Do you think GT7 is a better game than GT5/6?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 163 comments
I will always remember GT5 fondly as that's when I first got heavily involved in online racing and there was a nice group of us that raced weekly. That kind of got lost in GT6, Sport and 7 as people raced online in their respective DR rankings instead. And that always feels too anonymous to me. It's much better to race against regular people that you kind of know and have a history with.
That's one of the nice touches in GT7 with the same sets of AI drivers used in different races.
Also, the quality of the game in GT7 is far better and the ability to do custom races will keep me playing for ages. Especially, now as I have most of the interesting cars that I want and chasing credits is getting less important.

Last edited:
Where we grind for credits in GT7, we grind for experience points in GT5.

GT5 has GT7 beat on events easily, B-Spec shenanigans, shuffle racing online, and the golden chalice called the Login Bonus and seasonal events.

Honestly if GT7 had way more events, it would beat out GT5 for me. It's not even the credit grind at this point for me, credits being easy to get was really a GT5/GT6 thing. It's just the lack of events to accumulate credits is what holds GT7 back for me.

Where we grind for credits in GT7, we grind for experience points in GT5.

GT5 has GT7 beat on events easily, B-Spec shenanigans, shuffle racing online, and the golden chalice called the Login Bonus and seasonal events.
In GT5, and earlier, there were hidden cars. You had to win events to get them and it was random, so, if you wanted a car, you had to keep playing. Not the best motivator, but still better than just getting credits. At the very least, you had something to show for the effort.

And I liked B Spec. There was a tamagotchi aspect to the it.

In GT7, there's no prestige in ownership anymore. Having a rare car isn't a sign of skill or dedication. Who's to say whether someone grinded to get the credits for a 917, or just put up the cash to buy it? Don't get me wrong, if it were a reasonable sum, I could respect the purchase, but it isn't, so I don't.

And, the flaw that has existed since GT5 still exists, and that is, WHAT DO I DO WITH THESE CARS? Maybe there could be a classic Le Mans daily race or something, but if there is, I can just rent one. Why buy it?

I get it...the GT5 hack made a mess of it, but now that the game is fully online, there's no need to worry about these hacks.

And in GT5/6 lobbies were everything. You could log on pretty much any time of day and find a good race somewhere.

I think the "meeting places" were intended to be the foundation for multiplayer in the single player space, but it's currently a pointless waste of a feature.

Sport Mode is still the only worthwhile aspect of the game, and it's debateable whether it's better or worse than GTS

I dont Think sport mode is the only good aspects of gt7, i think there is other fun stuff it offers. With vr around the corner just 13 days away its going next level, my dream was to be able to drive with friends with vr in lobbies and that is now confirmed that it will work, the only thing they would need to do to make the best gt7 the best racing game in series would be to put gt4 career mode In my opinion. Its still to me the best gran turismo game since gt4, the only thing lacking for me is some of career mode, and an easier way to obtain special parts and engine swaps

Last edited:
People who say 7 is the biggest disappointment clearly did not buy GT5 day 1. The hype for GT5 was larger than any other granturismo game and was coming off a long wait and the release of GT4 / Prologue whrre PD had done no wrong . Vanilla GT5 was **** , Standard cars couldn't even have their wheels swapped. Im retrospect the social aspect of that game saved it , being able to play online and share cars made the game palpable.

6 was better but lacked events and ditched alot of good features and content from 5 for no reason .

I'm currently playing GT5 on PS3 besides GT7 on PS5.
I think what's lacking on 7 is seasonal events and special events.
The Nascar one on GT5 is by far the best event (IMO) PD had given to us.
I'm french, had never seen any Nascar race, always thought it was "cars turning round and round" but GT5 showed me all the technical and strategic aspects of the sport. And I think that was the clear intent of PD.
GT7 with Cafe mode is clearly inclined toward car culture and not racing culture, and it's clearly a mistake given the car roster in the game.

