Does Donald Trump Want to Ban German Luxury Cars from America?

Keeping American consumers ignorant of what Germany can do goes 180° against the Republican mantra of the benefits of competition.

That’s for sure. It was Australia’s right wing government which enacted sensible gun legislation to keep its citizens safer, which places it to the left of the US Democratic Party which has achieved nothing significant in this issue. Every time I hear the press raising the issue of "bump stocks", I get visions of schools of red herrings. (“Schools” in the fish sense, not the massacre sense)

I just hope our constitution can survive the extreme right wing assaults on it. The ugly head of authoritarianism has been steadily rising here for years. This latest ploy that this “innocent” president can pardon himself is terrifying. More terrifying is that the Republican Party refuses to slap him down. Even MORE terrifying is that maybe 30% of the American PEOPLE are apparently OK with this!

I’m no expert on American history, probably because I’m an immigrant, but having a “King Donald J The First” seems to go against much of the motivation for what was an historic conflict between England and America. Kings weren’t all that popular back in the days of formation of my adopted country. Now we have millions ready to goose-step behind this guy. WTF!
Before we get kicked out by the powers that be, but we can continue this elsewhere if you'd like.

So, getting past the hysteria of "OMG the sky is falling because Trump" nonsense, what exactly is the right doing to "assault the constitution" as you say? The left has adopted the "hate speech is not free speech" mentality, which would get rid of our 1st amendment and now they're very open about getting rid of the 2nd. But I don't see the right trying to tear up the Constitution. Do you have any examples?

As for the "Trump can pardon himself" being terrifying. Sorry but the sky is once again not falling. This was actually floated around with Hillary
https://lawandcrime.com/opinion/if-...ardon-herself-and-congress-might-be-helpless/
But of course, since it's Trump it's OMG!!!! I will give it that it was very stupid to say what he said but I care more about what he does and less about what he says.

As for the "King Trump" have you looked at Obama lately? From Michelle calling herself the "forever first lady" to him saying that he would have won a third term and proclaiming that he wants "a million more people like him" But that won't get the hysteria on CNN because he is their God King. Not to mention Obama greatly expanded the powers of the office (as did Bush), and he even sent the damn IRS after his political opponents, for god sakes c'mon.

And that's really the big difference, the lunacy and hysteria. It wasn't a majority of the right that were saying "ZOMG He's going to kill us all!!!!!!" regarding Obama it was just "What an 🤬, I can't wait for him to leave office, but I hope he doesn't completely screw things up." These days it's actually pretty rare to find a reasonable voice on the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I don't see the right trying to tear up the Constitution. Do you have any examples?

I mean the tariffs Trump has implemented is, for the most part, in violation of the Commerce Clause of the Constitution. He did it under the guise of "national security" but that was just a way to get around something that's pretty unpopular with Republicans in Congress that'd never approve it. Banning imported cars from one country would further this if it were to happen.

Trump was also ruled in violation of free speech when he started blocking people on Twitter the criticized him.

Oh and lets not even get started on how the right wants to enact laws based purely on religious morality, which is a clear violation of "separation of church and state".

Not making stuff up, it's fact that the US is the only industrialized nation with freedom of expression.

That’s an opinion. If you think it’s a fact you need to be able to demonstrate why the statement is objectively true.

And after seeing the crap going on in Europe, we've actually the only ones (between the US and the European nations) with a functioning democracy.

Define “functioning democracy”.

You don't know as much about Europe as you think you do. All fine here with free speech, the only people complaining about it are the right wing fanatics. But since you seem to get your news from these groups, no wonder you think what you think. I'm sure you think the various stories are true of Sharia law being in place in large parts of London, Birmingham, Cologne and whatever city in Europe has been mentioned in that hoax.

And let's not talk about your "functioning democracy" with basically a two party system, both on the right side and heavily owned by corporate money, gerrymandering, excessive lobbying from private corporations, excessive spendings on election campaigns, limiting people's access to register to vote, etc, etc.

Speaking of which, guess what, we don't even need to register to vote. When we turn 18, we are registered automatically for being able to vote, and from then on get all the voting papers sent to us by mail. We can then also vote by mail. No need to get in line for several hours at a voting bureau to place our votes. You can guys on the other side seem to want to make it as hard and inconvenient to vote as possible. So much for democracy.

