Don't bother with sport mode

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
oppsijustkilledu
Right now I wouldn't bother with sport mode, the whole ranking system is broken to hell. I was B and B last night get on this morning do a few races get rammed from behind and pushed off the track at every corner which has now lowered me to C and C. I cannot escape that area now it's just full everyone ramming and pushing. The game punishes clean racers for others mistakes. Was just doing the GR3 race over took person in first place he didn't like it so ploughed into me at the next corner. He didn't even receive a penalty. The whole driver and sportsmanship system is broken and in my opinion they either get rid of it now to fix it or drop the sport mode until it's fixed. Penalty system need to be reworked also tired of received penalties for getting rammed and brake checked by the race leader because I'm right behind him. It's impossible to have a clean race once it drops below a B you just paired up with idiots that ruin it for others.

Everyone in the crash gets the same punishment. Thing being if one guy rams 3 people and the 3 people run a clean race otherwise, they won't get an overall drop and potentially still get an overall improvement, while the main guy crashing definitely gets an overall drop in safety rank.

It's supposed to even out over time, I started Sport mode last night now I'm SRA. Started a race as B, I even got rammed going into the first 3 corners each time, got a negative mark, then by the end went up to A. I actually finished 6th due to that [insert abuse] ruining my race.

There is also an issue where people (idiots imo) don't even realise Lobby mode exists and think Sport mode is "the" online racing mode. When it is infact not. Therefor you do seem to get a bunch of crashers in Sport and run clean races in Lobby, completely backwards to what I'd expect.

I wouldn't say sport mode is perfect but after dropping to C C initially, i recalibrated how i drove and became much more cautious and tactical with how i approach sport mode and i have worked my way back up to B A. It takes a lot of patience and self control to let certain drivers go and pick and choose when and where to make your moves, but you need to adapt to thrive just like you would in any other game with a system like this.

The single biggest factor is having a good qualifying time so you can start up front. That way you have some capital to give if there are aggressive drivers around you. Just let them go and safely follow their wake of destruction, picking off all the victims as they're rammed. Then you finish with a good position and safety rating upgrade and the rammers are demoted. Rinse and repeat and you'll get where you want to be.

Haven't had a problem with it so far. I got a decrease in rating in my most recent race, but it was totally my fault. I came out of a chicane with twice the speed as the driver in front of me and I didn't steer away in time so I hit him in the back. Fortunately it didn't make him lose control of his car.

I will look out for inconsistencies in the future however. Many people have experienced unjustified decreases in rating, so it seems like a common problem.

Sure?

I've done eight races now and I'm at DRC and SRA. There's been some contact but no worse than I'd expect from the public.

Yup sure because I finished 3 secs behind him still and on the race finish screen it displayed no penalty for him. There was 2 corners left and he couldn't slow down enough to drop it. My entire sports mode experience went from this is great fun last night after having clean race after clean race to its just full of idiots that drive into people for fun. When you end up in races full of rammers thats it say good bye to your SR and DR because the game constantly punishes you for them ramming you. No matter how clean you race throughout it still drops because of how the other racers interact with you.

Edit: miyabi yes it has some very slow corners so it's possible. But Lago Maggiore the final 2 corners are 80-100mph corners you won't burn off your penalty through them. If he slowed down enough to I would of passed him on the final corner as I was only 3 secs behind after we both recovered from the ram.

Last edited:
Ugh, another one of these threads. He did get a penalty - that's how the system works. In any collision BOTH drivers get the same penalty. The difference is, he slowed down to "work it off" whereas you ignored the slow down message and carried on at full speed and still had the penalty at the end (presumably, from what you're saying).

I played Sport mode for the first time last night and it was the best fun I've had in a while. Rubbed wheels with a few people and even got in a few small bumps, but didn't once get a penalty. I also had some guy in a Veyron torpedo up from behind, but luckily he missed me and got somebody else.

You just need to keep an eye out behind and drive off of the main racing line if that's what is required to avoid a collision.

Everybody is going to get the odd punt here and there, but if you're only occasionally getting punted then after a few weeks you'll end up with all the other people who get occasionally punted, and all the people that torpedo on every corner of every race will be in another group together.

Believe me, you're not the only one who has been unfairly punted off on a corner and received a penalty - I imagine most people will have experienced the same thing on more than one occasion, regardless of how clean they drive.

