Disc Golf

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 36 comments

Max Powers

(Banned)
XBL: MelBlount
MelBlount
So does anybody here play? If you don't know what it is it's similar to normal golf except for with special frisbees that you throw, each hole has a tee-off area, fairway, and a basket which serves as the hole. I just started playing it this spring and I'm already hooked, I'm going to buy my own discs today (my friends have tons of spares, so I've been playing with theirs). We have a really nice course really close to my house too. My favorite thing about it though is that it's completely free, which is good for a poor college student like myself.

I'm not the best yet, but I'm certainly improving with every game that I play, especially in the area of driving, which used to kill me at first, but now I can get some pretty long, accurate drives. I usually finish a round well over par, but my number of pars each game is steadily improving as well.

I love frisbee golf! A couple summers ago, a friend and I went into town at night and made a course that went across streets, through parking lots, and over buildings. It took a while, but we finally came up with 18 good holes, and gave them all sexually-suggestive names. We played the course once, me being a few (strokes?) under par, him being a few over. It took too long, so we never played it again :lol:

You should try going to a real course then, it's a lot more fun and you don't have to map out the holes yourself. There's public courses all over the country and all the ones I know of in my area are free.

There's a great disc golf course in Huntington Beach, CA that my dad, my brother and I frequent during the summer. I think it costs $1 for a round, just for maintenence costs. It's a great way to spend a lazy summer afternoon.

I like playing Disc Golf, but it's not really popular around this area, so there is not really that much for courses in the area. When I do play it though, I usually play very well, even though the disc doesn't necessarily go the way I wanted it to.

So does anybody else play? I've been at it for a little over a year now, and my game still improves every day.

Right now in my bag I have:
Champion Beast - my first disc, and also one of my most reliable drivers
Champion Leopard
Champion Orc
Champion Teebird
Pro Firebird
and an Aero for my putter

I really need to get myself some midrange discs here soon as I almost always overshoot my approach shots.

As I said before, there are tons of public courses springing up around the country, and it is a good, inexpensive way to spend a nice afternoon outside.

I mentioned this in the Announcements thread and Max Powers pointed this thread out to me, so I am digging it up from the grave.

I got started by buying the Frisbee Disc Golf Starter Kit.
dscf3777snu.jpg

It comes with a driver, mid-range approach, and a putter, as well as a marker, bag and towel.

I've got a disc golf thread somewhere in the sports forum. It's a lot of fun, and while its pretty easy to pick up, it takes a long time to master.
Yeah, and you shouldn't start on a course described online as, "not recommended for beginners." I spent half my day digging through underbrush because some of the holes had only 15 foot wide fairways.

Any good courses out there? Are they free? Most here don't cost anything to play.
We have quite a few courses around here, plenty of which are free. I know of three in public parks and one in the southern part of the state that is actually spread over a college campus.

You can see the stuff in my area at louisvillediscgolf.com. There area lot that I haven't looked into yet, but judging by their map I would guess that some others are also in parks, but I do know some are setups on private property. Some of the private property courses are just enthusiasts who will let you play for free as long as you ask in advance.

As this looks to be something I will be doing regularly in the future I could use any advice anyone has for how to select discs.

Hm. Disc selection can be tough at first, especially if you're not sure what throwing style you're comfortable with. The most common is the backhand shot, which is thrown a lot like a normal frisbee would be. A lot of people prefer to toss forehand though (myself included) which requires different disc selections.

The two best brands for discs are Innova and Discraft. I use mostly Innova, as it is harder to find Discraft discs in stores around me.

Personally, I like Innova's champion line of discs the most for drivers. They are made very durably and sturdy, and fly better for me than the same discs made in their less expensive material (called DX). A champion disc will run between 15 and 20 dollars usually. My favorite two discs are the Champion Beast, and the Champion Tee-Bird, both from innova. They are both relatively straight flying discs that get a lot of distance on both the forehand and backhand, and are relatively easy to throw. They're both distance drivers, but for me anyway, those tend to be my most crucial discs.

My mid range discs are usually made of the cheaper plastics as I'm not throwing them far enough to need the added stability of the better plastics, same goes for putters. For those discs, it was just trial and error for me until I found the ones I liked.

