Do You Think PD Made VR Uncompetitive On Purpose?

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 74 comments

Pigems

Premium
Canada
Canada
TT_Pigems
As the title states, do you think PD purposely made the VR experience uncompetitive for proper racing on purpose? Why else would we not have access to vital race info mid race, like every other driving view gets? It makes the headset almost useless in proper competitive races, since you are basically driving blind. I have a feeling it was done on purpose, to avoid creating an expensive meta setup, or at least to avoid the impression of that being the case. Why else in the world would we not have full race info, whilst “in a race”? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I’ve been using PSVR2 since day 1. I mostly do Sport mode races and the World Series races. It is annoying that we don’t have the same info as flat screen racing. It used to drive me crazy. However, I don’t care anymore because I’m not going back. I choose my strategy, drive my best, and see what happens. I’ve realized there would be very few races where the information would’ve made any difference.

Man..if true, that would be so ironic. Personally, i waited for vr because the lack of situational awareness racing online flat drove me nuts. I actually switched to playstation because of vr support, bought fanatec because vr support. Only play gt7 because pf vr support.

It wouldn’t be surprising though, ive often wondered (given the dd pro thread on fanatecs boards) if pd sandbagged the sdk for wheels which led to the inception of Logitech’s True and Fana’s Full Force techs.

Its going to be very interesting when ian bell’s game, and acc2 release. If they do well with vr and wheel ffb support then we may see an exodus on the scale of EQ -> WoW

The whole thing is so boggling.

When the VR released last year and we noticed the lack of race hud info in vr mode, I figured PD must be working towards implementing some sort of race engineer/spotter with audio cues, something that I think would be appreciated by all players and even seen as an accessibility feature. Of course a year later no sign of progress on that front, and meanwhile no change to the race hud in VR. I am new to GT, PD, and Sony so must have been my naiveté to expect such things. Then again I also find myself wondering why hood/roof cam doesnt get a rear view mirror.

Nah, doubt it's deliberate, just odd decision making.

For my part, I'm still more competitive with it on than off. :D
Pace wise, I don’t seem to have lost any pace to the screen. But if you can’t see the felt times, leaderboard, track map, tire changes in the pits of other drivers, you are at such an informational disadvantage in a competitive race, that it’s not even worth wasting the time to do the race in VR. You’re literally driving blind, informationally.

I think the most probable is that Kaz feels that VR makes sense to enjoy driving as an immersive experience, close to real, not so much racing but cruising, and this is why they left the hud to a minimum.
Having the option to race without info is one thing, but not allowing the people who want the info, to have it, is beyond me. I get that most people want realism, but in competitive races, people want every last bit of info/advantage they can get. Especially in the upper A+ range, where a single .1 can mean a win or loss some races.

If the top drivers wanted realism, the ABS glitch wouldn’t have gotten exploited like it did, or the shifter tricks, or the double shifting. Non competitive players want realism, top drivers just want to win, and don’t care about realism.

Last edited:
Pace wise, I don’t seem to have lost any pace to the screen. But if you can’t see the felt times, leaderboard, track map, tire changes in the pits of other drivers, you are at such an informational disadvantage in a competitive race, that it’s not even worth wasting the time to do the race in VR. You’re literally driving blind, informationally.
I reached DR A using VR, it's not so bad, but it's true that it makes more difficult to use advanced strategies like undercutting. But I don't mind not knowing the time from the car ahead or behind, it made me anxious.

I'm gonna play the Realism card. In real life, you would see absolutely nothing aside from what's in the cockpit's displays, and what you could hear in the radio.

PD probably decided to ante up and provide the ultimate immersion. The Real Driving Simulator :D
IRL every other driver on track isn’t racing with a ton of information that you don’t have though, they don’t have it either. In GT, all the other drivers have that info, except the VR drivers.

Having the option to race without info is one thing, but not allowing the people who want the info, to have it, is beyond me. I get that most people want realism, but in competitive races, people want every last bit of info/advantage they can get. Especially in the upper A+ range, where a single .1 can mean a win or loss some races.

If the top drivers wanted realism, the ABS glitch wouldn’t have gotten exploited like it did, or the shifter tricks, or the double shifting. Non competitive players want realism, top drivers just want to win, and don’t care about realism.
This is absolutely true!

I don't disagree. I just happen to be a bit crap in pancake mode now.

I'm gonna play the Realism card. In real life, you would see absolutely nothing aside from what's in the cockpit's displays, and what you could hear in the radio.

PD probably decided to ante up and provide the ultimate immersion. The Real Driving Simulator :D
Irl would’t there be at least be one sign around a track denoting lap count. Maybe even a leaderboard. Some npc near pit lane, or wherever, holding up a sign, or a leaderboard giving lap count and top whatever racers would do go a long way.

Heck, i think a lot of people would like a pit lane ricky with a little signage 🤷‍♂️

You might not have visual info that a game offers, but in real life modern racing you would have still have somebody giving you info over the radio, instead of driving around blindly.

Last edited:
Irl would’t there be at least be one sign around a track denoting lap count. Maybe even a leaderboard. Some npc near pit lane, or wherever, holding up a sign, or a leaderboard giving lap count
No, this is only something Americans and some tracks elsewhere do.

That's why in F1 you're told about positions and laps remaining via radio.

I think they didn't develop it considering people would use it to play sport mode. They probably thought this was going to be used in music rally or some sht like that. They were wrong and it has taken them a long time to address the most basic of things.

Mostly repeating from the other thread;

I have pretty much the same information available to me in GT7 as in the real race car. Lap time information may be a bit more detailed in the real car vs the MFD timing display in GT7, but that's it. Though, not having the driver list with pit activity, lap time information, and realtime gap to leader and other drivers can be a disadvantage in longer races where wear and pit strategy come into play. It's still no different for me in real life as I don't have a radio so others do have information I do not. It's never been a disadvantage to me, however.