Same goes for real life. Racers get taken out by other racers and have to sit out the whole race, which could potentially lose them the whole championship. It happens.

Do I think the SR system is flawless? No. But it's better than nothing, so it'll do for now.

Haven't had a problem with it so far. I got a decrease in rating in my most recent race, but it was totally my fault. I came out of a chicane with twice the speed as the driver in front of me and I didn't steer away in time so I hit him in the back. Fortunately it didn't make him lose control of his car.

I will look out for inconsistencies in the future however. Many people have experienced unjustified decreases in rating, so it seems like a common problem.
I lose rating for a car slightly touching my cars rear not even a intentional ram just a lil nudge and I lose rating for it.

Ugh, another one of these threads. He did get a penalty - that's how the system works. In any collision BOTH drivers get the same penalty. The difference is, he slowed down to "work it off" whereas you ignored the slow down message and carried on at full speed and still had the penalty at the end (presumably, from what you're saying).

I played Sport mode for the first time last night and it was the best fun I've had in a while. Rubbed wheels with a few people and even got in a few small bumps, but didn't once get a penalty. I also had some guy in a Veyron torpedo up from behind, but luckily he missed me and got somebody else.

You just need to keep an eye out behind and drive off of the main racing line if that's what is required to avoid a collision.

Everybody is going to get the odd punt here and there, but if you're only occasionally getting punted then after a few weeks you'll end up with all the other people who get occasionally punted, and all the people that torpedo on every corner of every race will be in another group together.

Believe me, you're not the only one who has been unfairly punted off on a corner and received a penalty - I imagine most people will have experienced the same thing on more than one occasion, regardless of how clean they drive.

Same goes for real life. Racers get taken out by other racers and have to sit out the whole race, which could potentially lose them the whole championship. It happens.

Do I think the SR system is flawless? No. But it's better than nothing, so it'll do for now.

Neither of us received a penalty for his INTENTIONAL RAM but he benefitted from it as he took back first and won because of it. If he had received a penalty I would of won. And btw you don't both receive a penalty all the time for someone else's mistake. Avoid a collision when a car coming at like 150mph behind you is practically impossible. I'm about 1.5 secs Infront, doing between 140-150 I brake hard and pull into the apex I'm right on it meanwhile he decide I have a nice sideview of his car would be a shame if rammed it.

Last edited:
Yup sure because I finished 3 secs behind him still and on the race finish screen it displayed no penalty for him.
Doesn't mean he didn't get one.
There was 2 corners left and he couldn't slow down enough to drop it.
Don't be so sure. I got rid of five seconds in one corner at Miyabi.

And please don't double-post.

Neither of us received a penalty for his INTENTIONAL RAM but he benefitted from it as he took back first and won because of it. If he had received a penalty I would of won. And btw you don't both receive a penalty all the time for someone else's mistake. Avoid a collision when a car coming at like 150mph behind you is practically impossible.

Why are you stopped in the middle of the track then? That's the only way a car will be gaining on you at 150mph. Otherwise, if you're just getting punted on corners then you need to go tighter to the apex. Most torpedos will be going far too fast and not be able to turn in enough to hit the apex, so that's the safest place to be. Either that or keep an eye out behind and brake early if necessary so they shoot past you. If they're really going so much faster than you then they'll shoot past you, promptly slide off the corner and you can just cruise on past them easily.

If you really can't avoid people then there's little you can do about it. This type of thing is common among all online racing games. For everyone who wants to race seriously, there's plenty of others who just bought the game for fun and are quite happy to play demolition derby.

People need to learn how to burn penalties effectively, you don’t need to do it all at once, you can take a chunk in each corner.

It seems the game has zones where the penalty time can be depleted, so you need to figure out where you can lift and coast on each track, with the minimum of time lost ;)

It would be better if the system could better distinguish between a brake check and a punt for sure, but other than that I think the SR system works okay. I agree with the above - either qualify well and check out, or hang back and pick off.

I race clean and I'm currently a B. I have felt like a pinata so much I put "Don't forget to brake!" on my car. I got punted out of a 1st 3 times today and got penalized for being smashed into someone else. Blergh. Maybe I haven't raced enough but man...there are some missiles out there.

I will say that I did waft over into a guy named GTPorsche on accident today though. Was a good clean race wirh some exciting back and forths up until that point. I felt bad. I ate it a few moments later so karma for me.