For a midrange I use an Innova DX Coyote, and for putts I use an Innova DX Aviar (very popular putter). I would also suggest checking out Innova's site. They have a ton of information for beginners, and a lot of information on proper disc selection as well.

Hahaha, my whole post is an innova ad, but those are the only discs I really have experience with.

Edit: What you have looks pretty good for a starter set though.

I really didn't have much choice in my disc selection, as I had 48 hours notice that my friend was wanting to try this and these were the only discs I could find without hitting the mall sporting good stores, like Dick's.

Plus, that whole set was $15 and wouldn't have put me out much if I decided I didn't like it.

If I really get into it I figure I will get a more expensive set of discs and use these for practice at home, since I am typically trying to use a tree or bush as a target.

Besides, this set came with a towel, bottle holder, and enough room to stash three beer bottles in the bag (priorities).

I figured it wasn't a "nice" set as Meijer isn't much of a step above Wal*Mart.

I have to wtahc where I throw them at home though, because my Chihuahua looks like he wants to chase after them. I might see if he will chase the marker though.

But as I understand it, heavier discs will tend to fly farther/straighter, correct? Our biggest issue was wind in some of the more open holes.

Yeah, the heavier discs tend to be made of the more stable plastics, such as the champion ones I mentioned. My best strategy for avoiding high winds though is just keeping the disc nice and low.

Shame you don't have a bigger dog than a Chihuahua, or you could do what I do and make the dog do all of your leg work when practicing at home. He's a lot better than me at finding them in the woods too. As long as I have another one ready to throw to him, he'll always bring it back. I imagine the disc is probably bigger than your dog is, though.

Yeah, the heavier discs tend to be made of the more stable plastics, such as the champion ones I mentioned. My best strategy for avoiding high winds though is just keeping the disc nice and low.
I am sure that would have been a nice option had the course we were on not required throwing over some deep ravines or down steep inclines.

So, I am curious what normal lengths for holes are. We had a lot of par 3 holes that weren't too big, 300 feet max, with a couple of par 4 300+ foot (hole 18 was 600+ feet) holes.

Also, the ads that Frisbee snuck into my starter kit talked about sharp turning drivers and S-turn drivers. Can these things actually be useful, or is it something that I will never find use for until/if I get better?

I do know that I want a heavier driver as the one that I got even says it is for medium length drives and they had a few others advertised for longer lengths. The more I look into it the more I am realizing that discs could be as complex as golf clubs.

Shame you don't have a bigger dog than a Chihuahua, or you could do what I do and make the dog do all of your leg work when practicing at home. He's a lot better than me at finding them in the woods too. As long as I have another one ready to throw to him, he'll always bring it back. I imagine the disc is probably bigger than your dog is, though.
Yeah, my dog only weighs about 5.5 pounds. If he tried to catch a driver it would probably knock him out, or worse. Fortunately at home I have a good open field, which also doubles as a golf driving range. It used to be a tobacco farm before my wife's grandparents retired. There are a few small trees and bushes that make good makeshift targets, and enough to be able to throw one way and then back again.

OK, I need a bit of help figuring out what exactly I am looking at. I have decided to get a few more discs and started looking online at the manufacturer's sites to try to determine what I am looking for.

I have looked at Discraft, Innova, and Frisbee. All three use different rating systems.

Discraft talks about what they call a Line Availabilty/Stability rating, which is given in decimal points like (1.8) or (1.5). I have seen (0.0). Zero appears to be most straight.

Frisbee just talks about low-high profile and if it is good for hyzer/anhyzer shots. I don't even know what that last part means. Something about Turnover, I guess, which is how they describe their turning and fade?

Innova is the most descriptive with their Speed, Glide, Turn, and Fade ratings and huge comparison charts, but it is the easiets to understand.

My problem is that everyone is using their own system and it is hard to compare across brands.

At the end of the day I will be likely to go with Innova just because I can actually see what they are trying to tell me. But if anyone can translate between them for me it would be appreciated.

Hello everyone.

I was just curious to see if anyone in these forums play Disc Golf.I've been playing for 12 years now and i'm a local pro here in Northeast TN.

