Don’t make it to the GT Academy? Don’t worry

• Thread starter kart.no.38
  • 88 comments
Well they can't not have a salary, being a winner is a full time job.

If they spend over £1 million on Jann in a season I'am sure they can find a living wage for him its a small part of the budget for a seasons racing.

Do you know if Chris Hoy pays to play or is he a proper member of Nismo?

If they spend over £1 million on Jann in a season I'am sure they can find a living wage for him its a small part of the budget for a seasons racing.

Do you know if Chris Hoy pays to play or is he a proper member of Nismo?

I suspect he pays to play

great read and good luck in your career mate. has anyone who lost at the GT academy international finals every recieved a racing contract? or atleast if you're looking for one does it help?

Just logged on to answer this question. Yes, there have been losers that went on to race on their own. I only know of one though because he raced in one of my favorite series. Sean Johnston is his name, and he raced in the IMSA Porsche 911 GT3 Cup series a few years back. I'm not sure if was just handed a contract (I'm 99% certain he had to gather the funds to run), but I'm certain his GT Academy background did help in some way or another.

Sorry just wanted to get that out there. Good luck to you guys running.

Just logged on to answer this question. Yes, there have been losers that went on to race on their own. I only know of one though because he raced in one of my favorite series. Sean Johnston is his name, and he raced in the IMSA Porsche 911 GT3 Cup series a few years back. I'm not sure if was just handed a contract (I'm 99% certain he had to gather the funds to run), but I'm certain his GT Academy background did help in some way or another.

Sorry just wanted to get that out there. Good luck to you guys running.

Sean worked very hard to get where he is. He wondered through the pits at an ALMS (or similiar) round promoting himself and getting his name out there and gained a few backers and sponsors from that which lead to him ending up in the Porsche Supercup. That and also working very hard to gain his own sponsors

Apologies for my tone there Spurgy, just had so many of my fellow karters throw the "woe-is-me" line about money. I overreacted!

On the subject of karting, I discovered the other day that to race in the WSK series, in the KF1 class, costs 15,000 euros. Just insane.
15,000 a season or a race? If you spend €15,000 a season in wsk you might as well do one lap in quali and give up in the race, no way will you ever get near the mid pack spending that much.

Kart.no.38. Usually people with possible champ potential try to keep their discoveries a secret to gain some sort of edge. I want to commend you for not only your personal pursuits and victories but also for sharing your discoveries with all of us. I feel an overwhelming sense of motivation to push further. Thank you.

Last edited:
Kart.no.38. Usually people with possible champ potential try to keep their discoveries a secret to gain some sort of edge. I want to commend you for not only your personal pursuits and victories but also for sharing your discoveries with all of us. I feel an overwhelming sense of motivation to push further. Thank you.

Thanks Chip, I hope to share as much as I can with everyone :)

You are an inspiration to me, I have always wanted to race, but I don't know what would be a good path to take and what would be a good starting point? I'm 16 by the way.

You are an inspiration to me, I have always wanted to race, but I don't know what would be a good path to take and what would be a good starting point? I'm 16 by the way.

The best place to start is in Karting. It takes a lot of effort and dedication (and talent) to be successful in karts and is an awesome proving ground. You'll quickly find out if it's really what you want to do :)

I started the year I turned 15 so as long as you're not wanting to get to F1, you still have time to become a racing driver.

The best place to start is in Karting. It takes a lot of effort and dedication (and talent) to be successful in karts and is an awesome proving ground. You'll quickly find out if it's really what you want to do :)

I started the year I turned 15 so as long as you're not wanting to get to F1, you still have time to become a racing driver.
I want to get into endurance racing anyway. :lol: How expensive was it at first when you got into Karting?

I want to get into endurance racing anyway. :lol: How expensive was it at first when you got into Karting?

It was not cheap but karting is the cheapest form of starting out in motorsport (of course costs escalate just like any formula but in terms of minimum starting budget... no better place). Don't buy new equipment, start with pre-owned stuff and only spend major $$ when you're confident that you'll improve. I raced with 2nd hand equipment for about 1.5 years before upgrading.

I also think the best class to start in is the Rotax Max Challenge. At your age you'd probably go straight into the "senior max" which is incredibly competitive and an awesome experience.

Good luck for your racing career @kart.no.38 just read your opening post and it seems all your hard work has paid off 👍 also long time no see!... it has been ages since I saw your username show up on GTP, all the best for your future events and keep pushing for more 👍

Cheers Ron. :cheers:

Congrats for your hard work! This is very inspirational. I remember your PSN tag very well and it is nice to see what you've done. Subscribed!

Good luck in your future events!

hello. awesome to see this post, i know the fight its not over, im already 33th on my country, but its hard!, i was wondering if i should stop if i cant make it, i was thinking of selling my g27 and ps3 after gtacademy, i still hope to make it to finals, anyway, i think i should keep improving my driving with the wheel and rfactor,gt6...

thanks bro!, ill keep pushing, and i will find my way!

This was really inspiring. I am in the same situation as you are. Since I live in Puerto Rico I can't compete in GT Academy 2015. However sadly here we don't really have racing leagues that can really get me anywhere. So I'd still have no luck if I ever try to go for a pro racing league. :lol:

This was really inspiring. I am in the same situation as you are. Since I live in Puerto Rico I can't compete in GT Academy 2015. However sadly here we don't really have racing leagues that can really get me anywhere. So I'd still have no luck if I ever try to go for a pro racing league. :lol:

I know of two racing drivers in Italy who used their savings to move to a place where they could start racing. It is possible, just not easy (at all)! :)

The best way to prove it is with hard work Alex. There cannot be a single day where you don't do laps. Even when I wasn't racing for Lamborghini I was practicing every single day on GT5/6 and running at least 5km. It's not just about talent but also the hard work you put into it.

Even though you're 530th in this years challenge that doesn't mean you should stop. Try you best to get 529th, then 520th, then 499th. Small steps at a time :)

I ended up ranking 381st in GT Academy

Hey mate, so after funding your first race, are you still continuing to pay per round? Loving the videos.

I got a chance to drive a Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini LP550 a few weeks back, but definitely preferred the Lamborghini!

Hey mate, so after funding your first race, are you still continuing to pay per round? Loving the videos.

I got a chance to drive a Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini LP550 a few weeks back, but definitely preferred the Lamborghini!
Why wqs the lamborghini your preference? Im just curious since you drove both.

Just my personal preference. The Ferrari you have to rev much harder to get up and go. I preferred the feel in the lambo, and found the Ferrari just a tad to twitchy for my liking. Also, the Ferrari interior felt really outdated, even though the car was only 6 years old. If your spending a few $100k on a car, you get to be picky ;)

I do love the Lamborghini note, but I know others who love the high rev'ing Ferrari. So ultimately its all about what you like. Both cars are still quite amazing, and would be a blast on any circuit.

Hey mate, yea I am still paying but it's considerably less than my initial payment. Having spoken to an almost endless amount of teams I can tell you that paying up until you're a full-time pro is the status-quo. Whether it's your own money or you bring sponsorship pretty much every team on the grid relies on the drivers to provide the tin.

Both the F430 and LP550 are incredible cars, I wouldn't complain if either was in my garage! :)

Back