Does anyone know the FOV in GT Sport?

Austria
Vienna
I know you can't change it but read up a bit on this and seems there is a relation between FOV, display size and distance to the screen.
As I am quite variable with the viewing distance I wanna try optimizing it, but not sure what the "prefect" distance would be.

Does anyone have a clue what the fixed FOV in GT Sport is set to? Best guess from experienced drivers compared to other games would also be fine (I haven't done much Sim(cade) racing so far and not played around with this in other racing games).

Is it different between bumper, cockpit and hood/roof? I usually use the bumper view now, hood/roof might also be acceptable (cockpit not so much, too much is blocked out by the cockpit itself in my opinion).

I know you can't change it but read up a bit on this and seems there is a relation between FOV, display size and distance to the screen.
As I am quite variable with the viewing distance I wanna try optimizing it, but not sure what the "prefect" distance would be.

Does anyone have a clue what the fixed FOV in GT Sport is set to? Best guess from experienced drivers compared to other games would also be fine (I haven't done much Sim(cade) racing so far and not played around with this in other racing games).

Is it different between bumper, cockpit and hood/roof? I usually use the bumper view now, hood/roof might also be acceptable (cockpit not so much, too much is blocked out by the cockpit itself in my opinion).

I have a feeling that it is somewhere between 50-55' from cockpit view... Will check it, I can test it with Assetto Corsa and compare FoV settings on both games, at least AC gives you option to set it up properly :)

Cheers...

Thanks a lot!

So this means I should sit ~1m away from my 78" TV. hmmm... seems close :odd:

...now, maybe I am mistaken, but I think Assetto Corsa uses vFoV as main, so this would mean that hFoV (or FoV) in that same isnstance is somewhat 85'. But then again, I am not sure, try to recalculate it as 85' and see if it is more natural for you.

BTW here is vFoV to hFoV (FoV) calculator:
http://themetalmuncher.github.io/fov-calc/

Cheers...

...now, maybe I am mistaken, but I think Assetto Corsa uses vFoV as main, so this would mean that hFoV (or FoV) in that same isnstance is somewhat 85'. But then again, I am not sure, try to recalculate it as 85' and see if it is more natural for you.

BTW here is vFoV to hFoV (FoV) calculator:
http://themetalmuncher.github.io/fov-calc/

Cheers...
I was going to say the same thing about Assetto Corsa. I seem to vaguely recall the number for Gran Turismo 5 being somewhere between 80 and 90 when we were able to get into the hidden menus.

I did try to get a hFOV estimate by moving the car to the start/finish line and setting the car up so I can see the start/finish line in a straight vertical line at the edge of the screen. Doing this I pretty much exactly came to a FOV of 80° (maybe a tiny bit more) and the FOV is the same in bumper, cockpit and hood/rood view - only the camera position is different.
So using the FOV calculator (I used the Project Cars setting for hPOV, only works when Adobe Flash is installed...) I come to the conclusion that you should sit ~58-60% of the screen width from the TV/monitor.
In my case with the 78" TV with a width of about 175cm I should sit ~102cm away from the TV.... that is really very close!

At the distance where I normally sit when playing (and that is already pretty close!) the FOV should be around 50°.

I really wished they would give us the opportunity to change the FOV!

There's a good youtube video about this that I only happened to watch the other day. I don't suppose you happened to watch the same video. I'll try and find the link although you've probably got all the info you need.

Edit: Here's the link

There's a good youtube video about this that I only happened to watch the other day. I don't suppose you happened to watch the same video. I'll try and find the link although you've probably got all the info you need.

Edit: Here's the link

Yep I've seen this video yesterday and with GT Sport I guess it is like with this orange monitor, where you have to sit really close to as the FOV is so high.

At the distance where I normally sit when playing (and that is already pretty close!) the FOV should be around 50°.
With 50°FOV your field of view will be much more narrow than 80°FOV.
In my case with the 78" TV with a width of about 175cm I should sit ~102cm away from the TV.... that is really very close!
No, it's not.How far away from the screen do you think this guy is sitting,and the screen is bigger than yours!

2.png

No, it's not.How far away from the screen do you think this guy is sitting,and the screen is bigger than yours!

Well that may be, but considering that my Playseat Challenge with the pedals attached alone is far longer than the 102cm and considering that likely most are playing on a smaller screen than my 78" TV the 80° FOV seems quite extreme (and I won't be able to mount the 78" TV on top of my playseat :lol:).

Well that may be, but considering that my Playseat Challenge with the pedals attached alone is far longer than the 102cm and considering that likely most are playing on a smaller screen than my 78" TV the 80° FOV seems quite extreme (and I won't be able to mount the 78" TV on top of my playseat :lol:).
Strap it on your head for fake-VR-effect :lol:

Is that fov why tracks look so much wider and stretched out on tv than in VR?
Going back and forth always takes a bit of getting used to. Either the tracks look too small in VR or too big on TV. I guess VR is correct as corners look like real corners there.
Yes.

If the FOV is too wide (larger value) for your monitor/seat distance then it makes the track feel too wide, make corner radiuses open up, stretches the track out screwing with braking distances and also flattens out elevation.

I'm currently putting a video together that looks at how these values affect these areas, and what FOV options PS4 titles give to us.

Hi, anyone know what tv size i need to get 1 to 1 fov in gts. I have 42inch now.
That depends on how far from the screen you sit.

Given your current screen size you would need to sit around 20 inches from it for GTS's locked FOV to be correct.

Given your current screen size you would need to sit around 20 inches from it for GTS's locked FOV to be correct.

I'd say 24-25" distance.
EDIT: no you are right, I confused diagonal with width, 20 sounds about right then.

After playing gts with psvr's cinematic modes for months i cant go back to tv i feel the tracks look so small. Also i can sit 20 to 24 inch away from tv.

When you all adjust the cockpit position in GT sport etc which settings do you use daily for the best FOV? 👍 Or is it best to leave it at 0 + 0

Last edited:
When you all adjust the cockpit position in GT sport etc which settings do you use daily for the best FOV? 👍 Or is it best to leave it at 0 + 0
View attachment 715700
Those just change the seat position, they do not alter the FOV at all.

As such its your own preference as to what you have them at, the FOV will stay at (around) 85 degrees as its locked in GTS.

This is what changes to FOV look like (seat position is the same for all of these, and the car is at the same point on track T1 split at Brands Hatch in PC2):

52 degrees.
52.png

70 degrees
70.png

90 degrees
90.png

I will throw a quick video together that shows these fading into each other to make it easier to see.

Edited to add:

Video transition from 52 to 70 to 90 and back again, car is stationary and the seat/camera position doesn't move at all.

Last edited:
Back