Down Shift Bug (possible fix)PS4 

• Thread starter TT92
  • 166 comments

TT92

Premium
Australia
WA
TT__777
I joined an online race late and started midfield on the grid with no practice with a Corvette C7 R at Mugello.

The good news(?) was I was smashed off the track at turn 1 and started rear of field :-( So I thought I would use the 10 laps as practice.

This thing would not downshift unless I was crawling around corners and doing about half revs. It was bad! Very bad and I have not experienced it quite this bad before and it sounded like what others have reported here on this forum.

So I cruised around cursing Kunos and was concentrating on how I was downshifting and actually having a real good look at everything. What else do you do when you are last with no hope and a broken car? ;-)

Anyway I noticed on the pedal calibration graphs the clutch was at about 10% engaged. Just a tiny bit of grey showing at the bottom of the screen so I pushed the clutch pedal a couple of times, it re-calibrated itself and the downshifts now worked perfectly.

Perhaps there may be something in this for others? Next time you are having trouble with downshifts check the clutch calibration. If I hadn't driven in bonnet view with the full HUD I probably would never have seen this and with a GT2 car there is no need to use the clutch anyway.

out of curiosity, what wheel are you using? I was starting to think I might need to replace my G29 again.

out of curiosity, what wheel are you using? I was starting to think I might need to replace my G29 again.

Thrustmaster T300, TH8A Shifter and Fantech CSP ver1 with Basherboard adapter box. The wheel is 18months old and I have used it on PCARS, Dirt Rally and GT5.

Thanks for the tip.
I've been plagued by this bug. Doesnt matter the car or ABS setting. The bugger won't downshift unless I'm at crawling speeds.
It's been bad enough that I haven't played this in 2 weeks. That makes me sad. I friggin' love driving in this game.
I'm on the PS4. G29 wheel. Where can I locate this pedal calibration settings screen to check my clutch?
Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip.
I've been plagued by this bug. Doesnt matter the car or ABS setting. The bugger won't downshift unless I'm at crawling speeds.
It's been bad enough that I haven't played this in 2 weeks. That makes me sad. I friggin' love driving in this game.
I'm on the PS4. G29 wheel. Where can I locate this pedal calibration settings screen to check my clutch?
Thanks again.

You need the full HUD showing the Tacho/gear indicator dial in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Next to this on the left is the three bar graphs. The clutch is the grey.

I thought I saw an improvement after 1.10 but it's been worse lately. Mostly using cars with H shifter nowadays to avoid the issue

Ahh, thanks Nosoks. Forgot all about the H shifter option. Gonna dig the old thing out and see if I can enjoy his game again.
Missing our TTs.

I joined an online race late and started midfield on the grid with no practice with a Corvette C7 R at Mugello.

The good news(?) was I was smashed off the track at turn 1 and started rear of field :-( So I thought I would use the 10 laps as practice.

This thing would not downshift unless I was crawling around corners and doing about half revs. It was bad! Very bad and I have not experienced it quite this bad before and it sounded like what others have reported here on this forum.

So I cruised around cursing Kunos and was concentrating on how I was downshifting and actually having a real good look at everything. What else do you do when you are last with no hope and a broken car? ;-)

Anyway I noticed on the pedal calibration graphs the clutch was at about 10% engaged. Just a tiny bit of grey showing at the bottom of the screen so I pushed the clutch pedal a couple of times, it re-calibrated itself and the downshifts now worked perfectly.

Perhaps there may be something in this for others? Next time you are having trouble with downshifts check the clutch calibration. If I hadn't driven in bonnet view with the full HUD I probably would never have seen this and with a GT2 car there is no need to use the clutch anyway.

The problem is with people like me that have the standard T150 /T300 pedals...
Cause they don't have clutch pedal... So no way to get rid of the downshift protection bug!

It would be useful that you report it on the official support forum... And if you can make a proof with an video it would even better.

Great find... But sucks for controler users and wheel users with basic T150/T300 pedal set :(

Great find... But sucks for controler users and wheel users with basic T150/T300 pedal set :(

Yes it does and I considered not posting this for that reason. But I think I have identified where the bug may be in the code and if a few more people try it we just might be onto something.

How people without a clutch get around it I do not know unless there is a patch OR they check their setup and try different clutch settings e.g try turning auto clutch On/Off. Perhaps it may be as simple as people who only have two pedal set ups have never considered looking at these options before.

Yes it does and I considered not posting this for that reason. But I think I have identified where the bug may be in the code and if a few more people try it we just might be onto something.

How people without a clutch get around it I do not know unless there is a patch OR they check their setup and try different clutch settings e.g try turning auto clutch On/Off. Perhaps it may be as simple as people who only have two pedal set ups have never considered looking at these options before.

