Do wet tracks dry out?

  • Thread starter Thread starter j8mie
  • 8 comments
  • 1,202 views
Messages
789
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but does anyone know if the wet tracks ever dry out completely to show a dry racing line?
 
I can't give you an answer, but i suppose that they putted the intermediate tyres for something, and i don't think the 24hours races will be only in the dry or only in the rain.
 
I've had tracks go from wet to dry, but I didn't really see a line.

I was, however, racing in the wet at Monza yesterday. It stayed wet all race, but the racing line was visible. When braking on the line, or off the line, the car stayed in a straight line, but braking with one side on the line and the other side off the line caused the car to pull to one side. I thought that was a nice effect.
 
Yes they do. I was doing, I think, about 20 laps on Sazuka in Arcade, messing with cars, and it was raining at the start, after 1 lap it stopped, and the car handling was getting better, and I was getting quicker times.

Also the car didn't skid around so much, plus it looked dryer every lap.
 
I've had tracks go from wet to dry, but I didn't really see a line.

I was, however, racing in the wet at Monza yesterday. It stayed wet all race, but the racing line was visible. When braking on the line, or off the line, the car stayed in a straight line, but braking with one side on the line and the other side off the line caused the car to pull to one side. I thought that was a nice effect.
I've noticed the same on Monza. The rain alternated between drizzle and absolutely bucketing down, but at times, a racing line did show up some. :)
 
I did a B-Spec Endurance Race and it must have rained for the first 120 laps then sun came out and after about another 25 laps there was no spray coming off the track.

But since i wasnt driving i cant say.
 
I did a B-Spec Endurance Race and it must have rained for the first 120 laps then sun came out and after about another 25 laps there was no spray coming off the track.

But since i wasnt driving i cant say.

I had something similiar on A spec - Suzuka 1000kms endurance. It rained for the first 112 laps, then the sun came out, it stopped raining, the spray coming from the back of cars started to deteriorate and eventually the track became dry.

I couldn't see a visible difference in the track though, between a dry racing line and the rest of the track which was wet - something which is clearly visible in real life motor racing such as F1. I know that F1 cars aerodynamics 'suck up' the moisture and disperses it alot more heavily than GT cars would.
 
Cheers for that folks. Sounds like it can dry out but your only likely to notice it on the longer/endurance races. That is a nice touch, but I do think there should be a visible dry line though.

I really struggle to know what tyres to fit on my car when it's raining. There needs to be some info prior to a race to help you decide. I know racing teams invest in short range weather forecasting to help their drivers.
 
I had a race on Suzuka where it was sunny, but the track was damp to start and there are spray and it was slick. Then it got progressively better. Not sure if there was a line showing though...
 
Back