Do you find driving easy with the DS4?

• Thread starter jp_footy
  • 62 comments
Portugal
Unlocated
JFERRARIL10
I find it bloody difficult! lol

I recently got a controller from Amazon and I find it absolutely amazing for driving games.

Is it ok to share? (Just don't want to seem that I'm advertising)

For me it was terrible from the start, trying to translate what I'd normally do with a real car to the triggers and stick was weird,

Lots of hours of racing and practice I'm much more comfortable and sensitive to the adjustments I make on the controller,

I still think a wheel is the best option however you can still be very quick and competitive on a controller, just got to get used to the inputs through lots of practice

You can definitely be fast on it but it requires more mental focus and you're gonna be more inconsistent. The fact that my triggers are worn out (no input until 25%) doesn't help.

Without ASM I tend to power slide at higher speeds and loose control, end up having to brake much earlier to stop myself from clipping the barriers.
With ASM and practice I can be within 3-8 seconds of the Aliens depending on the track.
I try to run as fast I can with TCS:2 then once I’ve got into a rhythm turn it off and know my limits or if I need to raise or the lower the BB to stop in time for the more problematic corners.
I should probably start changing the BB on the fly to suite every corner.
A mid 1:33 is good time for me now at Brands Hatch and I know I can be 1-2seconds quicker because the Nissan is better than the Bugatti.

I've never tried a wheel but driving with a controller is not too bad, in cars with downforce you can get pretty close to the quick players (Super Formula, Super GT, etc), I think the big difference is in road cars and on street tyres where you need to be more precise and carry speed through the corners.

It's not that hard, really. But you have to map your throttle/brake to triggers and use manual transmission to get the most out of it. And fiddle with the sensitivity settings, depending on the vehicle.

I find it bloody difficult! lol

I recently got a controller from Amazon and I find it absolutely amazing for driving games.

Is it ok to share? (Just don't want to seem that I'm advertising)

It gets easier, although the one thing I find is that for me to compete with the top guys I have to be on the very limit, which naturally means more chance of mistakes.

When I say top guys I dont mean ft_ant and those guys... I've been matched with them a couple of times in FIA but they just drove off into the sunset while I battle for crumbs in 15th or whatever

I mean that next step down from those guys... a lot of them that I know also have wheels and it's so difficult to compete with them sometimes because of the advantages of a wheel, specifically the steering angle and throttle/braking travel on a pedal vs a trigger.

It just feels easier to make silly mistakes on controller.

On the flip side, not everything is great about having a wheel, besides the space and price of getting one...

The main thing that keeps me on a controller is that GT Sport is secondary to actually being a gamer.

In that I mean I play a lot of different types of games, and while I enjoy GT sport because of its competitive scene, I find it easy to complete disconnect from it for weeks and play other games.

I cant imagine that would be as easy to do, if you have a physical manifestation of your dedication to GT Sport, attached to your desk in the form of a racing when and pedals.

A lot of the wheel users I know play solely GT Sport, or 95% GT Sport.

So yeah, its swings and roundabouts.

I've never tried a wheel but driving with a controller is not too bad, in cars with downforce you can get pretty close to the quick players (Super Formula, Super GT, etc), I think the big difference is in road cars and on street tyres where you need to be more precise and carry speed through the corners.
Interestingly, i think the opposite. In faster cars, wheel has huge advantage, especially in fast corners. But in road cars it gets more equal. I'm always having more competitive lap times with road cars in sports mode.

Interestingly, i think the opposite. In faster cars, wheel has huge advantage, especially in fast corners. But in road cars it gets more equal. I'm always having more competitive lap times with road cars in sports mode.

Yeah that's true. It's my experience too.

I found the steering too sluggish with the L3 thumb stick, so I switched to motion sensor control in the settings. It's like using a wheel, but without a solid base, FFB and pedals. Highly recommended to anyone using the DS4.

There's a slight learning curve as the brain adjusts to using the controller's motion sensor. Now I'm not going back to the L3 stick.

I found the steering too sluggish with the L3 thumb stick, so I switched to motion sensor control in the settings. It's like using a wheel, but without a solid base, FFB and pedals. Highly recommended to anyone using the DS4.

There's a slight learning curve as the brain adjusts to using the controller's motion sensor. Now I'm not going back to the L3 stick.
Now that you’re used to it, do you find it’s easier for smoother corners with faster cars?

