Drifting FAQ's - READ BEFORE POSTING!!!

• Thread starter Ethix101
  • 53 comments
Remember: Drifting can only be done with a FR car NO OTHERS!!!!! Drifting with AWD, MR, and FF is not true drifting...sry to bust a bubble here.

Um, no. FF, FR, MR, and 4WD can all drift. FF requires the handbrake. Some people don't consider that drifting (me included). FR is the typical drift car. MR is the same thing but better (better weight dist.). 4WD is just harder because of the massive grip a 4WD is 'supposed' to get. There's my
twocents.gif

-Tom

Glad to hear that the thread is helping, Skyline dude :)

Ethix101, you can update the first post saying that they should download some videos from this forum so that they can understand how to drift ;)

Originally posted by Thio
Glad to hear that the thread is helping, Skyline dude :)

Ethix101, you can update the first post saying that they should download some videos from this forum so that they can understand how to drift ;)

ok, I'll see if I can find some links to vids that I can put in the first post

Driftsession is a pretty good site..the info seems to be accurate...I'll add that to my first post.
EDIT: I also added the Monkey D Team drift guide.

-Mark

I'm starting to get pissed about the replies when a noob asks for settings or asks how to drift.

What I want is a explanation about the tyres and the different ways to set-up the car. Because just read the thread "I don't recomend sims". We are getting noobs crazy. Put sims leave the other parts stock, no, put slicks, no, sports.:dunce: :ill:
argue.gif
tapedshut.gif
weird.gif

lol...

i have been kinda working on a general setup directory that gives every type of possible setup or way to setup rather and what steps to take... but yeah its not nearly complete... it isnt even typed...

The problem with tires just like settings and cars is that we're dealing with opinions. I'd do some sort of Tire Guide, but I really don't have the slightest idea what I'd say in it that isn't painfully obvious or based entirely on my own preferences. People need to learn to think for themselves. It seems like they try to drift once or twice and find it hard so they show up here looking for the "Perfect Setup" or something that will make drifting easy when all they really need to do is practice. If you try sim tires and don't like it..use different tires. Who cares? It's a game..do whatever makes you happy.

If somebody can do a Tire Guide or tire test or something comparing Sim tires to other tires in terms of drift performance and difficulty, that would be awesome and I'd definitely like to add that to this thread.

-Mark

I Know I'm relatively new, but I have been drifting in GT2 and GT3 for a about a year now, and I can hold my own with just about anyone on this forum, So I hope you will listen to what I have to say.:D

Anyway, I think that Battle_Stage had a great idea which would most likely simplify this whole process. It's very simple, Just buy all the FR cars that interest you. Then throw on some sim tires, turn the ASM and TCS to 0. It is amazing how quickly you learn when you do this. From there you can start adding simple mods like suspension, then add drivetrain mods, and so on. Every time you change something, take it out to the track for testing. This teaches the user the base level handling of each car, and so, how to tune the car to get the most out of it. I know this doesn't apply as much to AWD cars, as they usualy require a little bit more power to hold a drift, but I think that will have to be dealt with at another time. This, I beleive, might solve the whole tire issue. Once a user has reached a point where they are comfortable with there drifting, they can then move on to more HP and stickier tires if they wish to. The point is, Learning with sims is a much faster and more sensible way to increase your skill, (this of course is only applying to those learning to drift).

I hope this all makes sense, If you have any questions feel free to PM me.;)

Originally posted by Ethix101
Driftsession is a pretty good site..the info seems to be accurate...I'll add that to my first post.
EDIT: I also added the Monkey D Team drift guide.

-Mark

Cool, MONKEY D exposure!

If somebody can do a Tire Guide or tire test or something comparing Sim tires to other tires in terms of drift performance and difficulty, that would be awesome and I'd definitely like to add that to this thread.

-Mark

Yes, you're right. If I have some hours of spare time, I'll try it. :)

-Mark

I think that would be kind of hard considering everyone has their own driving style.

I find that a very stiff (18 or higher) spring rate, strong Limited Slip setting, and rear brake bias allow for the best drifting potential. Of course, its easier if the car is RWD. As for the best drift car in the game, the ARTA NSX is the undisputed king in my opinion

well that is soley based on the JGTC cars class...
you can set all of JGTC cars to do super fast drifts ..super fast compared to regualr cars....
but i say the LM RX7 and GTR are pretty much better than the LM NSX's..this is also a personal preferance in a way so im not saying your wrong or anything

as for the best drift car in the game of regualr cars.. i dont think there is a best... each car drifts or drives differently so .. this is based on individual preferance ..i think

Originally posted by USP
well that is soley based on the JGTC cars class...
you can set all of JGTC cars to do super fast drifts ..super fast compared to regualr cars....
but i say the LM RX7 and GTR are pretty much better than the LM NSX's..this is also a personal preferance in a way so im not saying your wrong or anything

as for the best drift car in the game of regualr cars.. i dont think there is a best... each car drifts or drives differently so .. this is based on individual preferance ..i think

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. The Dream Car Championship cars are excellent for drifting (well, I would normally say the Impreza is very hard to drift, but I just saw Drift Grandimo, so I would be wrong:))

Originally posted by NISMOskyline
I find that a very stiff (18 or higher) spring rate, strong Limited Slip setting, and rear brake bias allow for the best drifting potential. Of course, its easier if the car is RWD. As for the best drift car in the game, the ARTA NSX is the undisputed king in my opinion

With sims. I use soft tyres (T8~T6) and I put soft springs, LSD 5 and the cars are very driftable (for me).

Back