Do you think GT7 is a better game than GT5/6?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 163 comments
If you have to have a specific peripheral device to use an app thats a core feature of the game, its not a very well made or user friendly app.

It's like saying a car is good, but only if you drive it specifically on a straight road with no bumps because otherwise it falls apart. It's not a good car then.

They're not disputing that the app would be good in the specific scenario where its accessible and your device is suited for it, but that it's a poor choice to have it only suitable for such devices.
I did use the app, on a tablet, and I agree with @Imari and the point he's making that it should have been designed to be used in-game, not requiring an external device to run.
Yes I already said it should have been done for PC.
However, that doesn't dismiss the fact that it was good and well made if you used it on a tablet.

Last edited:
Not designed for a tiny phone screen or a PC emulator. So you really didnt get the chance to use it properly. Then you dont know by own experience if it was any good or not.
I'd say not being able to easily access the ability to use it properly makes it not good. Usability is an important feature for any app. It can be the best featured app in the world, but if it's not usable then it's worthless.

It's not my fault that Polyphony decided to make it so that a tablet was required. I did the best I could with what I had available, and it was a bad experience. Even in 2022 I'd say that easy access to an Android or iOS tablet isn't guaranteed for most people, I still don't have access to one now if I wanted it. So the idea that one should be easily available to any GT6 player in 2015 seems a bit laughable. It's a very bad design choice.
And having a 200€ tablet doesn't mean being rich. lol
Randomly being able to afford a 200 euro tablet for the sake of an additional feature of a single Playstation game does. Or it does to me, if you've got that sort of money to throw around casually then clearly you're in no danger of not being able to meet more vital financial needs.

Must be nice.
Now please stop replying now with another "I'm right you're wrong".
Lol. You mean stop discussing this topic on this discussion forum? Let me think about it.

No.
Yes I already said it should have been done for PC.
However, that doesn't dismiss the fact that it was good and well made if you used it on a tablet.
And if you didn't, like a lot of people? Was it then maybe not so good? Is the fact that it had this massive accessibility barrier maybe a bit of a mark against the quality of this thing? This was a big problem when the thing came out, I was far from the only person to run into this issue.

The goalposts just keep wandering with you. We've finally got from "it was AWESOME" to "it was good if you had specific external hardware that cost hundreds of dollars". If you don't care about money, you probably don't see the difference between those two sentences. But yeah, to some people that was the difference between a good app and one that was difficult and frustrating to use. An app that is difficult and frustrating to use is not good, and an app for a PS3 game that chooses to use a tablet over the PS3 is not well made.

Consider this - if they'd made the app on the PS3 you'd probably still be able to use it now. There would be no reason to be shunting the data through servers when the app was on the same device (probably in-game if they were smart about it). It would be a waste of money to even buy those servers, and so the server shutdown wouldn't have disabled the functionality.

You'd probably still be able to make tracks and play them, which would seriously elevate how good GT6 is as a historical Gran Turismo game. It would be worth regularly booting up GT6 just for the track creator, even if you thought the rest of the game was pure garbage. Even in 2022 there's very few games with even a passable track creator and none I can think of in the semi-sim/sim space without hand building your own modded tracks for AC and the like.

If you want to defend the decision to put the app on tablet knowing that otherwise you could still be using the track creator now, then have at it.

There’s actually more single player content now after all the updates than both GT5 and GT6, at least from an event point of view. Funny isn’t it? We wouldn’t notice because it’s been drip fed to us and we are finished with each update in under an hour each month.

My concern is Kaz will carry on the way their going instead of giving us a big update with lots of single player content.
Hmm, really? It's not just the drip feeding, but some glaring omissions. Dude, where are my Nurburgring endurance races? Where are my entry level races on interesting circuits? And so forth and so on.

I'd say not being able to easily access the ability to use it properly makes it not good. Usability is an important feature for any app. It can be the best featured app in the world, but if it's not usable then it's worthless.

It's not my fault that Polyphony decided to make it so that a tablet was required. I did the best I could with what I had available, and it was a bad experience. Even in 2022 I'd say that easy access to an Android or iOS tablet isn't guaranteed for most people, I still don't have access to one now if I wanted it. So the idea that one should be easily available to any GT6 player in 2015 seems a bit laughable. It's a very bad design choice.

