Don't bother with sport mode

I'd like to get my 2 cents worth in on the debate, i have played every Gran Turismo except the first one, it is the game that actually got me into gaming. the one aspect i never really liked was the online lobby's which were for the most part a crash fest, so now enter sport mode, while the ranking system is far from perfect it does for the most part do what it is supposed to do, pair players of similar skill and sportsman like behavior,
I understand that people would be cheesed off when their ranking drops due to no fault of their own, it happened to me , i dropped from A back to B and yes i was not happy.......however after a couple of good races i improved back to A, and here is the thing...those races were fantastic, they were fair and closely run and incredible fun, this is the kind of racing i have always wanted from this game and now it delivers, so if someone bumps you just accept it and get on with it, the good races definitely seem to outweigh the bad ones, don't be too focused on winning and just enjoy, remember: Life's a journey, not a destination

Saying that you outright don't want to play Sport Mode is kinda dumb. Yes, people will be stupid and you may not be treated fairly but you can't expect everyone to be nice. The first race I had in Sport Mode was fantastic, and I got my first win yesterday. The experience is great for the most part, just focus on that; don't try to get angry and be a dick.

Biggest problem with sport mode right now IMO is the short races. If you want to try and improve your position or go for the win you have to be aggressive as you only have a handful of laps to make passes. This is going to result in some minimal contact and the game punishes you for everything except the tiniest of lovetaps.

There needs to be at least one endurance race (20-30 mins) alongside the sprint races as an option in sport mode.

I dont think thats how SR works. I got into a brawl with another car in a sport race, and we wrecked eachother 6-7 times. I believe I might have dropped one rank, and 2-3 clean races later I was back up a rank. Im pretty sure there is a limit on how much your SR can drop in one race.
I've witnessed a race that a destruction derby driver dropped from C to E. It's point based and I think a 10s penalty is connected to big drop in points

late-apex-racing-line.gif

Well I do apologize for being tired, But notice the green line? Generally speaking you need to be braking earlier to get the speed down as you are taking a sharper angle of attack at the very start for it to straighten out a lot faster, If you are right up somebodys bumber without considering these lines then the only one whos going to cause an incident is the car behind, The right thing to do is take an inside line and outbrake the car infront and get past! So my point still stands, It's up to the car behind to judge what the leader is going to do, The lead car always has choice of which line they are going to take always.

If you are of the mindset of "it's up to the car behind" and you do what you want regardless, especially in a public room with strangers, then any contact (although the car behind SHOULD anticipate what's unfolding) is as much on you as them. This is not a perfect world. If you want flawless racing, you need a private lobby.

You must not have read the bit of my post where I said I follow them within inches to put pressure on, force them to defend before TAKING A WIDER ENTRY for the switch back.

You can draw all the diagrams you want. In a public room, weather you are in front or not, nothing can be taken for granted. If I see someone in my mirror is likely to try to out brake me, I judge their speed and won't just turn because it's my line, then cry about them taking me out. I'll stay wide, let them out brake themselves and pick my way back past. There are to many people trying to apply real life rule sets to an online public lobby. If that is what you seek on a race to race basis, race in private.

I race with the intention of zero contact and rather than dive bomb, I will pressure the person in front. Make them spend more time looking in their mirrors than where they are going and eventually an opportunity will present itself.

I'm not saying you are wrong by the letter of the law, but you are racing anonymous strangers, and you should drive accordingly.

Last edited:
I wonder how many players have actually raced for real ?

I spent a fair few years in the 70s racing motorbikes and then in the 80s I did a couple of years rallying and also did 5 years road rallying in what was called a 12 car rally done at night on main roads. I learnt a hell of a lot about how a cars weight changed in corners and also about torque steer when changing gear mid corner in FF cars.

I tell you all i would have never followed another driver as close as i've seen a lot in online games. One crash then and it could well have been game over (dead)

I wonder how many players have actually raced for real ?

