Do you think GT7 is a better game than GT5/6?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 163 comments
If I am being honest I have to say 7 is better than 5 & 6. I can't act I don't have issues with those games. They are much better in terms of content but 7 is better in every way. Also the fact that my favorite cars the MR2 & TVR are now modeled at the same level as the rest of the cras is a bonus. Also I do prefer the track of 5 & 6 to 7. If they add some of the original tracks that will be great. GT7 has a lot of problems but when compared to the other two I like it better by a little bit

I just can’t front on the past games car list. The WTCC 320i, Lexus IS GT-1, Lexus “DTM”, Falcon XR8, etc.
They had a great car list but unfortunately the majority of them were standards which is my biggest problem with the games

The driving/physics are better. Graphics are better. But as a game? No, not even close.

I wasn't the biggest fan of GT6 during its life-cycle and thought it was easily the worst in the modern series (for the time)
But that game had things to do. A LOT of things to do. Career mode was very large, the car selection was incredible, the online lobbies were fun, and we also had those weekly/bi-weekly online single-player events that paid really well. The latter kept the game fresh long after one had finished the career content. Then we had the special events on top of those, so there was a lot to do in that game. Standard cars weren't great to look at, but man was it nice DRIVING them! Fantastic variety that I fear we'll never see again, all so that we can have detailed interiors that no one looks at outside of the people that love photo mode. I was quite vocal in wanting all premium cars back then, but careful what you wish for, else you might buy a game in 2022 where the average "new" car is a decade old and there's a near total lack of modern model generations.

If PD were planning to keep this structure that is in the game at this moment, and start bringing 10-day races, time-trials, etc in that pay like these do, we'd be in a much better position as far as content is concerned. But once these events are gone it's right back to grinding Sardega/Sarthe/Tokyo to be able to afford cars and especially the tuning of those cars. Unless one really likes the BoP system and running Sport mode as-is (I can't stand BoP and believe Sport would be exponentially better if we had tuner races that ran concurrently) there just isn't anything to do. So I'm 99.99% certain that once the anniversary content is gone, I'll be gone with it.

I REALLY want to love this "game", but as it currently stands I can barely even call it a game. It's the tutorial for a game we don't have, that's honestly what it feels like, imo. Hopefully a Spec II version comes along very soon and fills in the myriad content gaps, and when/if that happens it would stack up to GT5/GT6 much more favorably.

kjb
They had a great car list but unfortunately the majority of them were standards which is my biggest problem with the games
I was hoping for the interiors to be a little better than the black abyss. More like GAS interiors.
1670204403877.png

Not sure why all the bad vibe on GT6.
I would say at the end GT6 had more of everything, including build your own track. I would say though most of the content got added 2 years in.
I dislike GT6 because it was as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle. There was tons of content, and the online and seasonals were nice but the actual singleplayer was a slog of a career mode that saw you trundling through event after event, starting last and passing slow roadblock AI that would slow down to let you win. Missions and licenses were so easy they were essentially goldable first time if you'd ever touched a controller before. The whole singleplayer was a load of nothing.

GT Sport then had the exact same type of event structure and difficulty, and so whilst both have "more" to do than GT7 in the singleplayer, it's all more boring than doing one actually interesting race in any other GT. GT7 has a similar problem, but there's at least a handful of events PD decided to actually provide a decent race with.

I know GT5/6 has a lot more cars and a few more tracks, do you think overall though GT7 is a better game? I have never played GT6, only GT5 and I do think GT7 is superior in SOME ways, such as graphics and physics, however i think the way the game presents it's single player component, is a big step backwards. You could argue that they wanted to innovate and move away from the traditional GT League, I don't think it has quite beaten it.

Overall, I think GT7 is a better game with superior graphics, sound and physics, though I do think the older games were better in the single player department. I can't comment online as I don't tend to play multiplayer in any game really if it can be avoided.
GT7 is little more than a GT4 update for GT Sport where the developers created a far worse menu/UI architecture than what GT Sport had originally.

