Disc Golf

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 36 comments
Walgreens carries discs in your area? The only store that sells any supplies locally is a specialty shoe store owned by a guy that plays. He dedicated about a 10 foot section Even in Louisville or Lexington I have to go to over-sized sports stores to find anything other than the three-disc starter pack. Fortunately, the Cincinnati area has disc golf specialty stores and my brother lives up there.

Yup.Walgreens has a bunch.

They have this 4th section full of Discraft and Innova Discs.They even have bags as well.There is also Mahoney's,Alpine Ski Shop and Colonial Heights Pharmacy that has discs.

Disc Golf has taken off over the past few years in my area,so more places carry discs now.

I'm sure you guys have days when you get frustrated with your putting game.Even though I've had my ups and downs with the KC Pro Aviar I've stuck with it after so many years until the other day.

I couldn't hit a single putt and after my first round at Warriors I shot -4 under par.Not a very good score for 24 holes.Needless to say I was frustrated so I felt it was time to find a new putter.I went to Alpine Ski center and picked up a Discraft Banger GT and a Gateway Voodoo.

The Banger GT had the same problem that my KC Pro Aviars have,when you get the least bit of dirt on the disc they tend to get a bit slippery(i hate having to lick my fingers before every putt.)The Gateway Voodoo was pure magic.By far the best putter I have ever used.It has a good tackiness to it(no more licking my fingers).It's not as stable as my Gateway Pro-Line Wizard,but has just enough stability to hold a good putting line.I liked it so much I went back and got 2 more.I have the Super Stupid Soft versions of the putter.

So after 13 years of playing it's good-bye to the KC Pro Aviar and hello to the Gateway Voodoo.

Oh and I changed my putting style(again) to full time Straddle Putting.This Gateway Voodoo is perfect for the Straddle putt and i can putt just as far and more accurate from the straddle putt than I can using the staggered putting style.

Have any of you guys done something like this before?Stick with something through ups an downs,but get to the point that it's time for a change in disc selection?

I was still relying on my Frisbee brand beginner set driver for windy conditions or needing to get through situations where I needed to be able to get out of the woods without being knocked down by low hanging limbs (let's just say I'd be stupid happy with -4). It was a hard plastic, heavy, shallow lipped, and had very little flex. Then one day it slipped from my hand a little too soon on a drive through a narrow path in the woods. SMACK! Straight into a tree. It had a big crack from one edge past the middle. I went through three discs before finding a DX Cobra that I liked.

Oh, and for your viewing enjoyment:

imagehac.jpg

^That's awesome. 👍

I see a future Women's World Disc Golf Champion right there.

I had a Disc break on me a few times before as well.I smacked a Tree with a Stingray once and was doing an Ace run with a beat up Roc and hit the basket.Both discs Got cracked down the middle.It stinks when you do something like that.

You said you got a Cobra.That is a good disc that is starting to get harder and harder to find in Champion Plastic.If you ever find one in Champion Plastic be sure to get it.It's a bit more Stable and if you release the disc across your shoulders instead of your chest you can get lot of distance out of it.It's great for holes around 240-260 feet.

Starfirebird
^That's awesome. 👍

Last night was the first time she seemed to understand the concept of the game. Before, she just liked me to throw discs at the basket and then she ran to get them and bring them back.

Give her another year and more physical coordination and she will probably have her own set of lightweight discs at the park with me.

I had a Disc break on me a few times before as well.I smacked a Tree with a Stingray once and was doing an Ace run with a beat up Roc and hit the basket.Both discs Got cracked down the middle.It stinks when you do something like that.
The only thing I hate worse is losing a disc. I lost my original Leopard and it was my best fairway and mid-range disc at the time. I wound up getting one I prefer in Champion plastic, but that knowledge that you lost a disc that you know is somewhere within 20 feet of you is crushing.

And that is why I always write my name and number on my discs and call the owner of any discs I find with contact info on them. I've even posted in the course's info board when I find an unidentified disc. If the next season starts up it will get incorporated into my bag, but I leave it in my car separately until then. This is the only sport where you can lose a perfectly good $20+ piece of equipment and so I feel a little respect toward fellow players can garner some goodwill.

You said you got a Cobra.That is a good disc that is starting to get harder and harder to find in Champion Plastic.If you ever find one in Champion Plastic be sure to get it.It's a bit more Stable and if you release the disc across your shoulders instead of your chest you can get lot of distance out of it.It's great for holes around 240-260 feet.
I would love one in a different plastic than DX, but this one gets pulled out more often than most of my discs for anything from a short drive to a putt.

Last night was the first time she seemed to understand the concept of the game. Before, she just liked me to throw discs at the basket and then she ran to get them and bring them back.

Give her another year and more physical coordination and she will probably have her own set of lightweight discs at the park with me.

The only thing I hate worse is losing a disc. I lost my original Leopard and it was my best fairway and mid-range disc at the time. I wound up getting one I prefer in Champion plastic, but that knowledge that you lost a disc that you know is somewhere within 20 feet of you is crushing.

And that is why I always write my name and number on my discs and call the owner of any discs I find with contact info on them. I've even posted in the course's info board when I find an unidentified disc. If the next season starts up it will get incorporated into my bag, but I leave it in my car separately until then. This is the only sport where you can lose a perfectly good $20+ piece of equipment and so I feel a little respect toward fellow players can garner some goodwill.

I would love one in a different plastic than DX, but this one gets pulled out more often than most of my discs for anything from a short drive to a putt.

Glad to hear she shows interest in Disc Golf. 👍

I hate losing a good disc as well.About 3 years ago I lost a really good Champion Plastic 4X Juliana Kormer Valkyrie.It was on a blind Anhyzer shot.I loved that disc as i could throw rollers,turnovers and really far straight shots.I have another one,but it just isn't beat up enough.

Yeah the Cobra is hard to find in Champion Plastic anymore,but if the DX one doesn't get beat up too much it will have a long life span

I will revive this two-year dead thread to say that for the first time in about two years. Weird how that worked out.

Anyway, I don't know what hurts more; the muscles that haven't been stressed in years or getting 12 over par on a 9-hole, par 3 course.

^That's awesome. 👍

Speaking of:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Her form isn't there yet, but she had them flying 15-20 feet when she did it properly.

Back