I spent a fair few years in the 70s racing motorbikes and then in the 80s I did a couple of years rallying and also did 5 years road rallying in what was called a 12 car rally done at night on main roads. I learnt a hell of a lot about how a cars weight changed in corners and also about torque steer when changing gear mid corner in FF cars.

I tell you all i would have never followed another driver as close as i've seen a lot in online games. One crash then and it could well have been game over (dead)
You don't die in videgames. In karting we raced an inch or two apart lap after lap with no problem.

You don't die in videgames. In karting we raced an inch or two apart lap after lap with no problem.

Exactly thats why we have so many accidents. Did kart races but nothing official the motor club I was in did a 2 monthly visit to one of the local kart tracks and yes they where bloody close and appeared so fast that low to the ground.

Exactly thats why we have so many accidents. Did kart races but nothing official the motor club I was in did a 2 monthly visit to one of the local kart tracks and yes they where bloody close and appeared so fast that low to the ground.
But I don't think the problem in this game has anything to do with following too closely. It has to do with a lack of respect for other drivers on the part of some participants. Everyone but for the most raw rookie has a thorough understanding of what their limits are. They know whether they can follow someone closely into the braking zone or not. When you have respect for other drivers to you back off a little before you get there if you know you aren't up to the task. Even then I think most of the incidents are deliberate rather than honest errors.

...you can have all SR's green in a race, but one orange and you will stay on same rating, if you get a red one, you'll probably drop for a rank... and you'll need 3-4 clean races to get one rank up...

This is not true.

I had a race last night on Dragon Tail, on the last corner there was a large group of us, a couple at the front of the train bumped the wall out of the chicane so we were extra bottle necked around the last corner.

I took a tight inside line and one of the drivers tried to go outside to inside and turned right into my drivers door. I got a -SR notice, and he did as well likely, however we both stayed on track.
We both ended the race with a positive SR rating at the end.

Conversely in a different race on turn 2 of the last lap 3rd place had a good run on me going so I decided to take the inside line rather than the usual drivers line, he doubled down on passing me inside and I closed the door, he ended up coming in way too hot and slammed me off track (I was clean ahead, didn't cut across any of his car, he was just overly aggresive).
I didn't get any -SR and he got a penalty (don't know how much, but he ended the race with a -1sec penalty).

My SR was positive at the end and his was neutral, as that was likely his only accident all race.

This was all at DR:B, SR:B

So from what I understand - the SR system allows for a bump maybe even two but if the rest of the race is clean you can still be positive.
You can be penalized and still come out neutral.

They do need to fix a few algorithms, there have been a few times where I've been taken out but then given a penalty. All I can assume is the code written assumed that I made an illegal maneuver to block and that caused the accident - when I clearly didn't.

So far for me the SR system has been hit and miss, sometimes it makes bad mistakes and other times it seems to be fairly smart - I'm sure improvements will be made, that being said - the racing has been genuinely enjoyable.

I must say I remember when I had high A rating..i don't get penalized harshly when tapped. I miss those days..everything fell apart when the quali times weren't loading. The DR in the races were all over the place. A lot of slower drivers caused some pile ups and incidents. People were getting lapped on susuka short.

This is not true.

I had a race last night .........

This was all at DR:B, SR:B

So from what I understand - the SR system allows for a bump maybe even two but if the rest of the race is clean you can still be positive.
You can be penalized and still come out neutral.

They do need to fix a few algorithms, there have been a few times where I've been taken out but then given a penalty. All I can assume is the code written assumed that I made an illegal maneuver to block and that caused the accident - when I clearly didn't.

So far for me the SR system has been hit and miss, sometimes it makes bad mistakes and other times it seems to be fairly smart - I'm sure improvements will be made, that being said - the racing has been genuinely enjoyable.

if youre rating gets higher, you will be punished harder.
if you get one orange SR on S rating, chances are 90% you will get an negative rating after the race, or at least it stays the same.