I would post some links to some info for you guys that have never heard of this,but i'm not sure if it's against the rules.Believe me there are quite a bit of people who have never heard of this.

So just google Disc Golf,Innova or DiscCraft to find out more.

Also for those who do play feel free to post up your favorite course,best score,best shot and how many aces you have.

Mine are:
Favorite Course - Warriors State Path Disc Golf Course
Best Score - 14 under par at Wingdeer park.
Best Shot - 200+ feet Anyhyzer shot downhill,between 2 trees,nothing but basket
Aces - 13

I would post some links to some info for you guys that have never heard of this,but i'm not sure if it's against the rules.
Unless the sites you're going to link to have ladies playing disc golf topless, I can't see how there would be a problem.

I've always wanted to play, and there are a few courses in town, I've just never gone.

And this thread could be merged with the thread we already have, if a Mod would be so kind. :)

I'm a casual player, no aces. Favorite course is Cameron Park in Waco. Best front 9 I've ever played. I've had a number of sweet shots there, don't keep up with numbers, though. I keep track of my score on a hole-to-hole basis, and I usually par or birdie. Best score is prolly something like 6 or 7 under on a full 18.

TB
Unless the sites you're going to link to have ladies playing disc golf topless, I can't see how there would be a problem.

I've always wanted to play, and there are a few courses in town, I've just never gone.

And this thread could be merged with the thread we already have, if a Mod would be so kind. :)

my apologies.

It was late,i was tired and i didn't think to look for the same thread(usually there isn't :P).

I played this summer on the side of a mountain in Colorado. Boy, that was tough!

Where do you play in Houston? The only course I've been to is Bridgeland, way out in Katy. I've heard there's a couple others around town, no clue where or how good they are, though. I tend to like technical courses rather than really crazy long drives.

Where do you play in Houston? The only course I've been to is Bridgeland, way out in Katy. I've heard there's a couple others around town, no clue where or how good they are, though. I tend to like technical courses rather than really crazy long drives.

I don't know. Most parks in the city have courses, since a few years back, the sport got popular in Houston for some reason.

You would love the courses here in Northeast TN.Warriors State Path Park and Wingdeer Park are very technical and require more finesse than power.

I had some great rounds on Monday playing at Wingdeer Park.

First round i shot -9 under par and my second round i shot -12 under par.I almost matched my best score there but missed 2 putts within 25ft.

It was very comfortable as well.The temperature was 72 and a slight breeze.I barely broke a sweat.I love this time of year. :)

Just thought I would bring this thread back to life.It's that time of the year again.:)

Are any of you guys still playing?

I had to take a year off because of my shoulder.I just started back a month ago and developed a new putting style that is much more consistent than my old style.

I also developed a forehand throw and now I can throw with my left hand now.I started using my left hand because of some get out of jail shots for which I wasn't able to use a forehand or backhand shot.

I never really shared what's in my bag.I know they say stick to what you know and only carry a few discs but many versions of those discs,but I've played for so many years now(13 since i took a year off) that i know what each disc will do.

Ok my bag(Warning it's a lot :lol:)

All Innova Discs

Distance Drivers
Champion Firebird - Big Hyzers,Sidearm and Windy days
Pro Wraith - Big Distance Drives,Long Controlled Hyzers
Pro Line Monster - Sidearm Hyzers,Spike shots and Big Skip shots
Pro Destroyer - Big Hyzers,Sidearm distance drives and Windy Days
Star Sidewinder - Big Turnover Shots and Roller shots
Star Beast - Slow Hyzer Distance Shots and Roller shots
Champion Viking - Heavily wooded low flying Hyzer shots
Star Valkyrie - Heavily wooded low flying straight shots and roller shots

Fairway Drivers
KC Pro Cheetah - Controlled Turnover shots,straight shots and rollers
KC Pro Whippet - Hyzer Shots and Sidearm shots
KC Pro Gazelle - Slow Hyzers,low flying shots and Windy days
Champion Eagle - Hyzers,Spike shots,sidearms and Windy days

