DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
Agreed, really hoping the CM sound guys have been able to get some time with the latest generation cars. The Puma and Yaris both sound aggressive as hell.
I love the sound of the Puma off the line, to me or sounds like a rally car of old. Conversely I really dislike the sound of hybrid Yaris off the line compared to the previous gen car. I would imagine that all the cars in the game will sound authentic and amazing.

I love the sound of the Puma off the line, to me or sounds like a rally car of old. Conversely I really dislike the sound of hybrid Yaris off the line compared to the previous gen car. I would imagine that all the cars in the game will sound authentic and amazing.
Yeah, the Puma is my favourite sounding of the current cars, reminds me a lot of the EsCos WRCar. Maybe not quite as loud, but the ALS sounds just as rowdy!

I think Dirt always had the edge when it comes to sound but Kylotonn excels in the stage design.

Stage visuals and fidelity I agree, the road surfaces look and feel much better in KTs games, and a lot of the trackside detail is stronger too, but the last 3 KT entries hit next gen consoles as well so I'd expect that. The stage design, tough one, the complexity of the stages in the KT titles is strong, and we know of CMs limitations on stage lengths in DR 1 and 2, but DR2s are (mostly) based on the real stages. I know that's not always the nest way to go, but it does lend it a degree of authenticity. If they have improved the engine capability for WRC23 to have longer stages and with the technical capabilities, hopefully we'll see a blend of the 2, real stages but with detailed surfaces and better surroundings.

Here's another comparison, this time the Citroën C4 on each games version of El Condor in Argentina.

Real stage:
SmartSelect_20230129_145925_Chrome.jpg

DR2
SmartSelect_20230129_150302_Photos.jpg

WRCG
SmartSelect_20230129_150142_Chrome.jpg

Much closer to the real stage this time in WRCG, but again, DR2 mirrors the real El Condor.

Stage visuals and fidelity I agree, the road surfaces look and feel much better in KTs games, and a lot of the trackside detail is stronger too, but the last 3 KT entries hit next gen consoles as well so I'd expect that. The stage design, tough one, the complexity of the stages in the KT titles is strong, and we know of CMs limitations on stage lengths in DR 1 and 2, but DR2s are (mostly) based on the real stages. I know that's not always the nest way to go, but it does lend it a degree of authenticity. If they have improved the engine capability for WRC23 to have longer stages and with the technical capabilities, hopefully we'll see a blend of the 2, real stages but with detailed surfaces and better surroundings.

Here's another comparison, this time the Citroën C4 on each games version of El Condor in Argentina.

Real stage:
View attachment 1226860

DR2
View attachment 1226861

WRCG
View attachment 1226862

Much closer to the real stage this time in WRCG, but again, DR2 mirrors the real El Condor.

If I am not mistaken WRC23 will use Unreal engine since that was used for Dirt3 development which I assume has grown into WRC23. Not sure though where I read that info and when so I've nothing to back up that claim 🙄

If I am not mistaken WRC23 will use Unreal engine since that was used for Dirt3 development which I assume has grown into WRC23. Not sure though where I read that info and when so I've nothing to back up that claim 🙄

I've seen a few articles saying it won't be using UE5, specifically because DR3 wasn't. DR3 was nearing completion before becoming WRC23. I don't think it'll be long before we see that switch though, it's long been rumoured that CM will make that switch. This of course is all hearsay and based on various rumours so may not be true but I've seen more saying it isn't Unreal engine than I've seen saying it is.

I'm hoping they evolved the Rally engine enough to give them the possibility to do longer stages. That being said, if they haven't managed that, hopefully they'll make up for it with more stages and higher detail with them. Either way, if we get more unique stage KMs than DR2 and WRCG then its going the right direction.

Probably purple since DR2.0 does not have native support for the wheel.
Tried the blue mode and everything worked as it should.
Remember reading using purple mode, thats what confused me.
Perhaps works in both modes but the FFB is best in purple mode?
Did not have the the time to do a comparison.

Last edited:
Just finished the GRF Historic at Greece and I picked the Stratos. Absolutely hated it! I know it’s an icon but could not get sort of confidence built at all, felt like I was tiptoeing around at times.

Tried the blue mode and everything worked as it should.
Remember reading using purple mode, thats what confused me.
Perhaps works in both modes but the FFB is best in purple mode?
Did not have the the time to do a comparison.
Update,

Only blue mode works.
Purple does not work on my PS5.

Tempted to re-download this on PS5 as I have the Game of the Year edition from when it was really cheap a couple of years ago. Forgot I bought it on PS. Apologies if this is already covered earlier in the thread, but how does it run on PS5?

I didn’t like DR2.0 initially and basically avoided it, because it struck me as the ultimate in ‘release less than half of the game at full price then charge endlessly over months for content that should have been there from the start’. I hate that business model from a consumers point of view. It sucks. But given that it was DiRT cheap on sale so quickly and the GoTY is regularly on sale for like 8 quid, I kinda hold out hope they’ve learned their lesson. And the final game with all the DLC is pretty brilliant I have to admit.

WRC23 I’m kinda still not sure what to expect, but being based on the real WRC at least that should guarantee a lot more environments in the base game at launch.

Tempted to re-download this on PS5 as I have the Game of the Year edition from when it was really cheap a couple of years ago. Forgot I bought it on PS. Apologies if this is already covered earlier in the thread, but how does it run on PS5?

I didn’t like DR2.0 initially and basically avoided it, because it struck me as the ultimate in ‘release less than half of the game at full price then charge endlessly over months for content that should have been there from the start’. I hate that business model from a consumers point of view. It sucks. But given that it was DiRT cheap on sale so quickly and the GoTY is regularly on sale for like 8 quid, I kinda hold out hope they’ve learned their lesson. And the final game with all the DLC is pretty brilliant I have to admit.

WRC23 I’m kinda still not sure what to expect, but being based on the real WRC at least that should guarantee a lot more environments in the base game at launch.
Works great on PS5.

Cheers for the info. I’ll give it a go, I far prefer the PS5 controller.
I've had the same experience as you, didn't like it at first, irritated about the DLC etc. I don't have a PS5 but a Series X, I started playing it seriously a few weeks ago since the disappointment of WRCG with it's non existent sounds. I have to admit it's pretty wonderful running as it does in 4K 60. I'm having a blast!!

Nah, that's still RBR or SLRE
Not for me personally. RBR is only really still relevant if you have a PC, otherwise it was surpassed by DR1. SLRE, good though the physics and most stages may be, the sound, visuals, car models and controller playability were all poor. Good career mode though.

Not for me personally. RBR is only really still relevant if you have a PC, otherwise it was surpassed by DR1.
The PC version would be the one I'm referring to.
SLRE, good though the physics and most stages may be, the sound, visuals, car models and controller playability were all poor. Good career mode though.
Physics and stages make or break it for me, throw in a wheel and it's all good.

Don't get me wrong I like the DR series a lot, but the tarmac physics leave a lot to be desired, and for a title to be considered GOAT while getting one surface type wrong just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
The RallySimFans plugin for RBR is awesome, new physics that even Niels Heusinkveld said he'd uninstall AMS 1 for if he had to choose, hundreds of stages, amazing variety in cars with more being added periodically etc... Definitely worth a shot.

Back