Do you have to 'grind'

• Thread starter United6694
  • 190 comments
Let's completely ignore your attitude of "something is true for me, so it must be true for everyone else," because I can't even think of a way to explain to you how silly it is.

I don't really see how listing system requirements and then assuming people buying the game meet those requirements (or are at least aware of them) is "silly". Of course I know it's not true for everyone else, I never inferred that it was. My point is that the game is made for people that have certain amenities (such as a PS3, a television, etc). To take full advantage of the game features, you'd also need broadband internet, a multidisplay setup with multiple PS3s, or a 3D TV. I certainly don't have all of those things. That doesn't change the fact that PD spent a long time working on the 3D implementation and that implementation is part of the game. Without the right equipment...that's right! I can't use that part of the game.

Regardless of WHY certain consumers don't have access to certain technologies, it doesn't change the fact that PD (and probably everyone else in the gaming industry) are not going to cater to the laggards when it comes to technology. Who in their right mind is going to stop trying to expand online content and game play because certain segments of certain markets either cannot or will not get faster internet? The PSN had revenues of close to $1 bil USD in 2010, double from 2009. You think that was from dial-up users? Probably not.

Want to tell me what is "silly" about that?

Let us instead focus on your assertion that since PD included multiplayer in GT5, it allows them to completely ignore (and, arguably, intentionally sabotage) the single player game. Do you know how unbelievably dumb that would be as a design decision?

So because you don't like the game (or the offline content) for whatever reason, you assume it's "ignored" and "intentionally sabotaged". Hate to break it to you, but some people actually enjoy the offline content. And online content. Together, they make a pretty good pair 👍

You know what though, before I was playing online, I was still having fun offline. Some people on here (sounds like you included) want hundreds of races and they want them all to pay massively and reward them with exotic race cars that they can sell for more money...honestly, I don't care. I wouldn't say no to more content, but ultimately, I play because the cars. Between A-Spec events, Special Events, Seasonal Events, License tests, Practice (one make events and time attack), I've honestly not gotten bored of playing offline because those are all just places to DRIVE CARS.

The difference is I'm playing because I enjoy the game play, NOT because I'm fixated on earning credits, leveling up, and buying every car as quickly as possible. I actually enjoy the driving part of the game. I don't care if an event pays out credits or XP. It doesn't make it less fun or challenging.

PD spends 4 years (or whatever) building this massive game with huge hype and numbers and licences thrown everywhere. And they then proceed to include a career mode something like a quarter as long as that of its predecessor, and even less of a percentage of its immediate competitor. And your defense seems to be that because the game has online multiplayer, there are infinite races to do. Carrying the implication that PD somehow spent all their time on multiplayer, which is obviously not true because it is one of the most bare bones systems in a modern racing game today.

GT5 was a complete rewrite and is going to (at least based on what Kaz has said) serve as the foundations of at least GT6. I know they were also sidetracked by Sony to do the 3D implementation for the Bravia line. If you want to simplify that as spending 4 years programming a sub-par GT entry, so be it.

Like I said, not only are plenty of people happy with the offline game play, they frequently enjoy online game play to supplement it. If you want to ignore some content and then judge the rest on a subjective view of what is "right/wrong", have fun. Doesn't stop me and millions of other people from having fun playing it.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has online multiplayer. In many ways better online multiplayer. The servers for GT5:P are shutting down in 2 months. What will happen to the "infinite races" then? What will be left of GT5: Prologue? I play Gran Turismo 2 to this day because of the sheer amount of stuff that it has to do in single player. Will I have any enjoyment from GT5 12 years from now? Assuming, of course, that I have the means to play it online in the first place, which is in no way a certainty.

I'm not too worried about wanting to play GT5 in 12 years, as I imagine I'd be more consumed with GT7 or whatever. If you're concerned about that sort of obsolescence, I suggest you stick with GT2 (or avoid electronics all together).

So because you don't like the game (or the offline content) for whatever reason, you assume it's "ignored" and "intentionally sabotaged". Hate to break it to you, but some people actually enjoy the offline content. And online content. Together, they make a pretty good pair 👍

You know what though, before I was playing online, I was still having fun offline. Some people on here (sounds like you included) want hundreds of races and they want them all to pay massively and reward them with exotic race cars that they can sell for more money...honestly, I don't care. I wouldn't say no to more content, but ultimately, I play because the cars. Between A-Spec events, Special Events, Seasonal Events, License tests, Practice (one make events and time attack), I've honestly not gotten bored of playing offline because those are all just places to DRIVE CARS.