If GT6 started will all the content that it ended with, would if been better then GT5.

My copies of GT4, GT5, GT6 went in the trash recently. No use since no longer have PS3.

Last edited:
For me gt7 for the driving and gt5 for the features sorry but the trade feature will always be the greatest feature ever in gt. (imho) :bowdown:

I bought gt6 digital back in 2014 but I didn't play more then 1 hour before deleting it and have never re download it again so I don't remember much about gt6.

Last edited:
You did what?
Maybe should have kept boxes or at least box sleeves at memorabilia - oh well.

Did buy GT7 even when told myself over and over not to a few months ago. Figured might as well for a price of a decent meal at restraunt. Have not really enjoyed anything about it as of yet. Except maybe a few photos of Boss 429. Anyways nothing more then couch game with game pad. PS4 and GT7 will both be the last for me.....Will never plan on getting another playstation console.

Really just enjoying PC2 on gaming laptop with Monza wheel. Also like AMS2, however PC2 for content is still better.

Last edited:
In short no, it's not.

The longer answer is simply that GT5 is more enjoyable as a complete game than GT7 which, a year on from launch, still feels like it's missing most of the game. GT5 felt like a more coherent experience, even with it's shortfalls. GT6 is the same but to a lesser degree as it didn't manage to hit the highs of GT5 for me, but it's still way ahead of 7 as a game.

For me personally as long as GT7 is missing full length endurance racing (24 hrs Le Mans, 24 hrs Nurburgring, 4 hrs Nurburgring, 1000km Suzuka, 200 Miles Laguna Seca, not to mention the complete lack of Grand Valley for the 300km there) it will always be worse than GT5 was.

idc about how good multiplayer is, how fun cafe menus can be, car collecting, it's all icing on the cake that is settling down for a grind of an endurance race.

As soon as GT7 implements true endurance racing (not sped up day night cycle in one hour like Spa) it'll be a better game than GT5

after more time, 7, while better technicallty, is still a worse game. I am holding out hope 8 comes soon(for the 6) and is a similar upgrade to 3 that 4 was, even though I think 3 was a better balacned game at the time comparatively.

"Better game" is subjective. What is sure is that GT5/GT6 were clearly more arcade-ish games.
People then need to choose between more arcade and more realistic sim. I've always thought that a huge franchise like Gran Turismo should bet for a dual physics system: BOTH arcade and realistic, to please everyone. I know it's not easy but i'm very confident it would become a massive success.

Last edited:
"Better game" is subjective. What is sure is that GT5/GT6 were clearly more arcade-ish games.
People then need to choose between more arcade and more realistic sim. I've always thought that a huge franchise like Gran Turismo should bet for a dual physics system: BOTH arcade and realistic, to please everyone. I know it's not easy but i'm very confident it would become a massive success.

Not really. GT can still lean on the sim side, personally even more than current but simply needs more content, aka more game. It can be all the sim or arcade it wants but if there is no content to play, it's not much of a game.

Yes and no, GT5 and 6 were pretty good sims for thier day, far from the best (as always with Gran Turismo) but they were not arcade racers. That point aside, how realistic the physics are/feel is just one aspect of a game, a game with more realistic physis can be a rubbish game compared to an out and out arcade racer IMO. It depends on a multitude of factors.

For me, GT7 let's itself down hugely in the gameplay factors, the graphics, physics and car customisation are all great, best in the series and very good beyond Gran Turismo. However, the singke player career (or lack of) and lack of clear gameplay structure, the unyeilding in game economy and grind, the real time uppdates for the UCD and LCD and the reliance on blind luck to obtain certain things in the game absolutely kill it for me.

GT2, GT4 and GT6 have al been played more recently than GT7 has in my house. GT7 hasn't been switched on this calendar year, it's just not fun for me. The other games were fun, to varying degrees. None were perfect, GT4 being the closest to that, but none of them locked me into a mindless repetetive grind beyond repating one event a couple of times in a row for a different prize car or to make a quick purchase. None of them locked content out for months on end beucase of a real time delaership rotation and none of them locked content behind blind luck either.

