Do you like to drive underrated cars?

• Thread starter gtp_Lee
  • 41 comments

Do you?

• Total voters
South Korea
Seoul
Hello again, :gtplanet:!
After having raced a great, and clean player, who had chosen the Peugeot VGT Gr.3 and we had a good battle, I wanted to ask this question to those of you that may read this.

Simple, really. Do you like to challenge yourself and drive cars that are not the meta-cars that most people use? If so, which cars are your personal favorites? I personally like to drive the Hyundais. A friend of mine actually jokingly calls them "the Genesis'... of the meh" and it kind of is true, they are almost never the best cars but they suit my driving style and are quite fun! :D

Hope to see some cool answers!

I'm almost never fastest in the meta. Well, OK, I'm never fastest. What I'm saying is that I am fast in torquey FR's, regardless. If the TT or Megane is on top of the boards, I'll still be personally faster in the Mustang or C7. I'd almost kill for a 599 GTB or an 812 for the Ferrari events.

I don’t intentionally go against the grain, I just go with what I like regardless of where the grain is going.

In some ways it’s advantageous to take the underused/underpowered car as less people are using them and you have less competition to get a spot in manufacturers events.

I used to drive for Lamborghini but earlier in the year an update made the lift-off oversteer in the Gr. 3 too unmanageable for me. I switched to Mazda but I ended up not liking the feel and right now I’m with McLaren, the F1 is really good. Haven’t done much Gr. 4 so I don’t have many opinions on the 650 yet.

It feels like I mostly drive only them most of the time. Very few for example choose 86 GT for gt4 races, or RC F. I'm also like to drive RC F road version and in Super GT (gt2), and SC. In group 3 almost 70 percent of Sport races spent in Supra. Other 30 in Porsche, but I don't know how underrated this one is. Also like taking Golf for a spin, where is possible, old Supra and even more older Supra.

Decided to go for an all-Mustang assault in Manufacturers this season, and haven't regretted it one bit. Consistent top 10 finishes between both versions and a 3rd-place finish in my most recent race at Red Bull Ring. The GT is supposedly the better of the Gr.3 Fords, but was too twitchy for me when I first tried it. Mustang feels a lot more planted under acceleration in that spec, while both versions pack a great punch down the straights.

Special shout-outs to the Gr.3 Subaru (GT300-style aero, acceleration, performance on softer compounds), the TS050 (best all-rounder of the LMP1 hybrids IMO) and the Gr.1 Hyundai (my absolute favourite VGT).

For the first part of the week yes, but then I usually cave and use the meta car anyway. It’s more rewarding to beating the meta car users in something different though.

I’m on a Honda NSX kick right now for gr4 and gr3, I feel they are underrated and I am often the only one in the lobby using them. Not fast on the straight but it’s handles very nicely. It also has it’s advantages when tire and fuel wear are on.

The TS050 is usually my choice for gr1 races as well. It has massive acceleration out of low and medium speed corners, and it’s great on fuel.

Last edited:
I'm a Porsche guy.
The Cayman and the 911 RSR just suit my driving style really good and it's in 99% of the Gr.4/Gr.3 races my car of choice.

And, no matter what the meta car is, I'm most of the time at least comparable with the other drivers.

Special shout-outs to the Gr.3 Subaru (GT300-style aero, acceleration, performance on softer compounds)

Agree, Subaru just stand out of the crowd, really cool choice to make a car into SGT, rather than simple GT3. Love this car, but never gave it much attention.

Well yeah. I mean any a-hole can win in a porsche or ferrari or lamborghini. The 911 is meta.

There's a lot more pride and accomplishment using something not quite mainstream.

The Clio V6 is an example.

I guess.. been driving gr3 and gr4 with mustangs since launch - not too popular in EMEA outside few gr3 meta tracks.. haven come across a track where gr4 mustang would be meta. :lol: Current physics did make mustangs boring to drive and hence i havent raced gr3/4 much lately. I have also used the Ford gt for gr3, but only occasionally.

In N class using rarer cars is harder in GTS as it doesnt have the performance points system gt5/6 had. In old GTs one could take the most peculiar cars if they could match power to weight ratio of a pp class and tune it to work somehow. Isuzu Piazza was one of mine - this with a massive drag type rear wing.. many might be surpriced its actually a rwd FR layout car..:cheers:

car_482_46737_555f5d833008c.jpg

Last edited:
I used to use the 120d in GT6. That was highly underrated. So much torque.

Definitely prefer using anything other than the META.