Still haven't got 1st place online Smh!!! Everybody just seems faster I swear !!! The best I got was 3rd place ughhhhh
If the system works as it should, each player is only going to win about 5% of the time. That means you could go 38 races in a row without winning, win two, and be right on average.

And....seeing as races are now daily, rather than weekly, there will most likely be even more collisions because so many will be just getting stuck in racing and not practicing enough.

Unless Sony are experimenting with server usage, I and many others I'm sure will be disappointed by this. I thought a lot the complaints and threats about GTS dying because races weren't going to frequent enough was a lot of hot air, but obviously Sony have listened to folks who will be bored of the game in a few weeks, so it is surprising how such a significant decision can be influenced by poor judgement.

trying to get GT’s casual fanbase to adhere to actual racing rules is a monumental task, and the current state of sport mode is a fine example of it, i get shunted and divebombed in corners 30x more than in PCars or iRacing.

I just raced with the Renault rs1 on the nurburgring gp and i was on 8th place trying to catch up so bad but I was way slower than the gtrs and BMW m4s smh lol thanks for the info by the way !! It was still pretty fun
If the system works as it should, each player is only going to win about 5% of the time. That means you could go 38 races in a row without winning, win two, and be right on average.

And....seeing as races are now daily, rather than weekly, there will most likely be even more collisions because so many will be just getting stuck in racing and not practicing enough.

Unless Sony are experimenting with server usage, I and many others I'm sure will be disappointed by this. I thought a lot the complaints and threats about GTS dying because races weren't going to frequent enough was a lot of hot air, but obviously Sony have listened to folks who will be bored of the game in a few weeks, so it is surprising how such a significant decision can be influenced by poor judgement.

I am hoping the track changes were because of the patch, a new set of tracks daily will limit me to choose either gr3 or gr4. I would prefer to choose to try both during each set, rather than just spend my time in sport mode in one car while i play.

Right now I wouldn't bother with sport mode, the whole ranking system is broken to hell. I was B and B last night get on this morning do a few races get rammed from behind and pushed off the track at every corner which has now lowered me to C and C. I cannot escape that area now it's just full everyone ramming and pushing. The game punishes clean racers for others mistakes. Was just doing the GR3 race over took person in first place he didn't like it so ploughed into me at the next corner. He didn't even receive a penalty. The whole driver and sportsmanship system is broken and in my opinion they either get rid of it now to fix it or drop the sport mode until it's fixed. Penalty system need to be reworked also tired of received penalties for getting rammed and brake checked by the race leader because I'm right behind him. It's impossible to have a clean race once it drops below a B you just paired up with idiots that ruin it for others.
I've been rammed a bunch of times but learned to avoid and drove as clean as I could.

It has paid off because today I reached S rank in SR :cheers:

The system works :cheers:

How do you get up your DR? For SR you need clean races but DR?
finish the race above your qualy position, the higher the beetter, also the longer the race the more DR value. there are other factors that i don't know, because some times it goes higher than others. maybe its about the lap times or the overall time, not sure. also i think that maybe if you start on 3rd and finish 2nd i goes higher than if you start 6th and finish 5th. so far i have found a lot harder to get DR up, specially if some incident like a bump ot something make you loose some places. I've been SR S since like day two, but i can't get DR A even winning some races, i'm allways going between C and B.
anyone has a better idea how DR works? because I'm really not sure about everything i wrote.

Two races at Nurburgring GP yesterday, went from B to S in SR :embarrassed: Second race I out braked myself twice which resulted in a some off tracks and a lost position or two but no penalties. The first one was the worst I was leading the race, missed the braking point and ran wide over the grass, ghosting prevented the accident as I skittered across the track the other side luckily (slowing down on grass didn't work so well), I lost two places because of that :( The racing around me was good and fair from my POV.

Ran my first three sport races last night, not real impressed. Honestly, the races were pretty clean, but the latency issues are bad. Cars clipping out, rubber band-ing, etc. I'm sure it's got to be better on p2p, but I don't know if daily races are going to be worth doing. Most of the crashes I saw were from cars clipping in and out of view. I haven't seen it like this since Nascar Racing Online races.

