Don't bother with sport mode

I am aware I'm constantly looking at the radar making sure I'm clear. But when a missile or someone who just wants a position wants by the do it however they want they don't care for their own SR or yours they just want to gain that position. The amount of times I've started in first and had multiple unavoidable missiles fly straight into me is ridiculous.

Yes, I agree with this completely!

IRacing is the same...so...

Actually its not.
iRacing is doing the e-sports online sim racing for -almost- a decade.They have experience that PD does not.
They had PRO championships with serious -aka money- awards.They ban people when they dont follow their rules (racing or other).
Most of their customers are people that are non "casual" and deep into sim racing.Also there are way more adults using their system.Most of them have spend a lot of money to be able to do what would descibe as a "hobby" -and not just a game-.
Not every race is a potential demolution derby.
They charge a lot of money in order to do all that.
GTS is trying to copy iracing ratings and bring that to the casual player (pad users most of them).Other than that -rating system that actually other racing titles have also- iracing and GTS have nothing in common.

B/S here :cheers:

To all those complaining about SR going down from someone hitting you: STOP. There is no "at fault" rule in real racing. You need to be situationally aware enough to avoid contact with other cars on track.
Sorry but this is totally nonsense. No "at fault " rule in real racing? Are you sure about that? I was continuously hit from behind on my first experience of sport mode, even when I stayed wide knowing there are clumsy people about.

Watch F1 sometime, How many rear end collisions do you see throughout a race? Not many, The reason drivers take different lines to pass their opponents, On the flip-side of that how many rear end collisions do you see in the BTCC? A lot because they are basically attached bumper to bumper.

Not everybody understands racecraft, If I know a long straight is coming up on the exit of the next corner I'll be braking early to take an early apex and be accelerating down that straight sooner than the guy following me.

Not sure what you're saying? You seem to be disagreeing and agreeing with me in the same sentence? Sure, F1 cars don't always follow super close, because the cars are so fragile and the aerodynamics are so important so they don't want to rip the nose cone off, but the BTCC cars are much closer to what we're racing in GTS. They have bodywork and can bump each other without much damage occurring. Perhaps if Sport mode included full blown damage then people would be more careful, but it could go the other way and you could get punted into the wall and have a severely damaged car whilst the guy who punted you had minimal bumper damage.

As you say though, not everybody understands racecraft, so whilst you might know to brake early to take an early apex, the person following you might not be expecting you to brake so early because most people don't. In such circumstances they're probably just as annoyed when you unexpectedly slam on the brakes and they get a penalty, as you are when they hit the back of you. If somebody is up your backside though, you're just as much to blame if you notice their proximity (as you appear to have done) and then still slam your brakes on early.

You just have to be aware of everyone around you and be expecting them to make a dick move. If you know the guy following will punt you at the next corner, jink to one side and immediately hit the brakes hard and early - they will probably go sailing past and off the track/into the wall and you'll be able to take a nice sedate turn and put some distance between you both.

However, the biggest thing you need to realise is that you will get hit from time to time, whether you like it or not. The same can be said in real life motorsports - how many times do you see F1 drivers getting tangled up with each other - and they're top paid professional race drivers at the top of their game, not a bunch of casual PS4 players.

I race with a friend who enjoys the game, but is useless at driving games. He often brakes far too late and often loses control and spins out. Usually he only takes himself out and drives over-cautiously online, but it wouldn't take much for him to accidentally rear end a pack of cars in front of him if he got a little over eager. Not every punt is intentional - sometimes people just out brake themselves massively or lose control.

Actually its not.
iRacing is doing the e-sports online sim racing for -almost- a decade.They have experience that PD does not.
They had PRO championships with serious -aka money- awards.They ban people when they dont follow their rules (racing or other).
Most of their customers are people that are non "casual" and deep into sim racing.Also there are way more adults using their system.Most of them have spend a lot of money to be able to do what would descibe as a "hobby" -and not just a game-.
Not every race is a potential demolution derby.
They charge a lot of money in order to do all that.
GTS is trying to copy iracing ratings and bring that to the casual player (pad users most of them).Other than that -rating system that actually other racing titles have also- iracing and GTS have nothing in common.

