Down Shift Bug (possible fix)PS4 

• Thread starter TT92
  • 166 comments
I think this may be relevant/important also?

[GEARBOX]
CHANGE_UP_TIME=80 ; Change up time in milliseconds
CHANGE_DN_TIME=100 ; Change down time in milliseconds
AUTO_CUTOFF_TIME=85 ; Auto cutoff time for upshifts in milliseconds, 0 to disable
SUPPORTS_SHIFTER=0 ; 1=Car supports shifter, 0=car supports only paddles
VALID_SHIFT_RPM_WINDOW=1300 ; Range window additional to the precise rev matching rpm that permits gear engage.
CONTROLS_WINDOW_GAIN=0.4 ; Multiplayer for gas,brake,clutch pedals that permits gear engage on different rev matching rpm. the lower the more difficult.
INERTIA=0.0121 ; Gearbox inertia. default values to 0.02 if not set

I think this may be relevant/important also?

[GEARBOX]
CHANGE_UP_TIME=80 ; Change up time in milliseconds
CHANGE_DN_TIME=100 ; Change down time in milliseconds
AUTO_CUTOFF_TIME=85 ; Auto cutoff time for upshifts in milliseconds, 0 to disable
SUPPORTS_SHIFTER=0 ; 1=Car supports shifter, 0=car supports only paddles
VALID_SHIFT_RPM_WINDOW=1300 ; Range window additional to the precise rev matching rpm that permits gear engage.
CONTROLS_WINDOW_GAIN=0.4 ; Multiplayer for gas,brake,clutch pedals that permits gear engage on different rev matching rpm. the lower the more difficult.
INERTIA=0.0121 ; Gearbox inertia. default values to 0.02 if not set

Those are very useful information. From what I know, some cars like Ferrari 458 allow aggressive downshift that can rev the engine to redline on rapid downshift ( from seeing onboard video - Best Motoring races ) - this maybe be dependent on drive mode as well and assist setting on the 458, similar if not more aggressive to that 991 GT3 Cup video I posted on page 5. I have seen similar aggressive downshift also on the Gallardo Superleggera Best Motoring battle as well as banging on limiter due to late shifting up.

It is possible to hit on rev limiter on downshift on real cars with paddle shifter when done in rapid succession and with aggressive braking ( though also depend on the car and assists setting )

Edit - Just fixed my typing

I have been thinking on this all day. The question is "do we know if the PS4 game has the identical parameters as PC?" When ported across from PC were there any discrepancies introduced in the programming?
:indiff: That's the million dollar question, isn't it? My inclination is to say, "Of course they're the same. These are only text files. Anything can read text in the proper format!". Ya know? I can't imagine why the text files would have to be changed at all going from PC -> PS4.

However, the fact that you don't have the ability to adjust the rear aero in the SF15-T makes me worried that perhaps they did have to go in and change something in order to let the consoles read these types of files. And in that process, perhaps they didn't carry the rear aero lines over or something. Here is why I think that...

This is the setup screen on PC. Each one of those items that can be modified is placed on the screen based on a file called setup.ini... If it's not in the file setup.ini it won't appear on that screen (as far as I know).

B5WPliq.jpg

In that file setup.ini is a whole bunch of entries that look something like this:

Code:
[CAMBER_LF]
SHOW_CLICKS=0
TAB=ALIGNMENT
NAME=CAMBER_LF
MIN=-3.5        ;degrees
MAX=1
STEP=1
POS_X=0
POS_Y=0
HELP=HELP_LF_CAMBER

[CAMBER_RF]
SHOW_CLICKS=0
TAB=ALIGNMENT
NAME=CAMBER_RF
MIN=-3.5
MAX=1
STEP=1
POS_X=1
POS_Y=0
HELP=HELP_RF_CAMBER

Because those entries are in the file, it will show up on the PC Car Setup screen under the tab called "Alignment".

I'm guessing that the reason you can't adjust the rear aero for your SF15-T is because your game is missing something equivalent to:

Code:
[WING_3]
SHOW_CLICKS=0
TAB=AERO
NAME=Rear wing
MIN=0
MAX=30
STEP=1
POS_X=0.5
POS_Y=4
HELP=HELP_REAR_WING

Full disclosure, the above happens to be from the F138, not the SF15. I don't open up every car...only cars that I want tire info from.

This is all just speculation, so please, don't go running off to the Official Forums screaming, "You forgot to put this in setup.ini!!!" because you very well may look foolish in the process. I have no idea how the PS4 works. For all I know there is only 1 big file with car setup data in it. Data could be stored in a table-like format, almost like a spreadsheet...I have no idea. Kunos is going to fix it when they fix it.

Maybe somebody just missed a line of code? You know how the rush and pressure for deadlines could cause some missing code...

Maybe somebody just missed a line of code? You know how the rush and pressure for deadlines could cause some missing code...
This one is definitely a strange one. I didn't mean to pull the conversation off-topic. I just wanted to try and show examples of why I find it so strange that something like "Aero Settings" are different between the two systems. My belief is, whatever the reason, I think this particular issue should be an incredibly simple fix.

