• Thread starter Liquid
  • 35 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
Okay, odd question but, does anyone know of the reason that on the main menu, the top icon is 'Chrysler' but when you click on the dealership, it turns to Dodge. And the car(s) is(are) always Dodge Viper(s), even in Arcade Mode.

It'd be like the Chevrolet icon being 'General Motors' and then when you click on the dealership it says Chevrolet. Pedantic question I know, but the inconsistancy intrigues me.

It's been awhile since I fired up the original GT, but I'm assuming what you mean is the icon that you click on from the map page is a Chrysler icon?

It's just another Polyphony Digital inconsistency. Chrysler Group owns Dodge, and also owned Plymouth, but now Plymouth is no more. PD probably was just trying to emphasize that Chrysler is the mainstay of the organization, but Dodge is the actual maker of the Viper. Just guessing.

Isn't Dodge a lower level car manufacturer in Europe. Whereas Chrysler is the better brand, thus in Europe the Chrysler Viper. PD was probably just too lazy to change the menu screens as it requires a brand of programming.

Dodge is supposed to be the sportier division. I guess in some cases you could say they make products that are lower-end, although nowadays this line is blurred (like with their minivans). Chrysler is supposed to be more high-end. I've seen plenty of late-model Dodges, though, that have a semi-luxurious feel.

I think back in the old days ('50s, '60s, '70s) there was more of a distance between the two-car makers.

Last edited:
Yeah. Dodge is supposed to be the sportier divsision. I guess in some cases you could say they' make products that are lower-end, although nowadays this line is blurred (like with their minivans). Chrysler is supposed to be more high-end. I've seen plenty of late-model Dodges, though, that have a semi-luxurious feel.

I think back in the old days ('50s, '60s, '70s) there was more of a distance between the two-car makers.

Definetely, back in the '60s and '70s Dodge was more of a muscle car manufacturer (until the oil crisis in '74) whereas Chrysler was more family car oriented. I guess you can say Chrysler is a higher level brand, but pointing out they made the Lebaron defeats my argument.

Just to prove it here is a pic of a Lebaron:
Chrysler-LeBaron-coupe-1.jpg

Ha ha...where's the K car? Dodge Aries? I would put a pic up, but I don't feeling like Photobucketing it. Lol. Not worth it.

If you post pics of them, you'd probably be in trouble for posting innaproppriate and offensive images...:lol:

I like the Chrysler LeBaron... yeah it was a crap car, but it looks nice, and they are rare enough now that they're starting to acquire a novelty value, in my opinion. But not ALL K-Cars are bad - at least the Shelby Omni GLH was fast!

Well, attach Shelby's name to anycar and its automatically better. I want to see a Shelby-Fiat 500 with a v-6 or v-8 stuffed in it. As for why the cars are Dodge's inside the menus in PAL, they probably ran out of time to program adding new screens and a logo and etc.

Ask and ye shall recieve -- I actually own this one (1986 Omni 2.2 3spd auto with 31k miles).

Now an Omni GLHS is a 2.2 Turbo Lowered with large swaybars, different suspension setup, and a 5 speed stick (only, I believe).

If you look hard you can see my 75 Roadrunner (360) 2002 Dakota with a 2005 5.7 Hemi transplant in the background.

7.jpg

I like the Chrysler LeBaron... yeah it was a crap car, but it looks nice, and they are rare enough now that they're starting to acquire a novelty value, in my opinion. But not ALL K-Cars are bad - at least the Shelby Omni GLH was fast!

One of our customers (at my job...I work in a garage) has an original Dodge Aries K. I don't know how it keeps running but somehow it does, with minimal input from us.

That's the thing about American cars. Some of them run forever. Others...you get 20K on the odometer and already it'll need a water pump or one its brake calipers starts leaking! Or it'll need a head job at 120K or something. There's a maxim that if your car was made on a Monday or a Friday, you've got a lemon. Mondays...nobody wants to be back to work. Fridays...everybody's thinking of the weekend. :) This seems to include the robots on the assembly lines, as well as the humans.

I'm talking about cars made during the '90s mostly...nowadays they seem to be getting on their game.

Last edited:
I found it weird in the eighties when the Chrysler badge morphed into an approximation of a five-point version of the Mercedes badge. And it seemed even weirder--as if it had been deliberate--when Mercedes (Daimler) took control of Chrysler.

If it wasn't for them creating the minivan, there'd be no Chrysler. They almost blew it by making that thing, then it saved the company. I for sure thought they would've put it in GT by now.

^True true. No, Caravans and Town & Countrys have no place in a Gran Turismo game. NO place! Then again, the same could be said about Odysseys, Demios, etc. Granted, plenty of people mod Odysseys in real-life (it's a Honda!) and I believe the Demio does race, or did. Nobody races Caravans, though. Not that I've ever seen.

^True true. No, Caravans and Town & Countrys have no place in a Gran Turismo game. NO place! Then again, the same could be said about Odysseys, Demios, etc. Granted, plenty of people mod Odysseys in real-life (it's a Honda!) and I believe the Demio does race, or did. Nobody races Caravans, though. Not that I've ever seen.

