Disable/Enable Standards on PS4 (settings option)

• Thread starter TurismoBad
  • 69 comments
I have a better idea. Why don't they get their lazy arses and try to make as much premiums as possible without putting in standards? Even if it means hiring more people that know what they're doing.
Because it's not like they're already trying to doing that.

That's the point I have been mentioning all the time. If everyone is satisfied with standards every time they release another game, they'll never get to turn them into premiums.
I don't agree with this. I really doubt that anyone in Polyphony doesn't care how their work is received by the community, so saying that the only reason things improve is because of complaining is off base. I know this is a popular PD meme on the nets, but I just can't agree with that.

But as to the question, if some people are so bothered by Standard cars that they suffer issues from them - while Standard tracks are okay to most gamers, go figure - maybe an install or filter option would be a good idea.

Well Polyphony has one person working on one premium car for six months.. Maybe they should think harder on how to make premiums much faster.
Creating 1600 car models is a time consuming task regardless of how many people they have working. And yes, 1600 models. 2 models per car.

Disable/Enable Standards on PS4 (settings option) will never work.

This is the best way to deal with standard cars in GT7 when you see them in the dealership just do not buy them and what is wrong with doing that.

Disable/Enable Standards on PS4 (settings option) will never work.

This is the best way to deal with standard cars in GT7 when you see them in the dealership just do not buy them and what is wrong with doing that.

Let's say it's the same type of problem as not using any punctuation and creating "breathless" phrases. ;) I can still understand what you mean, but it's much better for me if you could write properly.

For those who don't want standards and gazillion duplicates this is great - a clean and sleek dealership with only premiums. No need to scroll thru 4 pages of Miatas, no need to click on the car to see which one is premium - much better experience.

For those who don't want standards and gazillion duplicates this is great - a clean and sleek dealership with only premiums. No need to scroll thru 4 pages of Miatas, no need to click on the car to see which one is premium - much better experience.
You are saying things that will never work in a game just do not use standard cars in the game.

But as to the question, if some people are so bothered by Standard cars that they suffer issues from them - while Standard tracks are okay to most gamers, go figure - maybe an install or filter option would be a good idea.

While I can't speak to "suffering issues" from a video game, I'd argue that the gap between standard and premium tracks is not nearly as massive as standard and premium cars. Although the Red Bull Ring clearly looks better than say, Trial Mountain, Trial Mountain isn't necessarily a straight port from GT4. In terms of geometry it might share a lot, but the upgraded textures, lighting, and shadows make it look consistent with the rest of the tracks in the game.

Ultimately every game is pretty in some places and comparatively ugly in others. That's just the nature of game design. But as long as there's some aesthetic consistency between all the assets, that can be forgiven. In the case of GT's standard cars, there is no consistency - the gap between the good and the bad is far too wide to the point where it becomes jarring.

Ultimately every game is pretty in some places and comparatively ugly in others. That's just the nature of game design. But as long as there's some aesthetic consistency between all the assets, that can be forgiven. In the case of GT's standard cars, there is no consistency - the gap between the good and the bad is far too wide to the point where it becomes jarring.
Yes, but all the Standards aren't ugly. Some may disagree, but I disagree right back. In fact, I spent months in GT5 just taking pics of Standard cars. While they may cause issues in some people here, I find them quite enjoyable to race, to look at, and capture in Photo Mode where you can still see every flaw.

Clearly, I think just about everything has been said on the matter, no one is going to change their minds any time soon, so I think this discussion has reached its useful limit.

Clearly, I think just about everything has been said on the matter, no one is going to change their minds any time soon, so I think this discussion has reached its useful limit.

The Great Patriot of PD has spoken. ;)

Who knows, perhaps someone will change their mind, slim a chance as it maybe. :P

Long shots do come in, occasionally.

The Great Patriot of PD has spoken. ;)

Who knows, perhaps someone will change their mind, slim a chance as it maybe. :P

Long shots do come in, occasionally.
I never realized the purpose of threads was to change any minds:lol: If that's the case, then almost all threads are epic failures. The bigger purpose I think is simply to air out the thoughts and feelings of GT's biggest fanbase in the superslim hopes that someone from PD is actually reading and believe we are the pulse of the larger GT buying public. The Kaz Forum gives us some slim hope that this may be true.

This discussion reached its limit a week after GT5 came out. Still hasn't stopped any of us from talking about it for the past four years.
Yeah, but it seems that it's reached the point that all it does is cause ill will between the two sides. I can hardly wait to visit the boards when GT7 ships, and hear the same old complaints splashed all over about the Standard cars and tracks that have been recycled like Gran Turismo's engine sounds.

What I'm hoping is that the modeling team has secretly been reworking many of the Standard cars to the level of the SuperStandards like the RUFs, so that would at least temper the critics somewhat. And the tracks, including all the legacy tracks, are given a face lift as well, with better textures, 3D trees and more polygons all around. I guess we'll have to wait to see on that, because the game is a good year off or so.

