DragonBall Z the movie (not animated)

  • Thread starter Thread starter tfujiwara
  • 57 comments
  • 7,343 views
I can't imagine a DBZ movie like this, but i would like to see it. :)
 
So its an OVA?
Nah. CB: The Movie (the U.S. title) was not an OVA. It was a full blown, own-original-storyline-and-characters deal that took place somewhere around (I believe) episodes 21-22 of the TV show. It even had a small theatrical release in America, IIRC. It was also a different approach to anime movies released on TV, in that it didn't preceded no end the series (like NGE, FMA or the Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. movies did). It is kind of like a spin-off movie, as it didn't influence, nor was the result of, any of the events from the series.
 
Well...
Very interested to see what happens with a DBZ movie. :dopey:

Further, I can't imagine what a Ghost In The Shell movie is going to be like... I imagine it will be almost nothing like the movies or the series. The movies had too much fanservice nudity and the series had stories to make philosophy students say "wait a second, what did you just say?"

In the end a Ghost in the Shell movie is going to be a huge challenge on several levels and I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing it when I can.
 
I'd love to see that "fake" turn into a reality... it was actually quite an enjoyable series for a brief period of time.
 
Further, I can't imagine what a Ghost In The Shell movie is going to be like... I imagine it will be almost nothing like the movies or the series.
I dunno. Based on Spielberg's prior directing efforts, I think it might end up being along the lines of a philosophical piece. Whether it will be as done out as the series is is another story, though.
 
From what I can remember it was just

HAHAHA I NOW HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 10,000
YES BUT I NOW HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 10,001 SO THAT MEANS YOU WILL DIE
HAHAHA YOU ARE WRONG AS I ACTUALLY LIED AND HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 12 BILLION FIFILLION
YES I ALSO LIED AND HAVE EQUAL POWER LEVEL
etc.
There was some occasional fighting, however I was about 10 when watching it
 
From what I can remember it was just

HAHAHA I NOW HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 10,000
YES BUT I NOW HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 10,001 SO THAT MEANS YOU WILL DIE
HAHAHA YOU ARE WRONG AS I ACTUALLY LIED AND HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 12 BILLION FIFILLION
YES I ALSO LIED AND HAVE EQUAL POWER LEVEL
etc.
There was some occasional fighting, however I was about 10 when watching it
This sounds familiar:

I have a confession to make. I was only using my left hand to be sporting. I am right handed. Why are you smiling?
I also have a confession to make. I too am right handed.

paraphrased from The Princess Bride.
 
HAHAHA I NOW HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 10,000
YES BUT I NOW HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 10,001 SO THAT MEANS YOU WILL DIE
HAHAHA YOU ARE WRONG AS I ACTUALLY LIED AND HAVE A POWER LEVEL OF 12 BILLION FIFILLION
YES I ALSO LIED AND HAVE EQUAL POWER LEVEL
etc.
All of which are over 9000.
 
This sounds familiar:

I have a confession to make. I was only using my left hand to be sporting. I am right handed. Why are you smiling?
I also have a confession to make. I too am right handed.

paraphrased from The Princess Bride.

Hahaha... a classic! I got the VCD, but I'm still looking for a DVD.

"Hello... My name is Inigo Montoya... You killed my father. Prepare to die."
 
Hahaha... a classic! I got the VCD, but I'm still looking for a DVD.

"Hello... My name is Inigo Montoya... You killed my father. Prepare to die."
What region is the Phillipines? I know they have a standard and special edition DVD in the states. I have the standard edition, and a VHS copy, and the book.
 
The Book? Don't make me slay you from pure envy... as funny as the movie was, the book has some classic stuff that you just couldn't put on screen... I'm looking for a copy myself. Should have stolen that hardbound from the school library when I borrowed it. Any "loss" fee would have been worth it. :lol:

Region don't matter... I can get region-unlocked players here... hmmm... might ask my mom to look for the DVD while she's there.
 
The Book? Don't make me slay you from pure envy... as funny as the movie was, the book has some classic stuff that you just couldn't put on screen... I'm looking for a copy myself. Should have stolen that hardbound from the school library when I borrowed it. Any "loss" fee would have been worth it. :lol:
http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewDetails.aspx?ISBN=0345315324
I checked, they do ship to the Philippines.

I think the book and movie work together well. He tells it from the perspective of the kid in the movie, now as an adult writer, and tells only the parts of a historical classic his grandfather read to him because the rest of it is historical political gibberish that only made sense at the time and his grandfather skipped over them to give him an exciting story. The book truly has two stories, one regarding the fictional author S. Morgenstern, and the other of Westley and Buttercup.

