Don't bother with sport mode

Got into the high A rank and I was so happy, one race... one freaking race and I got back to B. You know why? Because some Brazilian guy thinks it is funny to ram people, not once, but multiple times... I was first, started first, first corner, I was totally out of race and got penalty of 10 seconds... second corner was the end for me and my A rank presumably... They need to revamp this freaking penalty system ASAP!!!

Got into the high A rank and I was so happy, one race... one freaking race and I got back to B. You know why? Because some Brazilian guy thinks it is funny to ram people, not once, but multiple times... I was first, started first, first corner, I was totally out of race and got penalty of 10 seconds... second corner was the end for me and my A rank presumably... They need to revamp this freaking penalty system ASAP!!!
This guy will be rank E just after one race and you will never see him again. Calm down and enjoy the game. I get rammed every second race even by people that did race fair just one race before.

Last night I was finding SRB races were worse than SRC races for the demolition derby hero’s - possibly because default is SRB and those guys are learning so they screw up more - have to get to SRA by just hanging back and doing more clean races without worrying so much about finish position

Someone that actually made the effort of getting to rank A, only to throw it away by suddenly acting like a total maniac. That sounds... strange, to say the least.

Can you explain one of the situations please? He just didn't lose control of his car and did this on accident?

Bring back those god awful license tests. Or at minimum, make campaign mode mandatory, and rank by gold / silver / bronze %. No online until you've passed the campaign, and your grouped by your grade.

I'm still trying to decide weather or not to return this game or go all out on a rig. Been playing GT since PS1 days, started sim racing online with Papyrus Nascar Racing, hell... even built my own wheel. I haven't ventured into Sport mode yet, but I have a notion whats causing all the BS racing so far.

1) Thousands of noobs, many new to the game, rushing right past Arcade and Campaign and going straight to online. They have no track knowledge, no idea how to approach a turn, and generally no idea how to race in traffic. But they have seen ALL the Fast and Furious movies to date !

2) Wheel racers vs Pad racers - I don't care how good you are with a pad, you can't get the same touch as you can with a decent wheel / pedal rig. Add to that, some are "button mashers" some use the sticks, and god forbid, some even use that awful IR control to steer with.

3) Car / Tuning selection. A lot of these squirrels have no real world car experience, and think that more HP and less weight is everything. Even in races with mandated cars, theres nothing saying they're not going into garage before race, and dropping ride height, upping HP, and stripping weight. They wind up with an ill mannered vehicle right off the start. Not to mention a lot of them have no idea the differences in performance of FWD / RWD / 4WD / Mid Engine / Rear Engine ...etc. They drive em all the same way, and can't understand why the back end snaps around in corners when they're driving a boxer.

I think time will sort out the squirrels, but I hope they make dedicated wheel races, and dedicated Pad races. I think mixing the two make for more possibility of wrecking.

Just an old farts opinion.....
Cockpit view should also be a mandate .

The system works the same as iRacing. If I get punted in the back I get a Contact point added. Your given X amount of Contact points and X amount of Off Track points and X amount of Loss of control points. If at any time you reach any of the limits your DQ'd. Regardless if its your fault or not. The only difference between GTSPORT and iRacing is you can "Appeal" an incident to which if accepted just removes any SR rating credit for that race in iracing. Also we do not know if there is a limit to incidents in GTS. I do not think it would be possible to implement a similar appeal system within GTSPORT solely based on the fact that the size of the two communities isn't even comparable, it would take a lot of manpower to review each incident.

Say what you will about Sport, but I drove my first Sport races last night. Did 3 total and despite the last one, I got a clean race bonus on the first two. The last one was a combo of me bumping lightly into the guy in front of me who decided to break earlier than expected, and I ran wide on the esses and lost control on the kerbing. Plus we had someone that was lagging very hard and a one guy who was overtly aggressive. BUT you can only do that for so long and then you can start to pull away. That was SR increase in the first two and despite the incidents I ended up staying the same SR on the last.

I had an absolute blast playing sport last night and hope to do more.

Someone that actually made the effort of getting to rank A, only to throw it away by suddenly acting like a total maniac. That sounds... strange, to say the least.

Can you explain one of the situations please? He just didn't lose control of his car and did this on accident?

...so first sharp left corner on Dragon's Trail map. You know it for sure... Imagine you are at the front, and guy behind you is going parallel to half of your car, you both start into the corner, but because he is behind you, and what normal driver would do, he backs up a bit, so you both can pass... well, there was a guy that was way behind... but he didn't bother breaking at all, he just went for the imaginary apex full speed, so he passed like 5-6 guys, and slammed right into my left door, and took me out of the race... hope you can imagine that.

