Disappointed - But Optimistic!

• Thread starter Chad151515
  • 250 comments
Have you had a look at the free GT Sport demo? It shows how just poor the graphics are in PC2.

PC2 by comparison are grainy, seemingly lacking AA, very low fps and gets frequent slowdowns especially when you get the telemetry up you can visually see the drop in fps. They're glitchy, flickery, pixelated - pixelated close-up bonnets of your own car look like something out of the 90's. The particle effects for water/dust are of terrible low quality. Some of the cars even have borders around them like they are cut-outs by a 5yo. Really poor effort all round.

GT Sport is in a different league. The graphics seem really high res, very well shaded. There's no pixelation, no slowdown at all. Looks like 60fps at all times. Motion blur on everything in motion. Sun glinting really brightly off the shiny parts. The dust actually looks like dust - really fine detail.

Take a look at the tarmac on PC2 for e.g. it looks grainy and pixelated at all times. On GTS is looks smooth and well, like tarmac at speed, until you slow down, then you can see more of the surface detail. As you'd expect.

Don't forget about the drawing distance! It's horrendous! Watch replays and see a cube turns into a car gradually!
I have never been a graphics jerk! I always preferred gameplay over graphics! And for that reason, I still like PC2
But it's the first time I was shocked by graphics! Maybe due to the massive hype pre-release! Really disappointed!

@Sick Cylinder could it be that you are a bit confusing graphics with visuals or effects?!
Weather effects overall or visuals (like sunsets or sunrises) look awesome! Really poetic! But did you look on the AA, the pixelation, the rendering errors, the disgusting drawing distance, the flickering, etc...?

I was once disappointed, but now I’m very optimistic about PC2.
I practically didn’t touch the game for the last 3 weeks at all after being frustrated with it and convincing myself it was never going to be playable with a controller on the PS4.

Fast forward to today and I’m really REALLY enjoying it, not sure exactly how much has changed handling/controller wise with the 2.0 patch, but I spent a fair few hours tweaking the settings and found something that really really works for me. Even with authentic setting on the assists.

Will post the settings in the controller settings thread if anyone’s curious to try them. I tried loads of different settings from other people but none of them left me feeling quite satisfied before now.

On the topic of the graphics of PC2, I initially found them to be very dull and flat, but earlier on I turned off the “Post-Processing Filters” under the Visual FX settings and am finding it much more vibrant and seems to have a better to look it. Has anyone else noticed this?

I practically didn’t touch the game for the last 3 weeks at all after being frustrated with it and convincing myself it was never going to be playable with a controller on the PS4.

Fast forward to today and I’m really REALLY enjoying it, not sure exactly how much has changed handling/controller wise with the 2.0 patch, but I spent a fair few hours tweaking the settings and found something that really really works for me. Even with authentic setting on the assists.

Will post the settings in the controller settings thread if anyone’s curious to try them. I tried loads of different settings from other people but none of them left me feeling quite satisfied before now.

On the topic of the graphics of PC2, I initially found them to be very dull and flat, but earlier on I turned off the “Post-Processing Filters” under the Visual FX settings and am finding it much more vibrant and seems to have a better to look it. Has anyone else noticed this?

I turned it off and thought it looked better , I also turned the sharpness down on my tv settings and again it looked better.

I turned it off and thought it looked better , I also turned the sharpness down on my tv settings and again it looked better.
I'll give these a try next time. Thanks for the tips. 👍

Was that race 4/4 you spoke of the very Ruapuna Park Club with what looked like some white dust on the track? Just a wild guess.
For me I started on Formula Rookie and when I reached race 4/4 up came the very Ruapuna Park Club as the track in the Asia championship and I could never get past the first straight past the pit exit, far more the corner as poor Formula Rookie skidded every which way. Poor thing, I felt sorry for him and and embarrassed for myself. After many tries including changing all tyres I gave up. So there I stand until whatever patches are released for PS4 to continue.

Yep that's the one. During the career I do hot lapping in between races on the next track in the racing series - so I was actually REALLY looking forward to the final race, it's an awesome track! I look forward to coming across it again in dry/rain conditions.

I managed to increase my lap times during the race, and only spin out on the final lap on the final turn to that leads to the straight. But with AI set to -0- it didn't matter much, still finished like :20 ahead of the next driver lol.

I haven't played since then, about 5 days ago, but will be starting the next series in the championship tonight. Fingers crossed that their are no snow racing curveballs in that one.

Anyone play with the patch yet? Haven`t been able to get on and turn any laps. Hearing the patch messed with the downshifting.

Last edited:
Hearing the patch messed with the downshifting.
You mean the feature that prevents a sequential gearbox from downshifting if downshifting would result in over-revving? E.g. you can't shift down if you're near the redline. If you run into this a lot you're shifting down way too early.

Many cars, and I think a lot or all of the sequential gearbox cars, have a downshift protection system which means you can't slam the brake pedal and drop off gears with the paddles in fractions of a second. It has to realistically go down the gear, albeit faster than an H-Gate but still something physically moving in a gearbox has to be simulated. Those actual parts can't downshift superfast like that because it would wear them out so there's a way to make sure you can't downshift until you are below a certain RPM level.

It makes sense but you may have to adjust your braking points to be a slight bit longer. I also noticed you can downshift quicker if you're not on the brakes 100%.