Att My skill level it's really about the driver and not the car. I get why aliens want to maximize their potential,but I am a far way from using the full potential of any of the cars. So I drive what I enjoy the most.
I had a period of Genesis love, I still like them a lot but I tend to use the Jag as a replacement. Also the Lexus see some milage on my time.
Last week on Willow Springs I ran the Mustang gr4 and loved it, this week I run the Jag gr3 in Kyoto and enjoy it a lot. Even if I find myself knee deep in Supra's

Overwhelming support to the non-meta cars! I'm quite happy with what I'm seeing! :D

Speaking about it, has anyone tried out the Peugeot VGT Gr.3 spec? I'm actually wanting to try it out for myself; but what do you guys say about it?

Not sure if it's exactly underrated, but the Ford F-150 Raptor is a real threat on technical tracks. I had a very good race on the Nordshliefe with a couple friends a while back and I traded positions constantly throughout the race against an R32 using that truck.

Then there are some underrated cars that should never be driven, such as the Infiniti and Subaru VGTs.

Damn, they're that bad? The Infiniti was awesome in GT6! And the Subaru was planted and neutral too.

Yep, they got completely ruined for GT Sport. The Infiniti just spins out on every corner and the Subaru wants to do the same except it feels FF biased making really uncomfortable to drive.

It's a real shame because I really like the look of the Infiniti.

Speaking about it, has anyone tried out the Peugeot VGT Gr.3 spec? I'm actually wanting to try it out for myself; but what do you guys say about it?
Was always fast straight line but bad everywhere else I thought, but since the physics update it seems to be getting used more often.
I haven't tried it, but some on my friends list have been getting reasonably decent times with it here and there lately.

I wonder if the kei cars from the older GT games are considered underrated because of their given characteristics especially in a racing game.

I wonder if the kei cars from the older GT games are considered underrated because of their given characteristics especially in a racing game.
The Cappuccino wasn't. Being FR, it was pretty speedy. Especially most having turbos and some with awd, kei cars are weapons in past GT games.

Yes, I am a true "hipster" driver. In Gr.4 the fastest car is often FWD, which I absolutely hate and will not drive if I can in any way avoid it. I like to choose between what I consider "handling" cars and "top speed" cars but I will rarely go for the absolute best at either. I like a bit of a jack of all trades car really. I would say I still haven't found the comfiest wagon for me in Gr. 4.

As for Group 3, the same goes. The "fastest" cars are often very nervous in their character - think Supra, R8, NSX type of handling. I much prefer a car I can reliably get around the track without those uncertain moments in the corners; right now I use the Hyundai, Aston Martin, Corvette, and AMG GTR most, I think, but just to add to my hipster points, I actually used the Citroen in the daily races with friends yesterday. It has the worst cockpit in the history of time, you can barely see the road!

In gr 1 I know I am far from fast so I will just choose whichever of my collection jumps out at me. The Jag XJR9 and its awesome 5 speed gearbox is among my favourites, but I do often use the Mazda LM55 which seems to be a fairly popular choice.

It's a mix for me as to why I'm not in the meta car - for gr 4, I find FWD frustrating and boring, and in gr 3 I lack the chops to extract the best from the more squirrely, but faster cars.

It often pays off - my gr 4 car will pass them in the corners, my gr 3 will pass them when they crash. In racing where you can't count on people behaving themselves or keeping their car under control, I find a comfortable car that I can easily drive is a much more rewarding experience than having that 0.5s of extra pace but being on the razor's edge the whole way around.

I'm still waiting for my Lancia Delta Gr. 4 and 037 Evo Gr. 3 ;)

Yes, I am a true "hipster" driver. In Gr.4 the fastest car is often FWD, which I absolutely hate and will not drive if I can in any way avoid it. I like to choose between what I consider "handling" cars and "top speed" cars but I will rarely go for the absolute best at either. I like a bit of a jack of all trades car really. I would say I still haven't found the comfiest wagon for me in Gr. 4.

As for Group 3, the same goes. The "fastest" cars are often very nervous in their character - think Supra, R8, NSX type of handling. I much prefer a car I can reliably get around the track without those uncertain moments in the corners; right now I use the Hyundai, Aston Martin, Corvette, and AMG GTR

100% they are my cars. The rate doesn't wash and loose speed if you are a little rough, I am actually faster in these cars for that reason.

I cant turn a lap in the supra to save my life.

I drive for Nissan in the Manufacturer Series.

I usually enjoy Kei car races when they pop up in Sport Mode. It's easy to drive the cars to their limit, so the racing is usually close.

Back