Randomly being able to afford a 200 euro tablet for the sake of an additional feature of a single Playstation game does. Or it does to me, if you've got that sort of money to throw around casually then clearly you're in no danger of not being able to meet more vital financial needs.

Must be nice.

Lol. You mean stop discussing this topic on this discussion forum? Let me think about it.

No.

And if you didn't, like a lot of people? Was it then maybe not so good? Is the fact that it had this massive accessibility barrier maybe a bit of a mark against the quality of this thing? This was a big problem when the thing came out, I was far from the only person to run into this issue.

The goalposts just keep wandering with you. We've finally got from "it was AWESOME" to "it was good if you had specific external hardware that cost hundreds of dollars". If you don't care about money, you probably don't see the difference between those two sentences. But yeah, to some people that was the difference between a good app and one that was difficult and frustrating to use. An app that is difficult and frustrating to use is not good, and an app for a PS3 game that chooses to use a tablet over the PS3 is not well made.

Consider this - if they'd made the app on the PS3 you'd probably still be able to use it now. There would be no reason to be shunting the data through servers when the app was on the same device (probably in-game if they were smart about it). It would be a waste of money to even buy those servers, and so the server shutdown wouldn't have disabled the functionality.

You'd probably still be able to make tracks and play them, which would seriously elevate how good GT6 is as a historical Gran Turismo game. It would be worth regularly booting up GT6 just for the track creator, even if you thought the rest of the game was pure garbage. Even in 2022 there's very few games with even a passable track creator and none I can think of in the semi-sim/sim space without hand building your own modded tracks for AC and the like.

If you want to defend the decision to put the app on tablet knowing that otherwise you could still be using the track creator now, then have at it.
All this massive post, yet I'll just say, "I still don't agree with you"
Typical stubborn forum member who will never try to conceed something and reach some kind of middle ground (and I did)
You guys need to learn how to discuss in a friendly, civilized and educated way.
Bye

Last edited:
Hai all.
GT 7 just 2 days now… it’s look nice… but I have a question… does anyone know if the data from GT sport will be carried over to GT7…?

Hai all.
GT 7 just 2 days now… it’s look nice… but I have a question… does anyone know if the data from GT sport will be carried over to GT7…?
Some things will like your Driver Rating from Sport mode, liveries etc. But actual cars and credits won't. I believe the stuff that does carry over will just carry over (though liveries may need to be shared as Open to All).

Last edited:
K.
Typical stubborn forum member who will never try to conceed something and reach some kind of middle ground (and I did)
Lol. Was that the part where you told me my opinion didn't count because I didn't have access to a tablet?
You guys need to learn how to discuss in a friendly, civilized and educated way.
I don't know what you think those words mean, but you've got them wrong.

It is in aspects that improve with technology like physics or graphics. It falls in other areas.

The esports stuff is really taking away from solo content which has been pretty bare at launch and they trickle it out. Like 14% of players have even done one Sport mode race for the trophy. You’d think they’d cater to the bigger audience.

Last edited:
Games in the internet age do not get good one player content anymore. Too much effort in online for the minority and phone it in for the one player majority.
There's plenty of good single player games out there, but there's a distinct lack of solid single player racing games that aren't just a big sandbox. Sandboxes can be fun, but it'd be nice to have well designed curated experiences as well.

I suppose the nature of the events is quite a big part of this. It doesn't feel like many of the events in GT7 are events that are worth something, or are different to the other events in the game. I just went through and counted 17 derivatives of the Sunday Cup in the game, which means 10% of offline races are the Sunday Cup. That's quite silly.

Including similar tier events like the FF and FR challenges probably means about 20-25% of these events are made up of what you do in the first 15 minutes of any other GT game.

I don't have a problem inherently with there being lots of variety for the Sunday Cup etc. But having that many Sunday Cups and yet having no Gr.2 events is insanity, and it makes sense as to why GT7 still feels like it has such a low amount of content.
Exactly this. I guess it’s different for those of us that did big grinds to acquire cars we wanted. I‘ve long been at a stage where the events are only there for me to acquire whatever I fell like acquiring at the time. I don’t have a go to event like I did in GT4(Tuner Car Grand Prix). There’s been no event, for me, since that one, to have me return for pure enjoyment. GT7 allows me to replicate anything and I have the Credits not to really care about current PD manufactured events. That’s a bit of a lie. A really really small, itty bitty lie. The 550 PP Tsukuba race is really fun, but I haven’t run that in months.