Top Gear ran a Caravan Race-- Renault Espace was first and second:dopey:

Hey. Why are Lantis' in the game then aswell?

I did a quick google of "Mazda Lantis racing" and a few results came up, other than Gran Turismo stuff. I'm afraid I know very little about the JGTC or Japan's championship races, other than what I learn here or during my studies, but it's looking like the Lantis probably did have a little bit of a history.

Top Gear ran a Caravan Race-- Renault Espace was first and second:dopey:

LOL. I gotta start watching that show.

Well, I can verify that Vipers have always been Dodges in the UK at least. Dodge has always been known as a producer of sports/muscle cars (Viper, Challenger, Charger) and Chrysler is a producer of more luxurious/mundane cars (Crossfire, 300C, PT Cruiser, Voyager)

I don't think Dodge's 'normal' cars like the Intrepid ever went on sale in the UK, but the Neon was released under the Chrysler badge.

Well, I can verify that Vipers have always been Dodges in the UK at least. Dodge has always been known as a producer of sports/muscle cars (Viper, Challenger, Charger) and Chrysler is a producer of more luxurious/mundane cars (Crossfire, 300C, PT Cruiser, Voyager)

Correct. Dodge made the Viper and Chrysler concentrates on "higher level" product. Some people have said (on muscle car websites) that the original Chrysler 300 is considered muscle. But the modern one is a 4-door, and the traditional muscle car dudes don't consider 4-doors to be true muscle cars. :lol:

I don't think Dodge's 'normal' cars like the Intrepid ever went on sale in the UK, but the Neon was released under the Chrysler badge.

Chrysler Neon? Lol. Neon was used in America for both Dodge and Plymouth, so there were Dodge Neons and Plymouth Neons.

Hmm, the original C-300 '57 looks like a conventional 50's car, and did have a 300hp V8, but you're right, the '05 launched 300C is definitely a luxury car. It may be powerful, yet.. it's just not a muscle car. The Chrysler LX platform has many similarities with the Mercedes S-Class; again, a powerful, fast car but it's more of a luxury car.

Badge engineering can be damn confusing, as well as having too many similar or overlapping brands. Anyway, back on topic. To quote myself:

And the car(s) is(are) always Dodge Viper(s)

But now that I think about it, wasn't the Viper a Chrysler in GT3?

Badge engineering can be damn confusing, as well as having too many similar or overlapping brands. Anyway, back on topic. To quote myself:

But now that I think about it, wasn't the Viper a Chrysler in GT3?

Nope. It was a Dodge.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/089/089392p1.html

https://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_3_:_PAL_Car_List

The first link is US/NTSC. The second is PAL. I couldn't find an Asian car list, but I'm guessing it's also a Dodge in this version, too, unless PD made some sort of a typo somewhere.

Aha, I see.

I got mixed up. The Oreca '00 Racecar Viper was a Chrysler (PAL). I thought that was strange too.

So the Oreca is a Dodge in the other versions right? Can't check right now, I'm babysitting my little sister. If I turn off the TreeHouse channel to put on my Ps2, she'll go nuts!

Yeah, it appears that Vipers are always Dodge, except in GT3, we have a Chrysler Viper Oreca Race Car

How strange indeed.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that between 1997-2003 the Viper was sold as a Chrysler in Europe. This, I was not aware of. I have always associated the Viper as a Dodge, and every Viper I have ever seen has been a Dodge. I've never even heard of anyone quoting a 'Chrysler' Viper. Hmm, 'Europe' is often different to and excludes the 'UK' when it comes to cars. Maybe the UK was an exception.

Very strange indeed

Last edited:
Could be something to do with the fact that Chrysler is (or was) paired up with Daimler, which is European-based.

Oreca is the French shop that specializes in racing I believe. Their association helped Dodge (or Chrysler, whatever) get involved with FIA racing more successfully.

So the Oreca is a Dodge in the other versions right? Can't check right now, I'm babysitting my little sister. If I turn off the TreeHouse channel to put on my Ps2, she'll go nuts!

Yeah, I believe that in every version except GT3, the Oreca Viper is a Dodge.

Standard Vipers are always Dodges.

Additional anomaly; Like I said in the OP, the route goes HOME > CHRYSLER > NEW CARS (But the menu screen is clearly, Dodge; 'The New Dodge' etc.)

However, it only occured to me playing yesterday that the cars are called Dodge Viper on the dealership screen as opposed to just Skyline, Griffith, NSX etc. Almost like the name of the car is Chrysler Dodge Viper

I don't know, this isn't even an important thing, but... it's just odd.

I just drove the "Chrysler Prowler" yesterday in GT5 for the first time. At first I was like...wait a minute, Chrysler didn't make that car, Plymouth did. After further research, I learned that what happened was Plymouth went out of business, and Chrysler took over the Prowler for just a short period before dropping the model altogether.

I'm thinking the

Back