• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 224 comments

Is GT Academy fixed to favour real drivers over real players

• I believe it is fixed

Votes: 38 22.0%
  • I believe it is fair

Votes: 135 78.0%

• Total voters
I did, read that part of his post - was stepping out of "hypothetical" land and back into reality, just to highlight the reality of the program and the reasoning behind their actions.

That being said: Steve was not in good physical shape when he won, has clearly made huge leaps in that department. To quote Rob from him speaking with us this year and another reference was to Lucas, and that he "was a fat Spaniard" when he one, but then got into shape.

What this translates to:

It doesn't matter what you did for a job or even your physical conditioning (to an extent) - it's about your potential and overall package.

If we want to go back to hypothetical land: yes Cargo, you could be a peak physical specimen and look like a door mat and still be the winner.

Unfortunately - your disability would most likely keep you from making it to Silverstone. There are many, many, many, many documents you must sign, physicals you must complete, and certain competencies that you must be able to perform without exception.

It comes down to being able to attain the MSA racing license (equivalent to a SCCA/ICSCC license in America) - and unfortunately your disability would keep you from attaining one in the states as well.

That being said, it's still a fair competion - as you rightly aknowledged.

Just thinking about Cargo's comments and this above.

I'm struggling how to put this without sounding like a complete arse.

If the physical side and passing medicals is so stringent, where does Nick Hamilton fit in all this? I assume he has a racing licence?

Yes I sound like an arse.

Last edited:
Just thinking about Cargo's comments and this above.

I'm struggling how to put this without sounding like a complete arse.

If the physical side and passing medicals is so stringent, where does Nick Hamilton fit in all this? I assume he has a racing licence?

Yes I sound like an arse.

You don't need to be in peak physical fitness to get a license, or to win the competition in fact. And there's a big difference between doing a professional 24h race and driving a Clio around at the back of the field for 20 minutes or so.

Thank you for not lambasting me, I was struggling how to approach the question carefully, but I thought it pertain slightly to Cargo and Ziptie's conversation.

Anyway, screw this GT Academy hoop jumping! I'm off to get my licence and be a race car/stripped out FF econobox driver......oh wait! Dad!!!!!

I think you guys are missing my main point and my apologies if I didn't make it clear enough. Regardless of anything else, I doubt very much that Nissan is going to want a 49 year old representing them and furthermore, there is no way they would invest in that. If the 49 year old were to somehow come out on top, I'm sure Nissan would find a way to "fix" things so that wouldn't happen. That's all I was trying to say here was the age thing. The other stuff I was just more less adlibbing. I doubt very much that situation would ever present itself because Nissan would probably head it off before it became an issue. That's where the politics come into play.

And please, I have no grand illusions of being "that guy" :lol:, my only goal is to be a U.S. finalist, that's all. The dream stops there for me and I am completely fine with that. With my health, that's all the farther I could go anyway. I just want to make the trip and have the chance to meet and race with the very people of whom I have looked up to and admired here on GTP. For me, that would be a dream come true. I have been chasing that very dream for 5 years now, hopefully this is the year. :nervous:

I think you guys are missing my main point and my apologies if I didn't make it clear enough. Regardless of anything else, I doubt very much that Nissan is going to want a 49 year old representing them and furthermore, there is no way they would invest in that. If the 49 year old were to somehow come out on top, I'm sure Nissan would find a way to "fix" things so that wouldn't happen. That's all I was trying to say here was the age thing. The other stuff I was just more less adlibbing. I doubt very much that situation would ever present itself because Nissan would probably head it off before it became an issue. That's where the politics come into play.

And please, I have no grand illusions of being "that guy" :lol:, my only goal is to be a U.S. finalist, that's all. The dream stops there for me and I am completely fine with that. With my health, that's all the farther I could go anyway. I just want to make the trip and have the chance to meet and race with the very people of whom I have looked up to and admired here on GTP. For me, that would be a dream come true. I have been chasing that very dream for 5 years now, hopefully this is the year. :nervous:
For someone who I assume knows about racing I'm surprised you're not seeing a very big picture here. Racing is not like basketball or football/soccer. If you look at the professional racing scene the majority of the drivers are ages 35 - 55. I'd say its more of a risk to take young drivers 18 - 30 because they're young and there's a higher chance of them being unreliable to perform certain task whereas with an older gentleman even without experience would be on a higher critical thinking level than the younger folks. Its relevant almost every where you go including racing. Sure both young and older can have same drive and determination but its much more riskier to invest in a younger driver than the latter. If you reverse the roles I think it would make alot more sense to you. Btw I really hope your goal pushes further than just being U.S GTAcademy finalist...maybe being an F1 Champion ? Never look down on your age, the sky is still the limit.

For someone who I assume knows about racing I'm surprised you're not seeing a very big picture here. Racing is not like basketball or football/soccer. If you look at the professional racing scene the majority of the drivers are ages 35 - 55. I'd say its more of a risk to take young drivers 18 - 30 because they're young and there's a higher chance of them being unreliable to perform certain task whereas with an older gentleman even without experience would be on a higher critical thinking level than the younger folks. Its relevant almost every where you go including racing. Sure both young and older can have same drive and determination but its much more riskier to invest in a younger driver than the latter. If you reverse the roles I think it would make alot more sense to you. Btw I really hope your goal pushes further than just being U.S GTAcademy finalist...maybe being an F1 Champion ? Never look down on your age, the sky is still the limit.