I know it. I spent 600 USD already for the “game”...

Sorry but this is totally nonsense. No "at fault " rule in real racing? Are you sure about that? I was continuously hit from behind on my first experience of sport mode, even when I stayed wide knowing there are clumsy people about.

Both drivers have a reasonable claim to the apex. If contact occurs, blame will have to be shared. It is in this zone that racing incidents can occur.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

I've bumped into people and still got a positive SR bump at the next sector. Follow the rules y'all!

NASA CCR test: http://nasagreatlakes.com/Portals/33/Docs/NASA_CCR_TEST_Feb_2013.pdf?ver=2016-06-06-130133-643

I'm not saying there are zero rules and penalties in racing, but what I am saying is that racers need to be situationally aware enough to avoid collisions and stop complaining about "muh fairness" and instead learn to avoid contact, even if that means giving up a corner. The person driving like a moron will most likely wreck in a few more turns anyway.

Last edited:
I am aware I'm constantly looking at the radar making sure I'm clear. But when a missile or someone who just wants a position wants by the do it however they want they don't care for their own SR or yours they just want to gain that position. The amount of times I've started in first and had multiple unavoidable missiles fly straight into me is ridiculous.

If the speed difference between 2 cars is large, it will ghost out one of the cars to avoid a pile up. Plus, when you start out, ghosting happens a lot in the early lobbies and lower ranked players. I can't understand how you get punted off by a missile. I've been bumped but never fired off track because I've either avoided them, or they ghosted through me (and in all honesty I have not dealt with very much of this at all).

For the ghosting not to kick requires you to be in a higher driver tier with more experienced drivers.

I have found that most people aren't intentionally trying to drive dirty. The problem is people have a good sense of what the racing line is and they stick to it. But where everything faulters is some people brake early, some people brake late (but not late enough to crash into a wall), some people turn aggressively, some people turn cautiously...with these drivers on the same line there are bound to be collisions.

After getting demoted to C Sportsmanship, I decided to break the racing line if there are cars behind me before a problematic turn, and if I'm right behind a car lest they conservatively. Of course, this is less optimal for me...in the end though I still place well, better than when people crash into me.

If you hit someone from behind and they leave the track you recieve a 10 second penalty. If they stay on track I don't think a penaly is issued. This was like this for me in the closed beta and in the retail version I had the same effect yesterday when I accidently bumped another car. He drove into the gravelpit and I recieved a 10 second penalty. Had an early braker in the first corner but he stayed on track and only my SR was going down no penalty. I did stay behind him however maybe this is also a requirement for the penalty.

I think the penalty system works pretty well overall. Only issue with it is the orange down icon when you brush a car. This is far to strict. It is near impossible to have a totally clean race.

Right now I wouldn't bother with sport mode, the whole ranking system is broken to hell. I was B and B last night get on this morning do a few races get rammed from behind and pushed off the track at every corner which has now lowered me to C and C. I cannot escape that area now it's just full everyone ramming and pushing. The game punishes clean racers for others mistakes. Was just doing the GR3 race over took person in first place he didn't like it so ploughed into me at the next corner. He didn't even receive a penalty. The whole driver and sportsmanship system is broken and in my opinion they either get rid of it now to fix it or drop the sport mode until it's fixed. Penalty system need to be reworked also tired of received penalties for getting rammed and brake checked by the race leader because I'm right behind him. It's impossible to have a clean race once it drops below a B you just paired up with idiots that ruin it for others.

Idk if the driver rating thing is broken, because I don't really know what its made up of.

But the SR is certainly broken... you can get penalised for outbraking yourself, and going off track even if you don't get an advantage and actually lose time.

And you can definitely get penalised for being rear ended... hell I got pit maneuvered yesterday and went flying off into the barrier, only to be hit with a SR decrease and a 10 second penalty!

...every race I played today, there must be one idiot ramming into me, so I get ****! I cannot believe how people are idiotic, even AI has more brains then they have...

I can only speak on my own experience

Currently at SR rank B playing with a DS4. Its always about anticipation, anticipation, anticipation. The SR system is so much better than the demo. Just keep your distance, watch your back and make well executed turns, you should be fine.