Oh, so you do have freedom of speech in the way we do? Check the other thread, and please list anything in the link that I posted that was incorrect. Thank you.

As for where I get my news sources, you couldn't be more wrong. But you seem pretty dead set.

Yes, functioning democracy. Did you forget what just happened in Italy?
https://www.thelocal.it/20180529/ma...e-for-the-right-thing-gunther-oettinger-italy

When the current President threatens "No, I will not allow the democratically elected party to take power, I will call for new elections." you do not have a leg to stand on. Not to mention how often "a new government is put in place" even before the last one was able to finish their terms. We may have had the imbeciles in Hollywood do that exact thing, but no administration has ever done that and the Constitution forbids it. Now they're trying to negate Trump's presidency with the BS Russia crap but it's gone nowhere and it continues to go nowhere. So the people are the same in all of our countries, it's our Constitution that separates us.
How about Spain last year where they didn't allow people the right to vote and even arrested a few that did? Yeah, great democracy.
How about you guys with Brexit. The people voted for it but it seems to have completely stalled.

Onto corporate money, gerrymandering, lobbying, etc.

Lobbying, is anything here incorrect?
https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/lobbying-parliament/

Corporate and Union money (let's be fair and equal with both left and right) is anything here in correct?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_funding_in_the_United_Kingdom

Gerrymandering. Redistricting is done by both parties, just the left loves to complain about it. How do you think people like Maxine Waters have been able to stay in office so long.

Excessive spending. We go big.

Limiting access to vote? Please elaborate. Beyond a person having to register, what's the limitation?

You can vote by mail here as well and we call them polling places and it's never taken me more than 10 minutes to vote and I live in a large city.

Oh, so you do have freedom of speech in the way we do? Check the other thread, and please list anything in the link that I posted that was incorrect. Thank you.

As for where I get my news sources, you couldn't be more wrong. But you seem pretty dead set.

https://www.thelocal.it/20180529/ma...e-for-the-right-thing-gunther-oettinger-italy

When the current President threatens "No, I will not allow the democratically elected party to take power, I will call for new elections." you do not have a leg to stand on. Not to mention how often "a new government is put in place" even before the last one was able to finish their terms. We may have had the imbeciles in Hollywood do that exact thing, but no administration has ever done that and the Constitution forbids it. Now they're trying to negate Trump's presidency with the BS Russia crap but it's gone nowhere and it continues to go nowhere. So the people are the same in all of our countries, it's our Constitution that separates us.
How about Spain last year where they didn't allow people the right to vote and even arrested a few that did? Yeah, great democracy.
How about you guys with Brexit. The people voted for it but it seems to have completely stalled.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/lobbying-parliament/

Corporate and Union money (let's be fair and equal with both left and right) is anything here in correct?

Gerrymandering. Redistricting is done by both parties, just the left loves to complain about it. How do you think people like Maxine Waters have been able to stay in office so long.

Limiting access to vote? Please elaborate. Beyond a person having to register, what's the limitation?

You can vote by mail here as well and we call them polling places and it's never taken me more than 10 minutes to vote and I live in a large city.

What does any of this have to do with import duty on foreign automobiles?

I'm not saying Europe is a perfect democracy. Far from it. All money needs to get out of politics in my opinion. But saying America is the only functioning democracy, and therefor implying Europe has no such thing, is a massive exaggeration and completely distorts reality. Our democracies have their problems, and yeah some big ones, but that's nothing compared to what is going on in America. As you say, you go big. And that's one of the problems. You can't compare lobbying on a local level for policies to the "lobbying" the NRA or the oil industry is doing, outright buying laws that benefit them financially.

"Political funding in the United Kingdom has been a source of controversy for many years." The first sentence in your link. It's not that we are ok with it. But you guys are on a completely different level.

But please, keep ignoring the problems of your "functioning democracy" and your leader by pointing out how bad everyone else is. That's always a sure way to solve problems.

Fun fact, Foxnews is actually the most "balanced" of the bunch, being that they are the only ones that have a show with a host that is openly on the opposite spectrum of the channel.
laughslap.gif

Absolutely nothing. We're partying over here dude.

I'm not saying Europe is a perfect democracy. Far from it. All money needs to get out of politics in my opinion. But saying America is the only functioning democracy, and therefor implying Europe has no such thing, is a massive exaggeration and completely distorts reality. Our democracies have their problems, and yeah some big ones, but that's nothing compared to what is going on in America. As you say, you go big. And that's one of the problems. You can't compare lobbying on a local level for policies to the "lobbying" the NRA or the oil industry is doing, outright buying laws that benefit them financially.

