Don't bother with sport mode

I am not disputing what you saw, but most of the ghosting I have witnessed is because that car is doing or has just done something DUMB. Punting others, cutting corners, and the like. I have a good internet connection and haven't seen any latency where it was obvious lag causing driving issues.
i haven't seen any lag, clipping or anything either, actually i am very impressed given the amount of cars because on every other game I've seen some king of lag, maybe its your IP or something

i haven't seen any lag, clipping or anything either, actually i am very impressed given the amount of cars because on every other game I've seen some king of lag, maybe its your IP or something

Ive only witnessed one bought of lagging and it was pretty horrendous I posted pole position and started at front on Dragon trail got to the first tight R/H at bottom of hill with a 2 to 3 sec lead on second lap then boom 3 or 4 cars just magically appears in front and so close i didnt even have time to blink, It was carnage I hit the 1st one and all heel was let lose cars crashing all over.

\its not my internet either as i have 200 meg fibre optic download and 30 meg upload. Possibly the best connection available in the UK.

I'd like to get my 2 cents worth in on the debate, i have played every Gran Turismo except the first one, it is the game that actually got me into gaming. the one aspect i never really liked was the online lobby's which were for the most part a crash fest, so now enter sport mode, while the ranking system is far from perfect it does for the most part do what it is supposed to do, pair players of similar skill and sportsman like behavior,
I understand that people would be cheesed off when their ranking drops due to no fault of their own, it happened to me , i dropped from A back to B and yes i was not happy.......however after a couple of good races i improved back to A, and here is the thing...those races were fantastic, they were fair and closely run and incredible fun, this is the kind of racing i have always wanted from this game and now it delivers, so if someone bumps you just accept it and get on with it, the good races definitely seem to outweigh the bad ones, don't be too focused on winning and just enjoy, remember: Life's a journey, not a destination

Completely agree. Have been playing the game for the last two days and while the system is not entirely perfect, it is the most fun I‘ve ever had with an online game. After getting out of the lower SR and being now a B, most races are tense, but seldom unfair. Most of the bumping and crashing into others seems to happen because braking points at several decisive spots, especially chicanes, are quite different for different drivers. I don‘t know how to approach this problem just yet, but I think still need some time to become more aware of my surroundings, especially in high speed cars.

Yeah, same here. Since forcibly getting a new router from my internet provider, my download and upload speeds on the PS4 have been cut severly (apparently because of some ipv3 incompatibility of the router). Even with this problem I have yet to encounter any lag in the game whatsoever.

Sport mode has gone downhill ever since tuning has been enabled. All cars are tuned for straight line speed and it's not having a negative impact on handling. There's no point in bothering with Gr.4, whoever has best tune will win 1st place. It's not about being a better driver. Gr.3 is more balanced since these people tend to make more mistakes. And of course Gr.3 servers are not working currently.

Sport mode has gone downhill ever since tuning has been enabled. All cars are tuned for straight line speed and it's not having a negative impact on handling. There's no point in bothering with Gr.4, whoever has best tune will win 1st place. It's not about being a better driver. Gr.3 is more balanced since these people tend to make more mistakes. And of course Gr.3 servers are not working currently.
If you qualify, your grouping should be reflective of your qualifying time. In that case tuning, or lack thereof, shouldn't make any difference.

I hardly ever raced online before GT Sport. I hated racing online. as I am a casual gamer, using public races, I very rarely got to enjoy an event without coming across some idiot.

I do enjoy GTS, and generally feel that the DR & SR ratings work well. i am slow - my DR rating is DR, but i do try to be a clean and fair competitor. My SR rating is an A

Generally, races are enjoyable, and have had lots of clean side by side racing. Invariably, I look back and monitor the gap between the cars in front and back. In most races I start somewhere between 3rd and 8th, and often climb a couple of places so usually finish 2nd to 5th.

I do not think that the SR currently needs to change very much.

I’m actually really happy with Sport mode so far. The rating system isn’t perfect, but I’ve found that for the most part it has worked out quite well. I’ve been involved in incidents with other drivers who have made rather careless moves but never has my rating dropped down a level due to that.

Maybe it’s just my region (Asia & Australasia) but I don’t think I’ve ever come across a truely malicious driver. There has certainly been a few selfish drivers, who don’t care about anyone else, but I don’t think any of their incidents were pure maliciousness. I’ve found that most incidents I’ve been involved in could come down to inexperience or just general accidents.

I am in Asia, and witnessed lots of poor racing, and to be honest am guilty of far too many mistakes. However, i agree with your assessment.

