Do you own a DFP?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tmonsen5
  • 66 comments
  • 3,042 views

do you own a DFP?

  • Yes

    Votes: 105 59.3%
  • No

    Votes: 26 14.7%
  • Will buy one soon

    Votes: 39 22.0%
  • Waste of money

    Votes: 7 4.0%

  • Total voters
    177
JasonX
What aids???? Letz see who will be faster online... :trouble:


so far, ppl with DS2 cant even come close to the people using DFP on Nurburgring time attack
 
I don´t know if i stand waiting GT4 to own one, or if i own one before GT4 comes out.

What shall i do better?
 
Hyde
so far, ppl with DS2 cant even come close to the people using DFP on Nurburgring time attack


so u mean for the precision u have with DFP? I can imagine, cause i really don´t like to play with my DS2 , it´s not precise and i can drive better with a steering wheel for sure.
At the ring(nordschleife), in the limits, do the DFP really worths and u can keep the car under control if u are good at driving, or it´s just as the DS2 but a little more precise?
 
I don't own one. I don't have the money for it :=]
 
Its nothing like a DS!
 
I don't have a DFP, but I wish I did!

It is not available in Brazil... The DF (old one) costs like US$200 here, I would imagine how much the DFP would be...
 
Hyde
so far, ppl with DS2 cant even come close to the people using DFP on Nurburgring time attack

sorry to say, but this isn't due to the fact that they are using a DS2, fact is, most people serious about this game, own a DFP. therefor, they have the better times, but it's a well known fact that the DS2 has an advantage because of the "dumbed down" controls, an amateur can give a decent fight to a guy that is good just by using the DS2.
 
ppucci
I don't have a DFP, but I wish I did!

It is not available in Brazil... The DF (old one) costs like US$200 here, I would imagine how much the DFP would be...


wow, i gotta go to brazil and sell videogame items. in the US the regular DF is 50 bucks these days.
 
icemanshooter23
No, I don't own a DFP. I'm so used to the DS2 at this point that I dont think it would help me at all.


Most people dont buy the driving force pro because it helps them, they buy it because its about a million times more fun and immersive than using a DS2.

I currently only have the old Logitech Driving force with dead Force feedback, but I will be buying the Driving Force Pro for Christmas, and maybe one of those Act Labs clutch pedal sets. 👍
 
Gabkicks
Most people dont buy the driving force pro because it helps them, they buy it because its about a million times more fun and immersive than using a DS2.

I currently only have the old Logitech Driving force with dead Force feedback, but I will be buying the Driving Force Pro for Christmas, and maybe one of those Act Labs clutch pedal sets. 👍


well, the clutch wouldn't help at all.. but if logitech is still shiping defective pedals, then it would be a decent addition anyway... but if you really want good pedals, and money isn't an issue, you could get either some FREX or ECCI pedals, both are pro caliber, the FREX look like supercar pedals, and the ECCI look like a regular car pedals, both are about 400 bucks and look/feel amazing. (i own the ECCI, but you can't go wrong either way.)
 
Well the top times on GT4 prologue were split between wheel and DS2.
 
Gabkicks
Most people dont buy the driving force pro because it helps them, they buy it because its about a million times more fun and immersive than using a DS2.

I currently only have the old Logitech Driving force with dead Force feedback, but I will be buying the Driving Force Pro for Christmas, and maybe one of those Act Labs clutch pedal sets. 👍

Do the ACT clutch pedal sets even work for ps2? and what about the ACT gear shifter? i thought those only worked for PC
 
i just want it so i can have more control in other things when shifting and heeltoe instead of pressing a button.
 
Hyde
so far, ppl with DS2 cant even come close to the people using DFP on Nurburgring time attack

I'm not sure if this is really an apt observation. While you're quite accurate, I think the circumstances surrounding the demo make it somewhat biased. It might not be so much of a "DFP is better" so much as "Everyone has a DFP and uses it".

Think about it.. this demo is not a "normal" disc. Most of the people playing it either imported it, burned it, or HDLoaded it. And if I'm not mistaken, this requires more money. These are "hardcore" gamers/racers who have a modchip or swap-disc, a DVD burner, or an extra hard drive laying around for HDLoader. That means they've got the inclination and the money to dump into the PS2, which includes the DFP. I bet if you did a more specific poll, limited only to those people who are currently playing the no-time-limit demo, you'll find an inordinate number of them own the DFP, as opposed to all the members in general, especially the majority who haven't invested in a modchip or other various "enhancements" to their PS2. That's why the DFP appears to dominate. Not because it's better, but simply because almost everyone is using it for the demo.