Mid-Range Drivers
Champion Panther - Controlled Turnover Shots,straight shots,wooded shots and Rollers
Star Spider - Low Flying Hyzers,wooded shots and sidearms
Champion Cobra - Straight Shots and big turnover shots
KC Pro Roc - Hyzer Shots,Long controlled Turnover Shots and Windy Days
Star Shark - Hyzer Shots,Straight Shots,sidearm shots and Windy days

Putters
2 KC Pro Aviars - My Main Putters.Great in the wind and best putters to use.
Champion Rhyno - Short Hyzer shots,trick shots and windy days
Pro Line Rhyno - Short Straight Drives,controlled Turnover Shots and short sidearm shots
DX Classic Roc - Short Downhill Straight Drives and Short Downhill Turnover shots
R-Pro Dart - Short Straight uphill drives and Long Uphill turnover drives

Well that's my bag.If you notice I have some discs that are used for Windy days.It's best to have at least a Driver,Fairway Driver,Mid-Range and Putter that is good in the wind.You never know when you will need them.The reason I gave a description is to better help some of you in knowing what these disc can do and to help with your future disc selections.

Let me know if you guys are still playing so we can get back into some Disc Golf talk.

I'm still into playing but for health reasons I'm only good for about 9 holes on a relatively flat course. My daughter loves to watch and get my disc for me, which is why I don't take her when I play with others. I don't mind her moving my disc when there is no competition. It's cute.

I did buy her the small two-foot tall indoor set that uses the marker mini discs. She will pull it out, bring me the six discs that came with it, and say, "Do it, Daddy." Then after I throw them she picks them up and brings them to me. I'm contemplating getting an outdoor goal for home and practicing my putting and having her bring me my discs.

Plus, I need the practice. I suck at long putts.

I also have a disc golf game on my iPhone. Not great, but fun when bored. Disc golf has been the only reason I've considered Move for the PS3, but I can't find a review of the flight physics to see if it's worth it.

I'm still into playing but for health reasons I'm only good for about 9 holes on a relatively flat course. My daughter loves to watch and get my disc for me, which is why I don't take her when I play with others. I don't mind her moving my disc when there is no competition. It's cute.

I did buy her the small two-foot tall indoor set that uses the marker mini discs. She will pull it out, bring me the six discs that came with it, and say, "Do it, Daddy." Then after I throw them she picks them up and brings them to me. I'm contemplating getting an outdoor goal for home and practicing my putting and having her bring me my discs.

Plus, I need the practice. I suck at long putts.

I also have a disc golf game on my iPhone. Not great, but fun when bored. Disc golf has been the only reason I've considered Move for the PS3, but I can't find a review of the flight physics to see if it's worth it.

That's pretty cool to hear that the little one enjoys watching you play.That 2 foot tall indoor set sounds pretty neat.

I would go for the Practice basket.You can get the Cheaper Ching baskets or go for the portable ones which are a bit more price wise.If I didn't have my basket I would have never found my new putting style which is much more consistent.It's worth it to have one.

I have the Disc Golf game(part of Sports Champions on PS3) and it is quite fun.The flight physics are pretty close.You have the hyzer,Turnover,straight shots,Tomahawks and sidearm shots.Putting doesn't feel like it should in real life,since you can't pitch putt,but you can throw it just straight at it.The game is quite fun and I still play it from time to time.

*edit* oh and you only have 3 discs on Sports Champons Disc Golf game.You have a Driver,Mid-Range and Putter.

I have the Disc Golf game(part of Sports Champions on PS3) and it is quite fun.The flight physics are pretty close.You have the hyzer,Turnover,straight shots,Tomahawks and sidearm shots.Putting doesn't feel like it should in real life,since you can't pitch putt,but you can throw it just straight at it.The game is quite fun and I still play it from time to time.
So better than the Tiger Woods version on my Wii? I say that having not played since Tiger Woods '07.

*edit* oh and you only have 3 discs on Sports Champons Disc Golf game.You have a Driver,Mid-Range and Putter.
This is disturbingly common in disc golf video games. It can't be that hard to get a licensing deal with Innova and/or Discraft. You can even make them purchasable with in-game credits won in tournaments or something and it gives you a more long-term goal than just a mini game. Heck, even if it were part of a pack, like Sports Champions, you could have equipment upgrades across the board.