The difference is I'm playing because I enjoy the game play, NOT because I'm fixated on earning credits, leveling up, and buying every car as quickly as possible. I actually enjoy the driving part of the game. I don't care if an event pays out credits or XP. It doesn't make it less fun or challenging.

Judging by your post, you sound like the people who say as long as the physics are decent, it doesn't matter if there's a structured game in there. Sorry, but "The Real Driving Simulator" is just a slogan that should not be taken seriously. GT5 is a still a GAME, no matter how you slice it. If GT5 is just about driving, they wouldn't have bothered with B-spec. I actually enjoy the driving too, but at the end of the day, a fun racing game is all that matters to me, and unfortunately, GT5 doesn't do too well with that. It's filled with too many silly problems. For example, I would LOVE to do the FGT championship, but they foolishly left out saving for championships, which by the way, was in GT3 and GT4, and to complete it, I have to sit there for 3 hours or so to do it. And unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time.

Seriously, if all I cared about was the physics, I wouldn't even waste my time with GT5, and I would move on to PC sims instead. All I expected was a fun and balanced game to AT LEAST be as good as the previous games.

But if I was wrong in my assumption, please correct me and I apologize in advance.

Judging by your post, you sound like the people who say as long as the physics are decent, it doesn't matter if there's a structured game in there. Sorry, but "The Real Driving Simulator" is just a slogan that should not be taken seriously. GT5 is a still a GAME, no matter how you slice it. If GT5 is just about driving, they wouldn't have bothered with B-spec. I actually enjoy the driving too, but at the end of the day, a fun racing game is all that matters to me, and unfortunately, GT5 doesn't do too well with that. It's filled with too many silly problems. For example, I would LOVE to do the FGT championship, but they foolishly left out saving for championships, which by the way, was in GT3 and GT4, and to complete it, I have to sit there for 3 hours or so to do it. And unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time.

Seriously, if all I cared about was the physics, I wouldn't even waste my time with GT5, and I would move on to PC sims instead. All I expected was a fun and balanced game to AT LEAST be as good as the previous games.

But if I was wrong in my assumption, please correct me and I apologize in advance.

Well, I'm definitely not saying there's nothing wrong or missing from the game. Like I said, I would be fine with more content...

BUT

I spend most of my time doing things that pay little or no credits/XP. When I'm playing offline, I'm usually doing one-make races or time attacks in practice mode. If I do play A-Spec events, it's rarely for the credits or XP. I get the most enjoyment from having close challenging races (or challenging myself) and finding/driving cars that surprise me (or are just enjoyable to drive).

Also, I've never owned a Gran Turismo game that I wasn't re-running races in, so that's not really any different to me. There's just fewer offline races in GT5 to start with so the replaying starts earlier. The big difference for me is those fewer offline races are offset by being able to play with friends online, which has made a huge difference (to me at least, I realize this isn't a consolation for our fellow GT5 players that don't have broadband access).

Also, honestly, the only reason I haven't signed up for a racing sim on PC is that my PC is probably too old and I don't want to pay the annual fees (for iRacing).

I try to grind the less that I can... not to be "honorable" blablabla but because I'm too lazy and not interested in collect cars.
In A-Spec (at least with the XP points and Cr. gained with old SE) is not necessary to grind.
In B-Spec is unevitable... not for Cr but for XP... when I reach the Endurances I has to repeat some of them a couple of times to gain access to the next. The only pro is that B-Spec is almost "fire and forget" in endurance if you have the right cars (my FGT never was so usefull) and when reach lvl35 and X2010 shows up... puf! Start race, sleep, work, return to press X :D

Want to tell me what is "silly" about that?
5th entry in a decade old franchise known for "career mode" ultimately ships with a bare-bones system almost nothing like that of previous games in said franchise. People criticize the game for this. They are chewed out for not just shutting up and playing online, despite dozens of posts saying why that isn't a relevant rebuttal. Sounds pretty damn silly to me.

And yet, plenty of other racing games on the market have online components that are far better than what GT5 currently has, yet they also didn't completely ignore the single player component.