As good as GT7 could be, it's a huge dissapointment for me depsite having more realistic physics.

For me GT7 is far better than GT5 and GT6. This were my first GT games so I have fond memories from them.
I know a lot of people are using Career mode and events as argument that GT7 isn't better, but for me driving physics, how the game works on PS5 and very well done custom race mode were I can create my own race series is far more important. I always wanted those features in GT game and they finally arrived for GT7, and with VR support on the horizon I think it will become a benchmark for me for the future racing games.
Yes I would love to have even better campaing etc. But I am still having a blast with GT7 I love it.

For me GT7 is far better than GT5 and GT6. This were my first GT games so I have fond memories from them.
I know a lot of people are using Career mode and events as argument that GT7 isn't better, but for me driving physics, how the game works on PS5 and very well done custom race mode were I can create my own race series is far more important. I always wanted those features in GT game and they finally arrived for GT7, and with VR support on the horizon I think it will become a benchmark for me for the future racing games.
Yes I would love to have even better campaing etc. But I am still having a blast with GT7 I love it.
I agree while gt7 is not perfect its better overall than both gt5 and gt6, psvr2 will be a gamechanger for the experince i love the feature in custom races where you can choise any car you like for the ai, all gt7 needs to do in my opinion is to make more career mode with championchips more high paying races, faster ai, make it easier to obtain engine swaps and s parts to make it almost a perfect game

psvr2 will be a gamechanger for the experince
My question would be what percentage of the player base are actually going to use this feature. My guess is it will be less than 5%, it won't interest the majority of players, others get motion sick from them and a lot of others simply won't be able to afford it.
Why build your game around a feature such a small number will use.

I've yet to get the fun and enjoyment out of GT7 that I did from my previous favourite, which was .... GT Sport.
I really enjoyed GT4, GT5 & GT6 - but it was GT Sport where I really enjoyed Sport mode and the livery editor. Before this, I rarely enjoyed online racing and found racing against dumb AI quite an enjoyable pastime.

With GT Sport, I loved creating liveries, and thoroughly enjoyed sport mode, particularly the FIA events. With GT7, I've found a way to retrieve my GTS liveries from my old account and access them on my new account. But, I find that sport mode isn't as enjoyable as in GTS. I regularly get disconnected from GTWS events, on the same PS4 Pro I used for FIA events in GTS.

• The AI in offline racing is just bad - how can it have passed extensive testing if it pit manoeuvres the player into the wall?
  • How can there be so few events - I like events of around 30 mins with a reasonable payout.
  • Why are things locked behind daily marathon tickets, which usually give the lowest prize?
  • The lack of creativity in the events

Well, the livery editor has slightly more features, but shouldn't it have developed a bit further?

How hard would it be to improve the game?*
  • The most frustrating thing is that in some events the AI does avoid hitting the player.
  • Surely adding another 100 events wouldn't be that difficult - test them in sport mode, refine them, and add to the single-player mode. Or find the most replayed custom race events, and add these.
  • Daily ticket prizes could be adjusted, surely changing the options to smaller prizes, and improving the actual reward given would make this a pleasure to win? Making winning locked prizes a little more common would also help.
  • Lack of creativity, well - spend a day reviewing the huge number of ideas that the community has already posted on GTP.

If this is too much, they could always ask me to lead a team to develop and refine the existing software into GT7 v2.0!

GT7 should be the best and most enjoyable version of Gran Turismo. I think it is the best looking and has the most opportunity to be the communities favourite GT game. But, it fails to deliver smiles, fun or excitement.

* I absolutely accept that I am at the ignorance end of the Dunning-Kruger effect

Im 39 years old im playing since 1998 and i can tell that the gt7
is not my favourite but Yes is way better from every other gt game..
If you think that this is the first "full" vr game and not just a mod..
Its one of the biggest steps to next gen gaming..