Well.. In my case i tried it,and mostly play with autoclutch off... Cause If you play with a controller and autoclutch clutch on, some cars like the lotus exos, 98T, 49,2-Eleven get problems in the upshifting like the Pagani Huayra got... It makes a 1.000 rmp jump between shift and shift...

Playing with the wheel i have to do more testing... But autoblip influence in downshift protection also like on the 599XX.
With this car the best setting is autoclutch off and autoblip on if i remind correct, but even so there's still the abusive downshift protection bug..

We sure have a quiet annoying problem with this kind of things in the console versions.

The problem is with people like me that have the standard T150 /T300 pedals...
Cause they don't have clutch pedal... So no way to get rid of the downshift protection bug!

It would be useful that you report it on the official support forum... And if you can make a proof with an video it would even better.

Then that does not make sense because the Porsche Cayman GT4 doesn't have a clutch and the same problems happen with it at times. The clutch on the T3PA doesn't work with this car.

Then that does not make sense because the Porsche Cayman GT4 doesn't have a clutch and the same problems happen with it at times. The clutch on the T3PA doesn't work with this car.

Look at my second reply... The options autoblip and autoclutch also affect the car in different manners.. Even cars with secuencial gearboxes

Oh so the downshifting is actually a bug?? I have mentioned about this on my thread but i thought others were saying "downshifting protection for the engine" and the game is designed like this. Well, if we can downshift a tiny bit faster and properly, that would be to me more realistic.

Oh so the downshifting is actually a bug?? I have mentioned about this on my thread but i thought others were saying "downshifting protection for the engine" and the game is designed like this. Well, if we can downshift a tiny bit faster and properly, that would be to me more realistic.
Yes, and the bug was mentioned in your thread as well as the downshift protection. The ''other'' that mentions downshift protection is on PC and does not have the same issues as console users and in fairness to him, he also mentions the possibility of a bug. Downshift protection is in the game for cars that have it IRL and yesterday while driving the Alfa 4C round Nurburgring it was working perfectly for me, I only missed a few down shifts in half a dozen laps and they where more than likely my fault. I also was trying different car/track combo's yesterday looking for an answer to this problem and wouldn't you know it, everything I tried worked correctly for me both on DS4 and wheel. Hopefully there is a fix in the next update because when all is well like yesterday, it really is a great driving game.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I couldn't replicate the 10% clutch engagement mentioned in the OP at any time so I can't count that possibility out (although this doesn't seem to be the problem for some people).

Last edited:
Nice find TT92, hopefully they already figured this out though seeing as the next update is inbound. Either way, definitely report it officially.

Having a T300 with stock 2-pedal, I was excited for a second thinking "ah! I will map some less-used button as the clutch and press it at the start a few times!" Then I was like, "oh, no I won't" :lol:

Out of curiosity... Would you or any other console player indulge me for a 5-6 minute drive with the Ferrari F40 and tell me if that stupid downshift bug plagues that car too? Thanks guys...I hope they have this fixed in Tuesday's update for console.

Out of curiosity... Would you or any other console player indulge me for a 5-6 minute drive with the Ferrari F40 and tell me if that stupid downshift bug plagues that car too? Thanks guys...I hope they have this fixed in Tuesday's update for console.
Will do.

Downshift Protection does exist and certain cars are more restrictive than others, but it sounds like there's a bug in play too that's exaggerating it and making it too restrictive.

keep in mind using the H shifter only works on cars that actually have a real (quotes Clarkson) clutch and gearbox

A dev actually commented on this issue this morning on the official forums.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/down-shifting.40835/page-2#post-820031

"There is a very easy way to check if the downshift protection is the problem you are experiencing or not: get a car with manual gearbox and check if the problem is still there. If the problem is not there then you are experiencing DP, if the problem is still there then it's something else so all the talking about DP is useless."

So basically get into an older car like the Cobra or one of the German Touring Cars and see if you still have the issue ever. Personally I have never run into this issue with my setup, not saying there is not an issue though.

Please those of you that have this downshift issue, go to the official forum and test what Stefano is asking to help him out. It is rare that the devs are directly asking console people to help troubleshoot and the knuckle heads who are responding to him are not answering his question.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/down-shifting.40835/page-2#post-820167

***More so if you have a xbox one and G920

I just read that whole thread and I for one do not want to be in the middle of that argument.

I see the same issue is there that quite often pops up here, PC users telling console users they don't have any problem at all because it is fine on PC.

Perhaps you should post a link to this thread on that site instead ;-) You never know, perhaps you would convince Steffano to become a member here ;-)

Back