For me, qualifying for the PD events would solve some of my issues with the events. Especially for the World Championship races. Those are for points. Regardless of AI concerns, why not add optional qualifying?

To me GT5 is a better game.
It has a proper campaign rather than a fetch quest
License tests mean something in GT5 unlike GT7
GT5 has more events to do than GT7

It's a worse game the GTS and a country mile worse the GT6 and GT5. All of them fall far short of GT2/3/4. Games in the internet age do not get good one player content anymore. Too much effort in online for the minority and phone it in for the one player majority.
The best move PD ever did was decide not to put GT4 online. What'd we get instead? Mt. Everest size of content cause they were expecting the outcry. The greatest GT ever ❤️ #2 on my all time greatest games list (Ocarina of Time is #1 of course!).

As far as where this game stands, I'd put it above GTS as its better in every way, but as far as vs GT5/6? Well GT6 was basically GT5 2.0 just like GT7 is GTS 2.0, so I'd put GT7 above GT6 just because it was a cabon copy (even the trophies were the same FFS--I just did all these :ouch: ). While GT5 had more content, I hated the driver level system and having to do two 24 hour races, IIRC and doing championship races before pit stop saves :yuck: So I'm putting GT7 ahead of 5&6; quality over quantity. I don't mind the monthly free updates. It beats having to wait another two years for them to put it in and me not playing the game ala early GT titles. For me, I just wish they'd better classify their cars, then we could have new/different 'GT' championships, putting a spin on the early ones. Also, I love that I can farm credits AFK, beats using a controller and rubber bands :lol:

Jerome

Last edited:
Disagree, it was not perfect but still great. You installed on a tablet and it worked really well. I can't imagine using that on the PS3 and using controller.
Lmao the PS3 supported mouse and keyboard

Not designed for a tiny phone screen or a PC emulator. So you really didnt get the chance to use it properly. Then you dont know by own experience if it was any good or not.
I suspect my experience with the track creator app was on a tablet much nicer than whatever one you had at the time, and even at the time I still didn't see any reason for it to be a companion app on separate hardware that you had to run through PD's servers for no reason. Even at the time people were curious about what that implementation meant for when PD shut said servers down.

And as mediocre as GT5's track generator was even at the time (though it could produce fun stuff for sure), you know what huge benefit it has over GT6's? It till works, since it wasn't bootstrapped into a companion app on expensive side equipment running through PD's servers for no reason.
Modnation racers, trackmania? Those were much simpler arcade games. This comparison makes no sense
I know we're long past expectations of you having any clue about this stuff when you try to talk about it; but no matter what ramblings you want to make about the physics engine or car count or any other nonsense qualifiers you want to attach to it, none of it has anything to do with the track creator feature.

Last edited:
Bye

Respectfully, you have been told by multiple people, myself included, in multiple ways, why we thought the app you found so good and so usable should not have been made exclusively into a tablet-only app in the first place. A discussion forum doesn't come with an obligation to agree with you, much less to concede anything or come to a middle ground. I think you aren't considering - or refuse to, I don't know for sure which it is - that a discussion can involve outright disagreement with your opinion. The discussion was civilized until you started criticizing or diminishing those who explained to you why they didn't think a track creator should be constrained to tablet.

Perhaps it is you who needs to consider that "friendly, civilized, and educated" is not synonymous with "agrees with you." Calling someone else stubborn for repeatedly explaining why they disagree or complaining about "I'm right you're wrong" posts, when you do this...

I tell you: yes it was good. Not perfect, but good. It only lacked custom elevation changes, that's about it. With very cool features like being able to draw tracks out of satellite shots of anywhere in the world.
And having a 200€ tablet doesn't mean being rich. lol
Now please stop replying with another "I'm right you're wrong" and dont try to tell me that I did not enjoy using it.

...or this...