Also, do you find yourself twitching the controller and getting unintended turns?

Now that you’re used to it, do you find it’s easier for smoother corners with faster cars?

I find it easier to be smooth in any car and situation. Cornering with faster cars isn't something I have thought about in particular.

Also, do you find yourself twitching the controller and getting unintended turns?

In the beginning I had to get used to the fact that I couldn't just move my hands around while holding the controller. Not a problem after I adjusted to keep that in mind.

There's a minor deadzone when holding the controller in neutral position. This keeps the car from responding to the smallest of inputs around the center. It gets the job done without being distracting when subtle inputs are necessary. It's very precise, but it requires a few laps of getting used to the motion detection. So don't get too discouraged if your first attempt feels like learning to walk again.

I find it easier to be smooth in any car and situation. Cornering with faster cars isn't something I have thought about in particular.

In the beginning I had to get used to the fact that I couldn't just move my hands around while holding the controller. Not a problem after I adjusted to keep that in mind.

There's a minor deadzone when holding the controller in neutral position. This keeps the car from responding to the smallest of inputs around the center. It gets the job done without being distracting when subtle inputs are necessary. It's very precise, but it requires a few laps of getting used to the motion detection. So don't get too discouraged if your first attempt feels like learning to walk again.
Nice, I’m going to try it tomorrow. Thanks!

I feel like Sony has the best implementation of driving on a controller. FUll stop.

I started on the xbox 360 controller with Forza 4 so to me the old DS3 controller was step back however you eventually got used to it.

With the DS4 there's no such conumdrum. The DS4 is probably the best controller out there. I put it above the Xbox elites and that.

Now there are downsides... the brake and throttle does have too little granualarity... they are very "on and off" but that seems to be a problem with controllers overall and not just the DS4.

Nice, I’m going to try it tomorrow. Thanks!

When I tried the motion controls I found it was great and easy to manage, very enjoyable, but but but, when I tried online races I fell to pieces I always seemed to lose it during pressure situations and end up facing the wrong way. Gave up on it in the end :(

Last edited:
I find GT Sport to be the best optimised GT game for the DS4 thus far. With practice you can achieve almost anything. A wheel will give you more direct control and inputs but the end result is very close. I'm still improving and learning on the DS4, and I will upgrade to a wheel in the future. In the meantime, it's practice practice practice that is your best friend.

For people coming from real-life driving, I assume it can be hard. All that rotational space in your hands for the correct steering input is reduced to a tiny joystick on the end of your thumb. Also whatever perfected pedal feeling you have with your feet is disregarded in favour of either a couple of buttons, the analog stick or the triggers. It's all pretty much a miniaturised, simplified version of whatever real controls you're used to, so sensitivity is deffo key.

When I tried the motion controls I found it was great and easy to manage, very enjoyable, but but but, when I tried online races I fell to pieces I always seemed to lose it during pressure situations and end up facing the wrong way. Gave up on it in the end :(
Ha! I can see that. I just got GTS and haven’t hopped online yet, but I’ve definitely had pressure mess me up in other games. Either way, I’ll try it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Change steering sensitivity to max when using L3 stick. Removes any dead zone and particularly helps on tight chicanes like the first one at Monza.

It took me a few minutes to realize the motion control started backing off your steering if you went over 90 deg, lol. This will take some time to get used to but I like it.

Last edited:
Main advantage with a wheel is in sweeping corners as you can carry more speed and of course the lower tyre wear on average.

DS4 is better at braking (can brake much later than most wheels), although maybe load cell pedals are just as good as the pad, I wouldn't know. The pad is also better at quick corrections, like when others are crashing into you and/or you end up off the track.

The pad has a lot of built in assits in GT Sport to help against wheel users, hence why, in the right hands at least, it's very competitive (not that I'm that person myself).

In general no, you have less control and you go slower. Easier are only things like countersteering and things like that
I don't think countersteering is easier on the ds4 in GT Sport, this used to be true in GT6 and earlier though.
In GT Sport I feel they really tried to make the stick competitive in races vs wheels so that everyone could enjoy Sport mode. IMO they smoothed the inputs more than before which makes it easy to have the same kind of pace than on a wheel, but more difficult to make saves or drift.

Back