Cheers...

The SR rating seems to be color coded. The more red and yellow flags in the race the more orange sr i get..

...you can have all SR's green in a race, but one orange and you will stay on same rating, if you get a red one, you'll probably drop for a rank... and you'll need 3-4 clean races to get one rank up...

...so first sharp left corner on Dragon's Trail map. You know it for sure... Imagine you are at the front, and guy behind you is going parallel to half of your car, you both start into the corner, but because he is behind you, and what normal driver would do, he backs up a bit, so you both can pass... well, there was a guy that was way behind... but he didn't bother breaking at all, he just went for the imaginary apex full speed, so he passed like 5-6 guys, and slammed right into my left door, and took me out of the race... hope you can imagine that.

Cheers...

What a jackass. Did you send him a message afterwards?

;)
...you can have all SR's green in a race, but one orange and you will stay on same rating, if you get a red one, you'll probably drop for a rank... and you'll need 3-4 clean races to get one rank up...
I meant red and yellow in national flags..;)

What a jackass. Did you send him a message afterwards?

...to say what, it would just piss me off more :) I calmed down TBH... This is something you can expect all the time, the S rank usually is paired only with S, occasionally with A, so I just hope to get out of this B/A soon...

;)
I meant red and yellow in national flags..;)

ahaha! I got a few spanish drivers (SR S) who like to bump wheels indeed. But most of them are clean. The dirtiest I got was a british driver who started first (I started second) but lost the position to me on the last lap and at the last corner of the race (Maggiore) pushed me off track. I ended up in 2nd and he got a 10sec penalty, finishing in 6th. The following race we met again and he said he would give me the first place as soon as the race would start (because he knew he had messed up my race and win previously). I told him to race and just be careful. I ended up having a really relaxed race, leading from the 2nd corner till the end and he finished in 5 I guess but with the fastest lap. All good in the end.

On another situation another british driver pushed me a bit (nothing special) and sent me a message afterwards apologizing. :D I wasn't even mad or anything. Was a completely normal touch. People have been really nice and respectful.

I'm not the fastest. I usually start in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Rarely in 1st. But I'm pretty consistent and that's how I get my wins. :D I think people would be better off spending a bit more time in practice / qualifying putting in lap after lap without mistakes. In the end, even if they're not the fastest and don't get the pole, they might get the win by just being consistent and not making errors.

To those struggling with the less skilled players and having difficulty improving their SR, I suggest to focus on finishing race after race without leaving the track or touching other cars. Even if you have to drop to last and then cruise calmly and race till the end. You'll get better SR rating and then you can focus on close racing and wins. This is what I and most people did during the beta and demo to get to SR S as fast as possible.

I never had so much fun racing as I'm having in GTS sport mode.

In Sport Mode I have been in some good clean races with some good battles, I have been in some that were a crash fest where you are just trying to survive the carnage that is the race behind 3rd place. I think the majority are really trying they just need to understand how a racing line works, not just theirs but their opponents as well.

They need to learn and understand that the racetrack, the current arc that the car in front of them is on and taking belongs to the car in front and if you cannot pass cleanly inside or outside WITHOUT CONTACT and have enough of a lane and clear racetrack to complete the pass without causing the lead car to have to swerve and take evasive action off of his racing line or force his car off the race track then YOU HAVE NOT MADE A CLEAN PASS.

I think that many people do not really understand when there is or is not an actual opening to pass and when that when they try to stick their car in what they think is an opening they then realize that,

1.) There is a car where they thought they were going and they wrongly believed that space was going to be unoccupied.

2.) They are going too fast and cannot hold the line and trying to take that inside line to gain an advantage and avoid basically hitting the other car in the quarter basically doing a "pit" maneuver or using the opposing car as a berm to stay on the track and spinning out or crashing the car they are attempting to pass.

3.) That some are driving every lap and every corner on the edge of out of control and it is not going to be if they wreck but rather where, how often and how many innocent drivers will get taken out.

4.) Some just have the mentality that in racing it is fine just to knock everyone out of the way and do not feel that they are "not racing clean" or there is any Sportsmanship involved in motorsports just to do whatever it takes to win or gain a position regardless of how it is acquired.

Qualifying to group drivers is not a bad idea but it is possible to throw out one lucky on the edge of out of control lap which will group you with drivers above your actual skill level and trying to hold your position can cause Banzai moves as the competition is faster.

I think that the Ranking by speed or "qualifying" Should be a group of 3 back to back laps and the average of the times of the three total laps will be your ranking time for that car and track combo. If you are putting drivers together on track at a pace that they can somewhat in a controllable manner maintain over multiple laps then you will actually be getting a more "under control" group of drivers racing together.

