Do You Think PD Made VR Uncompetitive On Purpose?

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 74 comments
The thing with the power to use these graphics in VR, PD placed the weather radar. I feel that would require more graphical power than showing 9-10 or even just the top five car’s tyre choices.

i’d be satisfied with some way to be informed what lap im on, during the longer races of course, as video game time isn’t usually my most sober moments of the day. ^^
LOL! I now have soda on my monitor.

Some cars do have a lap count on the wheel where others don't. But I'm now faster for the most part than I was when I was driving on a flat screen. Still, I'd love to be able to get to A+ and challenge for a world series seat. Would they let me wear a headset? Unlikely.

Still, it's nice to dream . ..

LOL! I now have soda on my monitor.

Some cars do have a lap count on the wheel where others don't. But I'm now faster for the most part than I was when I was driving on a flat screen. Still, I'd love to be able to get to A+ and challenge for a world series seat. Would they let me wear a headset? Unlikely.

Still, it's nice to dream . ..
It’s doubtful, they won’t let players who make live events on a pad, use the pad in live races, they have to use a wheel.

For all the “realism” guys. iRacing is basically the most hardcore racing simulator you can get, and in iRacing, I can add any bit of race info I want to, up to, and including, full multi class leaderboards, full track map, tire info, fuel info, delta to leaders/other cars. Literally any info you want can be added, and if it doesn’t allow it in game, a 3rd party app does, and all fully customizable. iRacing is the most “realism” game out there, for racing, so what’s PD’s excuse?
Again, that isn't real. Iracing can call itself whatever, but having that information isn't real. PD aren't direct competitors with iracing. Hell, iracing has like 3 cars that an average racer would ever drive. IMO, when comparing to the types of racing amateurs get involved in, GT7 has iracing beat. If you go to a track, you'll find acres of Miatas, Civics, Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Porsches, Fits, Mazda 2s, BMW 3 series, etc. Nearly none of which are represented in iracing. Not to be on the attack against iracing, but they only have a handful of cars without sequential shifters, and most of them legacy cars that don't have any supported races. Meanwhile, most people never in their life race anything with a sequential. Iracing is a decent pro racing simulator, with its own deviations from realism as well. Just in different ways.
The thing with the power to use these graphics in VR, PD placed the weather radar. I feel that would require more graphical power than showing 9-10 or even just the top five car’s tyre choices.
Mirrors are the largest resource hog, and GT7 has better mirrors in VR than anything else I've driven.

Last edited:
Again, that isn't real. Iracing can call itself whatever, but having that information isn't real. They aren't direct competitors with iracing. Hell, iracing has like 3 cars that an average racer would ever drive. IMO, when comparing to the types of racing amateurs get involved in, GT7 has iracing beat. If you go to a track, you'll find acres of Miatas, Civics, Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Porsches, Fits, Mazda 2s, BMW 3 series, etc. Nearly none of which are represented in iracing. Not to be on the attack against iracing, but they only have a handful of cars without sequential shifters, and most of them legacy cars that don't have any supported races. Meanwhile, most people never in their life race anything with a sequential. Iracing is a decent pro racing simulator, with its own deviations from realism as well. Just in different ways.

Mirrors are the largest resource hog, and GT7 has better mirrors in VR than anything else I've driven.
That’s exactly my point, “it isn’t real”, it’s a game, even iRacing. So there is absolutely no excuse to not have the information available. It’s a game, every other person on track has that information, so not having it is just silly. Making arguments that IRL drivers don’t have the info is a moot here, because the other drivers in this case DO have that info, every single last bit of it.

Edit: And for the Mirrors, iRacing still does it better. in iR I can move my head, to adjust the angle I’m seeing in the mirrors, just like real life. GT doesn’t do this well, and it turns the mirrors into cameras, that aren’t very usable at all.

Last edited:
Edit: And for the Mirrors, iRacing still does it better. in iR I can move my head, to adjust the angle I’m seeing in the mirrors, just like real life. GT doesn’t do this well, and it turns the mirrors into cameras, that aren’t very usable at all.
I actually prefer this in GT7, because no matter what I am doing it keeps the relevant info in the mirror in my view. Though, I can certainly understand why someone would prefer it the other way.

PD doesn't like us... jk

comparing GT7 to Iracing isnt exactly apples to apples. the GT series is a racing game for car enthusiast. where I feel Iracing is a racing simulator for racers and enthusiasts.

also lets be glad its only so real for either game...two words, repair bills, or even, entry fees...so yeah im okay with just certain amounts of realism in my video games.

and as annoying as it is to not have all the same info in VR, i have no noticable issues playing in VR and i actually feel my lap times improve when in vr. they are definitely a lot more consistent lap to lap. i will try to make a more scientific approach if i can remember of VR's v flat screen lap times.

I consistently drop 2 tenths per minute when swapping back to flat screen. The ability to place your tyre to the inch on the flat screen cannot be overstated in that respect. However, I enjoy VR far more and pretty much exclusively drive in VR except to check my input registers periodically to make sure the brake and throttle aren't hanging up.