If they ever do implement additions to the hud, I hope it can be toggled. I am surely in the minority, but I like it as is. It's about as real as it gets in that regard.

Last edited:
i’d be satisfied with some way to be informed what lap im on, during the longer races of course, as video game time isn’t usually my most sober moments of the day. ^^

I'm confused. Isn't that already shown? See the screen below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_192808_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_192808_YouTube.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
I think PD have gone with majority of players in general do not play Sport Mode. The amount of information available is good enough for races in World Tour.
It’s the same way they think majority of franchise players will be okay having to do licence tests for the sake of giving new players that same experience.

I think PD have gone with majority of players in general do not play Sport Mode. The amount of information available is good enough for races in World Tour.
It’s the same way they think majority of franchise players will be okay having to do licence tests for the sake of giving new players that same experience.
While I do get that thought process, in one sense. Think of the type of person that’s going to buy a VR headset, that costs more than the console itself, they are likely not the “average/casual” player, they likely already have a wheel, and likely a rig. So IMO, the GT player who’s gone out to get a VR headset, isn’t average Joe offline, he’s much more likely to be the hardcore GT player, that wants to also race competitively with VR, and would want all of that information. IMO anyways.

Last edited:
Irl would’t there be at least be one sign around a track denoting lap count. Maybe even a leaderboard. Some npc near pit lane, or wherever, holding up a sign, or a leaderboard giving lap count and top whatever racers would do go a long way.

Heck, i think a lot of people would like a pit lane ricky with a little signage 🤷‍♂️
No. Irl, there are No signs denoting lap count in any form of racing. Well not for competitors… You watch the flag stand. There is also rarely boards coming over pit walls in most racing series. You usually have your crew chief on the radio giving lap times or gaps.

Sometimes you have a fancy dash timers that will give you your sector and lap splits. But that’s higher up in the racing ranks

While I do get that thought process, in one sense. Think of the type of person that’s going to buy a VR headset, that costs more than the console itself, they are likely not the “average/casual” player, they likely already have a wheel, and likely a rig. So IMO, the GT player who’s gone out to get a VR headset, isn’t average Joe offline, he’s much more likely to be the hardcore GT player, that wants to also race competitively with VR, and would want all of that information. IMO anyways.
Oh for sure. I’m speaking of overall players includes hardcore players. Not just average casual alone. I’m not sure of all PSVR2 players that have a wheel are playing Sport Mode. I’ve got no numbers of overall PSVR2 purchasers(wheel and controller users) that play Sport Mode.

Your thread question then does make more sense if World Tour players don’t use PSVR2. That’s even a smaller minority of minority of overall players that participate in Sport Mode. PD don’t use it in those events because of showing the faces of the racers. If those World Tour players aren’t going to be using it at home/streaming channels and at live events, why would PD add more information just for those minority of players(even though it would benefit the whole PSVR2 community)?
It’s silly the information isn’t available. I absolutely don’t know why.

I suspect, and could be wrong, that hardware limitations may impact their options to add information and/or detail to what the PSVR is rendering. I had pretty low expectations, and was pretty shocked at the quality of the imaging given the PS5's limitations. To run iracing, for example, at max graphics and 90fps on the Reverb G2 takes waaaaay more PC than a PS5. And doesn't look any better. When PSVR came out, it took a $3k PC to run anything comparable. It's not that much cheaper now, though some components have gone down in price. Even adding small details like toggling different HUD options, having spectators in the stands, or even a guy standing in pit lane will cause fps to drop unless you have a killer PC. The PS5 is highly optimised compared to a PC, and has zero bloat, etc; but still has far lower capabilities than high end PCs that most use elsewhere for VR.

For user experience, particularly for such a new market, I am sure that having the highest frame rates and smoothest operation were paramount. Otherwise, they were going to lose users in the first few minutes of trying it out. Again, I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they up against limiting factors that they haven't disclosed.

It is worth noting, that in real life very few have access to any of the information you see in regular flat screen play. Most amateur racers have little or no crew. Little as in their kids lol, or none as in they show up with a truck and trailer and a car they built and prep themselves. Until you get into SCCA Majors and Nasa national races, most don't have radios. And those that do usually have a wife, girlfriend, etc on the radio rather than the teams of strategists you see hiding under the awning in pro racing pits. Even if you are lucky enough to have a rockstar on the radio, perhaps another racer with the live timing up in front of them; living timing tends to only update when a driver crosses the s/f. Even with racemonitor or racehero up, you don't get realtime gaps where you can see hundredths gained or lost. You get a refresh each time that drivers crosses the line with their last lap time, best lap time, and gap to leader and others. Even your radio man can't tell you what gap you pulled in the last half of a lap, except in the highest forms of pro racing.

Most racers, unless you compete in endurance races or specific high level pro series, never make pit stops. And even in enduros outside of pro racing, there are usually minimum time limits in the pits so you aren't rushing driver swaps and taking shortcuts with safety gear, etc. And even so, you have no idea what tyres the other guys are changing to unless you have such a large crew that you have someone walking the pits spying lol. And of 200-300 entrants depending upon the race weekend, that's like maybe 5 teams with those kinds of resources. The information given in races on flat screen is a luxury compared to real racing.

For all the “realism” guys. iRacing is basically the most hardcore racing simulator you can get, and in iRacing, I can add any bit of race info I want to, up to, and including, full multi class leaderboards, full track map, tire info, fuel info, delta to leaders/other cars. Literally any info you want can be added, and if it doesn’t allow it in game, a 3rd party app does, and all fully customizable. iRacing is the most “realism” game out there, for racing, so what’s PD’s excuse?

Last edited:
Back