I'd like to get my 2 cents worth in on the debate, i have played every Gran Turismo except the first one, it is the game that actually got me into gaming. the one aspect i never really liked was the online lobby's which were for the most part a crash fest, so now enter sport mode, while the ranking system is far from perfect it does for the most part do what it is supposed to do, pair players of similar skill and sportsman like behavior,
I understand that people would be cheesed off when their ranking drops due to no fault of their own, it happened to me , i dropped from A back to B and yes i was not happy.......however after a couple of good races i improved back to A, and here is the thing...those races were fantastic, they were fair and closely run and incredible fun, this is the kind of racing i have always wanted from this game and now it delivers, so if someone bumps you just accept it and get on with it, the good races definitely seem to outweigh the bad ones, don't be too focused on winning and just enjoy, remember: Life's a journey, not a destination

I agree.
If i try to drive cleanly, my SR rating increases.

Saying that you outright don't want to play Sport Mode is kinda dumb. Yes, people will be stupid and you may not be treated fairly but you can't expect everyone to be nice. The first race I had in Sport Mode was fantastic, and I got my first win yesterday. The experience is great for the most part, just focus on that; don't try to get angry and be a dick.

agreed

If you are of the mindset of "it's up to the car behind" and you do what you want regardless, especially in a public room with strangers, then any contact (although the car behind SHOULD anticipate what's unfolding) is as much on you as them. This is not a perfect world. If you want flawless racing, you need a private lobby.

You must not have read the bit of my post where I said I follow them within inches to put pressure on, force them to defend before TAKING A WIDER ENTRY for the switch back.

You can draw all the diagrams you want. In a public room, weather you are in front or not, nothing can be taken for granted. If I see someone in my mirror is likely to try to out brake me, I judge their speed and won't just turn because it's my line, then cry about them taking me out. I'll stay wide, let them out brake themselves and pick my way back past. There are to many people trying to apply real life rule sets to an online public lobby. If that is what you seek on a race to race basis, race in private.

I race with the intention of zero contact and rather than dive bomb, I will pressure the person in front. Make them spend more time looking in their mirrors than where they are going and eventually an opportunity will present itself.

I'm not saying you are wrong by the letter of the law, but you are racing anonymous strangers, and you should drive accordingly.

Keep an eye on the cars around, and drive accordingly.
In the Gr3 races, recently went through the esses side by side, neither wanted to cause a crash, nor give an inch. Had a tough, but clean races for a couple of laps.

But I don't think the problem in this game has anything to do with following too closely. It has to do with a lack of respect for other drivers on the part of some participants. Everyone but for the most raw rookie has a thorough understanding of what their limits are. They know whether they can follow someone closely into the braking zone or not. When you have respect for other drivers to you back off a little before you get there if you know you aren't up to the task. Even then I think most of the incidents are deliberate rather than honest errors.

This is not true.

I had a race last night on Dragon Tail, on the last corner there was a large group of us, a couple at the front of the train bumped the wall out of the chicane so we were extra bottle necked around the last corner.

I took a tight inside line and one of the drivers tried to go outside to inside and turned right into my drivers door. I got a -SR notice, and he did as well likely, however we both stayed on track.
We both ended the race with a positive SR rating at the end.

Conversely in a different race on turn 2 of the last lap 3rd place had a good run on me going so I decided to take the inside line rather than the usual drivers line, he doubled down on passing me inside and I closed the door, he ended up coming in way too hot and slammed me off track (I was clean ahead, didn't cut across any of his car, he was just overly aggresive).
I didn't get any -SR and he got a penalty (don't know how much, but he ended the race with a -1sec penalty).

My SR was positive at the end and his was neutral, as that was likely his only accident all race.

This was all at DR:B, SR:B

So from what I understand - the SR system allows for a bump maybe even two but if the rest of the race is clean you can still be positive.
You can be penalized and still come out neutral.

They do need to fix a few algorithms, there have been a few times where I've been taken out but then given a penalty. All I can assume is the code written assumed that I made an illegal maneuver to block and that caused the accident - when I clearly didn't.

So far for me the SR system has been hit and miss, sometimes it makes bad mistakes and other times it seems to be fairly smart - I'm sure improvements will be made, that being said - the racing has been genuinely enjoyable.

I had a race, where I braked later than the cars in front (I honestly think they braked too early) and fortunately I ghosted through them. Don't think I got a penalty either!

