Does Monaco belong in Gran Turismo Sport?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Razamataz
  • 67 comments
  • 15,289 views

Does Monaco belong in Gran Turismo Sport?

  • Yes

    Votes: 143 77.3%
  • No

    Votes: 42 22.7%

  • Total voters
    185
Messages
284
United Kingdom
London
Messages
azzabry86
Monaco’s potential inclusion in Gran Turismo Sport seems somewhat controversial. With the Finals soon to take place in the principality itself there’s every chance it could return

Personally I’d love to see it come back. I appreciate a challenging circuit in the way Suzuka is. Not to mention it’s very photogenic and makes for a pleasant driving environment.

What are peoples thoughts?
 
Yes, but I think they should remodel the layout of the track a bit. My feeling of Monaco on GT in the past is that:

1) The track isn't tight enough, feels too wide.
2) Some turns just doesn't feel right compared to the real track in F1.
3) It's not bumpy enough in certain areas.
 
I’m fine with having it as long as they do track limits properly.
I mean, where can you honestly enforce track limits there? Only places where you can gain time is after the tunnel and after swimming pool, that’s it
 
I mean, where can you honestly enforce track limits there? Only places where you can gain time is after the tunnel and after swimming pool, that’s it

T1 pit exit, Nouvelle Chicane and swimming pool (Turn 16). Three massive advantages.

1024px-Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.svg.png
 
Yes, but I think they should remodel the layout of the track a bit. My feeling of Monaco on GT in the past is that:

1) The track isn't tight enough, feels too wide.
2) Some turns just doesn't feel right compared to the real track in F1.
3) It's not bumpy enough in certain areas.
The track that was in previous incarnations of GT was not Monaco, but a track based on Monaco and called Cote d'Azur.

It didn't need to be accurate as it wasn't the real track.
 
Did they ever give any reason why they went with the 2x sized Cote D'Azur in the ps3 gen? Licensing?

I mean I welcome it, I felt like the PS3 version was the best version of Monaco in any game ever but I think purists didnt like it.

The Toyota 7 and 2j was acceptable, manageable on plus sized Monaco... on real Monaco it would be mayhem.
 
Why would it be controversial? I think I missed that discussion.
Limited overtaking opportunities as per the real F1 race. If Tokyo Expressway is anything to go by I imagine it’s pretty easy to rack up accidental penalties here as well.
 
Well since the topic's here I'm all for Monaco being included in the game or it's fictional equivalent.

Despite it's difficulties when it comes to F1 and overtaking and penalty risks etc I think it is a very challenge street track and I think it
would be a lot of fun with road cars that are present in GT Sport.

It's not too much longer till Saturday's finals so I guess we will find out very soon if it's Monaco or somewhere else.
 
It would be a DR and SR killer, that's for sure.

I mean if Tokyo Expressway Central Loop is anything to go by, nobody will be able to race on that track with killing their ratings and getting penalties.

I'd stay very far away from it.
 
The track that was in previous incarnations of GT was not Monaco, but a track based on Monaco and called Cote d'Azur.

It didn't need to be accurate as it wasn't the real track.

I know, but it makes it less challenging and that's the main reason why Monaco is such a challenging track. Not only for barriers on both sides, but for example:

- Section between Casino and Mirabeau has that left side bump where cars avoid before going into Mirabeau
- Turning in Mirabeau lifts the right front wheel of the car.
- Turning in Grand Hotel hairpin lifts the left front wheel of the car.
- Section out of tunnel is blinding going from the darkness of the tunnel into full daylight.
- Section before the Nouvelle Chicane has a bump, which creates lift on the rear of the car. We often see cars slam into the wall when braking, because the rear starts to lift and the rear tires lose traction on the surface.

 
Yes to Monaco in any racing game.

Monaco, Spa, Suzuka, Monza, Silverstone.... All these should always be there.
Isn't Spa gonna be a bit tough to put in? Because it's too expensive?
 
The track that was in previous incarnations of GT was not Monaco, but a track based on Monaco and called Cote d'Azur.

It didn't need to be accurate as it wasn't the real track.
To be fair that track was better than Monaco as you could actually overtake
 
I know, but it makes it less challenging and that's the main reason why Monaco is such a challenging track. Not only for barriers on both sides, but for example:

- Section between Casino and Mirabeau has that left side bump where cars avoid before going into Mirabeau
- Turning in Mirabeau lifts the right front wheel of the car.
- Turning in Grand Hotel hairpin lifts the left front wheel of the car.
- Section out of tunnel is blinding going from the darkness of the tunnel into full daylight.
- Section before the Nouvelle Chicane has a bump, which creates lift on the rear of the car. We often see cars slam into the wall when braking, because the rear starts to lift and the rear tires lose traction on the surface.


Most of those would depend on the car.

With regard to the brightness coming out of the tunnel,
Sam Bird
Cameras aren't as good as the human eye, so our eyes adjust immediately in the tunnel.

The camera changes its exposure inside the tunnel, and it can't then cope when it comes back out.
 
I would expect a record setting number of DR and SR losses on that track. But I would love to race there.

It's on us to be faultless. That's the challenge. I mean PD's purpose of doing this is to mold us average/pro gamers into true racers with racing capabilities. Think about it. F1 drivers race here with speeds that we only can imagine and remain faultless, driving inches off the barriers and almost underneath the rear wing of the cars in front of them.
 
In earlier years of F1, the tunnel was lit poorly. That's where the understanding comes from that it creates difficulty for the drivers.
 
I would like it for hot lapping sessions and maybe some single player races. I think sport mode and lobby racing would be a **** show. Cars bouncing off of each other, smashing into the walls, using bumpers for brakes. I may be wrong though. Toyko East Outer Loop is one of my favorite tracks for FIA and daily race C and people say its bad for online racing
 
Limited overtaking opportunities as per the real F1 race. If Tokyo Expressway is anything to go by I imagine it’s pretty easy to rack up accidental penalties here as well.

I’d say it’s more similar to Mount Panorama than to Tokyo Expressway. It’s more technical, so it’s not a viable tactic to enter the corners at full speed in the same way it might be at Tokyo :P
 
Personally I am not a fan of most street circuits preferring purpose built race tracks. I think there are many tracks that would be better to be included but we get what PD gives.

This can be another Tokyo in my opinion, A track I never use. no big deal either way.
 
Last edited:
I think it could be a decent track to race on with small and slow N-class cars, but with race cars it would either be boring or a penalty nightmare.

PD has added plenty of small and slow N-class cars through DLC, so with the above opinion in mind, I think Monaco does have a place in this game, including in Sport Mode, if (and this is a big if) PD can choose suitable cars to race on it and track limits are enforced.
 
The major hairpin and chicane are so late in the track that the lineup is usually thinned out before entering them anyways. Sure there are walls but the first complex of turns are relatively easy enough before the track gets hairy. I don't think it would be a problematic as everyone thinks it will be.
 
Only if they put barriers up at the chicane like they did in previous games. I can make up some places by driving round the inevitable pile-ups.
 
Back