Does Monaco belong in Gran Turismo Sport?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Razamataz
  • 67 comments
  • 15,289 views

Does Monaco belong in Gran Turismo Sport?

  • Yes

    Votes: 143 77.3%
  • No

    Votes: 42 22.7%

  • Total voters
    185
city tracks are under-represented and have a bad reputation. Monaco will either
  • enforce that bad rep
  • be awesome
The fact that it's free is a plus, i guess.:lol:
 
Did they ever give any reason why they went with the 2x sized Cote D'Azur in the ps3 gen? Licensing?

I mean I welcome it, I felt like the PS3 version was the best version of Monaco in any game ever but I think purists didnt like it.

The Toyota 7 and 2j was acceptable, manageable on plus sized Monaco... on real Monaco it would be mayhem.

I think there has been a philosophy change at PD when it comes to tracks. Other than a few exceptions, GT5P/5/6's tracks were designed to allow clean overtaking opportunities, within the skill level limits of the average racer. I somehow feel this didn't offer as much contact opportunity as it could have, and if there's anything the modern gamer seems to want, it is mayhem!

Hence the new generation of tracks. Compare R246 to GTS's Tokyo... In fact, IMHO most of GTS's new fantasy tracks are designed more for contact and conflict than for clean skillful passing opportunities.

Particularly with the FIA's involvement, I think any modern Monaco (Cote d'Azur, whatever... who gives a 🤬 what it's called!) is likely to be as narrow as the real one. And that is NOT going to lead to it being worth a damn for clean racing in this game.

Exactly as PD seem to like it!
 
I’m fine with having it as long as they do track limits properly.
Monaco is so narrow I wonder how many track limits there would be aside from maybe the curb at the Grand Hotel/Fairmont hairpin and the Nouvelle Chicane, which in previous GT games had a barrier anyway.
 
In the case of GT Sport, if anything it would be a novelty track, the likes of which should be the least of PD's priorities when adding new tracks to the game. Would be great for open lobbies (especially since we have two F1 machines) but terrible in Sport Mode.

Short answer: No. If PD wants to add city tracks in the game, a better pick would be SS Route 5, Circuito de Madrid, or Tokyo R246.
 
Well as long as it's a new track I welcome it and in the case of Monaco, I welcome it.

With the low N-class cars this should be fun. As for race cars, I'd say only Gr.4 class cars would benefit from this since they're not as fast as the Gr.3-Gr.1 cars.

But regardless, I don't mind Monaco. Same goes for every track they added.
 
RBR x2014 standard around monaco.

Sport and League mode race.
 
Hence the new generation of tracks. Compare R246 to GTS's Tokyo... In fact, IMHO most of GTS's new fantasy tracks are designed more for contact and conflict than for clean skillful passing opportunities.
You mentioned one location of GTS here. I think all variants of Lago Maggiore, Kyoto, Dragon Trail, St. Croix, Alsace, BMB Infields offer more than enough clean passing opportunities.
 
Where is the best spot for the penalty zone?

Probably on the front straight, right before the Start/Finish line.:sly:
 
Only if they do the 1960s version.

If they do put it in, it had better look like a Driveclub track in terms of detail. Given the existing tracks in GTS, I'm not sure they can pull it off.
 
T1 pit exit, Nouvelle Chicane and swimming pool (Turn 16). Three massive advantages.

1024px-Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.svg.png

Not sure I agree about Piscine:

upload_2018-11-14_1-10-36.png


Frankly if you've driven the GR.3 cars through the Chicane at Dragon Trail Seaside, you know that there is really no "Cutting". You either nail it or you die. Same goes for this first portion, which has even smaller curbs. And as for the second portion, you might think there is little consequence in cutting except for one thing:

upload_2018-11-14_1-14-38.png


See that yellow line right next to the yellow sausage curb there? That is also a Curb. Despite it seeming smaller then the big one, that is guaranteed to wreck your car should you try to skip that as it'll still launch your car. There's also the question of you trying to stop the car before it hits the wall should you do, which I don't see given the little room you have to even set up such a cut. I'd argue you wouldn't even need a track limit there just because of how little it would actually help. In fact it would hurt you more if anything.
 
It's a ridiculous circuit in real life and has no place in motorsport. It's only reason for it's continued inclusion in F1 is money. I'm no fan of these modern circuits that keep popping up, the Tilkedromes, but they are at least suited to all genres of racing rather than being there for a romantic, nostalgic throwback. It will be the first real world circuit i wont welcome to the game.
 
It's a ridiculous circuit in real life and has no place in motorsport. It's only reason for it's continued inclusion in F1 is money. I'm no fan of these modern circuits that keep popping up, the Tilkedromes, but they are at least suited to all genres of racing rather than being there for a romantic, nostalgic throwback. It will be the first real world circuit i wont welcome to the game.
So true about the money. I heard Lewis Hamilton has discussed with the Prince the possibility of new layouts. Maybe it’s time to “burn it the ground” and start afresh? I wonder what would be even possible?
 
