Dr. Kazunori Yamauchi Gives Lecture on Gran Turismo's Driving Physics & Production

A simple question to all the Gamephysicsexperts in here: On which Naturephysical Law realbased since GT6 the ingame Physics Engine?

Answer: The gravity of Earth, refers to the acceleration that is imparted to objects due to the distribution of mass within the Earth. Near the Earth's surface, gravitational acceleration is approximately 9.8 m/s2, which means that ignoring the effects of air resistance, the speed of an object falling freely will increase by about 9.8 metres per second every second. This quantity is sometimes referred to informally as "little g" and in contrast, the gravitational constant G is referred to as "big G". The gravitational constant, also known as the universal gravitational constant, or as Newton's constant, is an empirical physical constant involved in the calculation of gravitational effects in Sir Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation and in Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity.
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

An gravitational effect in this physical calculatin is for example: Downforce is a downwards thrust created by the aerodynamic characteristics of a car. The purpose of downforce is to allow a car to travel faster through a corner by increasing the vertical force on the tires, thus creating more grip.
This effect is referred to as "aerodynamic grip" and is distinguished from "mechanical grip", which is a function of the car's mass, tires, and suspension. The creation of downforce by passive devices can be achieved only at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag (or friction), and the optimum setup is almost always a compromise between the two.
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce

No gravitationaler Effect in this physical calculation is for example: Cold inflation pressure is the inflation pressure of tires before the car is driven and the tires warmed up. Drivers are encouraged to make sure their tires are adequately inflated, as suboptimal tire pressure can greatly reduce fuel economy, increase emissions, increased wear on the edges of the tire surface, and can lead to premature failure of the tire. Excessive pressure, on the other hand, may lead to impact-breaks, decrease braking performance, and cause uneven wear (i.e. greater wear on the center part of the tire surface). Tire pressure is commonly measured in psi in the imperial and US customary systems, bar, which is deprecated but accepted for use with SI or the kilopascal (kPa), which is an SI unit. Ambient temperature affects the cold tire pressure. Absolute cold tire pressure (gauge pressure plus atmospheric pressure) varies directly with the absolute temperature, measured in kelvins.

Fact: The Moonmission in GT6 shows clearly pure Gravity, as working function in the ingame Physics Engine. Gran Turismo as "Real Driving Simulator" used real Physics Law calculated physicmodels for real working dynamic Drivingphysics and has no static Databased physical-simulated pseudo-realdriving Gameengine.

Carsetting since GT6:

1) tune the Carsetup balanced out for Handling, NOT for grip on setting Tyres!

2) when you only stiffen anything on one axle, SpringRate, AntiRollbar or Damper, you are removing mechanical grip from that axle.

3) Anybody who says Camber removes/reduces cornering grip, doesn't understand points 1 & 2.

4) Increasing SpringRate Push the wheels into the tarmac.

5) Increasing ARB tends to make the inside wheel light.

6) roll resistance is the total of SR and ARB front & Rear.

7) When tuning the Suspension AND Differential most often you need to compensate, for adjusting one setting by adjusting a few more.

8) Toeangles are used to dial in fine handling between the Axles, unless from the compromise tuned SR, ARB, Damps, Diff and Ride Height setting.

For Example: a low power FR car has wheel spin but your car is balanced in the corner, what to do??

Lower the ARB and raise the SpringRate. This will keep the roll resistance coupling the same BUT will make the inside tire more planted and capable of putting down the power. THIS WILL REQUIRE adjusting the differential to get the most out of. High ARB with Low SR will call for a very tight Diff, a low ARB with high SR will respond better to a more open Diff set up.

GTS Basicsetups: The same FF FR AWD MR RR default settings for each specific Racingclass, are allready compromise inused-Driveraids Handlingtunes and makes only Sense as Fairplay-Groundbasesetup for GT Sport Onlinecompetitions.

Did you think the Tyremodel or Gamephysics are don't real enough? Go to the Missions 6/8 30-Lap Race, set the Breakbias to +1 because it's a Porsche with minimal weightshiftingeffect and realize, that results in a Front-Rear-balanced Tirewearing and this is simply like the Reality.

bye

Welcome to GTPlanet :gtpflag:

I don't think the word simulator means what you think it means.

