Does this count as Duping/Cheating?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sporkafife
  • 51 comments
  • 4,598 views
I'm on a 5 per day Matte Black duping period. Restricting the amount of times you can paint a car a certain colour is just plain daft. I could understand (to some extent) 'collecting' the colours first before you could choose it, but the use once scenario is stupid. Imagine if you could only look at your museum cards once?

You'd think if there was going to be any area of the game that had a use once and then dispose element it would be tyres. Infinite tyres - if only in real life.
 
I'm on a 5 per day Matte Black duping period. Restricting the amount of times you can paint a car a certain colour is just plain daft.

Whats the limit?
 
Can i go: "Send me one please!!!!!!:bowdown:" too?

Damn it i've been looking for chrome for a long time :nervous:

Call me a hypocrit, but I'll join in on this

Can I has a chrome please?


I'd wait myself, but frankly im at 300 or close to it cars, and no chromes, so yeah.
 
I do this all the time with any colours I like. I have the chrome since I got 90 cars, I just quit the game when I didn't get chrome as the prize, and every time I loaded the game up it gave me a different colour, it only took two tries.
 
Duplicating a paint by sending cars back and forth is part of the game. It's not a trick, it's part of the game design and has limitations - one car a day means one paint chip per day.

Duplicating cars and paints using the game-save-backup-restore trick is abuse of the game's design. That was not the inteded purpose of the backup. That doesn't stop me from using that trick for duplicating, but it gives me no advantage. I only started after I was around level 25 A and B spec and had the Formula Gran Turismo. All it really lets me do is add to my garage of cars I really like so I can drive whatever I want online. It also doesn't help financially in the game. The highest selling car I've seen sold for 112,500 (I think it was the Zonda C12) So, will I go through the hassle of duplicating one car per day for that money, or will I run a 5 lap race at Indy in my NASCAR #99 in the American championship and get 108,000? I'll do the Indy event, as I can do it as many times per day as I have time for.
 
The only issue I see with duping is because you CAN'T downgrade a car to compete in a lobby of lower requirements online than you have upgraded to. Duping allows you to have stock cars, AND a variety of upgrade levels for every car in your racing garage. You can now enter more lobbies with a car that is spec'ed as close to the maximum as possible, without overshooting it. You can also have multiple tunes of the same car, to give you quick and easy setup for a variety of track types for races with soon to start green flags.

That, IMO, gives the duper the only advantage that affects other people.

Paint chips? Please! Who cares?

But to say that duping doesn't affect anyone is to ignore the above.
 
I don't have a problem with duping when its for more or less personal/backup use.

I've duped a couple of my most used online cars to another account for the purpose of having them backed up in case my main save gets corrupted, I don't find it cheating as I don't use the account as anything more then this "Sub Garage". I could just continously backup my main save, but that would seem more like a waste of space to me.

Once you take all five billion duped cars and then give them away for nothing, demand no miles, or get rid of X1's to terrible drivers who went through no effort to learn to drive them, it becomes a communal problem. Now people who want to trade properly, losing a car to gain a car, can't, because at least one person won't actually lose a car. And next to nobody can trade a car with any miles on it whatsoever.


Edit: I also really could care less about paint chips, but I do want a chrome so I'm going to add kuyaglen to psn and ask nicely ;.;
 
I don't have a problem with duping when its for more or less personal/backup use.

I've duped a couple of my most used online cars to another account for the purpose of having them backed up in case my main save gets corrupted, I don't find it cheating as I don't use the account as anything more then this "Sub Garage". I could just continously backup my main save, but that would seem more like a waste of space to me.

The main game save is only a few hundred kb's. You put it on a USB stick, leave the stick hanging on a USB hub permanently, and backup at the end of each session (which will, if you OK it, replace the previous backup).

You want to get REALLY anal about it, you could use TWO sticks, just in case the PS3 AND your #1 stick both corrupt (pretty damn unlikely), and only back up stick #2 once a week, or when you achieve a major milestone, but that's really pushing it!

Takes a minute or so at the end of each session.

No need to dupe if you do this, and you feel a little 'cleaner' at the end of the day!
 
The main game save is only a few hundred kb's. You put it on a USB stick, leave the stick hanging on a USB hub permanently, and backup at the end of each session (which will, if you OK it, replace the previous backup).

You want to get REALLY anal about it, you could use TWO sticks, just in case the PS3 AND your #1 stick both corrupt (pretty damn unlikely), and only back up stick #2 once a week, or when you achieve a major milestone, but that's really pushing it!

Takes a minute or so at the end of each session.

No need to dupe if you do this, and you feel a little 'cleaner' at the end of the day!


My only USB device with storage is my PSP GO! which sees heavy use. I know I shouldn't be anal over my SD card since it can take millions of read/writes but I really am pretty anal about it ;.;

I know I'd feel cleaner doing it that way, but until I can afford even the few dollars to get myself a thumb drive I have to do it the long, yucky way.
 
You can also have multiple tunes of the same car, to give you quick and easy setup for a variety of track types for races with soon to start green flags.

What's stopping a non duper from having multiple tunes?

Also don't forget the number of cars you have online is limited. Duping does not more good than hosting a room and trying to make your car the best, or only entering rooms that fit your cars exactly.

Once you take all five billion duped cars and then give them away for nothing, demand no miles, or get rid of X1's to terrible drivers who went through no effort to learn to drive them, it becomes a communal problem. Now people who want to trade properly, losing a car to gain a car, can't, because at least one person won't actually lose a car. And next to nobody can trade a car with any miles on it whatsoever.

