Do you guys use small theatre large theatre or living room?

  • Thread starter Thread starter oohhh yeah
  • 94 comments
  • 15,560 views

What sound setting do you use?


  • Total voters
    291
Living room.

PS3 + Ordinary CRT TV + A subwoofer that's quite big in size sitting right below the TV.
 
Small theater. I've tried large theater once and forgot to turn the volume back down on the receiver when I was done playing and nearly blew out my ear drums when I decided to play some music and because of that incident alone, I will never revert back. But I'm content with small theater with the rest of the split majority.
 
Living Room with a 5.1 system.
 
Using a "Bose 2.1" system
 
Large Theatre here, with basic studio headphones.

With headphones there's no need to turn it up, although when I jump in a NASCAR car or something similarly loud, it does tend to actually hurt! That's more because of the gear whine there, but racing exhausts really have a tearing quality to them at that volume...
 
Small theatre with 5.2 Soavo system. Gonna try out the Large settting now though :)
 
Living room. 51" TV+GT5+Crappy speakers=not bad gaming experience.
 
I use them all, just running through a basic econo stereo.

Living Room when being quiet at night or online with mics so I can still hear most of the important sound.
Small Theater for general use.
Large Theater when no one else is within a mile and I can really crank up the racegasm.

I probably just leave it on Small 80% of the time though. Should use Large more I think.
 
I've recently converted to Small Theatre; got tired of scaring myself to death when half asleep in the evenings...

I am tempted to go back to Large Theatre every now and then, though.
 
Living room sounds pretty flat and boring on my 7 speakers, and a currently busted center speaker doesn't help. I use Small Theater most of the time, so I actually have some dynamic range, and I use Large Theater for when I'm alone and I can put all 1000 watts to use...and I don't even have a subwoofer :sly:
 
I was using small theatre on my 5.1 800w. Now with the 2.02 update and the wind noise(lack of noise from the front...) i've switched to living room.
 
Neither, I use my room.
 
Well I used to use small theatre on my 5.1 as it was the best way to try to balance out the tranny whine on my system.

Since the update though, which was heaven for me as sound was my main gripe, I have switched back to living room as on small theatre I couldn't hear other cars (no matter how close) over the wind and new car sounds.

Now everything is so well balanced my GT5 playing experience has reached new heights. A couple more minor tweaks and I think we are there.
 
Large theater, now with the sounds worked over a bit. Cars are heard clearly and I mean clearly. 1000w 5.1 Surround Sound, seriously played online and one of my buddies drove along side me in a 300M tuned, that car was the epitome of loud. I also ran my Jaguar XKR, what a beastly sounding engine. I hope PD gives up volume options to set certain sounds lower than others. Right now I run the audio settings 85 for race effects and 125 for menu music and menu sound effects, race music is about 90 as it is very low anyway. But the dynamic range of vehicle audio is pretty beefy. Now PD just has to fix those weird oddities of when sound tends to favor the right side and then you switch cars and it's back to normal.
 
Tsukasa_Bullet
Small theatre with 5.2 Soavo system. Gonna try out the Large settting now though :)

Wtf is 5.2?

I got Yamaha 5.1 receiver, tannoy m2 up front, gale sub, wee cheap rears. Didn't know there was different settings, it's sounded fine since day one. I drive with no music in bumper cam.

T.
 
Wtf is 5.2?

I got Yamaha 5.1 receiver, tannoy m2 up front, gale sub, wee cheap rears. Didn't know there was different settings, it's sounded fine since day one. I drive with no music in bumper cam.

T.

5.2 is like a 5.1 but with a reinforcement of the bass. I saw some speakers that has an extra bass reinforcemnt in the same box...

And for the "level issue" that some of you suffer, I can't understand why. I have a Sony Home Theater and never happen to me. It's a proper HT, not a dvd or bluray player also, just the receiver and the bass with the speakers.

Anyway, see you.
 
I have a 850Watt 5.1 Bravia theatre, but I prefer the Living Room setting. The others are too loud to be honest... I rather enjoy the sound at a moderate volume.
 
I just play in best buy or gamestop.
 
Small Theater, I usually play with wireless Sony MDR-RF925R headphones and Small Theater mode sounds great combined with the headphones oddly enough.. If I'm not using the headphones, I just output the sound through my TV's speakers, and oddly enough again, Small Theater sounds great..
 
I have a 850Watt 5.1 Bravia theatre, but I prefer the Living Room setting. The others are too loud to be honest... I rather enjoy the sound at a moderate volume.

I've just been playing it on the default living room setting but after seeing this thread and learning that it controlled the dynamic range of the sound effects gave large theatre a go.

