Do you think PD is biased towards Japanese cars?

Hey, I like the Cien.
It's got a "GT by Citroen" charm to it. Angular. Sharp.
Besides, it's a Standard car, it's automatically going to partially look like 🤬 just because of that...

Biased?
Maybe a bit, but so what?
Given we're playing a game designed by a Japanese outfit, it's to be expected that (especially in volume - at something like 60%) there's going to be a bit of favoritism.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up in a household fed and clothed and sheltered thanks to General Motors and my Dad's thirty years of service there. As such, I'm partial to their vehicles, and the selection is sub-par if you ask me, because the game is dominated by Japanese vehicles.

At least we have hundreds of non-Japanese cars.

In the end, it doesn't matter, because it's just fun to drive and enjoy the GT5 experience, regardless where the car you're driving/racing was made!

Peace...

I don't mind it. It's always been like that. I mainly go for the Euro's and Japanese cars anyway, not too interested in American cars TBH. I guess it works for some, but not for others.

Hey, I like the Cien.
It's got a "GT by Citroen" charm to it. Angular. Sharp.
Besides, it's a Standard car, it's automatically going to partially look like 🤬 just because of that...

Biased?
Maybe a bit, but so what?
Given we're playing a game designed by a Japanese outfit, it's to be expected that (especially in volume - at something like 60%) there's going to be a bit of favoritism.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up in a household fed and clothed and sheltered thanks to General Motors and my Dad's thirty years of service there. As such, I'm partial to their vehicles, and the selection is sub-par if you ask me, because the game is dominated by Japanese vehicles.

At least we have hundreds of non-Japanese cars.

In the end, it doesn't matter, because it's just fun to drive and enjoy the GT5 experience, regardless where the car you're driving/racing was made!

Peace...

I respect this! 👍

Yes PD are Biased to japanese cars , but Turn10 is Biased towards american cars too. Every racing car developer is biased towards the cars of their country.

Close in what way? Subaru beat the Nurburgring lap time set by the CTS-V.
Not a stock, production car.

From Car and Driver:
"The stickler is that the Subaru in question wasn’t a production car. It was, in the words of the company, a 2011 Impreza WRX STI prototype. The car is basically the bastard child of two JDM-only models with some extra bespoke aero bits thrown in for slipperiness and high-speed stability."

In any event, the Panamera went faster than the CTS-V too, and it's only a matter of time before something goes faster than that. Ring times for consumer cars are silly. I doubt many people cross shop a CTS and an Impreza.

To the OP, yes their obviously biased with regard to the car list, but I've not seen much evidence that non-Japanese cars perform worse than they should.

kingsakery
duh the same procedure as every gt game ??
Pd is japanese => more biased in numbers to the "home-cars"

but performance whise ?? Nope
fatty benzes handle like crap compared to a skyline. Most of the american cars are heavy and don´t want to take corners fast; the ones who actually do corner (corvette, s7, gt) are good compared to the real counterparts.

And another thing: If a car is not in gt5 it is not pd´s fault. They just don´t have the license/time/real car/model car etc to implement in gt5.
Legend: / = and or or

+1

Ecchi-BANZAII!!
Had to google that one up.
That is one darn UGLY car... The CTS-V that is.
Cadillac can't make good looking cars.
The Cadillac Concept car is a four wheel pile of dog poo.
Horrible to look at.

Your effing kidding me right?? That cadillac concept is absolutely wonderful, its a great modernist design by Cadillac, which should have been made into a real supercar.

The odd thing is, the Ford GT is one of, if not Kaz's favorite cars and apaprently he has two of them. I read this in an article about his personal car collection a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still the case... but still.

Isn't it possible Japanese cars are actually quite good? Isn't it common knowledge American cars weren't as sophisticated (they are catching up quickly in recent years) as their European and Japanese counterparts for decades?
So no, I don't believe they are biased, they did put Japanese cars in the spotlights whereas before GT, Japanese cars were almost nowhere to be seen in videogames (and thus not being experienced and comparable with European and American cars) or even much appreciated within Western car culture itself, at least not in a game this succesful.

Even when they were to be biased in earier games (which I doubt) they simply can't afford to be biased now with all the licenses and relationships (and the opportunities they offer) of non-Japanese brands at stake.
Yep they did some development work for Nissan with the GT-R, they also jointly developed a concept car with Citroën.

They for example spend an enormous amount of time and resources creating the NASCAR vehicles in GT5 (if you think they're a simple copy and paste job think again, maybe the outside but each NASCAR has a unique interior, not just between the brands but even between cars of the same brand), so why would they spoil all that by deliberately making the Toyota NASCAR cars handle much better than the American ones if that isn't the case in real life?

They might accidentally not get it spot on or fully accurate, that's different from being deliberately biased as that would have consequences.
Gran Turismo/PD is an internationally recognised and respected brand based in Japan, selling the most copies in Europe.
If you want to believe some conspiracy they're a lobby group initiated by the Japanese car industry to promote their products you're ofcourse free to do so.
Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to create an artificial difference, neither for their reputation or their business.

if anything the bias shows up in the Enzo and 599 alot more than the American cars... those two have the understeer plow of a large U-haul moving van in the game.. when the Enzo in particular is supposed to be very sharp and fast.. the Viper is a little more sluggish and alot more civil than it should be but thats the only area i notice it with the American cars.. the massive amount of japanese cars is to be expected because of course the japanese makers are going to kiss PDs ass to get them in there..