My question would be what percentage of the player base are actually going to use this feature. My guess is it will be less than 5%, it won't interest the majority of players, others get motion sick from them and a lot of others simply won't be able to afford it.
Why build your game around a feature such a small number will use.

Their wont proably be large playerbase with vr yet, but if you never tried you wont know what you are missions out on, it will do amazing things with the game experince, i never had any issue with motion sickness, vr however takes time to get used to, this is an important feature for the future, i am sure a lot of work has gone with proper integration with vr for gt7, and they might be easier for them to focus on other things later on and for next game vr will proably not require as much work

Last edited:
Yes, but purely because of custom race . For me this has single handedly saved the game, otherwise GT7 and it's lacklustre campaign would have probably made it my last GT.

gt7 the best driving physics ever, gt sport the revolution we expected with the best menu ever, disagree with almost all the comments here

Have you tried literally any racing sim before, or...?

Im 39 years old im playing since 1998 and i can tell that the gt7
is not my favourite but Yes is way better from every other gt game..
If you think that this is the first "full" vr game and not just a mod..
Its one of the biggest steps to next gen gaming..

Yay, now I can experience lackluster content in VR. Thrilling.

image.png

Please tell me you're not seriously arguing that the reason GT7 is better than every other entry is VR support. As if "next-gen" ever meant anything. A VR headset doesn't make the content any better or more varied.

You thinking that GT5 and GT6 were clearly more arcade-ish games is also very subjective, and perhaps forgetting the part where Sport came out between 6 and 7. It's absolutely fair to say 7 benefitted from what had been done before with Sport. Whether these benefits made it a better game... well, that's indeed still subjective. There have been enough arguments before my post to explain why that's not necessarily true.

The choice of "more arcade" and "more realistic" has been attempted before, by GT, no less. Back in the yonder days of Gran Turismo - the original one - every vehicle in Arcade mode performed far better than they did in Simulation mode so people who wanted to simply get in and race could do so without waiting. Yes, yes, I know, GT1 physics aren't as advanced as they are now, but the concept can be done without going as far as a dual physics system.

Today, the least mind-breakingly expensive way to do this is to have one, single physics system that is realistic on which progressive layers of assists and aids can be implemented... Well, that both makes more sense and is kind of what we already have.

But mostly, and most importantly, GT doesn't have to, and I'd argue, shouldn't try to please everyone. You can certainly find many things to comment on or criticize regarding the direction Gran Turismo is taking, but being a racing game that tries to be everything for everyone would honestly make things worse. Even if we could have two distinct perfect driving and physics systems, it assumes "arcade" and "realistic" aren't extremely subjective notions in the first place. It just isn't fair or anywhere close to realistic to expect that's what GT needs first and foremost.

We could, I don't know... start with more content?

Last edited:
I think in vr you dont need much more content to have a blast, its more about the car and track and really experince it completly different way, my biggest dream was to be able to use vr online with friends and that is really going to be mindblowing in my opinion, this is going to kick a lot of life into gt7, it already beat gt5 and gt6 in my opinion even before vr support, with vr it pulles way a head of previous games in my opinion

Last edited:
I think in vr you dont need much more content to have a blast, its more about the car and track and really experince it completly different way, my biggest dream was to be able to use vr online with friends and that is really going to be mindblowing in my opinion, this is going to kick a lot of life into gt7, it already beat gt5 and gt6 in my opinion even before vr support, with vr it pulles way a head of previous games in my opinion

If that's how you have fun, by all means, that is good. I'm not criticizing that. Just remember that not everyone has the same experience and playstyle, and some players might want more things to do instead of different ways of experiencing the same things, no matter how cool these new ways might be. For those who want more things to do, the novelty of VR will wear off fast.

Last edited:
Back