DiRT Rally Thread

Any news on the actual real current content?

I have always supported Codies and will buy this anyway, but I will still feel somewhat concerned that this is going to be one of those "promise a lot, deliver months late" type Early Access things.... What does the current game actually give us for our money?

The amount of fun I'm having with this car and track. The Quattro is awesome, sounds so much better, feels faster and I love the way it bounces around.

6BF53A57F08A815B1E4D9ADDE9220834B702C2F1

Oh snap.

I'll either have to wait for any news on a future console release or upgrade from my current laptop sooner than I would have liked. Because this looks like it'll tick all the right boxes for it to be an ideal rally title.

Currently not having a good time with this. Dont get me wrong here, as it runs brilliantly on my system. Everything set up "ultra" and a stable 60FPS+ at 1080p. The issue I am facing however, is I just can not find a good feeling setup with the G27. The wheel seems to lock in the direction you are turning if the back end slides out, so it becomes very hard to counter steer. A must if driving one of the RWD rally cars in game. The FFB feels god awful as well, and it just doesn't seem to like 900DOR at all. Apparently the game is using the same engine as Dirt 3, from what I gathered while watching their livestream. Getting the impression it is geared towards controller users. Will have to play around a bit more with it.

Thing that is annoying me the most though, is I repeatedly asked them to expand on wheel support, recommended DOR, and all that other stuff. Which is something they should do if they want people to buy and play this.

Found in the FAQ - http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/dirt-rally-faq/

" When is DiRT Rally coming to console?

For now, we’re focussed on Early Access. It’s really important to us that we make DiRT Rally the best game it can be and we can only do that with your help. Steam Early Access is the perfect place for us to do that. We believe that DiRT Rally is the game many of our fans want and right now, our plan is to develop DIRT Rally with community feedback and get that experience absolutely right. Once we have done that, if there is sufficient demand for the DIRT Rally experience on consoles, then of course we’ll consider th
at. "

Really happy they are making a sim.. but I no longer have a gaming PC.. have not for many years. This is the only 'PC only' game I have been interested in but it is not worth building a pc just for it. Hopefully that 'consideration' for a console port quickly becomes a future plan, then not long after a work in progress.

Any news on the actual real current content?

I have always supported Codies and will buy this anyway, but I will still feel somewhat concerned that this is going to be one of those "promise a lot, deliver months late" type Early Access things.... What does the current game actually give us for our money?
This is what I have seen elsewhere.

Dirt Rally features at launch (which is right now) 17 cars and 36 stages taken from 3 different locations (Monte Carlo, Acropolis and Wales).

Edit: From the official website https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/about

• 17 Cars - Having hundreds of cars doesn’t interest us, rally is about having the right car and we intend on having all of the right cars. These 17 are just to get us started and we’ll be adding more cars over more classes as the year goes on.
  • 36 Stages - Winding paths through forests, death defying drops off hillsides and narrow mountain paths are what this is all about, it’s you and your car versus the road ahead. To get us started we’ll be heading to the muddy paths of Wales, the dusty trails of Greece and the icy tarmac of the legendary Monte Carlo rally.
  • Simulation handling - We’ve accurately recreated how every part of the car works and to support this we’ve developed a brand new physics model that simulates everything from the way the surface of the road behaves to limited slip differentials. This is how these cars drive and with real-world rallying experience on the team, a deep understanding of car setup and handling, countless visitors from the worlds of rally and rallycross plus the help of some of our biggest DiRT Fans we've got the handling as right as we can.
  • Team Management - Hire and fire your crew members each of whom which will have different skills, improving repair times for different parts of the car. Teach them new skills as they gain experience and work together as a team to improve your performance in events.
  • League Support - Get together with friends and run your very own racing league. You can join up to six leagues at any one time and run them how and when you want. For more information on setting up and joining a racing league visit select “Leagues” from the main menu.