Yes, I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to racing. All I'm saying here is that I doubt that Nissan would want a 49 year old representing them as far as the Academy goes. That's not a very marketable age and plus it is around that age that most drivers are thinking about retirement, not starting out their career.

Also, thanks for the kind words and vote of confidence but perhaps you missed the part where I said my health will prevent me from going any further than being a finalist. I am disabled and have various health issues so yea, there is no being a F1 Champion for me....and I am perfectly fine with that part of it.

Sure both young and older can have same drive and determination but its much more riskier to invest in a younger driver than the latter.

Not really, a younger driver can be paid less, is easier to mould through teaching and, regardless of average ages in racing, is likely to be around longer. If they had a 20 year old and 30 year old at the same skill level they'd prefer the former for those reasons. Whether they'd manipulate the results to make that happen is another matter entirely, and one I can't really comment on. The non-bitter losing finalists think not, and I'm inclined to trust them.

Not really, a younger driver can be paid less, is easier to mould through teaching and, regardless of average ages in racing, is likely to be around longer. If they had a 20 year old and 30 year old at the same skill level they'd prefer the former for those reasons. Whether they'd manipulate the results to make that happen is another matter entirely, and one I can't really comment on. The non-bitter losing finalists think not, and I'm inclined to trust them.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think that there has been any "fixing" going on in the Academy thus far. I am only stating that in the event that there was a special age (45+ yo) circumstance presenting itself in the Academy, Nissan would be inclined to make sure that a younger driver would be pushed through as the winner. Again, I can't say I would blame them. It could be considered a bit unfair and age discrimination could enter into the picture I suppose, but again, would you want to invest in a person that is already in retirement range for a driver. I know I wouldn't. Anyways, this is just my feelings on the matter and again, I don't think there is any "fixing" going on in the Academy.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think that there has been any "fixing" going on in the Academy thus far. I am only stating that in the event that there was a special age (45+ yo) circumstance presenting itself in the Academy, Nissan would be inclined to make sure that a younger driver would be pushed through as the winner. Again, I can't say I would blame them. It could be considered a bit unfair and age discrimination could enter into the picture I suppose, but again, would you want to invest in a person that is already in retirement range for a driver. I know I wouldn't. Anyways, this is just my feelings on the matter and again, I don't think there is any "fixing" going on in the Academy.

Don't worry, I knew you weren't complaining, more, er, lamenting a lack of opportunity I suppose? The end of my post was intended to say something very similar to you in that maybe they would, but it doesn't appear to have happened yet, and the opening was explaining why I think a younger driver is advantageous. The only thing I considered saying specifically to you was good luck embarrassing some kids at nationals. 👍

Edit: oh, the last sentence may be the problem, that not so thinly veiled insult was aimed at the losing finalists who seem to say everything short of 'it was fixed'. Fortunately that attitude is quite rare.

life is based on how you look at it . IF you think that gt academy is fixed then your mind will make this theory a reality , stopping you from pushing harder . here you have already lost . People always try to look for excuses . I'm not giving it 100 % because it is fixed or something or because others have more experience than me ..... talent beat everything else !!! If you are ugly or not fit enough thats not a problem really if you have the talent required ! because no one can teach you how to be talented or fast .... if you think you are talented and still think that gt academy is fixed then I have bad news for ya . You have always to see it in a positive way . This is how I see gt academy : it is the only opportunity I had to make my dream become reality I have been waiting for it my entire life . When I saw that they are looking for pure talent then I stopped saying is it working and I start saying How I am going to make it happen . And I dont really understand why some people think it is so hard and brutal .... those challenges are not there to make you suffer but to see how you handle your stress, responsability .... when competting in race camp always say to yourself that all this will make you a champion one day and dont make your goal just winning gt academy ! your goal is to be worldwide known driver .. gt academy is just the first step and always keep in mind that if it was easy everyone would do it . If you loose dont ask if it is fixed or not but rather ask what are my weaknesses and try another road . If you fail learn from your mistakes thats how champions are made . This is my mentality and this year I'm winning gt academy and then I am going to fight even harder to make my dream become a reality because yes my dream is not to win the competition its only the begining of a very long journey full of hard things . If I dont win then .... NO ! I'M going to win I have no other choice than to win

Off the top of my head I'd say that they wouldn't want any old Tom, Dick or Harry charging about in one of their race cars

Based on that I reckon there's clauses and stuff in place so that they get the 'right' kind of winner

Off the top of my head I'd say that they wouldn't want any old Tom, Dick or Harry charging about in one of their race cars

Based on that I reckon there's clauses and stuff in place so that they get the 'right' kind of winner
That's you out then me old mate.:D

What's the difference? They insure these drivers whoever they are, no matter their age, anyhow, to cover their investment. If any one of those drivers, of any age, became unexpectedly dead or disabled, NISSAN gets a big fat check from their insurance company.