So because you don't like the game (or the offline content) for whatever reason, you assume it's "ignored" and "intentionally sabotaged". Hate to break it to you, but some people actually enjoy the offline content.
And that's absolutely fantastic for them.

Some people on here (sounds like you included) want hundreds of races and they want them all to pay massively and reward them with exotic race cars that they can sell for more money...honestly, I don't care.
And that's fantastic for you.

I wouldn't say no to more content, but ultimately, I play because the cars. Between A-Spec events, Special Events, Seasonal Events, License tests, Practice (one make events and time attack), I've honestly not gotten bored of playing offline because those are all just places to DRIVE CARS.
The physics man. The physics!

Also good for you.

GT5 was a complete rewrite and is going to (at least based on what Kaz has said) serve as the foundations of at least GT6. I know they were also sidetracked by Sony to do the 3D implementation for the Bravia line. If you want to simplify that as spending 4 years programming a sub-par GT entry, so be it.
The words you tried to shove down my throat aren't particularly appetizing. Don't do it again.

I'm not too worried about wanting to play GT5 in 12 years, as I imagine I'd be more consumed with GT7 or whatever. If you're concerned about that sort of obsolescence, I suggest you stick with GT2 (or avoid electronics all together).
I'm sure this sounded much more clever when you originally posted it.

The really funny part is that you posted that big long essay without actually saying anything. You would have saved everyone a load of time if you had gotten to the point, which seemed to be "I'm right your wrong la la la."

5th entry in a decade old franchise known for "career mode" ultimately ships with a bare-bones system almost nothing like that of previous games in said franchise. People criticize the game for this. They are chewed out for not just shutting up and playing online, despite dozens of posts saying why that isn't a relevant rebuttal. Sounds pretty damn silly to me.

People criticize the game and refuse to believe others are enjoying it. Any reasons why someone may be enjoying it must be irrelevant because it would mean they're not objectively correct in their opinion.

That does sound silly. 👍

The really funny part is that you posted that big long essay without actually saying anything. You would have saved everyone a load of time if you had gotten to the point, which seemed to be "I'm right your wrong la la la."

Excellent and insightful points you've made here. 👍

Exactly
👍

No you dont
Unless you dont have somewhat moderate internet

I have fast internet. Online is still a big waste of time.

Like stated before: online gaming is an "on-top-of" proposition, not a substitute for offline content. Any developer that thinks it is stops getting my money.

How is it a big waste of time ?

it wasnt meant to be a substitute for offline content
It was meant to compliment the offline content
once your finished with the aspec races move on to online racing
its that simple
you have unlimited amount of races online
that give out xp and money
I did 3 super gt races last night with complete strangers and im almost at level 35
made it in 2nd and 3rd still got alot of xp and money

Last edited:
People criticize the game and refuse to believe others are enjoying it. Any reasons why someone may be enjoying it must be irrelevant because it would mean they're not objectively correct in their opinion.
Since this is so obviously happening, I'm sure you will be able to point out examples of it.

Since this is so obviously happening, I'm sure you will be able to point out examples of it.

Look in here for examples of additional content offered by online gameplay. That's all...nothing, right?

Although clearly, it's already been decided (by someone on the interweb) that online content "isn't a relevant rebuttal". Honestly though, I haven't really been clear on why online content isn't a "relevant rebuttal". It seems many people seem to be enjoying that additional gameplay experience. Maybe someone should let them know that the "bare bones systems" they're trying to play on is only masking an "ignored" offline game, and they may not be able to enjoy that online content in...12 years? And then they'll be stuck with an "arguably intentionally sabotaged" game?

Seems some people are still finding ways to enjoy the game...you should probably keep letting them know they're wrong. 👍

What I have started is I have gone back and started doing all the old races again, I don't have the time to A-spec any endurance races, but using cars you never used before on the championships, has resulted in about 1 level a week. I'm at A-spec 30, and 36, for B-spec.
Since when was GT a game you rushed through? Try the Vettle challenge, that ought to pay out good, I just wish I could get through one lap on any track with that thing!