And it can't be that much harder to add varying flight characteristics based on disc design and weight. The physics and flight engine is in place, just have your algorithms based on variables whose value is determined by the disc being used. They already do it to a degree with how far it should go based on the range type. But I think it would be awesome for me to be at that long putt, short drive boundary and based on wind characteristics have to choose between a stable, yet easily affected by wind, lightweight putter or my 165g Cobra (I think that is the one I use for those shots without looking at my discs - I tend to grab by color).

So better than the Tiger Woods version on my Wii? I say that having not played since Tiger Woods '07.

This is disturbingly common in disc golf video games. It can't be that hard to get a licensing deal with Innova and/or Discraft. You can even make them purchasable with in-game credits won in tournaments or something and it gives you a more long-term goal than just a mini game. Heck, even if it were part of a pack, like Sports Champions, you could have equipment upgrades across the board.

And it can't be that much harder to add varying flight characteristics based on disc design and weight. The physics and flight engine is in place, just have your algorithms based on variables whose value is determined by the disc being used. They already do it to a degree with how far it should go based on the range type. But I think it would be awesome for me to be at that long putt, short drive boundary and based on wind characteristics have to choose between a stable, yet easily affected by wind, lightweight putter or my 165g Cobra (I think that is the one I use for those shots without looking at my discs - I tend to grab by color).

Tiger Woods is fun(i have the Masters for my PS3),but it's two different types of fun when you compare the two.One you have clubs the other you have discs.

Since I'm a fan of both Golf and Disc Golf it's hard for me to tell you which is more fun.I like them both.

I would like to see a Disc Golf game as well.There has been some in the past(on PC),but I would like to see one as well.

There are so many different brands of discs now that I'm sure they could get the money together to make the game.

Starfirebird
Tiger Woods is fun(i have the Masters for my PS3),but it's two different types of fun when you compare the two.One you have clubs the other you have discs.

Since I'm a fan of both Golf and Disc Golf it's hard for me to tell you which is more fun.I like them both.

I would like to see a Disc Golf game as well.There has been some in the past(on PC),but I would like to see one as well.
I was referring to the disc golf mini game in Tiger Woods '07 on the Wii. I thought it was across all versions. I don't by $60 sports games more than every five years, and the Online Pass issue has made me not want to buy any of them, so if it was a one time or Wii only thing I wouldn't know.

I was referring to the disc golf mini game in Tiger Woods '07 on the Wii. I thought it was across all versions. I don't by $60 sports games more than every five years, and the Online Pass issue has made me not want to buy any of them, so if it was a one time or Wii only thing I wouldn't know.

I'm not sure as I didn't own the '07 version.The reason I got Tiger Woods 2012 Masters was because it was fully compatible with the PS3 Move and it had the Augusta Course :).

Oh yeah,I went out to the local Walgreens after work and bought me a Star Boss.I heard if you like the Wraith and the Destroyer you will like the Boss.Luckily I found a Flat one.To explain myself,some discs have a dome type top and some have a flat top of the disc.The flatter discs fly through the air faster and are easier to control.

I'm going to head to Warriors in the morning and try it out.I have about 5 holes I can use it on.I'll let you know how it does.

I'm not sure as I didn't own the '07 version.The reason I got Tiger Woods 2012 Masters was because it was fully compatible with the PS3 Move and it had the Augusta Course :).

Oh yeah,I went out to the local Walgreens after work and bought me a Star Boss.I heard if you like the Wraith and the Destroyer you will like the Boss.Luckily I found a Flat one.To explain myself,some discs have a dome type top and some have a flat top of the disc.The flatter discs fly through the air faster and are easier to control.

I'm going to head to Warriors in the morning and try it out.I have about 5 holes I can use it on.I'll let you know how it does.

Walgreens carries discs in your area? The only store that sells any supplies locally is a specialty shoe store owned by a guy that plays. He dedicated about a 10 foot section Even in Louisville or Lexington I have to go to over-sized sports stores to find anything other than the three-disc starter pack. Fortunately, the Cincinnati area has disc golf specialty stores and my brother lives up there.

Back