I was driving the R.S.01 Trophy with default setup. ABS on high and brake pressure is 95%. I found I didn't need to slam the brakes at my normal braking zones because they were that good. In doing so I could quickly downshift through the gears usually 6th to 2nd or 5th to 3rd. I was driving around Dubai.

I'm tabling this for the next few months myself.

Jerome

You mean the feature that prevents a sequential gearbox from downshifting if downshifting would result in over-revving? E.g. you can't shift down if you're near the redline. If you run into this a lot you're shifting down way too early.

Many cars, and I think a lot or all of the sequential gearbox cars, have a downshift protection system which means you can't slam the brake pedal and drop off gears with the paddles in fractions of a second. It has to realistically go down the gear, albeit faster than an H-Gate but still something physically moving in a gearbox has to be simulated. Those actual parts can't downshift superfast like that because it would wear them out so there's a way to make sure you can't downshift until you are below a certain RPM level.

It makes sense but you may have to adjust your braking points to be a slight bit longer. I also noticed you can downshift quicker if you're not on the brakes 100%.

I was driving the R.S.01 Trophy with default setup. ABS on high and brake pressure is 95%. I found I didn't need to slam the brakes at my normal braking zones because they were that good. In doing so I could quickly downshift through the gears usually 6th to 2nd or 5th to 3rd. I was driving around Dubai.

All about the realism! Was just curious thats all. Looking forward to trying the patch out!

Yep that's the one. During the career I do hot lapping in between races on the next track in the racing series - so I was actually REALLY looking forward to the final race, it's an awesome track! I look forward to coming across it again in dry/rain conditions.

I managed to increase my lap times during the race, and only spin out on the final lap on the final turn to that leads to the straight. But with AI set to -0- it didn't matter much, still finished like :20 ahead of the next driver lol.

I haven't played since then, about 5 days ago, but will be starting the next series in the championship tonight. Fingers crossed that their are no snow racing curveballs in that one.

Had a funny feeling it was in that race and track. The good news is since installing patch 2.0 yesterday evening I went back to try again and all the issues there haver been resolved. Since the weather stated "Clear" I once again put on Slick tyres (which didn't work before patch) and had no problems anymore with car stability and traction. Only thing is the AI still seemed too fast, even at 20%. After a couple tries I ended up winning the final race and championship and am now able to progress further.

Don’t have kids but got enough things going on that it’s usually my all-in time for pCARS too :) Too bad no one wants to run a league after midnight or at 6am lol

Yea of the 20 lobbies we get in PC2 I'm sure we'd be racing against someone in Croatia or something #datping

Jerome

Anyone play with the patch yet? Haven`t been able to get on and turn any laps. Hearing the patch messed with the downshifting.

The patch made lots of welcome improvements including menu freezing eliminated.

However they added downshift protection and it's not quite functioning correctly. The shift protection is set way too low on most cars. I preferred it completely manual before where it was up to the driver to not ram the pistons through the block or lock the rear up.

Yeah, although me going all-in isn't like most people, I'm lucky if I can get an hour or more a day with two young kids :lol:

Jerome
Funny coz I can't go all-in in gaming too because I have two young kids, the smaller being "Jerome", the bigger being "Jean-Paul" or JP!
:cheers:

I preferred it completely manual before where it was up to the driver to not ram the pistons through the block or lock the rear up.
That's still possible with the manual gearboxes. And like I said above, I read on the official forums that they're going to tweak the behavior a bit. So far I have run into it only once or twice when pushing for TT records.

Oh interesting. I've been getting this in various GT3 cars. I thought it me! I've never been one not to lack care on downshifts.

I thought i was imagine that, I've put tons of hours into the Cayman GT4 and now the downshifts are incredibly quiet and seem to be delayed. Really odd.

Hi,

tried a few laps after patched. Now it sometimes doesn't downshift, have to use the paddle twice for the first downshift. Has worked well before the patch, still works in other games.

Standard PS4, T300.

D.

Shift protection by the sounds of it , does it do it when shifting down with low revs ? If the revs are too high some boxes won't let you shift down violently .

Here you go... It's been confirmed.

Funny coz I can't go all-in in gaming too because I have two young kids, the smaller being "Jerome", the bigger being "Jean-Paul" or JP!
:cheers:

Nice! It's not a common name (yet). I keep thinking it will be since people are naming their kids Obsidian and Hucklebee to be "original".....SMH.

Jerome

I turned some laps for my league race tonight at Long Beach in the IndyCar. I feel no difference with the downshifting. Which is a good thing.

Few things that we are currently having issues with.

- Performance impacting damage is way too intense. You tap a cone or hit a kerb too hard you get MAJOR damage.
- Constant lag outs.
- Lobby freezes.

Few more minor things but those 3 drastically effect league races.

I turned some laps for my league race tonight at Long Beach in the IndyCar. I feel no difference with the downshifting. Which is a good thing.

Doesn't really effect open wheel cara that have fast gear box's... more of an issue in GT cars... relevant details in the downshifting issues thread

Shift protection thing sums the game up really - they introduce it in a patch to fix other things but it itself doesn't work properly and is going to be addressed in a future patch - why introduce it when it's not ready!?

Maybe SMS are trying to run before they can walk but I'm only sad that this game has well and truly not lived up to expectations.

Might just be my own opinion but go see for yourself the reviews on Amazon for the game - they tell you everything.

Latest Posts

Back