Don’t make it to the GT Academy? Don’t worry

• Thread starter kart.no.38
  • 88 comments
Ok guys. I want as much feedback from this as I can.

Take it easy :)
It is great to have another enthused driver here:tup:

If you don't make it this year, you will definitely make it next year with your DRIVE and WILLPOWER.
If you have just started playing GT6 then KUDOS for your times looks very promising.

If you want to improve next year you should:
1. Practice sports cars with low grip tyres as much as possible (abs 0)
2. Run Time Trials
3. Find a good group who is faster than you and can push you out of your comfort zone.

Good Luck with your project:cheers:

Cb
Take it easy :)
It is great to have another enthused driver here:tup:

If you don't make it this year, you will definitely make it next year with your DRIVE and WILLPOWER.
If you have just started playing GT6 then KUDOS for your times looks very promising.

If you want to improve next year you should:
1. Practice sports cars with low grip tyres as much as possible (abs 0)
2. Run Time Trials
3. Find a good group who is faster than you and can push you out of your comfort zone.

Good Luck with your project:cheers:

Looks like you're using a remote control Alex, it will be super tough to get into the top 100 with joy sticks.

From what I can see on your YT lap you're trying to carry way too much speed going into the corner. Rather slow it down on entry so that you can get on the power sooner. Also you're missing way too many apexes for a good lap. You need to go back to basics and focus on your markers. First issue is apexes, second issue is too much speed going in.

I just signed up after reading this so I can thank you! I've been trying to compete in GtA for about two years now, and honestly I always get discouraged at the times that are being posted; not to mention the top replays seem so godlike lol! I'm hovering around the 4000 mark for Rd 2, but it's much much better than when I first started. Reading this reinvigorates me to continue to pursue my racing dream; whether it's through GtA or drifting (Grassroots, to ProAm to hopefully Formula D), I'll get there. I run a business too! I'm a restaurant owner/chef, so I am pretty wiped out once I get home lol. So I feel like I can relate to you in a way. Thank you for posting this. Your post is a good reminder that there are other avenues to the racing world than just GT Academy alone.

I just signed up after reading this so I can thank you! I've been trying to compete in GtA for about two years now, and honestly I always get discouraged at the times that are being posted; not to mention the top replays seem so godlike lol! I'm hovering around the 4000 mark for Rd 2, but it's much much better than when I first started. Reading this reinvigorates me to continue to pursue my racing dream; whether it's through GtA or drifting (Grassroots, to ProAm to hopefully Formula D), I'll get there. I run a business too! I'm a restaurant owner/chef, so I am pretty wiped out once I get home lol. So I feel like I can relate to you in a way. Thank you for posting this. Your post is a good reminder that there are other avenues to the racing world than just GT Academy alone.

Practice makes perfect Nikko. 1 hour every day. Even if it's at 11pm at night. Every. Day. No excuses ;)

Looks like you're using a remote control Alex, it will be super tough to get into the top 100 with joy sticks.

From what I can see on your YT lap you're trying to carry way too much speed going into the corner. Rather slow it down on entry so that you can get on the power sooner. Also you're missing way too many apexes for a good lap. You need to go back to basics and focus on your markers. First issue is apexes, second issue is too much speed going in.
I use a wheel

Ok I know I missed a lot of Apexs. I am just pushing too hard. I never drive that crazy normally. Thanks for the help.

The only problem though is my wallet, or I would have been racing in real life by now, but it just seems that only people with an unreasonable amount of money are able to get into auto racing which is highly disappointing.
This pretty much. Not everyone has the coin to fork out for their own racing adventure, so they depend on their GT skills and Nissan/Sony to get them there. (which in the long run is probably much easier) The sad reality these days is that most racing drivers actually pay to be in a race car unless they are VERY good.

This pretty much. Not everyone has the coin to fork out for their own racing adventure, so they depend on their GT skills and Nissan/Sony to get them there. (which in the long run is probably much easier) The sad reality these days is that most racing drivers actually pay to be in a race car unless they are VERY good.