"Political funding in the United Kingdom has been a source of controversy for many years." The first sentence in your link. It's not that we are ok with it. But you guys are on a completely different level.

But please, keep ignoring the problems of your "functioning democracy" and your leader by pointing out how bad everyone else is. That's always a sure way to solve problems.

How about this, compared to what we have, much of Europe has a poorly functioning democracy. Once again, not because our people are naturally better, no our politicians are just as terrible as yours or the French or anybody else, it's simply because of a piece of paper. I have no issue admitting that I used the wrong wording. Now can you admit fault?

Compared to what is going on in America? How, because evil Trump. Sorry but things are going pretty damn well (not perfect) despite what CNN and BBC tell you 24/7.

I knew one of you guys was going to bring up the NRA. The NRA isn't a very big lobbying group.
https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s
The thing that makes them powerful is not money, it's that their members have a high turn out to vote, especially since new laws at the state level that are trying to remove and/or restrict our right (and yes it is a right). The left has made them out to be the boogeyman because they've never been to get widespread support from the NRA so they need to demonize them.

Now here's the fun part. I really don't care if a private entity gives money to lobby (well, I do but not that much). If the NRA received taxpayer money to fund it's lobbying, that is something I would have a major issue with. Much like how Planned Parenthood does. I don't really care about abortion (kind of lie because the left has turned pro-choice into pro-abortion which I'm against but that's a story for another time.) but when you get taxpayer money, then you use it to finance campaigns and lobbying efforts, that is wrong. The same way the UC (University of California) system does....all (or nearly all) towards democrats. That is the real corruption of the system, not the private firms.

Yeah, we are on a completely new level simply because there is a lot more at stake. I mean no offense, but to the world you're elections are pretty inconsequential when compared to ours. I mean, people like your Royal weddings and all but beyond that, nobody really cares about what goes on in the UK because it doesn't have a huge impact on anybody except the people in the UK.

As for pointing out how bad someone else's leader is, you're telling me you've never bad mouthed Trump? Hi pot, meet kettle.

Yes, I gave a reason for my statement. Am I wrong? Does MSNBC or CNN have a show with a host that is Pro-Trump or Conservative? Not saying FoxNews isn't biased, or not conservative. Just that are more balanced than the other two. Please prove me wrong and name the show. Thank you.

Does MSNBC or CNN have a show with a host that is Pro-Trump or Conservative?
I mean...do they really need to present someone as such? Whether ol' Shep there truly believes what he says notwithstanding, he's still a puppet pandering to those viewers who believe that everyone else is out to get them. That you're so compelled to bring him up demonstrates that you've swallowed the BS, and I think that's absolutely hilarious.

Now, I don't know if either MSNBC or CNN does this, as CNN is utter dross to which I'm unwilling to pay any attention, and NBC, as a network with all of its holdings, is third on my list ranking the big three and, as a result, just isn't on my radar.

Just that are more balanced than the other two.

Presenting a single individual as even a legitimate contradictory voice does not absolve a media outlet of bias-serving false reporting. The two tactics are only connected by the entity employing them.

Yes, I gave a reason for my statement. Am I wrong? Does MSNBC or CNN have a show with a host that is Pro-Trump or Conservative? Not saying FoxNews isn't biased, or not conservative. Just that are more balanced than the other two. Please prove me wrong and name the show. Thank you.

There are ways to have balanced and unbiased reporting without pretending that there are two equally legitimate sides to every issue. CNN poaching Cavuto or whatever wouldn't make them more balanced if Cavuto is still an idiot.

I mean...do they really need to present someone as such? Whether ol' Shep there truly believes what he says notwithstanding, he's still a puppet pandering to those viewers who believe that everyone else is out to get them. That you're so compelled to bring him up demonstrates that you've swallowed the BS, and I think that's absolutely hilarious.

Now, I don't know if either MSNBC or CNN does this, as CNN is utter dross to which I'm unwilling to pay any attention, and NBC, as a network with all of its holdings, is third on my list ranking the big three and, as a result, just isn't on my radar.

Presenting a single individual as even a legitimate contradictory voice does not absolve a media outlet of bias-serving false reporting. The two tactics are only connected by the entity employing them.