....I don't like large theatre either...it seems completely OTT to me. Will try small theatre next. The sound quality isn't good enough to make me want to listen to it at loud volumes so I'll probably stick to a moderate volume too.

PS I use Denon AV amp, B&W CDM1NT mains with matching centre and rears and a 12" Velodyne sub....near enough 2KW in the living room of my wee terraced hoose:tup:
 
I've recently converted to Small Theatre; got tired of scaring myself to death when half asleep in the evenings...

I am tempted to go back to Large Theatre every now and then, though.

I know what you mean i use Large Theatre(5.1 setup) and this "instability" in sound levels gets to you, but i cant go back to Small Theatre so i just suck it up, must be hard with headphones though, i could see why Small Theatre would be a more "convenient" choice for most.
 
I find Large Theatre best, no discussion there.

It calls for constant care about the volume, but sound in LT is another dimension. Own engine, tires, other cars vicinity, overpassing... whole new dimension.
 
I find Large Theatre best, no discussion there.

It calls for constant care about the volume, but sound in LT is another dimension. Own engine, tires, other cars vicinity, overpassing... whole new dimension.

If you can get away with the volume, LT is by far the best for hearing other cars near you. That alone should make it the preferred option.
 
If you have fairly advanced HT-setup, you should try to put Large theatre setting in game and adjust dynamic range compression with receiver setting which can be,

Dolby volume, Dynamic volume, Dynamic range compression.... etc
 
i think many are wrong on audio settings tbh. lol at comments with 1000w systems (at what impedence? all channels driven? etc...), usually the mark of crappy all in one sound systems with BS written on the box (RMS etc...). RMS means nothing as far as speaker quality and any decent brand of speakers never reasons in those terms. instead more usuefull info will be something like 56Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis, <1% 90Hz - 22kHz or 89db spl. but even these specs usually are pretty meaningles, but more meaningfull than watts ;)


large is meant for surround sound systems not using a subwoofer. if you have a subwoofer you should set options to small. basically means anything below 80hz crossover goes to sub. living room is for TV speakers

i have a 7.1 system set to small - crossover set 80hz
AV amp: Pioneer SC-LX 71 / Rotel 1572 power amp
fronts: Bower & Wilkins CM9
center: B&W HTM61
surrounds: B&W 685
rear: B&W 686
sub: B&W AS608
 
Last edited:
i think many are wrong on audio settings tbh. lol at comments with 1000w systems (at what impedence? all channels driven? etc...), usually the mark of crappy all in one sound systems with BS written on the box (RMS etc...). RMS means nothing as far as speaker quality and any decent brand of speakers never reasons in those terms. instead more usuefull info will be something like 56Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis, <1% 90Hz - 22kHz or 89db spl. but even these specs usually are pretty meaningles, but more meaningfull than watts ;)


large is meant for surround sound systems not using a subwoofer. if you have a subwoofer you should set options to small. basically means anything below 80hz crossover goes to sub. living room is for TV speakers

i have a 7.1 system set to small - crossover set 80hz
amp: Pioneer SC-LX 71
fronts: Bower & Wilkins CM9
center: B&W HTM61
surrounds: B&W 685
rear: B&W 686
sub: B&W AS608

Good info, but I don't think my all-in-one Sony Bravia Theatre is crap at all... It's top of the line and it cost me big bucks. It's was the most I could afford.

Is not as good as a build-it-yourself theatre like yours, but is better than many other regular sets for people who don't have a clue on how to set up a good reciever plus speakers.
 
Good info, but I don't think my all-in-one Sony Bravia Theatre is crap at all... It's top of the line and it cost me big bucks.

lol high end - you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. my system is in a completely different league to your sony bravia theatre system and i wouldn't even call my system anywhere close to high end. my system is mid range at best

glad you are happy with that, ignorance is bliss ;) maybe if you get a bit more serious into audio, you will begin to understand.

anyway my point was to explain the difference between large/small/living room, which is obviously getting many people confused
 
Last edited:
I use small theatre. I still want to enjoy music and hear afew other sounds :p Large theatre is nice though but the loud stuff is very loud that I feel like I would go deaf.
 
On my headphones if I try to set it to anything else but living room one of the speakers goes dead. So I just use living room.
 
lol high end - you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. my system is in a completely different league to your sony bravia theatre system and i wouldn't even call my system anywhere close to high end. my system is mid range at best

glad you are happy with that, ignorance is bliss ;) maybe if you get a bit more serious into audio, you will begin to understand.

anyway my point was to explain the difference between large/small/living room, which is obviously getting many people confused

I will suggest that you quit with your cocky attitude kid. Calling me ignorant will not prove your point. Not everyone is into the things that you like, or know the things you know. You have a better system, good for you, whatever. Try to be humble, shut up and enjoy it...
 
Back