It's a ridiculous circuit in real life and has no place in motorsport. It's only reason for it's continued inclusion in F1 is money. I'm no fan of these modern circuits that keep popping up, the Tilkedromes, but they are at least suited to all genres of racing rather than being there for a romantic, nostalgic throwback. It will be the first real world circuit i wont welcome to the game.

I disagree wholeheartedly. It has been the home of many dramatic race weekends. Yes it is nigh impossible to overtake, but to drive on the limit, while avoiding bumps and the barricades in the beautifull scenery is a staple in racing. It also provides some welcome variation from purpose built circuits.

Thats said, in GT championship the chaos it potentially delivers is only benefitial to the neutral viewer. Pit strategies, undercuts, crashes, DQ's, penalties imagine all the drama?
 
No better dev team to replicate class and glamour than PD
Just thinking back here, did the GT5 rendition of Monaco feature crowds or was it a fairly soulless affair?

Totally agree with you though, if there's developer that can add that touch of class it's Polyphony.
 
Monaco is so narrow I wonder how many track limits there would be aside from maybe the curb at the Grand Hotel/Fairmont hairpin and the Nouvelle Chicane, which in previous GT games had a barrier anyway.

Turn 1/pit exit is defintely one of them. It’s all paved and the curbs are low so you can drive over that without losing any momentum. In the F1 games you can cut that and gain a bunch of time going up the hill. The way PD does track limits, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same in GTS.

Two other spots cna be cut significantly with no loss of time unless there are barriers up. That being said though, I still really want a proper street circuit in GTS.

If people think Monaco is bad, just imagine if they added Macau. :lol:
 
Last edited:
by the way, i'm more excited about the possible time settings for monaco. I really hope they add some gorgeous sunset/sunrise settings, i get bored quickly of the same 10:30/12:00 setting they slap everywhere in sport and campaign mode.
 
Just thinking back here, did the GT5 rendition of Monaco feature crowds or was it a fairly soulless affair?

Totally agree with you though, if there's developer that can add that touch of class it's Polyphony.

I don't doubt that PD has the level of artistic taste to pull it off, I just doubt that the GTS engine can handle what's necessary for that level of scene detail and remain at 60fps.
 
You mentioned one location of GTS here. I think all variants of Lago Maggiore, Kyoto, Dragon Trail, St. Croix, Alsace, BMB Infields offer more than enough clean passing opportunities.

TBH, of the new fantasy tracks, the only one I'm big on is Alsace. Probably because it isn't ruined by yards-wide runoff areas, and few clog points. It reminds me of a GT6 type track more than any other.

And the point I was making was comparing city tracks (seeing as we are discussing Monaco), of which GTS doesn't have ONE that isn't so much a smashfest, no-one will drive it that cares about their rating. R246, SSR5, Rome and Madrid offered quite excellent clean racing, and only London had what I'd call the 'new' track philosophy.

But then again, that was back in the days before we all decided that an automated stewarding system was better than actual hosts who would actually kick the dirty drivers! So maybe my experience in clean or kick rooms in GT5/6 has colored my impression of those tracks... Who knows, under Sport Mode's 'anything goes if you can get away with it' approach, maybe those old GT6 city tracks would have been just as hated?!

I think the question, with regard to Monaco, is will the FIA allow PD to certify this track without paying the Principality the money that they no doubt want? There's a reason it has always been called Cote D'Azure, and it always revolved around the track not being licensed. The FIA might find themselves in the middle of something ugly if they endorse a track in the game, but it circumvents paying the actual track owners the money they are supposed to by changing the name, when they use the actual circuit for actual FIA races.

PC2 also does a pretty accurate Monaco, calls it Azure Circuit, but has no FIA tie-in. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.
 
Last edited:
It's a mainstay of the Formula 1 calender, so of course it belongs in GT. It's fairly unique, it's storied. It's where Senna really showed his potential in the Toleman. I love Monaco.
 
Just for those corner cutting Top10 scrubs, it would be awesome if we had a city track like this.
 
Just for those corner cutting Top10 scrubs, it would be awesome if we had a city track like this.

If Monaco was added, and it was a replica of the modern Monaco, or it was licensed, then you will still have corner cutting/track extending etc
 
VXR
It's a mainstay of the Formula 1 calender, so of course it belongs in GT. It's fairly unique, it's storied. It's where Senna really showed his potential in the Toleman. I love Monaco.

I think some GT players can make a massive difference in these kinds of circuits, because of the way they drive and attack corners. Also it would be very interesting regarding manufacturers. You might be blasting past Porsches on Circuit de la Sarthe in your Mustang, but then in return you might get doubled by a Porsche in the streets of Monaco.
 
Love city tracks. Think they should add more

This.

All these tracks in nature, but only one city location, Tokyo. I love me some GT4 Paris and Citta di Aria and GT5 London. GT Sport needs tracks like these.
 
Back