I think the question of which is better should wait until after GT4 comes out. A proper "Run Around The 'Ring" challenge, for all members, and I bet you'll have some pretty close times between DFP and DS2. I recommend to wait at least one month after the game comes out, to let us poor non-demo players (:)) learn the track.
 
With gt3, there was no guarentee someone would be faster with a wheel or DS2, it was personal preference. Infact, if I remember correctly, the world's fastest players mostly use DS2 because thats what they've used through out the whole GT series and are accustomed to it. Maybe GT4 will be different and give wheel users an advantage but this is unlikely. They will most likely balance the difficulty and potential of both.. 👍 Its all about what is more fun to you. The thing is, people usually play Gran Turismo more once they've bought a wheel, so they become better and assume it is the wheel, when it is the experience they have gained from so much "seat time".
and uh... i'm tired.. my sleeping pills are kicking in...:boggled:
 
any hardcor GT fan should get one I just bought mine last week and its real fun still didn't get used to it on gt4: proluge ,thats why I'm playing gt3 with 200 degree mode just to get used to the intial contol of teh cars .

With DFP there is more challange ,my uncle how doesn't play games saw me playing with it on proluge ,and he wanted to try it and he did have alot fun and he was impressed .
 
Well i guess you can say i own it, i borrow it from my friend so much, i guess iown it now :D
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Trying to learn how to use the DFP is hard for me! :crazy: Using the controller is very friendly and easy for many to get used to. Me and my friends even tried the DFP and all agreed that the wheel is sooo much harder, BUT FUN!!! :lol::O One big advantage I think the DFP wheel have over the controller is "concentration." Playing with the controller for a while can get you sleepy, especially long races. The wheel will always keep you concentrated because your arms and legs have to move.

I highly recommend getting the DFP if you have the money! :O But if you really need that 100-150 dollars for something more important, then don't buy it until you REALLY do got extra money for it. :cheers:
 
McLaren'sAngel
One big advantage I think the DFP wheel have over the controller is "concentration." Playing with the controller for a while can get you sleepy, especially long races. The wheel will always keep you concentrated because your arms and legs have to move.

Yep exactly, I get sleepy at times with the DS2 controller but that doesnt happen with the DFP :).
 
Anyone else find that you can't brake 'as hard' with the DFP as opposed to the DS2 controller???

Although that maybe down to where mine is currently situated is a very unnatural driving position, coupled with it being quite unstable and not being inline with the TV... yeah that may explain it...
 
Mine seems to brake the same with DS2 or DFP. Does it fill the red bar (brake throttle indicator) when you brake?
 
I'll check next time I have it out, which isn't as often as it should be due to the driving position when it is hooked up :(

That being said it is fun although I really do wish that GT4P had 'free run'.
 
Yeah I would have liked a free run, oh well.

Hurry up GT4!
 
I've ran the gt4 demo with my DS2 and DFP. I've ran maybe 20 or so laps with the DS2 giving my all and the best lap I came up with was a 7'00.3xx. I could probally now chip it down to a 6'58ish but I dont see no more time than that. Then on my first DFP attempt I did 5 laps and had a new best time of 6'59.8xx. Today I ran about 15 more laps with the DFP and i've gotten my time down to a 6'53.389 with about a few more second's of possible improvement left.
I can drive deeper into some corner's because of the minute control with the DFP, there are a few corners where your turning and braking. Having a brake pedal pressed down 30% compared to the square button pressed down at 75-100% makes a big difference. I can turn my wheels further with the DFP than I can with the DS2. Check it out the full lock on the DS2 is roughly 100* on the DFP, that extra turned wheel angle does help out too. Some corners I simply just drive faster through with the DFP than I do the DS2, I dont know why because I'm turning the tires about the same with each controler, using the same turn in point. Force feed back just improoves everything even further IMO, I can catch myself when getting oversteer because I feel it through the wheel. With the DS2 I have to wait until I see the oversteer visually.
Dont get me wrong i'm not bashing the DS2 simply because I own a DFP. I've set many records in GT3 with my DS2 but in the GT4 demo the wheel really prevails over the DS2 IMO.
 