One race I had qualified 3rd. On the start, before we got to the first turn I see the 12th place guy buzz the whole field on the inside. Now either the draft physics are crazy good, or there is a disparity with controller input. I'm on pad, and thatguy had to be on a wheel setup, different input latency. In a fixed race, same cars and settings, no one should fly by that fast. In the first two races, it was obvious the cars were evenly matched and the advantage wasn't the racing line, but the draft. I can live with that.

I never really got in trouble, except in instances with drivers clipping out. Hard to take a corner line when the guy in front of you is bouncing back and forth between two grooves. A few people checking up in the middle of corners got me a punting penalty, but I finished clean. I'll try it again tonight, but if this is the norm, I'll just fire up the PS3 to get my GT fix.

Ran my first three sport races last night, not real impressed. Honestly, the races were pretty clean, but the latency issues are bad. Cars clipping out, rubber band-ing, etc. I'm sure it's got to be better on p2p, but I don't know if daily races are going to be worth doing. Most of the crashes I saw were from cars clipping in and out of view. I haven't seen it like this since Nascar Racing Online races.

One race I had qualified 3rd. On the start, before we got to the first turn I see the 12th place guy buzz the whole field on the inside. Now either the draft physics are crazy good, or there is a disparity with controller input. I'm on pad, and thatguy had to be on a wheel setup, different input latency. In a fixed race, same cars and settings, no one should fly by that fast. In the first two races, it was obvious the cars were evenly matched and the advantage wasn't the racing line, but the draft. I can live with that.

I never really got in trouble, except in instances with drivers clipping out. Hard to take a corner line when the guy in front of you is bouncing back and forth between two grooves. A few people checking up in the middle of corners got me a punting penalty, but I finished clean. I'll try it again tonight, but if this is the norm, I'll just fire up the PS3 to get my GT fix.

I am not disputing what you saw, but most of the ghosting I have witnessed is because that car is doing or has just done something DUMB. Punting others, cutting corners, and the like. I have a good internet connection and haven't seen any latency where it was obvious lag causing driving issues.

I am not disputing what you saw, but most of the ghosting I have witnessed is because that car is doing or has just done something DUMB. Punting others, cutting corners, and the like. I have a good internet connection and haven't seen any latency where it was obvious lag causing driving issues.
Yeah yesterday there was an Argentine lagging badly and everybody got out of his way. Pretty soon after, he disconnected and we were able to race in peace!

In all my races, which includes both betas, he was the only the 2nd person I’ve seen lag. PD servers are working remarkably well.

I totally agree ! But I also saw a lot of instances where on a straightaway the guy in front of me was clipping side to side. Not knowing which way that drivers going makes it impossible to pass clean. One instance the guy in front of me was clipping, and some poor bastid ran up on the inside and got creamed when he "appeared" in his lane. And for me, all I could do is get off the gas, hold my line and pray they didn't suddenly appear in my line. Not a problem in a pick up race, but when your SR is impacted by it, then it's a problem.

What exactly raises/lower your driver rating? I'm stalled at DR D even though I usually finish in the top half of the field

From what I've been able to work out, top three finishes, qualifying high, and maybe even moving forward from your qualifying position (difficult if you are on pole, but maybe that also has an equivalent bonus to it). I was in B for the majority of the last week, and if you look on your profile section you'll see that under your DR is a bar that is partly filled. That is how close you are to the next rank up. I finally filled that up and hit DR-A last night.

The system is buggy and or broke but there are ways around it. I'm at A S.

If you can't get to SR A or S fairly quickly and stay there then it's you that's participating in being dirty because you can finish last but still be clean.

I got my first penalty yesterday on a final lap when someone rammed me into the wall and when I bounced off the wall and struck him >_< I didn't know it until just before the finish line. But I still managed to stay in the S.

So far Sport mode has been pretty good at keeping (most) of the riff raff out and in the normal lobbies where I'll only race with friends.

Jerome

Back