Maybe so... keep in mind that the dictionary definition of the word "literally" has been changed to include "figuratively." No, this is not a joke. Clearly these words are complete opposites of each other, but that is the direction our language is headed. So it could be a simulator, or a knee slapper, or a fart analyzer... hard to say anymore :D

Y'all are arguing over nonsense and I'm just looking for the picture of the countach ingame:banghead:. Someone screenshot it?

At 5:45
upload_2017-11-8_12-45-8.png

Who knows... for the needs of his presentation, this shot could be from GT5 or GT6. But watch from 6:23 through the end of the video and it shows detailed car modeling for the LP400. Pretty sure it will appear in GT Sport in the future. There will be hundreds more cars to come to this game, but hardly anyone has patience anymore :(

I like GT Sport. It is fun, and usable for the jagged inputs of a controller user. But it isn't a simulator. How can you possibly claim it is when your tyre model doesn't include tyre pressures, or when all cars float over the most aggressive of kerbs, and maintain cornering speed and stability when dropping two or three or four wheels on the grass?

I like GT Sport. It is fun, and usable for the jagged inputs of a controller user. But it isn't a simulator. How can you possibly claim it is when your tyre model doesn't include tyre pressures, or when all cars float over the most aggressive of kerbs, and maintain cornering speed and stability when dropping two or three or four wheels on the grass?

I don’t experience that smoothness at all.
I went roof first into the wall after attacking that high kerb on the Dragon Trail track.

911’s handle exactly as you describe – they all understeer at the limit (unless you know what you’re doing), and then the rear comes round when you come off the throttle when you have them loaded laterally. The more modern the version, the better they are, but the overall balance is inherent in a rear engine car.

I’ve only done 1 lap of the 'Ring in the GT3RS in GTS and it felt horrible – you just can't load the front. Whilst I haven’t driven an GT3RS IRL, I have driven a 991GT3 extensively (my brother-in-law had one for a year before changing to a DB11 last month)… and it does not feel like the RS does in GTS.

But I don't think the reason they don't tuck the front in when lifting the throttle is damping related – damping adjustments have a relatively minor effect on handling in GT (based on experience of tuning in GT4/5/6).

Almost certainly this is down to the stock rear toe and LSD decel settings - I haven't checked the RS, but I expect rear toe will be c.+0.50, and LSD decel will be c.30, as this seems to be the setting that PD inflict on pretty much every car.

Toe and LSD are by far the most influential settings in GT (ie; they have the biggest effect on how cars handle of all available adjustments)... and at the stock levels, they both create masses of understeer... toe all the time, LSD decel when braking or coasting off throttle.

GT stock settings also have very low front camber, which also contributes to reducing front end grip. And they run –ve front toe (c.-0.25), which is there to try and make the cars feel a bit livelier on entry, but has the side effect of reducing front mid corner/exit grip.

So when you feel the understeer created by the toe and low front camber, and you lift to shift some weight on to the front tyres, the toe and LSD decel just make the car want to continue to plow.

To make the car handle properly, I’d start by setting front and rear toe to 0.00, LSD decel to 5 (minimum), and front toe to -2.0. If it then oversteers on turn in whilst trail braking, I’d then add LSD decel (in increments of 1) until I found a stability level I felt comfortable with.

Once I’d stabilised entry, I would reduce LSD accel to adjust mid corner and exit traction – this is a much more effective way to fine tune mid corner traction than rear toe.

Interestingly, 911 race cars do run high LSD decel – it’s there by design to minimise risk of losing the rear whilst trail braking heavily. But the levels in GT, combined with the high +ve rear toe, are just too much (and they are there in all cars, so equally hamper the handling of those too).

Edit:

I see the online event was on SS tyres. My go in the RS at the 'Ring was on SH.

Got bored of grinding Nurb 24, so took the GT3RS to Nurb for a play.

On SS, with toe at +0.10, LSD at 5 15 10, and front camber at -2.0, it's really quite nice, and handles broadly as you'd expect it to for the drivetrain layout. Doesn't get too lairy off the gas, but tuck the nose in nicely.