People need to learn how to burn penalties effectively, you don’t need to do it all at once, you can take a chunk in each corner.

It seems the game has zones where the penalty time can be depleted, so you need to figure out where you can lift and coast on each track, with the minimum of time lost ;)
This is actually a large part of the problem. It shouldn't allow you to burn penalties with minimum time lost. I suspect the rammers have figured out how to do this to their overall advantage hence why some seem to continue without punishment.

I also wonder in how many instances of "he punted me off the track on purpose" the other driver is sat there going "why did he brake so early?"

Then the other car should either not be right up somebodys bumper going into a braking zone or take a different line into the corner, It's not difficult for the following car to prevent causing a collision. The DR/SR system is broken and has been ever since the beta, I had cleaner races on PCars because funnily enough it isn't geared towards kids and noobs the same way GT:Sport is.

I considered doing something like that - but to some people writing messages like that on the back of your car will only encourage them to punt you off. :-S

Then the other car should either not be right up somebodys bumper going into a braking zone or take a different line into the corner, It's not difficult for the following car to prevent causing a collision. The DR/SR system is broken and has been ever since the beta, I had cleaner races on PCars because funnily enough it isn't geared towards kids and noobs the same way GT:Sport is.

Sure, nobody ever follows closely behind a competitor in real racing, do they...?! What planet are you on?!

Sure?

I've done eight races now and I'm at DRC and SRA. There's been some contact but no worse than I'd expect from the public.
Maybe this is an effect of the Sportsmanship rating? People scared of getting pushed against other bumpers-addicted, so they crash into others just when strictly necessary?
I thought to be worst too, although I don't have much experience in online pubblic lobby racings. Just 2-3 races on GT6, a couple on Assetto Corsa (PC version), but then only official national and international championships on Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 (both PC). And yes, you get un-sportsmans even on those important official leagues, mainly LMP1s that don't want to spend 1 turn behind a LMGT, so they prefer a 200 sec repair instead of getting slowed........

I considered doing something like that - but to some people writing messages like that on the back of your car will only encourage them to punt you off. :-S

Sure, nobody ever follows closely behind a competitor in real racing, do they...?! What planet are you on?!

Watch F1 sometime, How many rear end collisions do you see throughout a race? Not many, The reason drivers take different lines to pass their opponents, On the flip-side of that how many rear end collisions do you see in the BTCC? A lot because they are basically attached bumper to bumper.

Not everybody understands racecraft, If I know a long straight is coming up on the exit of the next corner I'll be braking early to take an early apex and be accelerating down that straight sooner than the guy following me.

Yup sure because I finished 3 secs behind him still and on the race finish screen it displayed no penalty for him. There was 2 corners left and he couldn't slow down enough to drop it. My entire sports mode experience went from this is great fun last night after having clean race after clean race to its just full of idiots that drive into people for fun. When you end up in races full of rammers thats it say good bye to your SR and DR because the game constantly punishes you for them ramming you. No matter how clean you race throughout it still drops because of how the other racers interact with you.

Edit: miyabi yes it has some very slow corners so it's possible. But Lago Maggiore the final 2 corners are 80-100mph corners you won't burn off your penalty through them. If he slowed down enough to I would of passed him on the final corner as I was only 3 secs behind after we both recovered from the ram.

>Yup sure because I finished 3 secs behind him still and on the race finish screen it displayed no penalty for him.

Well, i will tell you what happened to me 3 days ago.

I rammed also a car from behind, but that was more like an accident, because (in my opinion) he slowed down without a reason.

However i stopped my car, and gave him time to gο back to the track again. I loss 3 places, but in the end no one received a penalty.

I find that more than fair. ;)

Thought I would update. Went into race kept getting knocked around the track by having cars turn that go wide turn into my sides whilst I'm on the Apex and if they aren't turning into me just budgeting the back of my car and guess what I drops me from a C to a D. The game punishes players who race clean no matter how clean you race if other racers are knocking you about it will lower your SR. And once you drop down to C and D area because of the broken system that's it your SR is done for because you never ever get anyone who races cleanly. I started the day at a B and B. Now I'm Currently and D...

So far my Sport experience has been positive. the Gr.4 race had a few idiots but managed to avoid them and get 4th! My N300 race was epic last night! Qualified on pole and had a battle with 2nd and 3rd the whole race. Only a few bumps here and there once we got away from the rest of the pack - Finished 2nd though :( not sure what my ratings are though i've not really paid much attention to them thus far.

