Dr. Kazunori Yamauchi Gives Lecture on Gran Turismo's Driving Physics & Production

Wasn't the countach along with other GT6's Lamborghini's mentioned in the "credit" page of GTS? Could PDI be doing what Turn 10 did with Forza 5?

...as far as I know, older GT games were also designed with point cloud modeling. I remember seeing SSR11 in point cloud.

...so, where is that Countach in GTS? :)

XXI
Taking from the article, specifically this paragraph..

“The most difficult simulation is the tire model,” Kazunori said. “It was actually not that difficult for us to simulate tires that could match real-world lap-times; we did that accurately for the first time back in 2007. The difficulty comes in making that simulation drivable in the game.”

I would like to hear more about that last sentence, and can't help but wonder if each car has a superb/loose physics model, then they smooth it over to fit the "everyone" category.

I know what I'm trying to say here, just can't quite describe it.
that sentence grab my intention too like: oh! Kaz seems to mean that if PD uses the realistic tyre model they managed to get, the game would be too hard for most of the customers so let's make it less " simulation like " to have an understandable game
#the real sweetened simulator :D

that sentence grab my intention too like: oh! Kaz seems to mean that if PD uses the realistic tyre model they managed to get, the game would be too hard for most of the customers so let's make it less " simulation like " to have an understandable game
#the real sweetened simulator :D

Are you trying to say GT Sport physics are like a bag of Splenda?

As in trying to be "The real Confectionette" but not quite there?

Back to that one sentence in the article maybe I'm reading too much into it, maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's exactly what I thought.

No simulated tire flex, no tire pressures, very basic heating, the tires are just how much grip and how much grip they lose over a certain amount of time

Some sims simulate a huge list of things and the overall is very disappointing compared to real life.

Cars seem heavier, slower, slower at wheel reactions, exagerated spins and with poor and no fun feeling driving them...

It's like the case of recording real sounds and poorly implementing in the most cases in GT6 and in many other sims. It's real data but unreal result compared to real life.

XXI
Are you trying to say GT Sport physics are like a bag of Splenda?

As in trying to be "The real Confectionette" but not quite there?

Back to that one sentence in the article maybe I'm reading too much into it, maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's exactly what I thought.

to me, that sentence is some kind of confession from Kaz', maybe i'm reading too much too ...

i'm trying to say basically what is said here, it's really about the tyre physics itself

No simulated tire flex, no tire pressures, very basic heating, the tires are just how much grip and how much grip they lose over a certain amount of time

Some sims simulate a huge list of things and the overall is very disappointing compared to real life.

Cars seem heavier, slower, slower at wheel reactions, exagerated spins and with poor and no fun feeling driving them...

It's like the case of recording real sounds and poorly implementing in the most cases in GT6 and in many other sims. It's real data but unreal result compared to real life.
You know not all cars turn in equally right? Some are heavier, some handle like pigs, some spin easier than others etc. And some games are able to put all that together in a package that works quite well out of the box, some are even on console. Not perfect mind you, but quite a few steps beyond generic.

For those who wondering "where is the Countach?" I already took some screenshots of it :

Screenshot_20171101-041042.jpg
Screenshot_20171101-041733.jpg
Screenshot_20171101-041758.jpg

You know not all cars turn in equally right? Some are heavier, some handle like pigs, some spin easier than others etc. And some games are able to put all that together in a package that works quite well out of the box, some are even on console. Not perfect mind you, but quite a few steps beyond generic.

After 20 years driving cars in real life and in simulators, yes I know that ;) even when a was a child I knew that not all cars turn equally.

What a question ! Who doesn't know that???!

Quite well, yes, a lot of sims do their job quite well.

Last edited:
For those who wondering "where is the Countach?" I already took some screenshots of it :

View attachment 685704 View attachment 685705 View attachment 685706
XXI
What track is that?
Looks like a road just for presentation...
Not sure if it is a track, but it seems like a Scapes to me.
When your game has realistic lighting in gameplay and it also has uber realistic "Scapes" and people are lost on trying to figure out if this new screenshot is a scape or a new track... :lol:

Last edited:
When your game has realistic lighting in gameplay and it also has uber realistic "Scapes" and people are lost on trying to figure out if this new screenshot is a scape or a new track...
It's a blurry screen taken in a somewhat dark room from a long distance away, zoomed in. It's not really pushing any realism boundaries in that regard :lol:. It's mostly just deducing if it's a new track or not.

When your game has realistic lighting in gameplay and it also has uber realistic "Scapes" and people are lost on trying to figure out if this new screenshot is a scape or a new track...

Yeah. After looking a lot of GTS pics now my eyes and brain can't tell whether if it is a track, Scapes image or even real life photos... Should get my eyes checked I guess... :P :lol:

to me, that sentence is some kind of confession from Kaz', maybe i'm reading too much too ...

i'm trying to say basically what is said here, it's really about the tyre physics itself

Agreed. I see it as they CAN replicate real life but CHOOSE to dampen the reality for the sake of playbility/mass appeal. This is not just an appeal to the casual gamer though. I sincerely believe that having a fully accurate physics model of reality is HARDER to drive than in real life. You are not IN the car thus can't get the g-forces, peripheral vision and other subtle input that makes the car more of an extension of the self. So I think they tweak things to find a happy middle ground where cars feel real/predictable in the game overall even if their physics have been made technically "unreal". It is the same reason tire squeal is louder than normal and motion blurring is used, they are compensations for lack of other real world information.

I can't figure out if this is real or not either because of that uber realistic dim lighting and uber realistic 1980's overhead projector quality:lol::
screenshot_20171101-041733-jpg.685705

IIRC, Kaz knows English, but he prefers to speak in his main language. He might not be as comfortable speaking English, or something.
It’s a Japanese business culture thing, I see it at Konami sometimes.

Some people would rather talk confidently in their native language and have that interpreted than fumble their words in English and look bad in front of others.

Side note: do a YouTube search for Vladimir Putin speaking in English. He can do it but he is nowhere near as intimidating as he is when he speaks in Russian.

It's not a PD's problem if some people are unsensitive and confused about physics and physics feel in simulators.
So much yes. Besides the way people confuse interpreted physics I'm constantly amazed how simple comparison to real life seems beyond so many people. I haven't found a realistic sim yet, they all have their own issues. But I prefer some based on how I interpret the experience to be more authentic or how I prefer the end result over the end result of another.

Here's something I like. PCARS2 gets talked about a lot for its tyre model but the grip as arcade like in that game so everything the tyre model does is lost due to poor implementation. The tyres go from comically high grip to comically low grip and very rarely represent something realistic, PC2 gets around this ultra grip in the dry with comical handling, the result is something close to the difficulty of driving a real car in the dry but not a realistic driving experience IMO, in the wet with standing water it's just comical. Now GTS on the other hand lacks Longitudinal grip and has tyre heating issues but gets around these with driver aids like traction control. I don't like the grip issues in GTS but the result is a superior driving experience IMO, other people like PC2 better for whatever reason.

Each sim has its own issues but most people don't seem to be aware of the various issues each sim has and still these people argue over which one is more realistic or more Simcade. Much of it comes from people basing their expectations based on their conditioning to other games they have played but physics is based on the real world so any driving experience should be compared to what we find in the real world. At the end of the day no one is getting this right yet so our preference is simply our preference.

Back