For the most part I felt the movie did a good job of translating the sense of a grandfather taking a classic tale and editing it to hold the interest of a kid. After reading the book, every time Peter Faulk stops and does the "now where was I?" bit I imagine him covering so that he can skip the boring parts without being noticed.

Region don't matter... I can get region-unlocked players here... hmmm... might ask my mom to look for the DVD while she's there.
If region isn't important then you should be able to find a copy online easily enough. Upon a bit of research there are actually five versions: Regular (which I own), Special Edition, Dread Pirate Edition, Buttercup Edition (Both of which are just the Special Edition with different box art), and the 20th Anniversary Edition, which I cannot see having anything more than the other editions.

So, basically, whatever version you find, they are basically the same unless you are into special box art. It looks like they just released a different "version" every couple of years to suck in the collectors.
 
👍 (OT Off) Thanks!
 
The Book? Don't make me slay you from pure envy... as funny as the movie was, the book has some classic stuff that you just couldn't put on screen... I'm looking for a copy myself. Should have stolen that hardbound from the school library when I borrowed it. Any "loss" fee would have been worth it. :lol:

Region don't matter... I can get region-unlocked players here... hmmm... might ask my mom to look for the DVD while she's there.
Man, your in PI. Somethings electronic should be easily bought...thought I don't know why my dad bought me Japanese games from the philippines though it is hard to play them.

I can't wait for the American version. Though I was laughing at the Chinese and Filipino movies of it. I still love them though ^^".
 
Fake fan made trailer, but very unintentionally funny and worth a watch, only about a minute long

 
Bootleg:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dragonball/bootleg-teaser-trailer

Why do they insist on ruining my childhood?

The 'Goku' in this movie has hair of sub-saiyan craziness- it simply looks like a hair-gel job gone bad. That is 'Master Roshi'? It can't be, his hair isn't bald; even going back to the televised roots of the 1989 Dragonball will show you a clearly, cleanly bald old man. Thirdly, it appears 'Bulma' doesnt even have blue-hair. As like before, she always had blue hair, and failing to show such is a clear failure to the upcoming movie's accuracy. Finally, guns? What the hell? This is Dragonball, a manga and anime of epic proportions where the heroes never once relied on anything but their very own bodies, willpower and friendship to get them through battles. This is utter junk.
 
Last edited:
Agreed. I think my soul wept as I watched it earlier this afternoon.
 
Agreed. I think my soul wept as I watched it earlier this afternoon.
So, it's out? :nervous:

Sorry to jump in so late, but I just found this thread after YSS's post.

Having not seen any parts of the movie, I must say that this is a disaster in the making(or 'made' now, I guess). And this is coming from a guy who actually happens to like (too)many bad movies.

I grew up reading Dragon Ball. To most of those who grew up watching Dragon Ball, you have no idea what a watered down, inferior version of Dragon Ball/DBZ you've been served. Toriyama(not a real name), the creator of Dragon Ball, he is a true artist. The anime version of Dragon Ball series is not even 10% of the original comics. Maybe 1%. Maybe. It's like a representation of the original work(s). I wouldn't call it a translation of the original work.

This is a comic(or anime) that cannot be made into a live shot film. There are plenty of Japanese anime, or comic that can be translated real well into a live shot film. Dragon Ball is not one of them. If you've seen a few live shot blockbusters, and if you've seen/read Dragon Ball in comic or anime form, I don't think this is a rocket surgery(rocket science-brain surgery, before you point it out!).

I'd like to think that this horrible idea came from a fan, who was seriously mistaken. But it is most probable that it's all about the $$$. With a horrible idea for film like this, it usually is.
 
That really broke my heart. :(
 
Wow, that was terrible. It doesn't even look like Dragonball. It just looks like another martial arts film.

They don't even have any rural scenes when most of DB takes place in the countryside and mountains and stuff.
 
This movie is coming out unexpected for everyone, it might not be good at all, but when I see it I'm just going to be watching it as if it were just a cool martial arts movie.
Making an unrealistic manga tv show is hard to make it into a non-animated movie.
I think its going to suck as much as the Initial D movie.
This way I just rather watch the episodes, because is a better story line than the movie.
 
Last edited:
It turns out that recently last year Akira Toriyama produced an anniversary special DBZ movie. It looks wonderful, revealing 'untold' stories and can atleast put my mind off its impending doom from the US for a while.



Although it will inevitably happen in the future, perhaps from the feedback they get from this Toriyama might be encouraged to accelerate the production of a few more specials and perhaps a new series to quench anime fans' thirst.
 
I believe that was a sidestory. When I watched it, it was funny.
 
that song is anoying to me now :banghead:
 
Back