I never realized the purpose of threads was to change any minds:lol: If that's the case, then almost all threads are epic failures. The bigger purpose I think is simply to air out the thoughts and feelings of GT's biggest fanbase in the superslim hopes that someone from PD is actually reading and believe we are the pulse of the larger GT buying public. The Kaz Forum gives us some slim hope that this may be true.

So......... unless I missed something you are hoping to change Kaz's mind with a forum thread.
Epic failure indeed.
Although, like I said, long shots do come in, occasionally.
So there is always hope.

I always found the standard car issue interesting because it is so unique in this industry. I mean, can you think of any other game that's attempted such an aggressive, cross-generational strategy regarding legacy content? And in this instance I don't mean that as evidence that it's a good or bad idea - in fact, despite my strong anti-standards stance even I have to admit that I'm shocked no other developer has tried anything like it before. So I think people keep going on about this topic because it's so unusual. It's quite different than whining about poor engine sounds or the lack of a livery editor; complaining about something a game doesn't have is very, very easy to do. This is about two completely different philosophies of game design. It's about quality vs. quantity when resources are extremely limited and where the line between the two should be drawn. When is it right to sacrifice one for the other?

What I'm hoping is that the modeling team has secretly been reworking many of the Standard cars to the level of the SuperStandards like the RUFs, so that would at least temper the critics somewhat.

It might. If critics are going to be pleased - in 2015, at the earliest - with models that sort-of, kind-of, could stand up to the standards set last generation remains to be seen.

I always found the standard car issue interesting because it is so unique in this industry. I mean, can you think of any other game that's attempted such an aggressive, cross-generational strategy regarding legacy content? And in this instance I don't mean that as evidence that it's a good or bad idea - in fact, despite my strong anti-standards stance even I have to admit that I'm shocked no other developer has tried anything like it before. So I think people keep going on about this topic because it's so unusual. It's quite different than whining about poor engine sounds or the lack of a livery editor; complaining about something a game doesn't have is very, very easy to do. This is about two completely different philosophies of game design. It's about quality vs. quantity when resources are extremely limited and where the line between the two should be drawn. When is it right to sacrifice one for the other?

Except resources aren't extremely limited; this is a first-party dev given a gigantic pile of money during the PS3 era and very nearly free-run with regards to a deadline, at least with GT5. It is true that it isn't really seen in the industry though. The closest thing would be something like Nintendo's never-ending recycling of Mario, but even then, it tends to be more "re-imagined" or more obviously re-used under the idea of "classic" or "vintage". It also isn't really being made to share game-space with cutting-edge stuff, in the way a pixelated Gran Turismo 3 car can share the track with an LFA in GT6.

The general consensus is that nobody else has tried this quantity-over-everything approach because they'd get (rightly, IMO) criticized for it. But as nobody else has done it, I guess we can't really know that for sure. I doubt we'll see devs lining up to do it any time soon, though...

Last edited:
Except resources aren't extremely limited; this is a first-party dev given a gigantic pile of money during the PS3 era and very nearly free-run with regards to a deadline, at least with GT5.

Well PD is also pretty awful at prioritizing so I won't disagree with you about squandering money. But resources are always limited, especially given that we're talking about a relatively small, closely-knit team that would likely rather shut its doors than admit it needs help and ask for assistance.

The general consensus is that nobody else has tried this quantity-over-everything approach because they'd get (rightly, IMO) criticized for it. But as nobody else has done it, I guess we can't really know that for sure. I doubt we'll see devs lining up to do it any time soon, though...

PD barely gets away with it (at least around these parts) because of the weight of their franchise. I doubt smaller devs would, and I really doubt the mainstream audience is as understanding as most people here are. That's the point though, nobody else has attempted it so we don't know. And regardless of whether or not you think it's a horrible idea (I clearly do), there are certainly people here that will fight you to the death on it. So nobody can argue there isn't a market that out there that appreciates it - however small it might be.

Yeah, but it seems that it's reached the point that all it does is cause ill will between the two sides. I can hardly wait to visit the boards when GT7 ships, and hear the same old complaints splashed all over about the Standard cars and tracks that have been recycled like Gran Turismo's engine sounds.

What I'm hoping is that the modeling team has secretly been reworking many of the Standard cars to the level of the SuperStandards like the RUFs, so that would at least temper the critics somewhat. And the tracks, including all the legacy tracks, are given a face lift as well, with better textures, 3D trees and more polygons all around. I guess we'll have to wait to see on that, because the game is a good year off or so.
That is right, we are never going to get a racing game without members on here complaining about that game and it does not matter how good the game is.

That is right, we are never going to get a racing game without members on here complaining about that game and it does not matter how good the game is.
There is no such thing as a perfect game, every game has flaws. People like and dislike aspects of every game. Thanks to the glory of the internet we get to gather here and air our concerns. That's life.

I'd like Polyphony to release a game fit for 2015, not 2000. It's pathetic how they have to hold on to old assets that they should've, and could've, upgraded years and years ago. An option to turn the standards off would be more than welcome in my books but I still want PD to just dump them altogether.

Back