GT Sport was better than 5 & 6. SO I guess that means this update to GT Sport is also better.

I think GT7 is better than GT5 and GT6. The PS3 games might've had more cars, more "classic" tracks and good graphics for the time but it was sorely lacking in two key departments: sounds and physics. GT7 is soo much better in these two areas and the amount of customisation options combined with the livery editor makes it a complete package.

GT6 and 5 were just too ambitious. they lacked consistency as a result.

From standard cars and tracks, and the weird high resolutions for PS3 games (GT5 1280x1080) and (GT6 1440x1080), they were pushing just way too much out of the PS3, so they ran at awful framerates, had weird alpha effects problems and stuff severely cut back.

It just wasn't a polished experience. GT5 was more polished than 6 but even then it was not like it is now. GT now has a much higher quality base to build upon. A "new" modern engine from GT Sport which seems easy for PD to work with compared to PS3 days. I just hope GT7 delivers on the updates

My brain says yes, but my heart says no.

Every bit of content that GT5/GT6 and GT7 share, the latter does much better. Its pointless to debate that.

Though unfortunately, thats not enough to stop me from eventually getting bored of it. Its like eating only restuarant-quality steaks daily. Sure, a well cooked steak is delicious the first few times.Then after a few weeks the experience of tasting a steak becomes stale. Eventually you begin to hate the flavor of steak because you're longing for something different, like a burrito or the taste of chinese takeout. The quality of the steak didn't change, and if asked you'd probably say that the restuarant steak is better than the burrito or the chinese takeout on paper, but because there's no other flavors other than more steak to compare to, it begins to taste worse than a "lower quality" but more importantly: different & sufficiently good food option. Hopefully that analogy makes sense.

GT6 had enough content to support the karts and rallying for example. There were enough tracks small and busy enough for kei cars and economy cars to shine without it becoming too boring. If cornering was suddenly becoming dry to you, there was a choice of quite a few ovals (Indianapolis, Twin Ring , etc)... or SSR7. Or how about not driving at all? Tune a car and let B-Spec Bob have a go at it.

With more content you can bounce around to a different combo frequently enough that your "steak" doesn't become stale.
lt50ymvk9iq61.jpg

12324890183_306c4cdf22_z-638x359.jpg

If GT6 still had online support and better custom races, I'd probably still be playing that instead (didn't own GT5).

My brain says yes, but my heart says no.

Every bit of content that GT5/GT6 and GT7 share, the latter does much better. Its pointless to debate that.

Though unfortunately, thats not enough to stop me from eventually getting bored of it. Its like eating only restuarant-quality steaks daily. Sure, a well cooked steak is delicious the first few times.Then after a few weeks the experience of tasting a steak becomes stale. Eventually you begin to hate the flavor of steak because you're longing for something different, like a burrito or the taste of chinese takeout. The quality of the steak didn't change, and if asked you'd probably say that the restuarant steak is better than the burrito or the chinese takeout on paper, but because there's no other flavors other than more steak to compare to, it begins to taste worse than a "lower quality" but more importantly: different & sufficiently good food option. Hopefully that analogy makes sense.

GT6 had enough content to support the karts and rallying for example. There were enough tracks small and busy enough for kei cars and economy cars to shine without it becoming too boring. If cornering was suddenly becoming dry to you, there was a choice of quite a few ovals (Indianapolis, Twin Ring , etc)... or SSR7. Or how about not driving at all? Tune a car and let B-Spec Bob have a go at it.

With more content you can bounce around to a different combo frequently enough that your "steak" doesn't become stale.
View attachment 1213493
View attachment 1213494

If GT6 still had online support and better custom races, I'd probably still be playing that instead (didn't own GT5).
This is pretty much exactly how I feel comparing them. GT5 and 6 had such a wide variety of content in their events, cars and tracks that it felt endless. Meanwhile GT7 (and Sport of course) have seemed almost laser-focused on the standard competitive track racing for the most part. The graphics and physics are obviously infinitely better, but the racing is getting bland and stale.