Also consider turning the "Damage" to the cars on high or maximum and then not taking care of your vehicle, hitting other cars or slamming into walls will result in a trip to the pits effectively ending your race. Perhaps that will add incentive to driving a smarter and a more under controlled race.

I really like the "SPORT" mode when you get good racers together, yes everyone is going to make mistakes, that is part of racing but it is pretty easy to tell when someone has either just messed up or is almost intentionally just racing like a bull in the china shop and ruins the clean racing for others or does not respect a legitimate racing line that belongs to someone else that is in front of you..

My other big gripe is the stupid people crashing into you or others on the warm up lap. It is the warm up lap, not racing for position, wrecking or hitting someone on the warm up lap should result in starting the race with a 30 second penalty!

Overall I think that we may have some good races as the time passes and we get a better seperation of the different classes of racers.

Last edited:
Watch F1 sometime, How many rear end collisions do you see throughout a race? Not many, The reason drivers take different lines to pass their opponents, On the flip-side of that how many rear end collisions do you see in the BTCC? A lot because they are basically attached bumper to bumper.
Strange. PCars for me was horrific. Tons of rammers and rage quitters and I've come accross very few in GTS so far.

And I've had no issues with the GTS grading system. Steadily climbing with no issues even after some small paint exchanges. Drive smart and don't assume "it's my line so any crash is their fault". That's not how it works.

I follow cars inches from the bumper to put pressure on them. I never touch them because I will anticipate their actions. This happened multiple times last night. Chase the leader, put huge pressure on filling his mirrors causing him to outbrake himself. Force them to drive defensive then take a wider entry for the switch back. That is race craft. Whatever you are doing, I would say change it. For one, an early apex does not mean you will be on the power earlier. You want a late apex for that.

late-apex-racing-line.gif

Well I do apologize for being tired, But notice the green line? Generally speaking you need to be braking earlier to get the speed down as you are taking a sharper angle of attack at the very start for it to straighten out a lot faster, If you are right up somebodys bumber without considering these lines then the only one whos going to cause an incident is the car behind, The right thing to do is take an inside line and outbrake the car infront and get past! So my point still stands, It's up to the car behind to judge what the leader is going to do, The lead car always has choice of which line they are going to take always.

Well I do apologize for being tired, But notice the green line? Generally speaking you need to be braking earlier to get the speed down as you are taking a sharper angle of attack at the very start for it to straighten out a lot faster, If you are right up somebodys bumber without considering these lines then the only one whos going to cause an incident is the car behind, The right thing to do is take an inside line and outbrake the car infront and get past! So my point still stands, It's up to the car behind to judge what the leader is going to do, The lead car always has choice of which line they are going to take always.

...well if you have turns like on Dragons Trail map, second left hander, and third right hander, you will go for green line for second one, since it will give you much faster pass through that S. And as far as I saw up until now, every fast driver is using it...

Cheers...

People who consistently do this will end up in the basement in SR eventually, until then you just have to deal with it on occasion and stay clean otherwise

I would that playing it safe during your first few races always help, often people make the mistake of racing against other players as if they're AI and expect them all to move aside because the holy ghosts of Charlie Whiting and Gary Cooper said so.

All I've been doing is sport mode since I got the game. Wasn't too hard to get a sr rating of s in my opinion. I got that while pretty drunk and also got a driver rating of a.

Agreed, if the trailing car cannot get up to at least the midpoint to front of the leading cars door BEFORE either car has begun their turn in then that late apex line belongs to the leading car all the way through the corner. If the trailing car fails to yield to the leading car then as both cars approach the "clipping point" the inside car has no choice but to contact the leading car as there is no clear racing lane available and the overtaking driver is at fault for the contact..

If the leading car does own the late apex line through the corner then it is still at that point the leading cars responsibility to make sure the outside lane is still clear on the exit before drifting or moving over to the outside lane on the exit of the corner. If the driver that was leading into the inside entry of the corner crosses over to the outside lane and causes contact then the driver that was leading into the corner was at fault for the contact on the corner exit.

If the trailing car HAS gotten up far enough inside beside the leading car during braking before turn in has begun and the trailing car can maintain his racing line while inside and beside the car he is overtaking without pushing the outside car off of the track then the overtaking car has cleanly taken the racing line through that corner and it is then the outsides cars responsibility to maintain the line and not turn down into the car that has taken over the inside racing line.