Although clearly, it's already been decided (by someone on the interweb) that online content "isn't a relevant rebuttal". Honestly though, I haven't really been clear on why online content isn't a "relevant rebuttal".
Mostly because you keep going out of your way to ignore the reasoning those people give. And I imagine you keep doing so because of your compulsive need to have every post you make look as oh-so-clever as physically possible, regardless of whether it actually contributes anything to the discussion.
Which is why you have posted twice with posts containing nothing but buzzwords in an attempt to make anyone who is not you look like an idiot, completely avoiding any of the things actually said to you. Including but not limited to, putting words in people's mouths, and then launching into huge tirades over ideas that the people you are debating with never said in the first place.

But I imagine this is a problem you will just have to sort out yourself, so feel free to stop riddling this topic with such meaningless pap and get it taken care of. I understand completely, though. I once found being an internet smartass to be a completely amazing thing as well, and I certainly still indulge in such behavior from time to time, so my heart goes out.

Mostly because you keep going out of your way to ignore the reasoning those people give. And I imagine you keep doing so because of your compulsive need to have every post you make look as oh-so-clever as physically possible, regardless of whether it actually contributes anything to the discussion.
Which is why you have posted twice with posts containing nothing but buzzwords in an attempt to make anyone who is not you look like an idiot, completely avoiding any of the things actually said to you. Including but not limited to, putting words in people's mouths, and then launching into huge tirades over ideas that the people you are debating with never said in the first place.

But I imagine this is a problem you will just have to sort out yourself, so feel free to stop riddling this topic with such meaningless pap and get it taken care of. I understand completely, though. I once found being an internet smartass to be a completely amazing thing as well, and I certainly still indulge in such behavior from time to time, so my heart goes out.

:lol:

Whatever you say. If you can't respond to your own points and you feel that I'm "putting words in people's mouths" (their own words, I may add), so be it. If you can't glean any points from my posts, I apologize. I suspect those that find some redeeming value in GT5 (online and offline) may recognize what I'm saying. Those that are focused on critiquing and criticizing gameplay will probably have a harder time of it because it might require acknowledging points that contradict their own.

I appreciate your patronizing behavior though. 👍

I'll refrain from any more posts in this thread since it seems to be bothering you so much. We wouldn't want any "meaningless pap" in here that is contrary to the astute, objective observations about the flaws and shortcomings of the game.

Hi all, I'm going to write in this post only for comment my view of GT5 and GT's in general, because I do not agree with "fans" that has other opinion.

It's only a opinion and i don't want to be crucifixed or something like this to put this lines here.

The first thing to have in consideration is that Gt's are a product, and in the same case of all another game's, they can't create a perfect final product because they will have to innovate in the future.

It's the first finished GT in the ps3 era, and with this I want to say that it's normal to see things that no are OK (the same thing like GT3 - Ps2 when you came from GT2 - Ps1, where is the UCD? where is the Racing modification?! )

But my vision of GT's saga is this:

It's a cult to automotive world in general, you have over 1000 cars that they are curious or significant in their time for something ( races won, brand labor, mechanical things, etc. ).

If you are a addict to this world you grateful this, I only see this things in PC sims and it's not the same because their objective is only simulate physics. ( I'm very happy with it because I'm a frustrated racer )

So well, too many people say bad things about GT5, the damage, the levels, the cars...

Damage? Yes it's interessant but you want to see minimal damage as a mischance of racing or you want to see a car destroyed? If you are of the second option this is not your game, if you think that destroy a car is a fact of racing you have to play pc simulators in real simulated races.

Levels? It's only a new type to develop the game and I don’t think that get the level 40 in 1 week it’s the best way to play GT. You have 40 levels and for the 30 to the 40 you should grow playing online and the respective endurances, no grinding or something like this.

It's enough!!!

If you can't glean any points from my posts, I apologize.
Apology accepted.

I suspect those that find some redeeming value in GT5 (online and offline) may recognize what I'm saying.
So, you contend you aren't putting words in people's mouths, and then you turn around and act as if anyone who is debating with you must think that GT5 has no redeeming value.

Those that are focused on critiquing and criticizing gameplay will probably have a harder time of it because it might require acknowledging points that contradict their own.
I can easily acknowledge points that contradict what I'm saying. They generally have to exist to be acknowledged, though.
Not just parroting statements by others to point out dumb they obviously are, but without actually contributing anything yourself.