Plus 5 and 6 had many more unique ideas. Kart Space, TGTT, SSR7, the Sierra rally, custom gauges, special aero parts for numerous vehicles, Photo Travel, track creator, seasonals, SHUFFLE MODE... the list goes on really. I would love to see those things return to GT, but it seems doubtful.

Last edited:
There aren't as many "career" (if you can call it that in GT7) races as there were in GT7 even now after all the updates. If you then factor in the nearly 200 seasonal events that were added to GT7 over it's life, we may never get as many races in GT7 as GT6 had. But GT6 on launch day had more races than GT7 has now. That's not counting missions, licenses, Senna events, Goodwood events, Seierra Rally events, Lunar missions etc. that GT6 had ot the equvilent Missions, Licenses and Circuit Experiences that GT7 has.
It's not just about pure numbers either.

GT7 events are massively lacking in imagination and variety. They have a handful of named events that they then just lazily adjust the PP number and/or region and that's it, job done. Then you have the bizarrely named "World Touring Car" races, which are anything but, and just allow any car to enter as long as the PP matches the, once again, lazy variations.

So I finally re-installed after the Watkins update, and well, it's still underwhelming at best. Months of new chase the rabbit content took a few hours at best to burn through. The 25th Anniversary events were lackluster and took all of 40 minutes to do, and that is only because I spun on the last corner of the last lap at Willow in the Escudo, requiring a second attempt.

All of the other new events since the Watkins update are still rife with the same old garbage restrictions. Where are the Euro street car events on American tracks and vice versa????

After all that, I did the World GT Championship for the 50th time on Hard in a stock GR.3 with Hard Tyres, and once I reached LeMans I turned it off out of boredom. It was straight back to the same empty "what now" feeling the singleplayer part of this game is plagued with.

If after 9 months PD aren't going to improve GT7s singleplayer significantly, I highly doubt they ever will.

But hey, at least the online aspect will continue to evolve!

So as it stands I still think as a singleplayer game, GT7 is worse than all those before it.

The Seasonals were such a hit for me. Purely optional, but something for everyone. GT7 Sport Mode seems so distant from the Seasonal model, I've got no interest to return to racing with others - and that's with havng fun during GTS. If it were like the Seasonals, I'd probably join in.

I must be in the minority, i don't like games that are too broad and unfocused, just seems like a lot of mediocrity. I prefer the focus on online racing, i just wish TC1 wasn't such a blunt instrument and the UI is absolutely appalling.

The offline racing or lack there of is the same as it was since GT1. For myself and many others enough is enough already. Really is to bad. Even without being able to create even half way decent A.I. or decent damage. There is so much that could be done with the game. Things like turn on track limits to start with for any event, time trial etc. Which actual they do really good job with in license etc. I guess what annoys me the most is the ungodly price of a lot of the vehicles. I work full time and have other interest beside the GT game. I have no interest in playing more then a few hours a week if that. The makers of this game act like it is the holy grail and that you should be happy they even made another version. I would probably pay an extra $100 to essentially have all the cars. I think in reality if you were to purchase with hard cuurency it would be over $10,000 to have all the cars. I was not going to get GT7, but for ~$40 was price of decent meal w/tip. Will be just a no thrills thing for me once in awhile when on couch and not enough time to spend with AMS2 etc. I was hoping photo mode would be better, seems for most part same to me. Except lots more back grounds to choose from, except most do not result in good photos.