I'm betting those that think it's broken spend NO TIME qualifying or practicing. Start up front, stay up front. The mess will be behind you.
I bet you're wrong. You can't start up front consistently in the long term anyway. Sport Mode won't let you.

I bet you're wrong. You can't start up front consistently in the long term anyway. Sport Mode won't let you.

True, but there is no denying that starting near the front will be less insane that mid pack. I'm wondering if the switch to 12 car grids was for better matching or more stability.

As time goes by and more data is collected, I am hoping we will all get matched better with 'like' racers. We are only a week in. Right now people are learning tracks, figuring out tuning, etc., and it will take time to stabilize.

All I'm hoping as the game progresses is that the punters get matched with punters, and the clean racers can go race, regardless of pace.

Last edited:
True, but there is no denying that starting near the front will be less insane that mid pack. I'm wondering if the switch to 12 car grids was for better matching or more stability.

As time goes by and more data is collected, I am hoping we will all get matched better with 'like' racers. We are only a week in. Right now people are learning tracks, figuring out tuning, etc., and it will take time to stabilize.

All I'm hoping as the game progresses is that the punters get matched with punters, and the clean racers can go race, regardless of pace.
Absolutely, starting in front is always better than mid-pack but it's not an effective strategy in Sport Mode to qualify better since, in the long run, you will be matched up with drivers of similar speed and may be placed anywhere on the grid as a result.

I'm betting those that think it's broken spend NO TIME qualifying or practicing. Start up front, stay up front. The mess will be behind you.

I usually start first on the grid with my qualifying times but tracks like Maggiore or dragon wether or not you start in 1st majority of the time you'll get a ICBM flying at you if your in the C or B bracket.

...tell that to AI in mission 6 under 8 challenge series :)

Specifically the viper and the beetle...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had 12 online races, and outside of a couple of annoying players, I've had an almost flawless experience. In-fact, I think I've had a greater quantity of clean races than I experienced in all of my other console online racing games combined lol.

If you want to pick your SR back up, just forget about gaining positions or winning for a few races, and avoid contact altogether, that means avoiding even positioning yourself near to aggravated players. Eventually, you'll improve your SR ranking and race with cleaner players again.

What I've noticed is when I start from the back I encounter no issues, the middle I haven't experienced yet. The first race I've started up front was the problem. I took the inside and was surpassing a player in a straight approaching a turn on Dragon Tail, the tight area where you go over 3 curbs and maintain speed. Well he decided to ram his car right to push me off the track preventing me from getting into 1st place and dropped me into 5th place. No surprise by end of race he had 9 seconds worth of penalties. I just deal with it. So far it's a been a minor annoyance.

The most recent race I had I was stuck with top 4, was in second and the first player was very clean. We let each other take the inside when we saw it and he eventually outplayed me. I crashed on my own later and finished in 4th. So far this has been the cleanest racing I've seen in any online sim and I'm enjoying it. But, the cars I have are not the best, need to buy some GT3/4 cars soon.

I think most people are genuinely trying. I've had a surprisingly positive experience overall. There are a few asses but there are also just a lot of inexperienced players making honest mistakes. If they run me off the track I'm not gonna hold it against them, and I hope they don't hold it against me.

Pros wreck too. :)

Right now I wouldn't bother with sport mode, the whole ranking system is broken to hell. I was B and B last night get on this morning do a few races get rammed from behind and pushed off the track at every corner which has now lowered me to C and C. I cannot escape that area now it's just full everyone ramming and pushing. The game punishes clean racers for others mistakes. Was just doing the GR3 race over took person in first place he didn't like it so ploughed into me at the next corner. He didn't even receive a penalty. The whole driver and sportsmanship system is broken and in my opinion they either get rid of it now to fix it or drop the sport mode until it's fixed. Penalty system need to be reworked also tired of received penalties for getting rammed and brake checked by the race leader because I'm right behind him. It's impossible to have a clean race once it drops below a B you just paired up with idiots that ruin it for others.
I share your frustration though not the entire sentiment. I also suspect qualifying incidents may be affecting Dr and SR..but can't confirm. Getting stuck with the dregs actually had me retaliating in races because I was so frustrated . I'm taking a TO right now to regain my composure :). I keep trying to tell my self its a game and dont go nuts over the ratings, but that rating has a direct effect on the quality of your opponents and subsequently the quality of your experience...its hard not to be irked.