I'll have a proper go at tuning it in the months to come, but the overall balance feels right :)

You have no idea what level of knowledge 90% of sim racers have. And there are plenty of people who have real life experience who also describe the physics simulation in GTS as flawed or incredibly simplistic in several areas.

and there are also many that are pleased with its modelling. I wasn't really talking about feel though as thats subjective. More on the actual engineering principles and what is captured.

Visual tire flex is not proof of it being modeled

An unfounded statement. You can make claims but none of them are conclusive.

An unfounded statement. You can make claims but none of them are conclusive.
This makes no sense given the post you replied to. I think you have your lines crossed somewhere.

@Scaff I've been unable to come online until now and the conversation happened to long ago to bring back up. I just wanted to say yes in response to some questions you asked, I have done the things you asked if I have done in real life and yes I do have plenty of driving experience that allows me to know how real cars handle at the limit. It is part of why I have talked about the grip issues so many times because it is really clear to me what the biggest things GT Sport does wrong. But just to mention something you might not be aware of from something you said. It is very normal for a sim to have different low speed and high speed physics and for there to be a strange transition or for a sim to be odd. I'm not an expert in why but I've been told it has something to do with being unable to divide by zero and that basically normal physics calculations go to hell when a car is standing still or moving very slowly. Even iRacing has had issues in the past with their slow speed code except it went much higher than 20 and the good thing is we don't often race so slow. I'm not going to read through the whole thread now and I don't want to respond directly to posts to bring up an old argument, I wouldn't even bother replying. I just noticed one post where you replied to me where you talked to me as if you imagine I lack experience or understanding in these areas and that isn't the case.

As to why I disappeared if you are interested, we had some storms and some damage at the inlaws and power out here and a big clean up and at the same time I had 3 trips to the hospital in one day, one for each of my kids. Then I had my own commitments on top of that so if I got a free moment I've been racing instead of wanting to come back on here since then. I still don't have so much time at the moment to come on and talk about games but I just came on here to find out some info if I can find it and saw all the notifications which I don't really have time to go through.

7HO
@Scaff I've been unable to come online until now and the conversation happened to long ago to bring back up. I just wanted to say yes in response to some questions you asked, I have done the things you asked if I have done in real life and yes I do have plenty of driving experience that allows me to know how real cars handle at the limit. It is part of why I have talked about the grip issues so many times because it is really clear to me what the biggest things GT Sport does wrong. But just to mention something you might not be aware of from something you said. It is very normal for a sim to have different low speed and high speed physics and for there to be a strange transition or for a sim to be odd. I'm not an expert in why but I've been told it has something to do with being unable to divide by zero and that basically normal physics calculations go to hell when a car is standing still or moving very slowly. Even iRacing has had issues in the past with their slow speed code except it went much higher than 20 and the good thing is we don't often race so slow. I'm not going to read through the whole thread now and I don't want to respond directly to posts to bring up an old argument, I wouldn't even bother replying. I just noticed one post where you replied to me where you talked to me as if you imagine I lack experience or understanding in these areas and that isn't the case.

As to why I disappeared if you are interested, we had some storms and some damage at the inlaws and power out here and a big clean up and at the same time I had 3 trips to the hospital in one day, one for each of my kids. Then I had my own commitments on top of that so if I got a free moment I've been racing instead of wanting to come back on here since then. I still don't have so much time at the moment to come on and talk about games but I just came on here to find out some info if I can find it and saw all the notifications which I don't really have time to go through.
I don't think that there are different physics at low and high speed. It's more accurate to say that what works in the physics engine at higher speeds breaks down at a lower speeds, in some games more than others.

7HO
@Scaff I've been unable to come online until now and the conversation happened to long ago to bring back up. I just wanted to say yes in response to some questions you asked, I have done the things you asked if I have done in real life and yes I do have plenty of driving experience that allows me to know how real cars handle at the limit.

7HO
I just noticed one post where you replied to me where you talked to me as if you imagine I lack experience or understanding in these areas and that isn't the case.

Far enough, but that doesn't gel with a number of statements you have made, in particular that Camber isn't used to balance tyre temps.

7HO
It is part of why I have talked about the grip issues so many times because it is really clear to me what the biggest things GT Sport does wrong. But just to mention something you might not be aware of from something you said. It is very normal for a sim to have different low speed and high speed physics and for there to be a strange transition or for a sim to be odd.
Its not normal at all for sims in this day and age to do so at all, quite the opposite.