Giving away for nothing is not a problem at all, and PD seemingly encourages it since they called the feature gifting. Demanding 0 miles means nothing either, why would only dupers ask for such a thing? I've duped 5,000,000,000 X1's for trade or just to give away, I've never asked for 0 mile cars. I can see why people would however, as some of the cars I traded for needed engine and chassis rebuild.

And nothing is stopping regular trading. If you want to lose your car in a trade [I don't get this at all], go ahead, just don't dupe.
 
What's stopping a non duper from having multiple tunes?

Er.... the cost? If you want multiple identical cars with only a tune different, unless you dupe, you have to BUY THEM. As in, grind daily for the money...

Same with identical cars except for their upgrade level. Got to grind forever to be able to do that with a decent selection of cars.

Of course, PD could fix this issue in a flash, by returning the detuning options that USED to be on older GT games, and allowing saveable tuning presets.

But I guess that's just too hard :rolleyes:

You know, most of the exploiting of this game is as a response to just how poorly designed it is. If PD hadn't dropped the very features that made cheating the game rarer in older games, they wouldn't be so prevalent now.

And, to return to the OP, I agree that, if you buy tires ONCE and get to use them as many times as you want, buy a paint chip (or earn it, anyway), you should be able to use it to paint as many cars as you want. Once again, duping is simply a response to how STUPID the game is...
 
Er.... the cost? If you want multiple identical cars with only a tune different, unless you dupe, you have to BUY THEM. As in, grind daily for the money...
Paper and pen, keyboard and printer, and memory do the same job without taking your car slots. It would honestly be a waste of time to dupe a car just for tunes. And you'd need to spend 5 minutes trying to figure out which car is for what track since only color, hp, and weight can identify them in the car select screen.

Same with identical cars except for their upgrade level. Got to grind forever to be able to do that with a decent selection of cars.

Excluding weight reduction and engine tuning, just change parts. Like above, duping to do this (excluding the exceptions) actually just makes thing harder and more complicated.

Once again, duping is simply a response to how STUPID the game is...

Partially. I know that I would pretty much dupe no matter what. Online is simply the best experience you can get from GT. Unlocking a car has no worth in my eyes. I've played GT Modes in the past and I've also used cheat codes and played sims without unlocks. I have a strong preference for the latter in games where there is nothing to progress, like GT. The only real progression that makes unlocking logical is a game with a story IMO. Even then, if the story mode is awful and you just want to play online, there's no reason that you should have to play the story.
 
Paper and pen, keyboard and printer, and memory do the same job without taking your car slots. It would honestly be a waste of time to dupe a car just for tunes. And you'd need to spend 5 minutes trying to figure out which car is for what track since only color, hp, and weight can identify them in the car select screen.

You are discounting that it takes TIME you may not have to input all the parameters. Online tends to start faster than you have time to go and make all the adjustments. As PD won't give us nameable tuning presets, this is all we have. Paper and pen? In the 21st century? PLEASE!

Excluding weight reduction and engine tuning, just change parts. Like above, duping to do this (excluding the exceptions) actually just makes thing harder and more complicated.

But weight reduction and engine upgrades (not just tuning) are all of great influence on the car's performance, in fact, some of the primary influences. And, once again, taking off all those upgrades takes TIME you may not have before a race starts.

Partially. I know that I would pretty much dupe no matter what. Online is simply the best experience you can get from GT. Unlocking a car has no worth in my eyes. I've played GT Modes in the past and I've also used cheat codes and played sims without unlocks. I have a strong preference for the latter in games where there is nothing to progress, like GT. The only real progression that makes unlocking logical is a game with a story IMO. Even then, if the story mode is awful and you just want to play online, there's no reason that you should have to play the story.

Online may be the best you can currently get out of GT5, but that is still incredibly nerfed compared to earlier GT's, and most of the objections to offline come from how miserly they were with A-Spec (see my sig). Possibly you are already a GREAT driver, but I see the offline game as a trainer and filter for utter noobs and guys that need an intro into GT5's physics and handling (especially new stuff like wet driving and night time) which might be more of us than you care to admit. But without this filter, you are going to be up against basher kids with duped garages and every car class you can think of. Personally, for me, online is all about getting AWAY from people like that, and I see duping as one more way PD have made this difficult.
 
Last I looked, this thread was about duping paint chips.

Nothing else.

We already have the car-duping discussion elsewhere.

-

And no begging for paint chips in the thread, please... we have the Market for that...

-

Yes, strange that you can use tires infinitely (would be tickled pink to see what would happen if you had to discard and buy new tires after every 10-15 laps)... while paint chips are limited to one use.

In real life, you get a paint chip or sample, you can use it to order paint mixed to the same specification over and over and over again.

Then again, in real life, metallic paints cost more... and color-shifts cost an arm and a leg.
 

*snip*
Then again, in real life, metallic paints cost more... and color-shifts cost an arm and a leg.

Which is a lot when you earn your money racing.
 
I'd wait myself, but frankly im at 300 or close to it cars, and no chromes, so yeah.

I got my first silver chrome after 400+ cars. Then I got a 1000 Ticket for grinding which was an F430, I gave it to the only person on my friends list who was on GT5 at the time for free, I didn't want anything in return, I just thought I'd spread the wealth as I didn't need two F430s (I barely even need one). I logged back in the next day and he'd sent me silver chrome and four mattes, which was amazing.

On topic; No one cares about paints, really, and barely anyone cares about duping cars anymore. Dupe away, though there is a quicker way to do it and that would be to use the dupe exploit with secondary accounts, that way you could get 5 a day per secondary account, right?
 
Back