I must be in the minority, i don't like games that are too broad and unfocused, just seems like a lot of mediocrity. I prefer the focus on online racing, i just wish TC1 wasn't such a blunt instrument and the UI is absolutely appalling.
I can definitely agree with you on traction control being way too heavy-handed in GT7 and always has been in the series. It feels weird running cars without TC that have it IRL, but in most cases you lose time if its on. Other console and PC sims get it right; I run TC on pretty much every car that uses it IRL in ACC, but the stronger settings in that game are about what TC1 is in GT7. We need at least three settings that are more mild than the current TC1 to get anywhere near feeling realistic.

GT7 requires an internet connection in order to play single-player mode, which makes it the worst game in the series by default. But I'll pretend that isn't the case for a moment and compare other things.

I played GT5 and GT6 on a standard-definition TV, so the difference between Standard and Premium cars wasn't very noticeable (aside from some wonky reflections on the Pontiac Sunfire). So yes, I like those two games for car count and variety. Although GT6 disappointed me by having them all visible in the dealership at once. It felt a little lazy and took away the element of surprise that I liked in previous titles. In the GT2 days, I'd visit my friend's house, and we'd each have a bunch of cars that the other had never seen before. We'd have to compare notes to figure out how to hunt them down. That was a fun experience.

But if you want to talk "quality over quantity"... I don't really count GT7's flood of Vision GTs and race variants of street cars as "quality". I don't really mind the lack of recent-year models, though, because my nostalgic self doesn't like many of them anyway.

The other big gripe I have with GT7 is the slow-to-update used car list. I miss being able to just play a few races to get a new list of cars. What is being gained from locking everyone into the same catalog?

On the positive side of things, one of my favorite things about GT7 is the extra visual customization options on all the cars. Some of those widebody kits provide pretty dramatic changes. I wonder if the variety of model-specific alterations might be one of the reasons for the slow rate of new car additions?

I feel like the racing physics have improved with each new title, which is nice. But the game experience has gone downhill. GT7 feels linear and buries me in cars that I don't really want. I'd rather get a special prize car for winning three races than a normal, purchaseable car after each race. Also, the rigged roulettes leave a bad taste in my mouth.

GT6 feels a bit sterile without a used car dealership or secrets, and incomplete with all the vacancies in that Vision Gran Turismo section, but I remember liking the UI a little better than GT5's. GT5 feels the most like a proper Gran Turismo game, but still isn't as good as 2, 3, or 4.

In terms of the question with an outright answer.

No. Definitely not, GT7 is a terrible ‘game’.

The graphics, audio, physics etc are clearly much better but the ‘game’ part of it is not.

It would take PD less than a month to fix this issue but they obviously have no interest in fixing these issues / adding content. It’s sad becuase GT7 could easily be the best GT… if only PD gave a damn.

Last edited:
The problem, the way some players see it, is that PD are fixing (player)issues…. in PD time.

Edit: speaking of which, I just logged on.

Last edited:
I know GT5/6 has a lot more cars and a few more tracks, do you think overall though GT7 is a better game?
I believe GT7 is a better game than GT5/6, yes. I find having >100 well-detailed cars objectively better than <500 cars with mixed premium and standard models ported directly from PS2. Single player in GT5 Prologue and after doesnt suppose the same challenge as GT4. Sure, AI in GT4 was nothing of a challenge like the PS3 and PS4-5 games, but at least there were driving missions, or licences that were kind of difficult to gold. This has just come back a little bit in GT7, where some licences are tricky, like the one on wet Spa. Community mode was dope in GT5 and 6, with many features that were useful for league racing or just socializing. But I think in general this has improved with, for example, being able to share a time trial hotlap or even a complete online race. Besides, theres the livery editor. PD passed from not even delivering a similar tool to a livery editor to making one of the bests in racing games IMO, after being actively requested by its community.

I also think that GT5 and GT Sport were transitional games. PD aspired to do a GT6 in the PS3 generation, and a GT7 in the PS4 generation. GT5 and GT Sport were, respectively, games for each of those eras that lacked everything that PD wanted to include. PD tends to make two games for each console generation, but Ive never known if this is their way of doing things or if it is what Sony above them demands.