I appreciate your patronizing behavior though. 👍
You see, the really funny thing is that you continue to play the victim in the same post that you do your cute "direct quotes to show how stupid they are" silliness.

You are welcome, though.

I know I said I'd stay away but sometimes I just can't help myself...

So, you contend you aren't putting words in people's mouths, and then you turn around and act as if anyone who is debating with you must think that GT5 has no redeeming value.

Referring to something as "ignored", "sabotaged", and "bare-bones" and saying the developer "completely ignore the single player component" is not typically the language of someone that finds value in something. I'm sure though that you'll make a quip about these being "cute" direct quotes that I'm using to try and make you look dumb so that you can avoid having to actually respond to my points or explain your own comments.

I can easily acknowledge points that contradict what I'm saying. They generally have to exist to be acknowledged, though.
Not just parroting statements by others to point out dumb they obviously are, but without actually contributing anything yourself.

My point was that online content is part of the game and it creates an open ended experience that drastically helps reduce the need to repeat offline races. You responded to my points in 3 ways. Trying to dismiss it by saying that point wasn't a "relevant rebuttal", trying to diminish it by calling online play "bare bones", and then trying to distract from it by going after me personally.

So, it seems you're able to acknowledge a point enough to dance around it but not able to actually formulate an objective response.

So, I can ask you directly to make it easy: Why is online play, with all of the tournaments, leagues, races, credits and XP it brings with it, not worth being considered as part of the game content? This is first time it's been included in a full release of Gran Turismo and it's something that provides a massive amount of gameplay for many people.

The only answers I've seen are that people don't want to use it, don't have the capability to use it, or that it may not be there indefinitely if PD decides to take the servers down. That's not answering why online play shouldn't be considered content, that's only telling me why individuals won't/can't take advantage of it. That's an excuse, not an answer.

You see, the really funny thing is that you continue to play the victim in the same post that you do your cute "direct quotes to show how stupid they are" silliness.

I'm not trying to play victim or show anyone as silly. You seem unable to respond objectively to the points of others, so I thought maybe you could respond to your own. Obviously not.

I have no problem with having an intelligent conversation, but when you avoiding addressing points by trying to denigrate the poster, I lose interest.

My point was that online content is part of the game and it creates an open ended experience that drastically helps reduce the need to repeat offline races.

Drastically? A player who wraps up the non-endurance offline portions of A-Spec still has a massive amount of XP to obtain to get to Level 40. Even doing those endurance races, there's going to have to be a large amount of online play to avoid re-running races. Re-running which is required just to attempt some of the other endurance races.

This would be less of a problem if there weren't 54 options in A-Spec. Some of those "series" are a single track event, too. The events in GT Mode are some of the least time-intensive to create; it's not accurately modeling an SLS' headlight elements, or figuring out the myriad variables in the physics engine. It's come up with a basic theme or challenge, decide on some tracks, implement a very simple points structure if it's a championship, and determine a level of performance from the AI (and the cars that will meet that).

So, again looking at the title of the thread; if you want to be technical, sure you don't have to grind, in the sense that, provided you have a solid internet connection, you could get away with never doing an A-Spec race more than once. Don't have that connection? Hmmmm.

So, I can ask you directly to make it easy: Why is online play, with all of the tournaments, leagues, races, credits and XP it brings with it, not worth being considered as part of the game content? This is first time it's been included in a full release of Gran Turismo and it's something that provides a massive amount of gameplay for many people.

Tournaments and leagues aren't included with online play. Much like the Marketplace, they're user-generated constructs outside of the game, to make up for something PD themselves haven't provided.

The only answers I've seen are that people don't want to use it, don't have the capability to use it, or that it may not be there indefinitely if PD decides to take the servers down. That's not answering why online play shouldn't be considered content, that's only telling me why individuals won't/can't take advantage of it. That's an excuse, not an answer.

Online play, as much as I enjoy it, is a crutch all too many developers rely on these days in place of a solid, fully-resolved single player experience. It's content, sure... in the same sense 2-player split-screen was in the past. It isn't (and shouldn't) be required to avoid the endless repitition that the offline mode otherwise presents.

Drastically? A player who wraps up the non-endurance offline portions of A-Spec still has a massive amount of XP to obtain to get to Level 40. Even doing those endurance races, there's going to have to be a large amount of online play to avoid re-running races. Re-running which is required just to attempt some of the other endurance races.

