc are more pushed to racing specs than the r5 cars in dr2. I wish we had a few recent full wrc cars like that in dr2, it would sound so good and to feel the performance of these cars.
I was trying the r5 golf gti, which sounds and feels great of course. Just made me imagine the higher spec recent wrc cars. Of course we have the older ones like group b 4wd.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen as long as another studio has the official WRC license.
Yeah i guess not, the r5 are the wrc2 category i guess, looks same specs.
Edit: The r5 golf gti is lot of fun when you start reaching the limit of the track and car.
By the way, the replays which i love, could be nice if it had slow-mo half speed too, the choices are pretty slow lol.
Edit2: now tried the golf kit car, my god I'm having a ball with each car i try. So fun too, with lighter weight, more peaky high-rev engine, same peak power almost as r5 but fwd. I keep running the same short stage in Germany comparing cars.

Last edited:
I'm not getting what's so bad about the tarmac feel in dr2 honestly. To me it's fantastic and just about the best i ever tried. It's natural, instinctive, believable, challenging, seems deep and pretty real to me.
I tried it in wet, dry, with fwd, rwd, 4wd.
Plus all other surfaces too, oh well, maybe I'm under it's spell..
If ever they change anything please let me have the option to set it as I prefer, if ever it's different to now in dr2 and feels worse to me.
And the physics when crashing too seem good.
Edit: was just remembering that there is no celica 4wd turbo, it's a cute car that many like i think. Well seeing it again in assetto corsa made me remember it, sounds pretty good too in it.

Last edited:
I thought tarmac was even better before the massive FFB update occurred when everyone went ape about it. Spain was the only tarmac rally at the time, but the cars really felt like they had weight. Even on the dirt stages they had more heft, like you were piloting something actually made of steel and weighed a ton and a half. Now the FFB and physics are serviceable but nothing groundbreaking for wheel users.

But I was the minority.

Some of you know that I have been a huge critic of this game and of CodeRemasters in general. Not because it's bad, but for what I see as a cornucopia of missed/botched/lost opportunities, features and implementations (don't even get me started with the DLC).

But I just re-bought it on Steam after playing on PS4 since May. Got my PSVR working on the PC using the iVRy driver and, well, it changes everything. The DiRT Rallies are still the only current-gen rally games to support VR. And now I can't stop playing!

DiRT Rally 2.0 is incredible in VR. Thanks CodeRemasters for adding VR. Without it, I wouldn't have double-dipped and wouldn't be playing it outside of my two leagues. Now, the game is enjoyable again. Too bad VR support on PS4 is not in the plans. Anyone who played DR1 in VR knows what I'm talking about. I hope with PS5 VR support becomes base functionality in all racing games.

Some of you know that I have been a huge critic of this game and of CodeRemasters in general. Not because it's bad, but for what I see as a cornucopia of missed/botched/lost opportunities, features and implementations (don't even get me started with the DLC).

But I just re-bought it on Steam after playing on PS4 since May. Got my PSVR working on the PC using the iVRy driver and, well, it changes everything. The DiRT Rallies are still the only current-gen rally games to support VR. And now I can't stop playing!

DiRT Rally 2.0 is incredible in VR. Thanks CodeRemasters for adding VR. Without it, I wouldn't have double-dipped and wouldn't be playing it outside of my two leagues. Now, the game is enjoyable again. Too bad VR support on PS4 is not in the plans. Anyone who played DR1 in VR knows what I'm talking about. I hope with PS5 VR support becomes base functionality in all racing games.

Nice post, VR is the ultimate way to go in any racing game.

In pancake mode I always turn off the cockpit wheel whenever possible, but it’s great to see the animations following your actions in VR, even the handbrake(!).

Though I would probably left-foot brake using the sequential shift in that car. ;)

Though I would probably left-foot brake using the sequential shift in that car.

I also use sequential. Too easy to make a mistake in a competitive league environment with H shifter.

I leave the H-shifting to when I'm playing on my own.

I've also been very critical of DR 2.0 and it's been one hell of a messy release with broken FFB at launch, and all of this nickel and diming with the content, but I did the same as you because I've just switched to PC gaming and I found the super duper mega hyper double deluxe version (or whatever they call it) at a discount on Steam. And yep, DR2.0 in VR is amazing.

Cars:

• BMW M1 Procar: Added exhaust flames.
  • Renault 5 Turbo: Corrected gear shifting type.
  • Audi Sport quattro S1 E2: Corrected gear shifting type.
  • Porsche 911 SC RS: Increased windscreen wiper range to cover full view on driver's side.
  • Ford Fiesta OMSE Supercar Lites: Resolved issue where rear bodywork panel was not accumulating dirt.
  • Resolved issue on numerous cars where rear wing was missing from cockpit view when looking back.
  • Resolved issue on numerous cars where driver numbers were hard to see when certain liveries were applied.

Love!!!!

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/12/the-dirt-roadbook-of-the-year-2019/

• January – Car List Revealed & Real-Life Rallying
  • February – DiRT Rally 2.0 Released!
  • March – Season 1 Begins
  • April – Sweden Rally Arrives
  • May – Germany Rally and More Cars
  • June – Season 2 Begins
  • July – We’re off to Wales
  • August – VR, DirtFish, Estering and Season 3
  • September – Game Pass, World Series and F2 Kit Cars
  • October – New cars and a trip to Yas Marina