Do you work too much?

How many hours do you work weekly?

• Total voters
United States
Indiana
pie4july
How many hours do you work a week on average? Do you think it's too much? Would you change the concept of the "40 hour work week"?

It's pretty obvious that a "lot of people" feel they don't have enough income. So they work more hours to fill the gap. Also, other people are migrating around and willing to work for less, driving wages down. So a "lot of people" end up on a treadmill going nowhere but down.

During my working life (I'm retired now) I usually worked 40 hrs/week, with occasional overtime at bonus wages.

But my opinion is that a 15 hour work week is optimal for physical and social health. I would change the concept of the 40 hour week, yes. So how do we get there?

Is it possible to work too much if work provides one with meaning and purpose?

/s

I generally work about 38 hours a week, but sometimes go over that when something needs doing. At peak times it increases dramatically, a colleague of mine recently did an extra 23 hours each week on the run up to a big milestone.

A previous place I worked at kept requesting that my team work an extra hour each day and an extra day each week, and we did that for around 6 months, all completely unpaid, to avoid losing our jobs. The games industry can be a horrible beast sometimes.

My cousin Karl once worked in a government job. His supervisor encouraged him to work as slowly as possible, lest he work himself out of job.

It only goes up to "50 or more". Not too many business owners here I guess. Except during times when I'm on vacation (where I really do try to disconnect--yay for partners) or sick, I can't remember working less than 60 hours/week in more than a decade. And often it's more than that. I'm not really a workaholic by nature. But when it's your own livelihood, and those of your employees at stake, it's kind of a vicious cycle.

I work a regular 40-hour week. During any given week I actually put in anywhere from 36-42 hours worth of work. At crunch time (say, every other month) I'll put in a couple 44-48 hour weeks.
I think that's a reasonable amount. I'm paid pretty well. Am I looking forward to retiring? You bet - should be in about 5 years for me; 3-4 years for my wife. I like my career, I like my job, I like my bosses and coworkers, but if I could quit next week and have enough money to last the rest of my life, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We're pretty close to that, but not quite there yet.

It only goes up to "50 or more". Not too many business owners here I guess. Except during times when I'm on vacation (where I really do try to disconnect--yay for partners) or sick, I can't remember working less than 60 hours/week in more than a decade. And often it's more than that. I'm not really a workaholic by nature. But when it's your own livelihood, and those of your employees at stake, it's kind of a vicious cycle.

I have a career that lends itself to self-employment and / or running your own business. I decided in my early 30s that I was OK with not doing that, for the very reason you describe. I'm sure the satisfaction is high, though.

35 hour week, then about 15-25 hours a week OT?

In June I did about 60-70 hours a week on average. That was a hard month...
I wish my job didn't demand so much of me as it's really very limiting. But I enjoy what I do and there are opportunities for promotion

Last edited:
Recently, it sure feels like I'm working too much. Right now I'm averaging close to 50 hours a week, but at least some of the stuff I can do at home so it's not horrible I guess. My job is really dependent on projects though, sometimes I can struggle to fill 40 hours because I'm just doing tickets we get from end-users. But once a project comes along, the work can really ramp up quickly. Unfortunately, the project this time around is nearly a year long so there's not much downtime for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, my boss is pretty understanding and does his best to make sure we get time with our family.

Are we talking hours at work? Or hours working?
That's a good question, I use to get in my truck a 7, I'd get my route and GPS, go gas up, buy breakfast, ciggs, coffee... 8 hit the road, start route at 9-10, run till 7 if I didn't finish, drive possibly an hour plus to get back, and a half hour to an hour half waiting to unload. Asking for a day off besides the default Sunday was like pulling teeth, had to ask a month in advance for a day off, not to mention we'd get a text every evening telling us who was on, I went in a number of times when I was off cause I never got a text so I'd go in. I got paid by the route, not hour.
TL;DR Averages
2-4 hours driving to and from route
6-10 hours on route
1 hour waiting for dock to unload

6-10 actually working
11-15 total hours a day

Let's see how my next contract works out when the Summer heat ends.

60+ hours, 6/7 days a week here.

Generally right around 40 hours...almost never less, and occasionally more if there is a deadline. I did have an unfortunate streak where I worked more than 20 days straight due to a very tight timeframe. Of course at some point I'll go on my own and the distinction between work and not work will become quite blurry. The poll, IMO should be staggered slightly differently...say 38-42 hours would be a better option than 36-40 or 41-45 hours.

Usually business owners work in something they enjoy or are passionate about. Their workers though, more often than not are working because they have to sustain themselves and use their free time to develop their hobbies and the things they love.

I think it's totally OK for someone who owns a business. They also get more of if not all the profit. :)

I did 70 for about 4 months straight, which yielded me no more money than it would at standard 37.5hr/wks, and I believe it has caused irrecoverable damage to my mental well being and my attitude to work.

As a business owner you should realise that not everyone's business operate the same way. I'll do 17 hour days as and when necessary, work all weekend, go in over Christmas, not take more than a few days a year holiday, take two half days with a broken clavicle and rib, and I have £30k of debt, have to share a house at £570pcm, and I drive a £3k 15 year old BMW 120d... The owner of the company I work for will work just as hard, no doubt, he lives in a £600k house, and drives a £63k car, and goes abroad twice a year for holidays. Business owners know what they get into, and they reap the rewards... they may work hard but they do not deserve a river of tears.