I know GT5/6 has a lot more cars and a few more tracks, do you think overall though GT7 is a better game? I have never played GT6, only GT5 and I do think GT7 is superior in SOME ways, such as graphics and physics, however i think the way the game presents it's single player component, is a big step backwards. You could argue that they wanted to innovate and move away from the traditional GT League, I don't think it has quite beaten it.

Overall, I think GT7 is a better game with superior graphics, sound and physics, though I do think the older games were better in the single player department. I can't comment online as I don't tend to play multiplayer in any game really if it can be avoided.
so you conclude that although GT7 has better technics... GT6 was a better game...
I agree with you ;)

Gt7 is better than both gt5 and gt6 in my opinion, sounds have come a lomg way widebodies, exhaust that change when you upgrade them, engine swaps those are things not featured on previous gt titels. Gt5 had better career mode. Gt6 was not that much better than gt7 in terms of career mode. Liked gt5 a lot more than gt6. Gt7 is the best racing game for me since gt4. And with psvr2 around the corner its going up another level, i would struggle to go back to Those old games with that horrible engine sounds now,

So many people are enamoured by the graphics...This is why the game play suffers.

GT7 had BETTER be graphically better. It's running on two generation newer hardware. The graphical gap from GT5 to GT7, in terms of hardware, is the same gap as GT1 to GT5.

I can look past a pretty face to see the substance, and GT7 is sorely lacking. At least I willingly WANTED to play single player in earlier series and there were more reasons to do so other than credits.

I believe GT7 is a better game than GT5/6, yes. I find having >100 well-detailed cars objectively better than <500 cars with mixed premium and standard models ported directly from PS2. Single player in GT5 Prologue and after doesnt suppose the same challenge as GT4. Sure, AI in GT4 was nothing of a challenge like the PS3 and PS4-5 games, but at least there were driving missions, or licences that were kind of difficult to gold. This has just come back a little bit in GT7, where some licences are tricky, like the one on wet Spa. Community mode was dope in GT5 and 6, with many features that were useful for league racing or just socializing. But I think in general this has improved with, for example, being able to share a time trial hotlap or even a complete online race. Besides, theres the livery editor. PD passed from not even delivering a similar tool to a livery editor to making one of the bests in racing games IMO, after being actively requested by its community.

I also think that GT5 and GT Sport were transitional games. PD aspired to do a GT6 in the PS3 generation, and a GT7 in the PS4 generation. GT5 and GT Sport were, respectively, games for each of those eras that lacked everything that PD wanted to include. PD tends to make two games for each console generation, but Ive never known if this is their way of doing things or if it is what Sony above them demands.

Setting aside the fact I disagree on principle that GT7 having better graphics makes it a better game (Voodoovaj has already said what I wanted to say), I don't really think qualifying a particular game as "transitional" is terribly helpful. Whether or not they are doesn't really matter because once a game is released and available for people to buy, it is only fair to judge it based on what is there.

Last edited:
I just recently bought GT7 and didn’t spend that much time with it so far, only completing the first 10 menus or so. And I like those menu missions, getting some history lessons is very enjoyable.

But after seeing this thread I was reminded of how much time I spent with GT5 and how much fun I’ve had with the game (and whenever a GT5 song plays in GT7 I get instant chills and my eyes swell up a bit, damn nostalgia hits me hard nowadays). And what I miss the most about GT5 were the special "missions" in the bottom left of the main menu. The tour through the Alps and Italy for example (the correct name escapes me atm, sorry), where you get to drive some beautiful Italian cars and through beautiful landscapes is still one of my favourite gaming memories, and I’ve been playing since the late 90's. Just the presentation alone, seeing your car drive through a nearby city, or having your new car being delivered by truck…man those mission were just special.

These are what I miss the most about older GTs. Maybe something like this will be in GT7 as well when I get to play it longer, we’ll see.

Back