DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
I recently downloaded DR 2 & have been enjoying getting to grips with it. As I don't have much knowledge of RL rallying it's hard to judge how "realistic" the physics are. It seems too easy to control the cars over wild terrain ... but looking at RL rallying - that seems wildly unrealistic too!

One question: during RL rally series, how familiar are the drivers with the course before they run it? On a road track it can take dozens of laps before you eventually learn the best line & braking points for a given car. It's obvious on a rally stage that there are many places where you can pick up or lose a lot of time on a stage - far more than on a road track. So, familiarity with the details of the course is key. To what degree are RL drivers reliant on the pace notes, as opposed to actual experience on the course?

One question: during RL rally series, how familiar are the drivers with the course before they run it?

Drivers get to run the stage at low speed as a sort of track walk.

Some Stages are repeated over a weekend, or year-on-year, so there's a level of familiarity there.

Drivers get to run the stage at low speed as a sort of track walk.

Some Stages are repeated over a weekend, or year-on-year, so there's a level of familiarity there.

Yes, I understand that the drivers have some knowledge of the course, but I'm not clear how much. I know all the major race tracks, from Spa to Monza to the Nordschleife like the back of my hand, because I've run them hundreds of times - perhaps even thousands of times - in sim games. When I drive a new car - or even a familiar car - I still need many laps before I can figure out the best braking points for that particular car.

The stages in DR2 are new to me. There's a lot going on in them & a lot to learn. The better I know them, the faster I can drive them. How "realistic" is it to take 4 or 5 practice runs before setting a time in the stage? Is that "cheating"? Obviously, sim drivers eventually become extremely familiar with the all the stages in DR2, to the point where the pace notes are superfluous. I do notice that with practice I get much better at hearing & reacting to the co-driver's input, even on stages I'm driving for the first time.

On a real rally weekend there’s one Stage designated as a Shakedown. I believe you can run it as many times as you like so most drivers get 2 or 3 runs in in a day. You also have the Recce to refine your pace notes but other than that you’re blind.
Its important to note that recce's are also limited in the number of time you can do them, and also the speed which you can drive them (around 50kmh IIRC).

Yes, I understand that the drivers have some knowledge of the course, but I'm not clear how much. I know all the major race tracks, from Spa to Monza to the Nordschleife like the back of my hand, because I've run them hundreds of times - perhaps even thousands of times - in sim games. When I drive a new car - or even a familiar car - I still need many laps before I can figure out the best braking points for that particular car.

The stages in DR2 are new to me. There's a lot going on in them & a lot to learn. The better I know them, the faster I can drive them. How "realistic" is it to take 4 or 5 practice runs before setting a time in the stage? Is that "cheating"? Obviously, sim drivers eventually become extremely familiar with the all the stages in DR2, to the point where the pace notes are superfluous. I do notice that with practice I get much better at hearing & reacting to the co-driver's input, even on stages I'm driving for the first time.
Stages do get repeated over the course of an event as well, so you will at times hear a driver ask the co-driver to change/add to teh notes even during an active stage run. They also carry notes over from year to year, as some stages are effectively fixtures on the calendar, and this speeds up the recce process.

It's come a long way from Moss, Jenkinson, a big roll of paper and hand gestures.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/february-1992/22/pace-notes

Its important to note that recce's are also limited in the number of time you can do them, and also the speed which you can drive them (around 50kmh IIRC).
Indeed, it's not a full pace practice run and is usually done in a road car.

Sometimes it's not even done by the driver and codriver.

Thanks for the inputs!

I've played a few rally games in the past & enjoyed them, while being very aware that they were quite "arcady". I bought DR1 a couple of years ago, but never really played it because it initially seemed quite arcady to me. Heard good thing about DR2, so picked it up a few weeks ago on PSN. Initially it also seemed quite arcady, but then I came to realize that it's actually pretty demanding & the physics may be quite close to RL ... given that RL rally racing seems inherently rather "unrealistic"!

It strikes me that unlike sim track racing, where refining a lap means chipping away at 10ths here & there while you "perfect" your line & braking points, in DR2 there are massive amounts of time to be gained by refining your approach to the particular stage. However, if I understand correctly, IRL there is only a very limited opportunity to do this - this being part of the appeal/insanity of rally racing.

With regard to DR2, my ability to be competitive with the AI - even at a modest setting - is dependent on a bunch of "practice runs". The leaderboard times are obviously set by people obsessively re-running the stage to perfect their run ... which seems somewhat contrary to the ethos of rallying. Given the limited number of locations/stages in DR2, becoming very familiar with the stages seems inevitable.

In any case, DR2 is very enjoyable. My daughter has taken an interest in playing. She's OK in a FWD car, but absolutely hopeless in a RWD. I can't seem to communicate to her the necessity to be subtle with the steering inputs. I have a feeling it's not helped by her driving in automatic mode, which removes the ability to use gear shifts to control the speed of the car.

