Does anybody care about split-screen?

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
I had my best video game experiences with split-screen. Family time at its best. 4 person split-screen is more important now that most people have giant TVs. For me it is a highly important feature.

My fondest videogame experiences are splitscreen in my buddy's basement during my childhood pigging out on junk food, staying up all night and yelling at one another for screen-hopping. Miss that stuff.

I am older now, so I generally don't have the time to coordinate multiplayer games anymore, whether it's online or splitscreen, but even if I had the time there just doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there for splitscreen anymore.

Yep, I still care, especially now that I am married and want to get my wife into gaming as a activity we can do together. Split screen gaming is a great way to do that in my opinion. It makes me sad that so few games have this option now.

I'm pretty sure there are more local multiplayer games to choose from today than there were in the old days if you count Steam, Switch, and indie games. Not to mention older games themselves. I'm always keeping an eye out for new multiplayer games my wife and I might both enjoy, and there are so many to pick through on Switch!

It's true enough that a certain slice of games pushing shiny graphics and/or online multiplayer have de-emphasized splitscreen gaming, including within the racing genre, but if you're merely after local fun in general, there's a lot out there you may be overlooking. 👍 Party games like Overcooked 2 and various wacky physics games, 4-player brawlers, or co-op platformers are ubiquitous, honestly.

Just in the racing genre, there are retro titles like Horizon Chase Turbo or the upcoming Hotshot Racing, GRIP if racing combat is your thing, Redout, FAST RMX or Mario Kart 8 DX on Switch, etc...

I occassionally care about them. I used to invite my friend over to play bunch of Mario Kart 8 or Overcooked 2 or Metal Slug games.

Can't do it nowadays for obvious reason, and I usually prefer singleplay games most of the time, but splitscreen multiplayer is always a good time.

I had my best video game experiences with split-screen. Family time at its best. 4 person split-screen is more important now that most people have giant TVs. For me it is a highly important feature.

If you are looking for family time around one screen with multiple controllers, you should check out the Intellivision Amico, it's coming in October. There's info and links in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...athering-steam-for-a-10-10-20-release.391935/

Back