This illustrates the point well:

Only one of the three has an issue with coming close to how reality is, and its GTS.

7HO
I'm not an expert in why but I've been told it has something to do with being unable to divide by zero and that basically normal physics calculations go to hell when a car is standing still or moving very slowly. Even iRacing has had issues in the past with their slow speed code except it went much higher than 20 and the good thing is we don't often race so slow. I'm not going to read through the whole thread now and I don't want to respond directly to posts to bring up an old argument, I wouldn't even bother replying.
Its not to do with divide by zero errors, but rather a loss of fidelity when you get to the lower end of Pacejka tyre models curves, its also an issue that just about every tyre model apart from GTS has resolved, mainly by developing much more details tyre models.

The iRacing issue is more a problem with how grip relates to tyre temperature and the absurd situation in which you can get more grip at lower tyre temps than you can with high tyre temps (the rather well known slow out lap exploit in qualifying is an example of this).

7HO
No problem, the real world always trumps this place.

Far enough, but that doesn't gel with a number of statements you have made, in particular that Camber isn't used to balance tyre temps.
I don't think that is what I said. I'm pretty sure I would have said that is what it is used for and that it is not used to add heat or take away heat from tyres primarily, only to balance heat across the tyres and then not even primarily for that but that is a method of evaluating the contact area and if the tyre is being used effectively.

Its not normal at all for sims in this day and age to do so at all, quite the opposite.

This illustrates the point well:
A video comparing low speed code doesn't mean what i said is incorrect. iRacing have talked about their own low speed code and have discussed why developers use different code for low speed. I'm no longer a member of iRacing so I can't search for or link to the discussions.

Its not to do with divide by zero errors, but rather a loss of fidelity when you get to the lower end of Pacejka tyre models curves, its also an issue that just about every tyre model apart from GTS has resolved, mainly by developing much more details tyre models.

The iRacing issue is more a problem with how grip relates to tyre temperature and the absurd situation in which you can get more grip at lower tyre temps than you can with high tyre temps (the rather well known slow out lap exploit in qualifying is an example of this).
Wow now you are a game developer expert too and an expert on what all developers are doing. I can only go off what developers have said themselves because I am not a game developer and what I have read from the developers is different to what you are telling me. I'll trust them.

No problem, the real world always trumps this place.
And not always in a positive way but Cheers.

7HO
I don't think that is what I said. I'm pretty sure I would have said that is what it is used for and that it is not used to add heat or take away heat from tyres primarily, only to balance heat across the tyres and then not even primarily for that but that is a method of evaluating the contact area and if the tyre is being used effectively.
Please go back and take a look at what I have actually said.

I've said (and provided supporting links to a wide range of independently verifiable sources) that tyre pressure is used as a principal tool to manage the overall temperature of tyres, that camber is used to balance the temp across the tyre, and that toe isn't used to manage tyre temp.

The reason I said this (and provided the links to clearly show this is also how reality works) is that members in this thread have stated that pressure isn't needed, that camber isn't used to manage tyre temps and that toe is. All I note claims that have not been supported by any real world evidence of any sort.

7HO
A video comparing low speed code doesn't mean what i said is incorrect. iRacing have talked about their own low speed code and have discussed why developers use different code for low speed. I'm no longer a member of iRacing so I can't search for or link to the discussions.
It doesn't mean yiou are right either, but what it does show is that for the three titles in question only one of they has an issue with it, which does go against the claim that its a common issue among sims.

7HO
Wow now you are a game developer expert too and an expert on what all developers are doing. I can only go off what developers have said themselves because I am not a game developer and what I have read from the developers is different to what you are telling me. I'll trust them.
Now aside from you logical fallacy immediate meaning we can immediately discount what you have also said (an appeal to authority cuts both ways), you seem to not know that Pacejka tyre models curves are not just used by sim race title developers.

So yes I do have a reasonable degree of experience working with them, certainly enough to know what the limitations are and how they manifest themselves.

However as you like your appeals to authority....

http://www.edy.es/dev/2011/12/facts-and-myths-on-the-pacejka-curves/
http://www.mate.tue.nl/mate/pdfs/8726.pdf

.....no divide by zero issues.