Sure, but he admits he didnt properly use the app with a tablet so... I did and I know that the thing was good, no need for anyone to try and tell me otherwise.

... or this...

Whatever. Wrong platform if you like, but still a good tool

...is neither friendly, nor civilized, nor is your absolute assertion that the app was objectively good is anything I'd qualify as educated.

Nobody is telling you that you didn't enjoy it or that you were wrong for enjoying a track creator. It's OK - it's great even - if you found plenty of use for it and had fun with it. You're allowed to enjoy a product that is flawed or that other people think is flawed - we're on a Gran Turismo forum for crying out loud, I think many of us here are used to enjoying flawed products and enjoying what we can out of it.
But when someone explains to you what they think is a flaw, whether in a game or an application you did enjoy, please do the respectful thing and not assume it's a personal attack against you or that we just didn't use it correctly.

Last edited:
I find GT7 better overall, but I think it was a mistake to sort the campaign events by track rather than by event category. If you for example want to do the Japanese FF challenge, you pretty much have to check every Japanese track until you’ve found them all. It worked while you were doing the menus, because the compass guided you. But if you want to do the races again it’s quite hard to get an overview of what’s available and where to find them.

And of course, shuffle racing from GT5 and the course makers from both GT5 and GT6 will always be missed.

For me, qualifying for the PD events would solve some of my issues with the events. Especially for the World Championship races. Those are for points. Regardless of AI concerns, why not add optional qualifying?
Add the possibility to race any race of the various championship (books/cafè) in singolar race (no championship) with the same reward ...(as in the same GT's except GTSport)

IR

went through the whole process of downloading both 5 and 6, because i felt like i was missing driving. took the last couple months off GT7 because Sport mode was a horrible mess (no penalties and 500% damage, kept picking the same combos) and because they (in my opinion) totally ruined tuning. so even when i just felt like having a drive, i was flying blind with cars i had previously spent hours setting up.

anyway, its hard to play either of those after experiencing the glory of GT7 on PS5 with a nice TV. the physics are better, everything looks nicer, it sounds better.... no matter how much i appreciate the amount of races / the linear single player mode, its just not the same. those games are both very good in their own right, now completed, but unless i suffer an internet outage i'm unlikely to play them too much. honestly it just makes me more frustrated with GT7, because the fixes are pretty simple.

Last edited:

The New Yorker’s Best Games of 2022 List​

This year's newly launched GT7 'is one of the series' most accomplished entries, a singular celebration...'

yet, Cyberpunk2077 finally good after all updates/patches?

whatyearisit.gif

Last edited:
I have never played GT6 for a serious amount of time (never bought the game), so I’ll compare GT7 to GT5 only.

I tend to rate my games on the experience they gave me instead of the features, and by ‘experience’ I mean my feelings/sensations. If we’re talking about that only then GT5 blows GT7 out of the water. GT5 had time- and weather-cycle, which was pioneering for its time, or at least a first for the franchise. While it’s limited to very few circuits, the feature looked its part, and it gave a whole different level of immersion to the tracks. Its semi-sandbox nature allows you to play other aspects of the game if you’ve grown bored with the core, like you can do Mercedes Nurburgring challenges or do B-Spec and try to make your driver named A. Senna or H. Simpson with the temperament and patience to boot (I spent waaay more time on that than I’d like to admit :lol:). PD tried a lot of things at that time, and while some of them are lacklustre (like replicating rallying stages or the track creator, although I must admit I enjoyed the latter a lot and would love for variable-timed Toscana to return), in general they gave the game a lot more vitality and things to try.

Yes, over three-fourths of the cars are Standards, but it never really mattered to me; you have enough cars and enough variety in the Premium sections that I have a difficult time getting to experience them fully already, so it never entered my realm of attention that I’m not having sufficient cars to experience. The driver lv. requirement for purchasing cars didn’t bother me either, since I play at such a leisurely pace that whenever I wanted to buy a car, I probably would have met the lv. required already. The only valid complaint to me would be GT5’s paint chip system; there are so many colours that are in different hues given the same name, it’s immensely difficult to get a car restored to its original colours once you’ve painted it in something else, and the 2 chromes that were present in the game before the paint DLC pack arrived were so hard to come by, I won’t blame somebody who bought the game after it was taken offline for complaining about it. But those were minor inconveniences.