I still say not many people near 50 would even truly want to start a career as a professional race car driver, so there's probably no good reason for anyone to risk manipulating anything.

Looks like it was 42 not 45 my bad.

Either way it's here look under India's list of drivers(Age is in brackets).

http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/academy/recaps/2014_international/
Thanks:tup: Talk about a tongue twister in English. I wonder what Murray Walker would have done with "Thanaroj Thanasitnitiket". Cheese and crackers, there's no way Murray could ever get that right:lol::lol::lol:

"Vettel is being chased by Thanisal...errr..Thistleon...er..Tumbleweed...er....Tam Osaki...errr...the guy from Thailand is right behind Vettel...."

I think having a less-than-optimal past could actually make people more marketable. People love stories about how people turn their lives around and become going from zero to hero.

Personally, I don't think Nissan would discriminate against a driver for being too old. At most, it might be a deciding factor if it's between an older driver and a younger driver who are rather evenly matched. In order to win GT Academy, you have to be able to show that you are able to learn and adapt quickly, which becomes more and more difficult the older you become. If a 45-year-old were to demonstrate that ability, Nissan would be shooting themselves in the foot if they fixed it so he couldn't win.

As it is, there are very few older drivers participating in GT Academy anyway; out of the 88 drivers worldwide who made it to one of the four Race Camps in 2014, only four were over the age of 35, and only one was over the age of 40 (the Indian guy mentioned above).

Even if someone in their forties or so does manage to win, why shouldn't they be able to represent Nissan? There's plenty of drivers in their forties racing at Le Mans; two of them (Michael Krumm and Marc Gené) have been chosen to drive the GT-R LM Nismo.

What does "gamer" imply anyway?

Level 200 on Candy Crush. Minimum.

-

Sorry, I just had to say it.

I doubt that Nissan would want a 49 year old representing them as far as the Academy goes. That's not a very marketable age and plus it is around that age that most drivers are thinking about retirement, not starting out their career.

The problem is, at 49, your chances of winning would be very slim... simply because, if you all have the same amount of non-professional racing experience, the younger guys would have the physical edge. Stronger, tougher, faster reflexes, better eyesight, etcetera.

If you somehow managed to win at the races, I think there's a possibility Nissan would actually let you win. Because having an unknown 49 year old racer come out of the Academy would be a Cinderella story-type marketing dream.

-

We'll never know, I guess, until someone over 40 kills it in the finals. Which isn't likely, (look at how Schumacher fared on his return to formula racing at over 40...), but nice to dream about.

Last edited:
Age wouldn't stop Nissan from choosing a driver, whether they were 18 or 58. If you have the skills, you have the skills. There are pros to each as far as marketing goes.

Age wouldn't stop Nissan from choosing a driver, whether they were 18 or 58. If you have the skills, you have the skills. There are pros to each as far as marketing goes.
Honestly, I don't think 18 is low enough of an age. I think they should make the age restriction 15, the SCCA(Sports Car Club of America) age restriction and gather all of the fastest thirty two. Then get the top 16 like they do, and Nissan should put them out in a car and have the time trials. All in all, I think they should have less physical challenges, because a lot of the people eliminated had great driving talent. Let me know what you think.

Honestly, I don't think 18 is low enough of an age. I think they should make the age restriction 15, the SCCA(Sports Car Club of America) age restriction and gather all of the fastest thirty two. Then get the top 16 like they do, and Nissan should put them out in a car and have the time trials. All in all, I think they should have less physical challenges, because a lot of the people eliminated had great driving talent. Let me know what you think.

You're forgetting the prize is to race in a professional 24h race, I doubt under 18s are allowed (although I haven't checked).

I think having a less-than-optimal past could actually make people more marketable. People love stories about how people turn their lives around and become going from zero to hero.

Well, I guess my story would make a great novel. :lol: Started playing GT5 on release just racing NASCAR at Daytona with nothing more in mind than just having fun. Had a near life ending accident where I was told I probably wouldn't walk again and my speech would be slurred with stuttering the rest of my life. After countless hours of physical and speech therapy, overcame both. While in my 3 year recovery, GT5 became my escape and I began to take my game play very seriously, often practicing/playing for 12-14 hours a day. I vowed to one day become an Academy finalist. My two goals were, and still are, to make it to D1 Gold in the WRS (almost there) and to become an Academy finalist. I have also endured many operations, played in severe pain, and at one point had to play wearing an adult diaper because I busted a few stiches from an operation and I didn't want to get blood on my Playseat. Also spent many nights sleeping in my Playseat because I was just too sore to get out. There were also other minor things that I had to endure along the way, simply too many to mention. Add to all that the fact that I have zero real life racing experience and have never had one track day. All my experience and improvement comes from the game only. There are few other interesting things about my life also, but those are just the things since I started playing GT. My life has been anything but boring. :crazy: At any rate and looking back at things, I think my story is a rather interesting one to say the least. Hopefully this year, I can make my dream a reality. GT Academy 2015...A Warriors Dream Turned Reality. :cool:

Back