Yep, even things like karting, if you want to compete at a national level you'll need £10,000's, and then doing a national level car series you'll start getting into budgets of £100,000+ a season. :(

@R1600Turbo and @Spurgy 777

Guys I have bad news, the reality of racing is that 99% of the time you have to bring money regardless of ability. The more I'm exposed to the top levels in racing the more I realise it to be true.

Last year I raced at the Super Trofeo World Finals in Sepang. My co-driver was Mirko Bortolotti. He is an F2 Champion, ex-Ferrari F1, ex-Williams F1 and ex-Torro Rosso F1 test driver. It goes without saying that he's world class... but guess what? He had to pay for his drive last year with Lamborghini. Only this year (2015) is he now being paid by Lamborghini to race.

My team mates in the other car were Milos Pavlovic and Edoardo Piscopo. Both of them ex-GP2 drivers and one of the an ex-Ferrari F1 test driver... guess what? They paid to race.

The fact of the matter is that as aspiring racing drivers we all need to accept the reality that in order to get to where we want to be involves money - bucket loads of it. The lucky few make it through the Academy and I am proof that being the fastest isn't necessarily a ticket. So you have a choice, either you make that money yourself or your find a sponsor.

Neither route is easy but that's the point, how much do you believe in your own ability? If you believe in it enough then you should be spending every waking minute trying to raise that money. That is what I did. I moved a couch in front of my desk and I'd work 20 hours a day non-stop. Every penny I earned, I saved.

Then at the end of last year, I got on the phone and started cold calling every team which had a website. Eventually a team called Eurotech said yes BUT it was going to cost 15,000 euro for one race. I had saved 12,000 euro... so I was 3k short but I made a plan, borrowed from whom I could and that bet paid off. But it was a 5 year bet, not one or two days of trying.

@kart.no.38 Not sure why you got the impression that we didn't already know what it takes to get into racing when that was the point we were making, but yes, money is more important than talent when it comes to getting into racing.

Apologies for my tone there Spurgy, just had so many of my fellow karters throw the "woe-is-me" line about money. I overreacted!

On the subject of karting, I discovered the other day that to race in the WSK series, in the KF1 class, costs 15,000 euros. Just insane.

99% of the time you have to bring money" so if you win the academy is it COMPLETLY paid for? For example Jann mardenborough races gp3 etc is this all COMPLETLY funded. Plus he is an employee of Nissan will he earn a salary?

99% of the time you have to bring money" so if you win the academy is it COMPLETLY paid for? For example Jann mardenborough races gp3 etc is this all COMPLETLY funded. Plus he is an employee of Nissan will he earn a salary?

I think the GT Academy guys are fully funded.

Hey Josh, can't help but notice the Nissan racing suit in your profile pic. Are you racing for them at the moment?

No unfortunately mate. That is my personal suit which I had made up like my GT Academy suit from Silverstone. Nissan Aus told me they were going to support me and go racing but that isn't happening anymore. Luckily my suit is screen printed because it will be coming off shortly!

Racing Production cars at the moment here mate which is something.

I loved your video mate, awesome stuff. And a big congratulations for all that you have achieved to now.

Check out my website for my test of a GT3 Gallardo last year. first time driving the car and track and was only 1 second slower than the car owner. awesome experience!

www.joshmuggleton.com

100% correct. they are NISMO Athlete's therefore Nissan Factory drivers. They have paid drives and earn a salary

Really!? That's the first I've ever heard of GTA winners actually getting a salary.. It seems to be a touchy subject when people have asked GTA winners..

They seem to give the impression it's more a 'life expenses paid' situation.. Rent and financial commitments etc
That is only when they are doing the Driver Development Program in Silverstone.

Once they become full blown NISMO Athlete's (if offered after the Dubai 24hrs), then they are on salary

Back