I'm confident that there's no parameter in the physics engine which denotes the country of origin for a car.

IF VEHICLE X /= JAPANESE THEN REDUCE GRIP 10%...

Yeah, right.

I don't think more Japanese cars being in the game compared to the American and European ones is a reflection bias, it's more of mere convenience. Japanese car game made in Japan? Of course it's going to have the home team represented more.

As for performances of these cars, yeah there is some bias (cough Nissan cough).

In real life a GT-R is an incredible car, much like the ZR-1 Corvette.

In the game, i found faster times from the ZR-1 at the top gear test track, in the region of 0.5 seconds. I don't think Japanese cars are overly biased.

Your effing kidding me right?? That cadillac concept is absolutely wonderful, its a great modernist design by Cadillac, which should have been made into a real supercar.

Cadillac is the most uncreative car manufacturer in style behind Porsche. Atleast the Porsche is bearable to look at.

In the case of performance cars, the best of the breed worldwide, there are huge holes in the GT5 lineup. The Caddy CTS-V is one of them. Read car reviews. It is fantastic. We don't need "concept" Caddies in the game when there are real ones that are great!
It is also a regular production car, not rare, and is the daily driver of GM tuner Hennessey at 700 hp. Runs the ring pretty good too. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q1/hennessey_cadillac_cts-v_v700-specialty_file
Read where he'll make a 1000 hp version for just $130,000. Sick.

Hell Yeah! Half the GT5 cars are Japaneseanese!

If for nothing else, it helps create all the JDM cruises online. My favorite is how spiteful they are. For instance, a 97 civic hatch is a premium car, but the BMW anything is standard.

I own a handful of Japanese cars in the game. Some, because I like them, and some out of having to. I mean, I love the NSX, but do you have to do every year? Why not a standard, a type r and the race cars???

They put the Ferrari f1 cars in but no Renault? What about Sauber BMW, or McLaren Mercedes? Big flaws IMHO.

Licensing: F1's Vid game rights belong to codemasters, and I imagine getting the Fezzas were pretty hard to include

Hell Yeah! Half the GT5 cars are Japaneseanese!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. It will also be easier for PD to get their hands on Japanese cars, not to mention performance data.

I was gonna say just this. :)

But yeah, weren't old muscle cars capable of 200+ mph? I mean they're huge hulks with mountains of horsepower. Yet most of these only top out around 130... That's always kinda bothered me.

I don't think it's a matter of performance, but the dearth of American cars. The choices could really stand some scrutiny. For instance, that ridiculous '71 Mustang instead of a Boss 429 or 302. They could have modeled 1 car there and with minor changes had 3 or 4. How about the new Chargers or Mustangs? How about the Impala, Monte Carlo, or even the El Camino? Thunderchicken anyone? Dodge Magnum, an old Coronet... The list goes on and on.

If they can have vintage racers, why no vintage NASCAR?

Meanwhile, I have just bought my 150th Skyline...

I was gonna say just this. :)

But yeah, weren't old muscle cars capable of 200+ mph? I mean they're huge hulks with mountains of horsepower. Yet most of these only top out around 130... That's always kinda bothered me.

Muscle cars were geared up for the dragstrip by default. You can see the short gears in this video:

That being said, more Japanese cars in GT5 sound better.

I'm inclined to blame Sony for the bias. Remember, Sony owns GT and is using it to show off. It's a numbers game... Sony probably wanted them to have more cars so they could one-up Microsoft. So, instead of taking the time to license and model a good selection of cars from around the world, like they did with GT2, they grab whatever cars they can in the shortest amount of time. Since Japanese cars are the most accessible to them, guess what we see a lot of?

Do you think PD is biased towards Japanese cars?
Hehe, does a bear s**t in the woods? :D Of course they are, but if a British company made a game of GT5's
magnitude I'd expect it to be biased towards British cars, so PD's approach doesn't bother me

Same old choice, buy it or not :)

Hehe, does a bear s**t in the woods? :D Of course they are, but if a British company made a game of GT5's
magnitude I'd expect it to be biased towards British cars, so PD's approach doesn't bother me

Same old choice, buy it or not :)

What nationality is Turn 10? The guys who made Forza? Aren't they American?

I don't own the game but I've never heard of any major bias toward any particular country in terms of vehicles.

I'm not starting (yet another) GT5 Forza argument. I'm just saying that other companies have operated without an obvious bias like that... There are plenty of American cars and tons of European cars that GT5 would be much better off for having.

I know the reason is that it's probably tons easier for them to get their hands on Japanese cars. But come on, Sony and PD ain't broke, if they want their game too be the best, they need to hook us up with some more rides. :)

Was thinking of this thread when i was in a race with my 599 (testing sport soft tires... i take back what i said the 599s handling with these tires woke right up)... there was the usual spec V GTR hotshotting thru the pack.. and i was stuck behind a 458.. the GTR gets to me in the last chicane on the nurburgring GP track and dives on my inside wayyyyyy tooo hot... then the 599s tail rotated just the way i wanted it... to carry more speed into the corner... and accidentally gave the GT-R a minor love tap... he was already a bit out of control but the 599s hit screwed him.. he immediately shot off into the grass... came back onto the track... spun... then i saw later in the replay the BTR that was lagging behind the pack hit him... wrecking that car.. it was pretty funny to watch.. i was like "italy 1, japan 0" hahahaha

Last edited:
Back