I did wonder why no-one had re-formulated the Magic Formula to avoid certain issues, but I guess plenty of people did "in secret". Perhaps it is old-fashioned of GT to still be switching models at different speeds - whatever those models actually are.

Still, the fact that the Magic Formula only works for the data measured makes it very unsuitable for a sim with varying conditions, geometry, speeds etc. without having all of that data that you can somehow interpolate furiously between (which itself is fraught without a physical basis). Playing with the coefficients willy nilly when you can't obtain real coefficients clearly isn't going to help, either.

I personally would rather sacrifice some of the precision of the Magic Formula, in respect of its steady state behaviour (and then only in the same conditions as measured for), for something a little more adaptable and naturally expressive in what is supposed to be an interactive experience, not an engineering evaluation tool.

Most of the issues with the dynamics of tyre modeling has to do with the contact patch shape, its pressure distribution and hence friction. This is why things like tyre pressures, camber and the like are so tricky to pin down - it just isn't taken into account, except "empirically". Again, what do you do with that data if it doesn't fit what's going on in the game?

E.g. you can have situations where the dynamic camber might be so many degrees, with combined slip numbers, fine, but the contact patch shape might not match that at steady state for those measured inputs, e.g. because of suspension dynamics or track surface irregularities, or because you have only just started turning in or braking etc. etc. etc.

I did wonder why no-one had re-formulated the Magic Formula to avoid certain issues, but I guess plenty of people did "in secret". Perhaps it is old-fashioned of GT to still be switching models at different speeds - whatever those models actually are.

Still, the fact that the Magic Formula only works for the data measured makes it very unsuitable for a sim with varying conditions, geometry, speeds etc. without having all of that data that you can somehow interpolate furiously between (which itself is fraught without a physical basis). Playing with the coefficients willy nilly when you can't obtain real coefficients clearly isn't going to help, either.

I personally would rather sacrifice some of the precision of the Magic Formula, in respect of its steady state behaviour (and then only in the same conditions as measured for), for something a little more adaptable and naturally expressive in what is supposed to be an interactive experience, not an engineering evaluation tool.

Most of the issues with the dynamics of tyre modeling has to do with the contact patch shape, its pressure distribution and hence friction. This is why things like tyre pressures, camber and the like are so tricky to pin down - it just isn't taken into account, except "empirically". Again, what do you do with that data if it doesn't fit what's going on in the game?

E.g. you can have situations where the dynamic camber might be so many degrees, with combined slip numbers, fine, but the contact patch shape might not match that at steady state for those measured inputs, e.g. because of suspension dynamics or track surface irregularities, or because you have only just started turning in or braking etc. etc. etc.
To be honest the vast majority of Sims have moved beyond it and developed tyre models that account for far more values and areas of tyre performance.

At the end of the day most are likely to still have the formula behind the magic curves as part of it (the curve is just a visual representation of how the formula can be used for a set data set), with a lot more feeding into it.

Keep in mind that most who have done so didn't get it right first time either, but have progressed to the point that they do now have robust tyre models that are accurate enough in a very wide range of situations and surface types.

@Scaff I swear if you were not a mod I'd have you on ignore because you are such a frustrating person to talk to. I'm not sure if you just scan or you just lack comprehension in general and I don't pay attention to you to see if you have the same issue with others but I have noticed you are one of the most difficult people I have ever talked to and I'm over it.

A simple question to all the Gamephysicsexperts in here: On which Naturephysical Law realbased since GT6 the ingame Physics Engine?

Answer: The gravity of Earth, refers to the acceleration that is imparted to objects due to the distribution of mass within the Earth. Near the Earth's surface, gravitational acceleration is approximately 9.8 m/s2, which means that ignoring the effects of air resistance, the speed of an object falling freely will increase by about 9.8 metres per second every second. This quantity is sometimes referred to informally as "little g" and in contrast, the gravitational constant G is referred to as "big G". The gravitational constant, also known as the universal gravitational constant, or as Newton's constant, is an empirical physical constant involved in the calculation of gravitational effects in Sir Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation and in Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity.
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

