Do you guys use small theatre large theatre or living room?

  • Thread starter Thread starter oohhh yeah
  • 94 comments
  • 15,560 views

What sound setting do you use?


  • Total voters
    291
Messages
528
Messages
oohhh8yeah
Which one do you use? I have 5.1 sound system which one is best?
 
Last edited:
My room is not big. And I use 5.1 sound system. The Living Room option provides the best balance between loud and silent noises.
 
Small theatre with studio headphones (AKG k240s).
 
I use the living room option, sometimes I use the PS3 with a 5.1 800 watt surround sound but most of the time I use it with a 2.1 speaker system in my room.
 
I use small theatre(i think... can`t remember exactly but it might be living room)
I have found that by selecting large theatre,the sound from GT5 whilst probably the most realistic requires you to really crank up the volume and when you exit from GT5 or turn off the PS3 and switch the input over to normal TV(i use the 5.1 for everything) you need to remember to turn the volume down first or you`ll blow your ears off!

Small theatre is a good compromise,but living room works well too.
 
I find the 'living room' setup compresses the dynamic range too much - similar to using a midnight function on a receiver. Small theatre opens up the dynamic range more, which I find suits my audio setup better.
 
I use the "small theatre" setting as it works best with my particular home theatre system,Bose surround and a Sharp Aquos HDTV...makes GT5 pop specially when the 787B goes balls out down the Mulsanne.....:scared:
 
Yeah for some reason in large theatre the tire screech is REALLY loud, and the music is really quite. I use small theatre myself after testing out all 3.
 
I myself use large theatre, as it does provide unrivaled sound quality. I don't find problems with changing the volume, as I find myself constantly doing it, even in the middle of races. The Mustang Mach 1 sounds so much more.... Alive, in large theatre.
 
I myself use large theatre, as it does provide unrivaled sound quality. I don't find problems with changing the volume, as I find myself constantly doing it, even in the middle of races. The Mustang Mach 1 sounds so much more.... Alive, in large theatre.

Theatre large or small with a decent surround setup. Either provide a good experience.
 
I run a pioneer vsx819 using hdmi for picture and sound, wharfdale xarus 4000 fronts + 1000 rears, Infinity primus pc250 center + 2 powered subs (jamo and yamaha),bit of a mix and match lol I like living room the best.
 
Last edited:
I use Small Theatre! 👍
I have found it suits me best with either my 1kW 5.1 Surround Sound setup or my Tritton AX Pro 5.1 Headset (for when the 'boss' is in bed... :sly:)
 
I use the standard setting whatever it was since there are no settings.
Just incorrect presets.
 
These results are baffling. You all do know that this is dynamic range compression with "Large Theater" being equivalent to it being turned "off", right?
 
large theater ...
Pioneer VSX-1325 7.1 A/V Receiver
Velodyne 400 Watt 12" Subwoofer (DLS-4000R)
Aabstract Acoustics center channel
4 JBL rear and SS speakers
2 JBL mains and 2 Polk Audio height speakers
Buttkicker on my custom built Zalem rig
Thrustmaster T500 wheel & pedal set.
 
My set up is in a normal sized room (e.g. living room size!) but using 5:1 surround.

I find the Small Theatre setting is best, as it really opens up surround sound. Living Room setting sounds a lot flatter. Big Theatre, as someone else pointed out, seems to amplify effects much more than music, and doesn't sound too good to me.
 
These results are baffling. You all do know that this is dynamic range compression with "Large Theater" being equivalent to it being turned "off", right?

So what are you saying? Large theatre is bad?
 
I have g27 and white playseat.

Just bought a cheap 4.1 off ebay and made a bracket to set 2 speakers next to the seat, and 2 speakers on top of the wheel. Also the sub/amp fits under my seat! Vibrates my gooch! eBay 40.00 shipped. And it's all white to match.

I messed with the audio output and thought the small theater sounded best. Large was too loud and living room sounded like it lost some depth.

Wish the gtp iPhone app allowed iPhone pics!
 
Living room. Although, I've not tried out any of the other options to be honest... I'm using a 5.1 system too. Maybe I should try them out...
 
small theater with:
Sony 7.1 AV
Panasonic 3D BD
PS3
14 speakers + 2 powered subs
4 LazyBoy recliners with integral tactile transducers
4 gaming rockers with internal 50W amplifiers
Sharp XV-Z17000 3D HD projector (with 4 pairs of Sharp active shutter glasses)
96" x 72" DIY screen
and my latest addition: kegerator (1 tap)
 
I use the 55 inch sony bravia flat screen tv in my living room.
 
So what are you saying? Large theatre is bad?
No, that DRC is bad and you should have it turned off. Even if your speakers are clipping, I'd turn the overall volume down rather than sacrifice dynamic range.
 
No, that DRC is bad and you should have it turned off. Even if your speakers are clipping, I'd turn the overall volume down rather than sacrifice dynamic range.

What is DRC?
 
I set the volume as loud as i can take it. The sound of the v12's, v8's are astounding 👍
 
I have seven . One and it sounds best on living room setting for some reason. I thought large was was the ideal choice, I was wrong.
 
I have it set to Small Theater. I was unaware that the room setting controlled Dynamic Range, though, so I will likely set it to Large Theater as soon as I get the chance.
 
I have seven . One and it sounds best on living room setting for some reason. I thought large was was the ideal choice, I was wrong.

Sounds best is personal preference but a 7.1 is usually an extremely good system, living room doesn't do justice for even my 5.1 o_0
 
Yes you are right it is all personal preference, I just find it strange that it sounds very crisp and clear to me on living room setting instead of large speaker.
 
Back