The best thing about GT5, though, and something that GT7 has failed to replicate thus far, is the joys of driving. In GT5 there are city tracks that you can drive small low-powered vehicles on, and you can race the cars without worrying about losing your clean race bonus. It doesn’t position itself as a very serious sim, and this contributes to the pleasant experience that I have hardly found in other racing games since. Yes, you can push yourself and be a better racing driver, but you can also have the sense of achievement just by casually driving against other AI drivers and slowly building up your garage. With GT7 you’re for most of the time worrying about if you can stockpile enough credits to buy the Legend Car before it disappears from the dealership.

GT7 is also a bit lacking in the photo-taking department to me. The scapes shots may be a lot more realistic now, and we can finally take panning shots there, but I still miss the Photo Travel feature, if only for the ability to walk around the destinations and explore a little more the places. Having everything locked behind a still and unmovable frame is kinda dull. I think GT5 also saves whether you have toggled on/off your own ghost when retrying time trials, which, if I’m not mistaken, is absent in GT7, at least with Circuit Experience. They’re small issues in the grand scheme of things though. The biggest problems are still the grinding and FOMO (which detracts from the joys that could’ve been had with the game a lot), and having your campaign progress confined to one menu book at a time. I mean, in GT5 we had the choice to go to other championships first if we find the ones before difficult.

So GT7 wins in overall improvements (physics, sounds, graphical fidelity…) and features (more rims, more customization, even better variable weather, etc…), but GT5 has it beat when it comes to the novel and complete experience, they really got me fond of cars and racing with that installment.

And cars. I miss that wide selection of cars which was the biggest highlight of the GT games for me.

Weren't loads of the cars in 5 or6 'copynpaste' jobs though - non premium, that felt similar?

There’s actually more single player content now after all the updates than both GT5 and GT6, at least from an event point of view. Funny isn’t it? We wouldn’t notice because it’s been drip fed to us and we are finished with each update in under an hour each month.

My concern is Kaz will carry on the way their going instead of giving us a big update with lots of single player content.
As for GT6, yes.

But if you take into account the amount of events and races GT5 had over it's lifetime with the seasonal events? Not even close... But you can make the argument that GT5's content was done over 3-4 years after launch... And that after the servers were closed, all those, close to 200 seasonal events, were gone.

Regardless, both GT5 and GT6 were crap Gran Turismos, as well as GT Sport which was only a niche game for the online players. I was expecting GT7 to finally be a breakthrough from all these underwhelming Gran Turismos, after so much development time and hype and trailers and "most complete Gran Turismo ever" statements, and got my hopes shattered. Imagine the most complete GT not even having car selling at launch lol, among many other things of course.

Even now, the game is still not even close to what GT4 was back in the day, 18 years ago. But yes, at the very least, it's better than GT5 and GT6, and also GT Sport, but that's not really complimenting the game that much.

As for GT6, yes.

But if you take into account the amount of events and races GT5 had over it's lifetime with the seasonal events? Not even close... But you can make the argument that GT5's content was done over 3-4 years after launch... And that after the servers were closed, all those, close to 200 seasonal events, were gone.

Regardless, both GT5 and GT6 were crap Gran Turismos, as well as GT Sport which was only a niche game for the online players. I was expecting GT7 to finally be a breakthrough from all these underwhelming Gran Turismos, after so much development time and hype and trailers and "most complete Gran Turismo ever" statements, and got my hopes shattered. Imagine the most complete GT not even having car selling at launch lol, among many other things of course.

Even now, the game is still not even close to what GT4 was back in the day, 18 years ago. But yes, at the very least, it's better than GT5 and GT6, and also GT Sport, but that's not really complimenting the game that much.
There aren't as many "career" (if you can call it that in GT7) races as there were in GT7 even now after all the updates. If you then factor in the nearly 200 seasonal events that were added to GT7 over it's life, we may never get as many races in GT7 as GT6 had. But GT6 on launch day had more races than GT7 has now. That's not counting missions, licenses, Senna events, Goodwood events, Seierra Rally events, Lunar missions etc. that GT6 had ot the equvilent Missions, Licenses and Circuit Experiences that GT7 has.

Back