The sudden surge of rally games this year is fantastic. For thus one I'm going to wait until the multilayer is added in, I can only do single player for so long. Otherwise, this looks to be what DIRT should have always been. :)

The sudden surge of rally games this year is fantastic. For thus one I'm going to wait until the multilayer is added in, I can only do single player for so long. Otherwise, this looks to be what DIRT should have always been. :)

• League Support - Get together with friends and run your very own racing league. You can join up to six leagues at any one time and run them how and when you want. For more information on setting up and joining a racing league visit select “Leagues” from the main menu.
You can create and join leagues from the official website already. Multiplayer is already there ;)

One of many reasons why I intend to move to PC in the near future. Guess I'm stuck here with Driveclub and GT6 for the time being :/

All the same, this looks really good. For an early build, it looks very promising. I just hope we get far more cars added. I'm sure Mr McRae would be proud :)

For anyone who has the game up and running, would you be willing to show some footage/screenshots of the car damage? I think they've improved it since Dirt 3

Found in the FAQ - http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/dirt-rally-faq/

" When is DiRT Rally coming to console?

For now, we’re focussed on Early Access. It’s really important to us that we make DiRT Rally the best game it can be and we can only do that with your help. Steam Early Access is the perfect place for us to do that. We believe that DiRT Rally is the game many of our fans want and right now, our plan is to develop DIRT Rally with community feedback and get that experience absolutely right. Once we have done that, if there is sufficient demand for the DIRT Rally experience on consoles, then of course we’ll consider th
at. "

Really happy they are making a sim.. but I no longer have a gaming PC.. have not for many years. This is the only 'PC only' game I have been interested in but it is not worth building a pc just for it. Hopefully that 'consideration' for a console port quickly becomes a future plan, then not long after a work in progress.
console for sure .. it's codemaster...

I've spent a good hour and a half of my evening watching the Twitch stream and several other gameplay videos and I'm grinning as we speak. It looks absolutely bloody fantastic and so damn glad about the direction they've taken with the game. It's basically what the core fans have been asking for since DiRT2. Tracks look tight, technical and lengthy enough, physics definitely appear to be on the simulation side of things and the UI is very simple and slick. Just the way it should be.

I hope this works out for them so we can see it on the consoles sometime next year, hopefully. Enjoy the game, PC users. I envy you. Throw a little bit of hate in there as well.

:P

Last edited:
For anyone who has the game up and running, would you be willing to show some footage/screenshots of the car damage? I think they've improved it since Dirt 3

No footage or screenshots but the damage is pretty good IMO, I can't remember what Dirt 3 was like but so far I've lost the tyre so I was just driving on the rim for half the stage, had a bumper fall off, and finished a stage with the exhaust dragging on the ground. Other than that I don't think I've crashed enough to cause more damage.

Just spent an hour driving the 60's mini and it's really quite good. It's defo a sim and whilst not quite as punishing as RBR if you don't drive correctly it seem like the game a lot of people have been waiting a long time for. I absolutely love the windscreen view. Graphics look good, handling is very nice and the stages are long and varied. This could turn out to be a fantastic game.

This looks like such a great game, I would totally buy it if it was available on consoles! :eek:

You can create and join leagues from the official website already. Multiplayer is already there ;)

And there's me not looking into things! Saw someone post a time line for updates and multilayer was on there for August and I thought it wasn't in the game. Thanks for the correction!

I just played a good 2 hours. Really good. But you need to map the handbrake somewhere reachable, or buy a handbrake :lol:

It's really needed, but otherwise, handles great, graphics are nice enough, sounds are good.

If you like rally, like rally not dirt1-3, buy dirt rally :lol:

@Legro Mini is in. Just hooned it for a good hour :)

This is a great year to be a gamer and a rally enthusiast! If I had the money, I would definitely get it. I'm looking forward to getting it sometime in the future.

Now I wish, I had a PC that could run the game.

Maybe you do, it doesn't need to be a fleshed out master race speced PC :lol:

• MD Athlon x2 Dual Core or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4Ghz
  • Memory:4 GB RAM
  • Graphics:AMD HD5450 or Nvidia GT430 or Intel HD4000 with 1GB of VRAM
  • Hard Drive:35 GB available space
  • Sound Card:DirectX Compatible soundcard

Maybe you do, it doesn't need to be a fleshed out master race speced PC :lol:

• MD Athlon x2 Dual Core or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4Ghz
  • Memory:4 GB RAM
  • Graphics:AMD HD5450 or Nvidia GT430 or Intel HD4000 with 1GB of VRAM
  • Hard Drive:35 GB available space
  • Sound Card:DirectX Compatible soundcard