Everyone is going to be vastly different, though. Those who were leaving more time on the table to begin with, have more to gain. A particular combo will only lap so fast, no matter what you do. If you were already quite close to that pace, you won't see significant gains.

Most things that add immersion (powerful wheels, pedals with tons of travel and 80lbs to depress, big clunky shifters, motion rigs) tend to actually slow you down a little.

While I don't really have a comment on the state of competitiveness of the current VR display options, I still think they could put all that data that gets displayed in the middle or side of the screen on pages of the MFD. For crying out loud, they can place your sector splits there, why not all the rest of it too? At least for cockpit view and VR. Not sure if there's some limitation to the resources the MFD takes up. I can't imagine it's much if they can put weather data, long & short radar, BB and TC settings and sector times on it. 'Course, it could take 4 more MFD pages for a full grid to display times and pit data, maybe more. That could be busy to cycle through 10+ pages getting to the one you want to see. How 'bout some enlightenment here @polyphony Digital? <Dragonwhisky asks in vain>

It’s a baffling decision for PD not to add a toggle-able screen to show delta times, 1 year from VR’s inception. It’s even more strange that Sony hasn’t pushed PD to make a VR-only “live race”, similar to how they did with the championship events during Covid. Wouldn’t cost them anything, except maybe sending contestants a laptop and a camera in order to record the event to broadcast later - and they would for sure make that money back 10x in headsets sold after. As the old adage goes; “race on Sunday, sell on Monday”. But honestly, a lot of PD/Sony’s business decisions baffle me from their MTX pricing, to the wasted Fanatec-GT partnership. They could have used Fanatec’s moxie ( yes I’m aware of their current issues…still waiting to get my DD Pro back from repair) - to make GT “branded” peripherals such as button boxes, handbrakes, ect.

But I digress… 🙄

I'm wondering if its resource related. How much resources would it take up to have a working VR to the extent that it is AND have dynamic weather AND a working live Radar AND all the telemetry present all at once in addition to everything else (including having so many cars on track at once)?

I know iRacing just included rain, but I'd be willing to bet they had far more time and manpower to figure out how to work with and stabilize and get all those resources to work together.

Last edited:
It could even be an additional page to the MFD.
Like a reduced version of the cars order list with the gaps in the space used for splits in the detailed lap/sector times page.
If I were to speculate on the reasons behind the absence of race info in VR, I'd bet that the decision was made because the full race info would have been very obstructive in the "floating" mode we have for lap time/counter and position info.

As the title states, do you think PD purposely made the VR experience uncompetitive for proper racing on purpose? Why else would we not have access to vital race info mid race, like every other driving view gets? It makes the headset almost useless in proper competitive races, since you are basically driving blind. I have a feeling it was done on purpose, to avoid creating an expensive meta setup, or at least to avoid the impression of that being the case. Why else in the world would we not have full race info, whilst “in a race”? What do you guys think?
Wow. I hadn't considered that, but it makes perfect sense

Last edited:
I just want a yellow flag warning pop up on screen while in vr. I've lost the clean race bonus twice because I couldn't see the flagger at night while in heavy rain. Just have it pop up like the off track penalty warning does. I want all the other stuff, but I feel the yellow flag warning should be a high priority ( they've already had a year to add it so "high" is a relative term lol).

that hardware limitations may impact their options to add information and/or detail to what the PSVR is rendering.
That is very unlikely, even if just because some cars have these information on their steering wheel and in worst case a full grid of the same car with this information would result in the same amount of data per race.

I would just go with: PD didnt care for reasons we cant agree on.
Being lazy, being ignorant, being PD basically.
Just doing the bare minimum to call it "implemented".

While he intention is clear "reducing VR sickness by awkward display", optimized UI shouldnt require removing information without replacements.

Last edited:
PD put very little focus on enhancing features once they're in the game, even if it's an easy fix. Frustratingly enough this also happens with features that were in previous games, and are now not in GT7.

Unless it gets in the way of people buying credits, then they'd fix it within a week.

Last edited:
One thing I wish they could do for us VR racers if they don't to add even more floating text to obscure the view is to place a MFD to the right or left of the steering wheel in every car where we could cycle between what we already have, plus delta times and such.
A proper screen added to the cars interior.

Last edited:
I think the most probable is that Kaz feels that VR makes sense to enjoy driving as an immersive experience, close to real, not so much racing but cruising, and this is why they left the hud to a minimum.
If that were the case, then we'd have no mfd/HUD in VR at all, no ?

But, this has ne stumped as well...
I would welcome the option to completely hide the HUD in VR, but, that would have to be an option...
Additionally, the HUD is absolutely missing some vital bits. And, I too would have thought PD would add this later quickly after the initial VR release.
As I would prefer to completely customize the huds for VR as well with the aspects I find suitable...
Oh well. Should be such a low hanging fruit and qol features. But seemingly, PD keep being PD and continue pd'ing along... :/

If that were the case, then we'd have no mfd/HUD in VR at all, no ?