TriplePlay
I own a DFP and i dont even own a PS2 anymore. xbox rules. But im keepin my DFP for ps3 and xbox 2 (hopefully) because it is a kickass wheel. :D

I didn't know it's going to be possible to use the DFP with the xbox2!!! :confused:

xbox2 ==> USB???

Shows how much I know about these things. I am so stupid :boggled: :dopey:
 
Gabkicks
With gt3, there was no guarentee someone would be faster with a wheel or DS2, it was personal preference. Infact, if I remember correctly, the world's fastest players mostly use DS2 because thats what they've used through out the whole GT series and are accustomed to it.

I can relate to this. I used to race radio control cars here in the UK, using the twin stick handset rather than the 'pistol' style ones which are popular in the US. I tried a friends pistol-grip controller once and was truly awful, I was so used to the twin sticks I couldn't get my head around it...

So it probably comes down to what you're used to, if you've been using the DS forever then you'll be fast and the DFP will be so alien that you won't be anywhere near your times - but only to start off with.

After spending the cash on the DFP, I decided I wasn't gonna give up on the wheel quite so easily... :sly:
 
The DFP is much faster with cars under 300 HP or so,and also for rally events. It is so much easier to keep smooth lines (with the resulting faster speeds) in the corners, and it is much easier to trail brake or to use, say, 25% brakes for just a second to transfer weight forward. When I first got the DFP I improved my TT2 and TT4 times by half a second before I was even used to it.(I'm always working on improving my TT times for online GT databases when I'm bored)

The main problem for me is that I have always used 3rd person-view since GT1, and the 3rd person view does not work with a wheel correctly.It took me a long time to get used to the first person view, I was always afriad of running off track or touching walls and such. I still use the DS2 when I am trying to get an all-out hotlap for certain OLR events, but am getting away from it more and more. It's taking longer than I like to adapt for the high power cars but, it's coming along.

It seems like GT4 will give a big boost to the DFP drivers due to the advanced physics which will respond better to smooth inputs. I can't wait.:)
 
I own one and am very happy with it.

Can someone of the 5 that voted "waste of money' until now, try to argument why? From the poll it is not clear that they own one or that they base that 'waste of money' on......?
 
Jedi2016
I'm not sure if this is really an apt observation. While you're quite accurate, I think the circumstances surrounding the demo make it somewhat biased. It might not be so much of a "DFP is better" so much as "Everyone has a DFP and uses it".

Think about it.. this demo is not a "normal" disc. Most of the people playing it either imported it, burned it, or HDLoaded it. And if I'm not mistaken, this requires more money. These are "hardcore" gamers/racers who have a modchip or swap-disc, a DVD burner, or an extra hard drive laying around for HDLoader. That means they've got the inclination and the money to dump into the PS2, which includes the DFP. I bet if you did a more specific poll, limited only to those people who are currently playing the no-time-limit demo, you'll find an inordinate number of them own the DFP, as opposed to all the members in general, especially the majority who haven't invested in a modchip or other various "enhancements" to their PS2. That's why the DFP appears to dominate. Not because it's better, but simply because almost everyone is using it for the demo.

I think the question of which is better should wait until after GT4 comes out. A proper "Run Around The 'Ring" challenge, for all members, and I bet you'll have some pretty close times between DFP and DS2. I recommend to wait at least one month after the game comes out, to let us poor non-demo players (:)) learn the track.

you are right about most things, except for one thing, the DFP and DS2 are two very different control schemes, so if we had a "hardcore" gamer get good with a DS2, it will soundly beat any DFP user, the reason? the controls are dumbed down in the DS2 to make it playable on a controller (try driving a real car with a PS2 controller, it would be very difficult if it were possible).
people play with the DFP not because it's better, but because it's a lot more realistic and rewarding. GT4 allmost becomes a different game if you play it with a DF or DFP.
as far as your other observations, i agree. most people that dominate are DFP users, but because they are hardcore GT fans. most of those invest tons of time in the game, most DS2 users are just casual gamers.
 
I am now the owner of a driving force pro :) but i cant take it out of the box untill christmas. :grumpy:
 
Back