@PJTierney

Could you please tell me what is the official modding stance for DiRT Rally 2.0 at the moment please?

I'm dabbling with installing some modded liveries but I'm unsure where and what modes I should avoid. Iv'e been told the clubs mode and multiplayer is best not to be used with mods of any kind for obvious reasons. Is there anything else to be aware of?

@PJTierney

Could you please tell me what is the official modding stance for DiRT Rally 2.0 at the moment please?

I'm dabbling with installing some modded liveries but I'm unsure where and what modes I should avoid. Iv'e been told the clubs mode and multiplayer is best not to be used with mods of any kind for obvious reasons. Is there anything else to be aware of?
As far as I’m aware:

Liveries are fine.
Anything that doesn’t mod the game directly but uses the UDP (like telemetry apps etc.) are fine.
There’s a mod that lets you move the camera in replays, that’s fine.

Anything that mods physics, economy or messes with the cars (outside of liveries) is not allowed.

Trainers are an immediate VAC ban.

As far as I’m aware:

Liveries are fine.
Anything that doesn’t mod the game directly but uses the UDP (like telemetry apps etc.) are fine.
There’s a mod that lets you move the camera in replays, that’s fine.

Anything that mods physics, economy or messes with the cars (outside of liveries) is not allowed.

Trainers are an immediate VAC ban.

So liveries are fine in all modes then? That's great, Thanks:tup:

Should be, I see people streaming Clubs with custom designs.

That's great! Thanks so much for the prompt replies. :cheers:

I can now use this beauty :bowdown:

VI50dzk.png

Last edited:
Following up on PJ's Korean video, here are the boys taking a shot at Wales Sweet Lamb. Pretty impressive. It also graphically demonstrates that driving in motion must be a lot more demanding than just sitting still driving in a sim.

Following up on PJ's Korean video, here are the boys taking a shot at Wales Sweet Lamb. Pretty impressive. It also graphically demonstrates that driving in motion must be a lot more demanding than just sitting still driving in a sim.

This thing pulled insane numbers on our Facebook page, really cool setup and they're pretty decent rally fans too; I was chatting with the video creator on reddit recently :)

This thing pulled insane numbers on our Facebook page, really cool setup and they're pretty decent rally fans too; I was chatting with the video creator on reddit recently :)

What's the backstory on how came to have a setup like this, featuring not one but two synchronized full motion seats? That's an indication of "pretty decent rally fans", I would say! Their time is impressive for a first run through. I'm way slower. Perhaps what I need is a live co-driver? ;)

What's the backstory on how came to have a setup like this, featuring not one but two synchronized full motion seats? That's an indication of "pretty decent rally fans", I would say! Their time is impressive for a first run through. I'm way slower. Perhaps what I need is a live co-driver? ;)
Have a look back through the r/dirtgame subreddit as I think the rig details are in one of the comments of their Reddit video.

They shared it last week.

Last edited:
Have a look back through the r/dirtgame subreddit as I think the rig details are in one of the comments of their Reddit video.

They shared it last week.

Have you used a sophisticated full motion rig, PJ? Does the movement of the rig actually communicate anything useful about the balance of the car?

Eunos has a point ... but hard to know what the actual sensation is like. It must be "super uncomfortable" being in a RL rally car bouncing around over the terrain, regardless of whether the screen is, or-is-not moving around, particularly if you're the co-driver trying to focus on the pace notes! A motion rig used for regular track driving would be much more restrained & subtle.

Last edited:
It strikes me that "co-driver' in rally racing has to be the worst job in all of sports. What would possess someone to volunteer for that role?! :scared:

Incidentally, I just noticed that my Game of the Year download from PS did not include some of the DLC - notably Finland & Greece. I went to the PS store & saw that it was available for download, but hadn't automatically downloaded. Nice addition, as both locations offer some great stages & scenery.

Last edited:
Is the first Dirt Rally worth playing? I actually bought in when it first came out, but didn't really play it because I was more focused on AC & then PCars2. My immediate reaction was that the physics didn't really impress me ... but perhaps I should give it another try? How does it compare with DR2 overall?

Is the first Dirt Rally worth playing? I actually bought in when it first came out, but didn't really play it because I was more focused on AC & then PCars2. My immediate reaction was that the physics didn't really impress me ... but perhaps I should give it another try? How does it compare with DR2 overall?

Id say it is, although I will leave someone else to explain the difference in handling, I personally prefer it and get on better with it. And I like the co driver more. And a big plus is the inclusion of Pikes Peak, it's not in DR2 because of GT, grrrr.

Last edited:

Both good games, DR2 very active right now.

Back