But, this has ne stumped as well...
I would welcome the option to completely hide the HUD in VR, but, that would have to be an option...
Additionally, the HUD is absolutely missing some vital bits. And, I too would have thought PD would add this later quickly after the initial VR release.
As I would prefer to completely customize the huds for VR as well with the aspects I find suitable...
Oh well. Should be such a low hanging fruit and qol features. But seemingly, PD keep being PD and continue pd'ing along... :/
That would completely ban racing from VR, I dont think PD wanted that. More likely their approach is "if you want to race you can, but we are not making a racing environment specifically for VR because VR has its full potential not necessarily in a race".

That would completely ban racing from VR, I dont think PD wanted that. More likely their approach is "if you want to race you can, but we are not making a racing environment specifically for VR because VR has its full potential not necessarily in a race".
If VR isn’t made for “in race” then what the heck do think it was made for? I didn’t buy a VR for anything other than IN RACE. 🤔

Last edited:
I don't believe PD did make it on purpose.
But it's true that it doesn't make sense to me.
It should be each one's own decision whether to have the option to use HUD or not.
If someone just wants to have the most possible immersive ride just turn it off.
If someone wants to have all possible info available just turn it on.

On the other hand I know from my personal experience that the only thing that is really really important is the fuel gauge.
I'm a very competitive player and in the same moment an absolute enthusiast for the most possible immersive ride.

I NEVER use any sort of HUD.
I always drive in Cockpit View.
Therefore I'm basically limited to drive a handful of gt3/4 cars for example which actually provide the necessary info on the in car dashboard.

I know it's a big downside and I would really really love to see PD implement fully working in car dashboard gauges for every gt3/4 car.
But it is what it is unfortunately which absolutely doesn't make sense either.

So at the end of the day it's about adapting and making the most out of the given options to choose from.

But blatantly claiming that competitive players basically give a shid about realism is just utter nonsense my friend @Pigems
It might be your personal opinion at how You personally look at it but lump sum making such a statement is... well your opinion 🤭

@PirovacBoy - what are those "handful of gt3/4 cars for example which actually provide the necessary info on the in car dashboard" ?
I'm curious ;)

Also re "I NEVER use any sort of HUD." - did you find a way to get rid of the VR MFD, i.e. the floating VR UI right/left of the steering wheel...

Cheers

@PirovacBoy - what are those "handful of gt3/4 cars for example which actually provide the necessary info on the in car dashboard" ?
I'm curious ;)

Also re "I NEVER use any sort of HUD." - did you find a way to get rid of the VR MFD, i.e. the floating VR UI right/left of the steering wheel...

Cheers
The few ones that spontaneous come to my mind would be
McLaren GT3
McLaren GT4
BMW GT3
BMW GT4
Corvette GT4 and most probably GT3 too
Volkswagen GT3 VGT
Mercedes AMG '11 GT3
Porsche Cayman GT4
Honda NSX GT4 and GT3 too but not 100% sure on the GT3 variant anymore.

And definitely a few more but I currently just don't remember which ones exactly.
Some of them like the BMW GT4 has the most useful Dashboard showing Lap Times
Fuel
Lap Count
Position on track

I don't drive with VR. Not anymore.
I use my trustworthy 75" TV 😀

Last edited:
The few ones that spontaneous come to my mind would be
McLaren GT3
McLaren GT4
BMW GT3
BMW GT4
Corvette GT4 and most probably GT3 too
Volkswagen GT3 VGT
Mercedes AMG '11 GT3
Porsche Cayman GT4
Honda NSX GT4 and GT3 too but not 100% sure on the GT3 variant anymore.

And definitely a few more but I currently just don't remember which ones exactly.
Some of them like the BMW GT4 has the most useful Dashboard showing Lap Times
Fuel
Lap Count
Position on track

I don't drive with VR. Not anymore.
I use my trustworthy 75" TV 😀
First off, you’re not wrong, it was my opinion. I should have added that part, 100%.

Second, I’m surprised that you went back to a TV. Any particular reason? I know you’re more into the immersion/realism than I am, so that’s a bit surprising to hear. I know I’m more into whatever works best, instead of the immersion/realism, and I’m struggling to want to not use the VR, even with all its flaws. As much as I complain about, they did a great job with what they did do with it.

Last edited:
First off, you’re not wrong, it was my opinion. I should have added that part, 100%.

Second, I’m surprised that you went back to a TV. Any particular reason? I know you’re more into the immersion/realism than I am, so that’s a bit surprising to hear. I know I’m more into whatever works best, instead of the immersion/realism, and I’m struggling to want to not use the VR, even with all its flaws. As much as I complain about, they did a great job with what they did do with it.
Well, of course I tried vr2 and got it on day1.
But unfortunately no matter what I tried I just simply couldn't get rid of motion sickness.
That's the only reason I went back to flat screen.

PD love flashing warnings. Might as well flash a warning advising Light Drizzle, Light Rain, Torrential Rain are coming in 2 minutes or whatever time interval.

Back