:indiff: That's the million dollar question, isn't it? My inclination is to say, "Of course they're the same. These are only text files. Anything can read text in the proper format!". Ya know? I can't imagine why the text files would have to be changed at all going from PC -> PS4.

However, the fact that you don't have the ability to adjust the rear aero in the SF15-T makes me worried that perhaps they did have to go in and change something in order to let the consoles read these types of files. And in that process, perhaps they didn't carry the rear aero lines over or something. Here is why I think that...

This is all just speculation, so please, don't go running off to the Official Forums screaming, "You forgot to put this in setup.ini!!!" because you very well may look foolish in the process. I have no idea how the PS4 works. For all I know there is only 1 big file with car setup data in it. Data could be stored in a table-like format, almost like a spreadsheet...I have no idea. Kunos is going to fix it when they fix it.

I really have no intention, ever, of running off to the official forum and discussing anything there ;-)

I have noticed some discrepancies with the PS4 set ups. As we are all aware now from no Rear down Force adjustments or DRS on the F1 cars to some cars having wrong setup up data from left to right e.g camber or toe.

Question: On the F1 cars can you adjust the under body aero as in real life?

I do think we can now state very confidently that the game is quite different PC to console (I am assuming the XBone is similarly nobbled) and we can assume it is more than just a version difference.

Have any of you tested this with automatic transmission?

I'm new to the game, but I have noticed some cars are difficult to down shift anywhere near the red line.

I haven't tested this, but I did notice something whilst playing last night and after reading something on the AC forums. I was trying auto gears, in the Audi Quattro, and I could force down changes that buzzed the limiter.

As I said, no extensive testing, just an observation.

Have any of you tested this with automatic transmission?
Funny you mention. I observed very late downshifting with AT yesterday. I was messing around with DS4 and had to do auto trans because I can't drive for spit. (I drive with a wheel normally, was trying to make the game playable with DS4 out of curiosity.)

Anyhow, example: chicane in Nurb GP GT before the last turn. With M3 GT2 I'd usually take it in 3rd, and the game would have me in 5th if I carried the speed I wanted. Same with T1, went from 6 to 2 in like the last 50m before I turned in haha. I won't say it's "the bug" or anything, just odd behavior. ABS (yes I turned it to ON) was definitely happening heavily, might be a factor similar to downshift big. I didn't spend enough time with the controller to be able to tell if ABS seemed related to the late downshifting for sure. My trigger modulation is abominable anyhow.

A small update on this: yesterday I drove the GT3 RS for some time and did not encounter any problems.

Having ABS and PDK transmission (meaning I was using the paddle shifters), this was a strong candidate for the problem to show up - just like the Cayman GT4 Clubsport - but not once did I miss a downshift, even with some aggressive braking going on.

So, again, my experience is that I have yet to encounter the problem since v1.11. Which I know is kind of weird, since Kunos didn't even acknowledge the problem.

So, again, my experience is that I have yet to encounter the problem since v1.11. Which I know is kind of weird, since Kunos didn't even acknowledge the problem.

If you tell someone you fixed a problem you admit to that problem and hence lose face. So if you just fix it and don't tell anyone then there was no problem and you are able to hold your head high.

BTW racing online over the last couple of days with the Cayman GT4 I seem to be missing the occasional up shift. So either my T300 is going faulty or there is another problem creeping in. The way to avoid it is to shift slowly and deliberately. The usual quick flick of the paddle seems to result in missed shifts more often. I also should add the paddle still goes "click" but the up shift does not occur (sometimes) and only on the rev limiter. Weird!

Which rim?

I was getting missed downshifts on the Maserati GT4 while braking and the revs were low. The car doesn't even have ABS.

Mine sometimes does a magic upshift. Not often but has happened.
Early T300 wheels did suffer from Phantom Button Presses and mine did a fair bit in PCARS but it is almost non existent now. I used to get the PS4 Media Share button activating. Not fun mid corner in a race I can tell you >:-(

Google it, there is a lot written about it.

I did rectify mine. I had a slightly loose button on the wheel. When I connected it to the laptop button 13 was lit up which was the PS button. Had to insert a little piece of black foam behind the button switch to stop it moving.

Early T300 wheels did suffer from Phantom Button Presses and mine did a fair bit in PCARS but it is almost non existent now. I used to get the PS4 Media Share button activating. Not fun mid corner in a race I can tell you >:-(

Google it, there is a lot written about it.
Today I had it one time just in a good hotlap dammit

The wheel never really feels that tight when it slots into the PS2 connector until the sliding screw shell slips over...

Its a really poor supposedly quick release.

[Edit] Think I've found the culprit to the poor connection. Stripped the PS2 connector from the wheel and the part with the plastic screw shell. The PS2 connector wiggles in the main servo base.

Put an old PS2 mouse in that seems to have thicker pins with no play. Its solid.

Seems the pins were slightly out causing the play. Isn't much in it but straightening them slighty has made the connection tighter which is likely causing the random button presses as it moves that tiny bit.

Last edited:
Back