Do you like to drive cars tuned or stock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Omniscient
  • 41 comments
  • 2,888 views
Depends. When doing TTs I like stock. When racing, if stock cannot win, I tune.
 
Usually I'll tune cars that I actually use; I almost never have the full power parts equipped unless it's for a specific PP number.

Take the RX-7 Infiniti III I use - I put the suspension, transmission, clutch, LSD, and the stuff like that in - while only doing the Engine Tune and finding the right exhaust. (I think it's the Semi-Racing one in this case... sounds almost identical to the sound bytes for the rotaries in TXRD2.)

Generally speaking, the transmission is a MUST for me - I adjust it each time for each track to what I think feels the most natural for it. Almost all of the '60s and '70s cars need it (I'm looking at the American muscle cars...) to make them... decently fun to drive.
 
Half-tuned. All the non-pp mods but a few pp mods
 
I drive cars stock.


To be honest though, it's partly because I don't want to mess around with tuning. The other reason is because I think tuning the cars can ruin them and/or make them unrealistic. Cramming in Turbos and engine upgrades along w/ everything else can so fundamentally change a car that it may as well not even be the same car any longer.
 
Usually I'll tune cars that I actually use; I almost never have the full power parts equipped unless it's for a specific PP number.

Take the RX-7 Infiniti III I use - I put the suspension, transmission, clutch, LSD, and the stuff like that in - while only doing the Engine Tune and finding the right exhaust. (I think it's the Semi-Racing one in this case... sounds almost identical to the sound bytes for the rotaries in TXRD2.)

Generally speaking, the transmission is a MUST for me - I adjust it each time for each track to what I think feels the most natural for it. Almost all of the '60s and '70s cars need it (I'm looking at the American muscle cars...) to make them... decently fun to drive.

I agree with you for tuning transmissions. Old muscle cars are just so boring to drive if you don't, you'll never get out of 3rd!
 
Some cars I drive totally in stock:


Lexus LFA
Ferrari F40
Audi R8 4.2 (very useful in the 4WD Challenge Seasonal)
RUF CTR Yellowbird

The rest are either slightly or excessively tuned. I'm cleaning the garage of the latter, and I do have stock versions of my tuned cars as well.

The cars mentioned only have fully adjustable suspension and LSD to improve handling needs (except for the R8 )

In tuning a car, I adjust the ballast of those cars that have compromised handling due to the excess power. 4WDs have 5/5/5 front and 5/30/5 rear LSD settings and 25/75 Torque split for me. As for suspension and brakes of all cars, I rely on the tuning threads, though...

As for the Rotaries, I use my RE Amemiya FD3S as my benchmark as I believe that car is an epitome of balance.
 
I like stock, except for the suspension which I set back to stock settings except for camber, and I like sport medium tires on cars over 550pp. Other than that, stock. Great realistic feel.
 
I go back and forth. Right now I'm on a stock kick and many cars I've gotten over the past few months have remained stock. I also have duplicates of cars I like tuned and stock, such as the '86 GT.
 
This Thread needs a poll...

Anyways, both, I usually have 2 of each car that I like, 1 bone stock the other for Drag Racing and Racing.
 
Even on a stock horsepower car, I'll tune the transmission and suspension. They're capable of so much more than the horrible stock transmissions allow. Some cars have decent stock settings, but 90-95% can be tweaked to get better acceleration even without any motor or tire upgrades.
 
I've got 2 accounts.

First account is what I use mainly for online so it has mostly tuned cars except for Spec/Tuning Prohibited stock vehicles. GTP account is used for offline only and is 95% stock except for tuning allowed TT's.

Offline cars are chiefly for TT's or Arcades. Arcade and most seasonals the cars are all stock with my weight added in ballast and no driver aids. B/B is adjusted for ABS 0. Street Tires default or generally 1-2 grades lower. Sometimes SS tires on GT500 level cars, SM for high-mid power TC or Tuners. Prefer CH on all Vintage street cars (wish there was a lower grade), Sports on Vintage racers.

I prefer driving Stock nowadays. GT5's days are waning and I'm enjoying driving so many cars that have gathered dust. I like to see how they drive in a lowest common denominator setting and how competitive they are compared to other vehicles.
 
Even if the car doesn't need any tuning, I still add atleast a racing exhaust & spoiler to make the car look more sporty.

In short, I prefer tuning.
 
Back