Completely agree. Have been playing the game for the last two days and while the system is not entirely perfect, it is the most fun I‘ve ever had with an online game. After getting out of the lower SR and being now a B, most races are tense, but seldom unfair. Most of the bumping and crashing into others seems to happen because braking points at several decisive spots, especially chicanes, are quite different for different drivers. I don‘t know how to approach this problem just yet, but I think still need some time to become more aware of my surroundings, especially in high speed cars.

I agree

Sports mode is 90% of the game. Learn to drive clean and get faster and it gets better and better. My experience 2 weeks into GTS is patience and practice pay off. At first it was crash, smash and bash. Now I'm in SR S and the racing is fast, clean and very competitive. Challenging and fun. Just don't plan on winning every race. Improve qualifying times, race clean and make a few clean passes each race. I've only won one race so far but I've had great racing for spots 3-6.

Sports mode is 90% of the game. Learn to drive clean and get faster and it gets better and better. My experience 2 weeks into GTS is patience and practice pay off. At first it was crash, smash and bash. Now I'm in SR S and the racing is fast, clean and very competitive. Challenging and fun. Just don't plan on winning every race. Improve qualifying times, race clean and make a few clean passes each race. I've only won one race so far but I've had great racing for spots 3-6.

^This.

You pretty much nailed it on the head. Don't plan on winning every race.

As long as you finish, that's all I aim for. Of course, other than aiming for first. :lol:

I have always raced dirty (because everyone else does, keeps a level playing field). I have no problem with the way things are. Racing dirty and winning is a skill set in itself.

I have always raced dirty (because everyone else does, keeps a level playing field). I have no problem with the way things are. Racing dirty and winning is a skill set in itself.
Spoiling the Game for everyone and proud of it.......you're real special :banghead:

You can race dirty if you want, but you'll never get into the upper levels where it takes real driving skill to win. You can also drive drunk if you want.

Last edited:
Whatever. Just sayin'. And I aren't spoiling the game for everyone. Lots of people like to drive dirty. In GT6 I only ever drove in dirty rooms, now it's not possible to find them. But I find that every room in GT Sport is dirty. It's changed the game I admit. (And yes, I am real special).

Whatever. Just sayin'. And I aren't spoiling the game for everyone. Lots of people like to drive dirty. In GT6 I only ever drove in dirty rooms, now it's not possible to find them. But I find that every room in GT Sport is dirty. It's changed the game I admit. (And yes, I am real special).

I dont agree with dirty racing in sport mode, There are plenty of lobbies titled "Dirty racers" in the normal online lobbies, That's where dirty stuff should stay, with folk that are like minded. Sports mode is about clean racing.

Ive posted this else where.. But yeah - dont bother.. ;):lol:  and also for anyone wonderind if one really can find a racingline in traffic.. 👍

THIS IS GRAN TURISMO SPORT :cheers:

My first race with Class A drivers and it was AMAZING. And was no slow race either - FL around 1:44 even though EVERYONE was fighting for positions. Fastest guys with 1:42 qualifyings. I did try my best to avoid contact. First the duel with the GT86 and then the threesome with the other GT-Rs..:drool: Didnt gain too many positions at the end but was still ecstatic after the race.:cheers: I have never experienced quite anything like this before, and it just gets better as one goes up in ranks.

I guess few guys got small few sec penalties at the end which threw them way back in final standings in such a tight race​

Just had a race at DR:D / SR:S . All top drivers are clean. Very great passing and not blocking if I coming from inside. My only suggestion is the system will notify the backmarkers to wave the blue flag for them indicating somebody faster is approacing.

Nice racing Haitauer. Fast, tight and clean. This game is the ****z. My last race at blue moon was really tight, I didn't get any penalties, started 4th and finished 3rd, but my S rating went from blue to white due to small contacts in that last corner. There's bound to be some touching sometimes, just not intentional.
To each his own. Over time like minded and driving folk will sort themselves out within the rankings and there will be different flavors of GTS all within the same game. The E and D groups might replace Driveclub. But driving in DR A is more challenging and fun than the lower levels. Many will never know cause they can't get there.
One of the problems with dirty driving is that it's hard to unlearn it. It's a whole different skill set and mind set.

The tuning has made the sport lobbies better, in Gr.4 I've been using my Atenza/Mazda 6 and with the setup I've put on it it's pretty much unbeatable so long as a top 10 in the world driver in a scirocco isn't in the room.

Without tuning this car is next to useless in laptime.

One of the problems with dirty driving is that it's hard to unlearn it. It's a whole different skill set and mind set.
Yes. One has to stop thinking winning or gaining positions at all costs is the goal. I cant enjoy winning someone by dirty racing - unless its racing for fun.