I have found that most people aren't intentionally trying to drive dirty. The problem is people have a good sense of what the racing line is and they stick to it. But where everything faulters is some people brake early, some people brake late (but not late enough to crash into a wall), some people turn aggressively, some people turn cautiously...with these drivers on the same line there are bound to be collisions.

After getting demoted to C Sportsmanship, I decided to break the racing line if there are cars behind me before a problematic turn, and if I'm right behind a car lest they conservatively. Of course, this is less optimal for me...in the end though I still place well, better than when people crash into me.
The bigger issue is when you try to follow the line did think it's okay to dip inside on a sweeper and that almost always ends in a crash , unless the person that has the proper line backs off. If said person decides to combat that by driving offline it usually ends in dropped places and or a crash .. a lot of folks don't know where or how to make a clean pass and see any sliver of daylight as an opportunity .

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the thing that is frustrating me so much with GT right now, I freaking love the feel of the game. I love nailing corners and driving around the tracks (never thought I'd see the day I was enjoying the fantasy courses more than the real world ones in a GT game but here we are) but my gosh, with Sport mode being basically the sole focus of the game I'm losing my enjoyment of the game.. I get punted on races where I might not win but I'm trying to be fair and competitive and I just get booted off a corner or sideswiped in a straight. There is no mode I can fall back on and enjoy outside of the basic arcade setup. If the Sport mode was frustrating me and there was an old career mode/garage/used car dealership thing going on I could just quit and play some career races and work on my car collection. That's all lost on me now. So frustrating.

I'm still trying to decide weather or not to return this game or go all out on a rig. Been playing GT since PS1 days, started sim racing online with Papyrus Nascar Racing, hell... even built my own wheel. I haven't ventured into Sport mode yet, but I have a notion whats causing all the BS racing so far.

1) Thousands of noobs, many new to the game, rushing right past Arcade and Campaign and going straight to online. They have no track knowledge, no idea how to approach a turn, and generally no idea how to race in traffic. But they have seen ALL the Fast and Furious movies to date !

2) Wheel racers vs Pad racers - I don't care how good you are with a pad, you can't get the same touch as you can with a decent wheel / pedal rig. Add to that, some are "button mashers" some use the sticks, and god forbid, some even use that awful IR control to steer with.

3) Car / Tuning selection. A lot of these squirrels have no real world car experience, and think that more HP and less weight is everything. Even in races with mandated cars, theres nothing saying they're not going into garage before race, and dropping ride height, upping HP, and stripping weight. They wind up with an ill mannered vehicle right off the start. Not to mention a lot of them have no idea the differences in performance of FWD / RWD / 4WD / Mid Engine / Rear Engine ...etc. They drive em all the same way, and can't understand why the back end snaps around in corners when they're driving a boxer.

I think time will sort out the squirrels, but I hope they make dedicated wheel races, and dedicated Pad races. I think mixing the two make for more possibility of wrecking.

Just an old farts opinion.....

I've had 12 online races, and outside of a couple of annoying players, I've had an almost flawless experience. In-fact, I think I've had a greater quantity of clean races than I experienced in all of my other console online racing games combined lol.

If you want to pick your SR back up, just forget about gaining positions or winning for a few races, and avoid contact altogether, that means avoiding even positioning yourself near to aggravated players. Eventually, you'll improve your SR ranking and race with cleaner players again.

Likewise, I have had 10 races in sports mode -I am most definitely not fast but I try my best to be clean. I have prioritised keeping out of trouble over winning and as a result my SR is now A. My DR is only D.

As a result I am now having fantastic races where I am being matched up with clean racers who are of a similar standard to me. I have raced 4 times tonight and not once have I been bumped, rammed, shunted or punted.

The last two races I finished 4th and 2nd.

I'm having a blast.

I did encounter a few crazies in my first 4 or 5 races but more often than not its fairly easy to avoid them.

For me the matchmaking is working perfectly. Not only is it keeping me away from the crazy rammers but also its stopping relatively slow drivers like myself from cluttering up the track for all you aliens out there.

Back