Right now I wouldn't bother with sport mode, the whole ranking system is broken to hell. I was B and B last night get on this morning do a few races get rammed from behind and pushed off the track at every corner which has now lowered me to C and C. I cannot escape that area now it's just full everyone ramming and pushing. The game punishes clean racers for others mistakes. Was just doing the GR3 race over took person in first place he didn't like it so ploughed into me at the next corner. He didn't even receive a penalty. The whole driver and sportsmanship system is broken and in my opinion they either get rid of it now to fix it or drop the sport mode until it's fixed. Penalty system need to be reworked also tired of received penalties for getting rammed and brake checked by the race leader because I'm right behind him. It's impossible to have a clean race once it drops below a B you just paired up with idiots that ruin it for others.

The only negative experience I have had so far is when someone rammed me from behind, and it made my SR rating go down, even though I was trying to turn the corner cleanly. For right now, I am just mainly trying to get a feel for Sport mode, and not necessarily trying to win. I do agree that the rating system is not perfect, but I also agree that if a person intentionally rams another person from behind, they should be the only one to receive a penalty. It shouldn't be "all that's involved in the crash" because the person that gets hit is not expecting it and they are most likely trying to avoid contact.

Strange. PCars for me was horrific. Tons of rammers and rage quitters and I've come accross very few in GTS so far.

And I've had no issues with the GTS grading system. Steadily climbing with no issues even after some small paint exchanges. Drive smart and don't assume "it's my line so any crash is their fault". That's not how it works.

I follow cars inches from the bumper to put pressure on them. I never touch them because I will anticipate their actions. This happened multiple times last night. Chase the leader, put huge pressure on filling his mirrors causing him to outbrake himself. Force them to drive defensive then take a wider entry for the switch back. That is race craft. Whatever you are doing, I would say change it. For one, an early apex does not mean you will be on the power earlier. You want a late apex for that.

B/S here :cheers:

To all those complaining about SR going down from someone hitting you: STOP. There is no "at fault" rule in real racing. You need to be situationally aware enough to avoid contact with other cars on track.

IRacing is the same...so...

Thought I would update. Went into race kept getting knocked around the track by having cars turn that go wide turn into my sides whilst I'm on the Apex and if they aren't turning into me just budgeting the back of my car and guess what I drops me from a C to a D. The game punishes players who race clean no matter how clean you race if other racers are knocking you about it will lower your SR. And once you drop down to C and D area because of the broken system that's it your SR is done for because you never ever get anyone who races cleanly. I started the day at a B and B. Now I'm Currently and D...

Maybe the system is a lot more intelligent than you think and knows that you were slow in that corner... so it blames you for being on the racing line at the wrong speed...

I race a lot in sport mode... touching others, being touched by others.... in overall cleans races. My SR keeps goiing up even if I had some accident. **** appens some times but you don't go one level down because of a mistake if most of your racing behavior is clean. I really think that you're underestimating the way it's working and maybe you always put yourself at risk by trying to be too clean.

Maybe the system is a lot more intelligent than you think and knows that you were slow in that corner... so it blames you for being on the racing line at the wrong speed...

I race a lot in sport mode... touching others, being touched by others.... in overall cleans races. My SR keeps goiing up even if I had some accident. **** appens some times but you don't go one level down because of a mistake if most of your racing behavior is clean. I really think that you're underestimating the way it's working and maybe you always put yourself at risk by trying to be too clean.

Hmm, I never thought about it like that. Perhaps that is my mistake by trying to be too clean, so I will approach it differently. Thank you for that!

B/S here :cheers:

To all those complaining about SR going down from someone hitting you: STOP. There is no "at fault" rule in real racing. You need to be situationally aware enough to avoid contact with other cars on track.
I am aware I'm constantly looking at the radar making sure I'm clear. But when a missile or someone who just wants a position wants by the do it however they want they don't care for their own SR or yours they just want to gain that position. The amount of times I've started in first and had multiple unavoidable missiles fly straight into me is ridiculous.

If your put into a bracket that's filled with rammers and you being clean is the only way your going to get out. But because everyone is ramming and completely oblivious of their surroundings you can't get out because they are always shunting you...

Edit: this post was meant to be attached to previous one I messed up the quote thing

Back