Well, by my experience, in Gr.3 I won all 3 races I was in so far and have few to none battles, so can't judge. But in Gr.4 I raced these days quite a bit on Kyoto and it seems that GT-R users if notice they can't beat you by skill, they will beat you by smashing you around. Still got 2-3 really good races over the around 10 I had, battling against those overpowered cars on my 4C Gr.4 and had fun, but man when they decide you shouldn't stay between them to ruin their supremacy there's no way you can survive to that...

Right now I wouldn't bother with sport mode, the whole ranking system is broken to hell. I was B and B last night get on this morning do a few races get rammed from behind and pushed off the track at every corner which has now lowered me to C and C. I cannot escape that area now it's just full everyone ramming and pushing. The game punishes clean racers for others mistakes. Was just doing the GR3 race over took person in first place he didn't like it so ploughed into me at the next corner. He didn't even receive a penalty. The whole driver and sportsmanship system is broken and in my opinion they either get rid of it now to fix it or drop the sport mode until it's fixed. Penalty system need to be reworked also tired of received penalties for getting rammed and brake checked by the race leader because I'm right behind him. It's impossible to have a clean race once it drops below a B you just paired up with idiots that ruin it for others.

Wow, 2019 and nothing much has changed! Bummer!

I wonder if these same people would quit all over again, if faced with the problems we have in 2019? Weekly races, region split, disconnect glitch, et al...

The real question is, who had it worse, us or them? The answer is a painful realization.

Tons has changed, we just have come full circle :cheers:

Strict penalties were introduced with 10 sec penalties for the slightest contact. It cleaned up racing fast, yet then the fast people started complaining that rubbing is racing and they have to be able to drive bumper to bumper or else it's no fun. Plus FIA races with all flashing penalty signs were ugly to watch as well as the constant penalty serving on the racing line turning it into a circus.

So since halfway 2018 penalties got less severe and turned off altogether for minor contacts, track limits became more and more loose with smaller penalties (the days of 10 sec for nicking a bit of kerb on Monza!) as well as less sensitive walls, and it became easier to scrub penalties without slowing down much. So here we are, back in 2017.

Other changes include lapped cars are now ghosted as well as penalty serving cars with the actual time displayed and communicated between clients. SR Down arrows have disappeared and re-appeared (SR was always deducted just not shown) Report function and disqualification have been added. DR resets have been fixed (No more reset upwards to 50K, exploit that was used a lot) SR budget per track has been tweaked as well as SR deductions for contacts. Matchmaking has been tweaked to increase SR range selection to put more people of similar pace together.

Yet it turns out, most people won't change their behavior no matter what PD tries.

Tons has changed, we just have come full circle :cheers:

Strict penalties were introduced with 10 sec penalties for the slightest contact. It cleaned up racing fast, yet then the fast people started complaining that rubbing is racing and they have to be able to drive bumper to bumper or else it's no fun. Plus FIA races with all flashing penalty signs were ugly to watch as well as the constant penalty serving on the racing line turning it into a circus.

So since halfway 2018 penalties got less severe and turned off altogether for minor contacts, track limits became more and more loose with smaller penalties (the days of 10 sec for nicking a bit of kerb on Monza!) as well as less sensitive walls, and it became easier to scrub penalties without slowing down much. So here we are, back in 2017.

Other changes include lapped cars are now ghosted as well as penalty serving cars with the actual time displayed and communicated between clients. SR Down arrows have disappeared and re-appeared (SR was always deducted just not shown) Report function and disqualification have been added. DR resets have been fixed (No more reset upwards to 50K, exploit that was used a lot) SR budget per track has been tweaked as well as SR deductions for contacts. Matchmaking has been tweaked to increase SR range selection to put more people of similar pace together.

Yet it turns out, most people won't change their behavior no matter what PD tries.

That is great news! I stopped playing SM because of all the bullet points you just laid out. Maybe I'll finish my 70-some races to get my platinum trophy :lol:

Jerome

Join a lobby if you haven’t already considered it. This site has a bunch of dedicated ones. They’ve proven to be pretty fun and a nice reprieve from the stresses of Sport Mode. Yeah, it won’t count toward your DR/SR, but you can better control whom you play with while still competing with similarly skilled drivers. I’ve only done a few SM races since the summer. It just doesn’t do anything for me anymore and I honestly think people put way too much stock in their DR/SR ratings to actually enjoy the game. It gets to the point that some people really start coming off as blowhards.

Back