I work for the city 4/10s for 40 a week.
Three day weekends are nice benefits and pension are incredible.
I ran myself into the ground for years on the road I’ll never do it again.
Unless you’re the owner or heavily invested don’t kill yourself making others rich.

my-boss-arrived-at-work-in-a-brand-new-lamborghini-i-41763395.png

My situation is kind of complicated since I work in a trade in a cold climate state. During the warm months I often get 45-50, but in the winter months I probably average about 35.

I do wish I didn't have to work so many hours, but I chose an industry where it's not always possible to leave when the clock hits 8 hours.

I work for the city 4/10s for 40 a week.
Three day weekends are nice benefits and pension are incredible.

Doing 4-10's is the one big thing I miss about my last job. Having Friday off made it ultra easy to get errands done and that third day off also left me feeling more refreshed come Monday.

• Working from 7AM - 4PM in 5 days in a week as an IT Engineer.
• Driving from/ to work needs 1 hour.

In my situation I feel that this is not healthy, especially given the fact that I'm sitting looking at screens and analyzing data all day. The headache is unreal after work ( any advices?) and my social life does suffer a bit sadly because of my work.

I keep it under 50 a week these days, because it was actually doing me mental and physical harm. I'm still not super well, but I'm better since I toned down trying to fix every problem at work by myself.

It's hard watching other people do the same to themselves when all they're really doing is allowing the company to get away with not hiring another person to spread the load. IMO, people do better work more efficiently when they're well rested and not stressed. I know my productivity tanks after about 10 hours a day, although I have a job where being mentally engaged at all times is a requirement.

Does taking care of my invalid father every day (and he needs it) and myself, keep everything running as it should, work in and around my house count as work or do you mean having a job?

I have a career that lends itself to self-employment and / or running your own business. I decided in my early 30s that I was OK with not doing that, for the very reason you describe. I'm sure the satisfaction is high, though.

Usually business owners work in something they enjoy or are passionate about. Their workers though, more often than not are working because they have to sustain themselves and use their free time to develop their hobbies and the things they love.

In may case my pathway in was a bit unusual. It's not a career I really planned on. From the time I was very young, maybe 6 or 7, I knew, with absolute certainty, with a conviction I don't think I've quite felt since, that I wanted to be a pilot. It's a career that I wish, even today, I could have pursued. Now THAT was something I was truly passionate about. But a severe inner ear balance problem and eyesight that requires corrective lenses, meant it wasn't practical or realistic and I had to let it go. Even today, I have to take prescription strength, anti-nausea medication when flying. I then pursued a career in IT, something I enjoyed but wouldn't say I was passionate about. But I've been involved in international cargo logistics for more than 25 years now and it was almost an accident that I ended up here. It's not a career I would have chosen and I wouldn't say I love it, but when I had chance to become a junior partner, 14 years ago, I jumped in with both feet. And like most things in life, you get out of it, what you put into it.

A lot of friends I knew had successful careers and high paying corporate jobs, one a high placed marketing guru for Verizon Wireless, one a well placed manager for Chase Financial, another a high level manager with AT&T. They all poured their heart and souls into their jobs and worked long hours but I was a bit jealous of how well off they seemed to be financially while I was perpetually struggling. At least, let's say, relative to the hours I was working and for being a part owner. And one by one, all three lost their jobs rather unceremoniously and despite their lofty positions, at the end of the day, they were all just numbers. And I told myself, I was NEVER going to allow that to happen to me. I wasn't going to ever lose a job I loved, or was at least good at, not because I had made some catastrophic mistake which cost the company a lot of money (or something worse) but because of some corporate restructuring where dozens, hundreds or even thousands of people were just handed their walking papers because some think tank or a group of consultants made a strategic decision that was better for their bottom line.

As a business owner you should realise that not everyone's business operate the same way. I'll do 17 hour days as and when necessary, work all weekend, go in over Christmas, not take more than a few days a year holiday, take two half days with a broken clavicle and rib, and I have £30k of debt, have to share a house at £570pcm, and I drive a £3k 15 year old BMW 120d... The owner of the company I work for will work just as hard, no doubt, he lives in a £600k house, and drives a £63k car, and goes abroad twice a year for holidays. Business owners know what they get into, and they reap the rewards... they may work hard but they do not deserve a river of tears.

I'm not here asking for or looking for sympathy, but I will tell you this. At the end of the day, I know my company survives not just by force of will and decisions my partner and I make and the effort we put in, but by the hard work and dedication of our employees. Without them, we wouldn't be anywhere. And I try to remind myself, every day, to make sure that I let them know that. Last year, after a long and difficult battle with a 3rd (now ex partner) we made, and showed, a profit for the first time in years. And my partner and I made sure that everybody got a two week bonus, some got more and everybody got a cost of living increase that was at least double the index on top of merit based increases. We also increased the amount of paid leave and we starting matching 401K contributions up to 4%.

We're a relatively small company, less than 30 people. But no matter how we grow, I don't ever intend to forget where I came from or how I got here. And there were a lot more hands than mine involved in that success. But at the end of the day, if things turn for the worse, then THAT'S on me and my responsibility. And that's a weight that all business owners carry.

Anyway, the point I was making was that most of the small-mid sized business owners I know, all work 60+ hours a week. And the poll doesn't reflect that.

Last edited:
Does taking care of my invalid father every day (and he needs it) and myself, keep everything running as it should, work in and around my house count as work or do you mean having a job?
I don't think what you are doing counts as a job.

Back