An gravitational effect in this physical calculatin is for example: Downforce is a downwards thrust created by the aerodynamic characteristics of a car. The purpose of downforce is to allow a car to travel faster through a corner by increasing the vertical force on the tires, thus creating more grip.
This effect is referred to as "aerodynamic grip" and is distinguished from "mechanical grip", which is a function of the car's mass, tires, and suspension. The creation of downforce by passive devices can be achieved only at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag (or friction), and the optimum setup is almost always a compromise between the two.
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce

No gravitationaler Effect in this physical calculation is for example: Cold inflation pressure is the inflation pressure of tires before the car is driven and the tires warmed up. Drivers are encouraged to make sure their tires are adequately inflated, as suboptimal tire pressure can greatly reduce fuel economy, increase emissions, increased wear on the edges of the tire surface, and can lead to premature failure of the tire. Excessive pressure, on the other hand, may lead to impact-breaks, decrease braking performance, and cause uneven wear (i.e. greater wear on the center part of the tire surface). Tire pressure is commonly measured in psi in the imperial and US customary systems, bar, which is deprecated but accepted for use with SI or the kilopascal (kPa), which is an SI unit. Ambient temperature affects the cold tire pressure. Absolute cold tire pressure (gauge pressure plus atmospheric pressure) varies directly with the absolute temperature, measured in kelvins.

Fact: The Moonmission in GT6 shows clearly pure Gravity, as working function in the ingame Physics Engine. Gran Turismo as "Real Driving Simulator" used real Physics Law calculated physicmodels for real working dynamic Drivingphysics and has no static Databased physical-simulated pseudo-realdriving Gameengine.

Carsetting since GT6:

1) tune the Carsetup balanced out for Handling, NOT for grip on setting Tyres!

2) when you only stiffen anything on one axle, SpringRate, AntiRollbar or Damper, you are removing mechanical grip from that axle.

3) Anybody who says Camber removes/reduces cornering grip, doesn't understand points 1 & 2.

4) Increasing SpringRate Push the wheels into the tarmac.

5) Increasing ARB tends to make the inside wheel light.

6) roll resistance is the total of SR and ARB front & Rear.

7) When tuning the Suspension AND Differential most often you need to compensate, for adjusting one setting by adjusting a few more.

8) Toeangles are used to dial in fine handling between the Axles, unless from the compromise tuned SR, ARB, Damps, Diff and Ride Height setting.

For Example: a low power FR car has wheel spin but your car is balanced in the corner, what to do??

Lower the ARB and raise the SpringRate. This will keep the roll resistance coupling the same BUT will make the inside tire more planted and capable of putting down the power. THIS WILL REQUIRE adjusting the differential to get the most out of. High ARB with Low SR will call for a very tight Diff, a low ARB with high SR will respond better to a more open Diff set up.

GTS Basicsetups: The same FF FR AWD MR RR default settings for each specific Racingclass, are allready compromise inused-Driveraids Handlingtunes and makes only Sense as Fairplay-Groundbasesetup for GT Sport Onlinecompetitions.

Did you think the Tyremodel or Gamephysics are don't real enough? Go to the Missions 6/8 30-Lap Race, set the Breakbias to +1 because it's a Porsche with minimal weightshiftingeffect and realize, that results in a Front-Rear-balanced Tirewearing and this is simply like the Reality.

bye

Gentlemen, a short view back to the past...

7HO
@Scaff I swear if you were not a mod I'd have you on ignore because you are such a frustrating person to talk to. I'm not sure if you just scan or you just lack comprehension in general and I don't pay attention to you to see if you have the same issue with others but I have noticed you are one of the most difficult people I have ever talked to and I'm over it.
OK

Not an acknowledgement that you are right, simply that you don't seem to want to discuss in a reasonable manner.

Last edited:
7HO
I don't have any trouble understanding Scaff at all. In fact, I find him one of the most logical and easy to understand posters on GTP. Your post on the other hand...:confused:.

7HO
Can't say I've had any trouble whatsoever interacting with him, and I've seen him respond thoroughly to each and every point brought up to him. So I really have no idea where you're coming from.

Personally, I've found Scaff to be very good at dumbing down certain complex subjects so plebs like me can understand the subject better. To me, that's a good communicator. Plus, you have to really, really know what you're talking about before you can translate highly technical subjects into things common folk can understand and recognize as true in the real world. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, anyone?

Back