Im not getting it
People complain About there not being enough races
But complain about having to do so many races to reach level 40 ?

This would be less of a problem if there weren't 54 options in A-Spec. Some of those "series" are a single track event, too. The events in GT Mode are some of the least time-intensive to create; it's not accurately modeling an SLS' headlight elements, or figuring out the myriad variables in the physics engine. It's come up with a basic theme or challenge, decide on some tracks, implement a very simple points structure if it's a championship, and determine a level of performance from the AI (and the cars that will meet that).

Yea but then again no GT have implemented that

For us more experienced players that would be awesome
It should atleast be a option.
But like the paint chip and the rims I cant even explain or think of what PD was thinking :indiff:

So, again looking at the title of the thread; if you want to be technical, sure you don't have to grind, in the sense that, provided you have a solid internet connection, you could get away with never doing an A-Spec race more than once. Don't have that connection? Hmmmm.
Well like he said
its a requirement :sly:
There are more with Good internet then bad

Tournaments and leagues aren't included with online play. Much like the Marketplace, they're user-generated constructs outside of the game, to make up for something PD themselves haven't provided.

Yea I have a feeling if PD would have done it and made it so that it could only be done their way there would be waaay more complaining

Online play, as much as I enjoy it, is a crutch all too many developers rely on these days in place of a solid, fully-resolved single player experience. It's content, sure... in the same sense 2-player split-screen was in the past. It isn't (and shouldn't) be required to avoid the endless repitition that the offline mode otherwise presents.

Agreed

Tornado no one is denying the fact GT have alot of faults
we are just simply stating ways of dealing with them and making them better
I think if people stopped getting so bent out of shape because a few flaws and actually tried to enjoy the game it would make things alot easier.
If you dont like the game return it No need to argue with the people who found enjoyment in the game even with all if its faults

Im not getting it
People complain About there not being enough races
But complain about having to do so many races to reach level 40 ?

I think it's more of not enough different races. Look back at how many races and championships GT4 had, including all the one make races you actually got rewards for. There were plenty of races to keep you going (plus you could rewin the prize cars, making any redos worthwhile.)

Think of it as wanting several changes of scenery on your way to your destination, to have a great scrapbook. Instead, GT5 is along the lines of having a few changes of scenery, but in order to reach your destination, you have to drive through the same scenery over and over, and it won't make for a good scrapbook.

I think it's more of not enough different races. Look back at how many races and championships GT4 had, including all the one make races you actually got rewards for. There were plenty of races to keep you going (plus you could rewin the prize cars, making any redos worthwhile.)

Yep, that'd be my point. I don't mind having to do lots of racing to get to Level 40... I do mind when it's repeating a ton of the same races over and over. The Enduros are especially evil for this; why have a race only available to Level 40 when you stop earning XP at that point? And most people would probably own the car by then, too.

Think of it as wanting several changes of scenery on your way to your destination, to have a great scrapbook. Instead, GT5 is along the lines of having a few changes of scenery, but in order to reach your destination, you have to drive through the same scenery over and over, and it won't make for a good scrapbook.

GT4 versus GT5 is kind of like two people taking two different 2000km road trips; one did it by driving across the country, the other did it by driving around the block :P.

Like stated before: online gaming is an "on-top-of" proposition, not a substitute for offline content. Any developer that thinks it is stops getting my money.

Interesting. I think the ability to online race is the only "sim" aspect of this game that keeps me playing. I hardly ever do A or B spec anymore. So you aren't interested in an iRacing type game since it doesn't offer AI challenges? Only curious I don't mean it in a confrontational way.

I agree however that online racing does not replace grinding with a few measly thousand credits a race, if that. Unless you mean the seasonals. I was pleased with the sportstruck payout and hopefully they keep with that.

Yea GT4 didnt have online.
Im not saying so little races is a good thing
im just saying there are ways of going around redoing apec races

I have never grinded in this game. Ever.

I never grinded for money because I duped all the expensive cars I wanted before PD added gift restrictions. And I was able to get to level 30 without grinding thanks to those seasonal events that paid out all that xp. I'm up to level 35 now without grinding and I really don't intend on reaching level 40. Instead I'll enjoy myself with online racing, and the few A-Spec events I haven't done yet.

I'm happy. :)

Back