Do You Think December 21 2012 is The End Of The World?

Do you believe that the armageddon will come in 2012?

• Yeah!!

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • Maybe..

Votes: 17 4.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 33 7.7%
  • Nope!!!

Votes: 341 80.0%
  • I'll tell you tomorrow.... :scared:

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they probably just stopped making the calendar, it's not like it's written down as the world ending but rather the calendar just stops on the 21st.

The current Mayan cycle on the calendar ends in 2012.

It's like Y2K hysteria... only in relation to a calendar that no living, sane human being actually uses.

Point is moot. For the Mayans, the world ended a loooooong time ago.

No, they probably just stopped making the calendar, it's not like it's written down as the world ending but rather the calendar just stops on the 21st.

They stopped making the calendar but it's ending is 41,341,049,999,999,999,999,999,994,876 years away.

The world will end when the sun dies out, that's like in 50 billion years. So you might want to rethink not buying those Christmas presents.

Last edited:
It's like Y2K hysteria... only in relation to a calendar that no living, sane human being actually uses.
I read somewhere that the guy who first started talking about these doomsday predictions is the founder of Planet ARK, and is not actually a Mayanologist.

Now I'm not too big on believing that people can have visions and I'm not that big into religion either,but a buddy of mine pointed this video out and said I should watch it.

I almost turned it off,but I kept on listening to what she had to say and before you know it the video was over.It is pretty interesting and if you guys can spare about 16 minutes then you guys might find it interesting too.

Not sure if this was already posted before here, but NASA's official website is calling all these 2012 scares BS:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

The sad thing is so many people believe in it that NASA actually felt the need to print that.

OMG! The government denies it! It must be true!

The world will end when the sun dies out, that's like in 50 million years. So you might want to rethink not buying those Christmas presents.

You're missing a couple of zeros in that estimate. 50 million years is just the blink of an eye in terms of our Sun's lifespan.

No.

The Mayans have cycles and this cycle ends December 23rd 2012.

So do we. Our cycles end every year on December 31st. We have other, bigger ones that end every ten years, hundred years, thousand years, ten thousand years and in fact every time we need to put a new unit in place.

The Mayan - or Mesoamerican - Long Count calendar won't end until a considerable time after the Earth is swallowed by the Sun, the galaxy coalesces with the Andromeda galaxy and, in fact, after the universe itself ends.

A cycle ends. The calendar doesn't. Like Joey said.

This particular cycle is one of the bigger ones - a nearly 400 year one - but not the biggest. Besides which then we already had a Gregorian Calendar cycle of more than twice that magnitude ending a few years back (no cataclysm). Incidentally, the b'ak'tun ends on December 21st, not 23rd. We've also seen b'ak'tuns ending in September 1618 (no cataclysm), June 1224 (no cataclysm), March 830 (no cataclysm), December 435 (no cataclysm)...

You're missing a couple of zeros in that estimate. 50 million years is just the blink of an eye in terms of our Sun's lifespan.

Yes, realized that after I posted it, I couldn't edit it on my phone without retyping the whole thing.

No.

The Mayans have cycles and this cycle ends December 23rd 2012.

Right, a cycle claims to end on December 21st not December 23rd, as we can see from leap years that isn't correct.

The bak'tun cycle won't end till the year 4772. But after that there are more and more cycles. You need 20 bak'tun cycles to equal 1 piktun cycles, this takes about 7885 years from 3114 BCE, so thus the year 4772. Then you have 20 piktun cycles which equal 1 kalabtun cycle, this process takes about 157,700 years to complete. This is mainly due to a controversy that a cycle is to the base 20 and not 13.

If you subscribe to the 13 cycle model, the ending will looking something like this:

The date of December 21st, 2012 is bolded. In terms we can understand though, this is equal to 41,341,049,999,999,999,999,999,994,876 years from 3114 BCE.

And since I've always wanted to say this in a discussion, "Trust me, I'm an anthropologist!" :lol:

So I shouldn't cancel that last-minute Christmas shopping?

I was looking forward to empty malls, great parking spaces, and shopping centers free from noise.

I fear some suicidal incidents close to the date (remember that cult with the passing asteroid?) and also public anger with all the charlatan authors that used the myth to earn piles of cash after nothing happens.

Nothing happened at the millenium, sure as hell nothing happens now either. But also dates, numbers don't mean anything when 0 is arbitrary.

I know what I'll be doing, standing next to all the crazies with there signs and loud chants about how the world is doomed to buggery and we should all submit to God or face hell... or something. I'll just be looking at my watch occasionally and turning to them going "Well come on then, am I going to fall through a ravine into the earth's core or have you dragged me out here so I can get a bit chilly?"

I know what I'll be doing, standing next to all the crazies with there signs and loud chants about how the world is doomed to buggery and we should all submit to God or face hell... or something.

If they're right, you know all the late-adopters are going to be the last to board, get the crappy line to the pearly gates, and probably get the urban slum area of paradise with no frills.

If they're right, you know all the late-adopters are going to be the last to board, get the crappy line to the pearly gates, and probably get the urban slum area of paradise with no frills.

Yer well I tend not to think that I'll be wrong :D And if I am, well ah balls!

For the 21 people that voted yes, give me all your money. You won't need it.

I would actually want the world to end on the 21st of Dec, my finals would be in the week after that.

The Mayan calender didn't count the fact that there's leap years now, so technically it should be 2013 already & that useless old calender should have reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back