There are ways to have balanced and unbiased reporting without pretending that there are two equally legitimate sides to every issue. CNN poaching Cavuto or whatever wouldn't make them more balanced if Cavuto is still an idiot.

LOL. This is great. So the two of you just reaaaaallly don't want to admit that you are wrong.

Thank you for proving my point.

However, in case you wish to try again.

Do any of those two networks have a show with a host that is Pro-Trump and/or with a Conservative point of view. Yes or no? Nothing else is required.

How about this, compared to what we have, much of Europe has a poorly functioning democracy. Once again, not because our people are naturally better, no our politicians are just as terrible as yours or the French or anybody else, it's simply because of a piece of paper.

All countries have paper. The US isn’t the only country with a constitution.

In what way is democracy in the US better functioning than democracy in any of the European countries?

All countries have paper. The US isn’t the only country with a constitution.

In what way is democracy in the US better functioning than democracy in any of the European countries?
It's already been covered dude. Feel free to check out the posts. If you disagree, great, if not fine again.

Does MSNBC or CNN have a show with a host that is Pro-Trump or Conservative?

I presume you're looking for programs which pretend that Trump doesn't say or tweet the things he says and tweets. You'd have to go to Breitbart or Fox or InfoWars for that. They rarely call out his racism, insults, authoritarianism and uninformed behavior. Fortunately, the majority of the world's actual "press" does its job. They report what's happening. These are the ones he calls "fake news".

And you're maybe looking for the sources which don't report on the GOP's tax "reform" which guts the revenue of the Federal Government while giving huge tax cuts to the extraordinarily wealthy and attacks the health care system which ordinary Americans (such as myself) rely upon.

Or sources which fail to point out that Republican-governed states have poorer education, poorer health, poorer health care, more poverty, more crime, more gun deaths, more lynchings, more obesity, more teen pregnancies, more prisoners etc etc etc ***

Being "Pro-Trump or Conservative" means not holding our government accountable for their actual actions.

*** Source data: www.statemaster.com

So, while I do love these articles, as it brings more of the interesting stories to this site, removing the need for me to visit other sites, a lot of which I don't want to give a click because of their stupid click bait titles.

Can you guys please stop with the clickbait and just give the articles normal, news site worthy titles?

"Trump raises taxes on German luxury cars" works just as fine, if not better than this drivelous bait.

Please.

"Trump raises taxes on German luxury cars" works just as fine, if not better than this drivelous bait.
Except that's not true. He hasn't done that and, in fact, we don't even know he wants to.

And that's rather the point. A lot of the motoring sites are crawling over each other to say mental Trump hates Germans/Mercedes or whatever, but all we have is rumour from - quite reasonably - anonymous sources. Our article explains that, and our title has to be phrased as a question as a result.

A bit of a misinterpretation on my side, I saw some similarities with the steel and aluminium taxes going on.

I saw some similarities with the steel and aluminium taxes going on.
Indeed - and that certainly joins the evidence on the table that he probably wants to do it. Along with the two reported instances of him saying it in two different trade meetings on opposite sides of the Atlantic, 15 months apart.

Trump was also ruled in violation of free speech when he started blocking people on Twitter the criticized him.
I'm not sure whether that's correct. If the state hasn't punished anybody for the things they've said then it doesn't sound like a violation of free speech.
Some atrocious behaviour by the Spanish state occurred (in my opinion) but that description of it shows a lack of understanding.
Ths referendum did return a vote for leave but I don't see the process stalling in any respect other than in the sense that the UK government is now in an impossible situation. They're expected to negotiate the best result possible but the people voted for something that isn't that.
Quite. I look forward to reading all you guys ideas in the threads where I look for that kind of thing.

I'm not one to say whether it is or isn't, but US District Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald said he was in violation of the First Amendment: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/trump-cant-block-twitter-followers-federal-judge-says.html

Specifically the First Amendment rights of people blocked on the basis of their views from speaking in a public forum opened by POTUS. Note that the court has stopped short of ordering the unblocking so this judgement is more of a commentary. Part of the judgement hinges on the noted fact that Trump often announces things on Twitter that aren't formally reported elsewhere until later - but blocked users can't see those Very Huge Announcements or respond to them. That restricts 'a real, albeit narrow, slice of speech'.

Back