A clean pass is a series of actions from the time the pass was initiated until such time that the pass is cleanly completed.
The same goes for the defense from being passed, a predictable arc or racing line should be maintained at all times and jerking or suddenly changing lines to block a competitor or wreck him to stop them from being able to complete a pass is just as poor a sportsmanship as the dirty overtaking.

Winning is much better and more an accomplishment when done cleanly.

There is a lot to process rather than whether there is just a sliver of space. It is a lot like a chess game and different driving styles, car handling characteristics and differences in various cars in braking, acceleration or even top speeds can all effect and be reasons for different driving styles. That is part of what makes motorsport racing as fun and interesting as it is.

Last edited:
There is a lot to process rather than whether there is just a sliver of space. It is a lot like a chess game and different driving styles, car handling characteristics and differences in various cars in braking, acceleration or even top speeds can all effect and be reasons for different driving styles. That is part of what makes motorsport racing as fun and interesting as it is.

Totally agree with this, I like to follow if I can and put the pressure on. The danger with this style is you have to be very aware of the driver's style whom I am chasing, not to mention keeping an eye out for the driver who may be on my tail. I enjoy the dogfight as almost everyone would, but unfortunately there a lot that only see the value in crossing the finish line first at all costs.
Its not easy to learn a drivers habbits or style in such a short period of time given most of these races are 2-3 laps and not every race you enter has the same group as before. Keep in mind GTS has only been out for a week so there will be a lot of fresh faced racers and mixed with those on a dedicated wheel to those using the controller.
Given some more time it should start to become a fairer system and also provide time for all to learn tracks and cars.

I’m actually really happy with Sport mode so far. The rating system isn’t perfect, but I’ve found that for the most part it has worked out quite well. I’ve been involved in incidents with other drivers who have made rather careless moves but never has my rating dropped down a level due to that.

Maybe it’s just my region (Asia & Australasia) but I don’t think I’ve ever come across a truely malicious driver. There has certainly been a few selfish drivers, who don’t care about anyone else, but I don’t think any of their incidents were pure maliciousness. I’ve found that most incidents I’ve been involved in could come down to inexperience or just general accidents.

What exactly raises/lower your driver rating? I'm stalled at DR D even though I usually finish in the top half of the field

Silent you don't even have the game go back to playing french planes on warthunder bruh
Actually I got it from Abbe. :))))

Edit and really "clean racing " raises it and also lowers it. Unlike real life. Gran Turismo doesn't use real players to determine penalities. Which I think they should have some sort of system.

Biggest problem with sport mode right now IMO is the short races. If you want to try and improve your position or go for the win you have to be aggressive as you only have a handful of laps to make passes. This is going to result in some minimal contact and the game punishes you for everything except the tiniest of lovetaps.

There needs to be at least one endurance race (20-30 mins) alongside the sprint races as an option in sport mode.

This guy will be rank E just after one race and you will never see him again. Calm down and enjoy the game. I get rammed every second race even by people that did race fair just one race before.

I dont think thats how SR works. I got into a brawl with another car in a sport race, and we wrecked eachother 6-7 times. I believe I might have dropped one rank, and 2-3 clean races later I was back up a rank. Im pretty sure there is a limit on how much your SR can drop in one race.

I really like the rating sistem. once you learn to drive strategically its easy to avoid most crashes, and as you rank up its easier because you race against cleaner drivers. on most races i dont se a single crash, unfortunately the ghosting is almost off when you get to SR S, so some big hits might happen, but even if you get red or a big penalty so far i don't think the rating goes down as fast as when you are D to A, its kind of locked ( i think if you drive like a pig a couple of races it might go down, but i wont test it)
On the other side, if you get demoted its easier to go down because you will race against dirtier/less capable drivers and get into incidents more often which will get you even lower and so on.
So far i have had tons of fun and almos 100% clean racing since reaching SR S, now i have to work on my DR, which is barely B, because i had to sacrifice some places in order to avoid potencial incidents. as far as i can tell, if you end up a place lower than qualy it goes down, and the farther you finish the more it goes down, but im not sure.

I dont think thats how SR works. I got into a brawl with another car in a sport race, and we wrecked eachother 6-7 times. I believe I might have dropped one rank, and 2-3 clean races later I was back up a rank. Im pretty sure there is a limit on how much your SR can drop in one race.

Not complety like that. Few days ago I was C rating but the mess in the first 2 corners op Suzuka Made me drop to E. That was a bit annoying. But with Some effort and clean driving made it fairly fast back to C and now B.
At the start of GTS I was also a bit dissapointed with the SR rating system but now after a week it starts to grow on me, and I think it is a great improvement.
So if you get punted: take a breather, cool down, don’t try to get even with the guy in the next corner. Live now, die another day.

Back