Drifting Perfection: Ultimate Drift Tuning Program & Guide

• Thread starter GhostZ
  • 63 comments
United States
United States
The__Ghost__Z
At long last, I've had enough time (I haven't played GT5 or logged in here for a while, if that tells you how busy I am) to compile an easy-to-use version of my tuning programs. This first one is for engine tuning.

This is the release thread, so I will update it THIS post when new things come out, and reply to bump it. If you guys really do find the sheet useful, I would also humbly request a sticky as I add more formulas and refine the overall process.

Enjoy.

Niss_240Z_VH45DETT.jpg

I've attached a new excel document (excel 2013, but should be compatible back until 2003, let me know if there are any issues) to this post as a .zip file. If someone has a google doc or something that they want to host it on so people do not have to download and unzip it, that's fine too.

How to use it:

1. Place the data for the first car that you are already comfortable with (or want to improve) in the second column, on the "red" rows. Everything else is entered automatically.

2. Place the data for the second car that you either want to tune, or want to compare to the first (especially comparing two tunes to see how they differ) in the fourth column, on the same "red" rows.

Look at the descriptions for each graph, and make the gear ratio, weight distribution/overall weight, power and powerband data changes necessary until you can get either the correct amount of improvement you want, or get the second car to match the first car's data as accurately as possible.

What the engine tuning sheet will show you how to do:

1. Choose ideal powerband shapes, peak torque, and engine peak power RPM
2. Compare output torque and torque at a given mph speed.
3. See normalized values to adjust tuning for erratic or unpredictable engine outputs
4. Make adjustments for tire diameter, weight distribution, and other differences

Here is a preview of the spreadsheet:

2v8jrkn.png

This is the easy one, and I've already started on the suspension one (this one will be a lot more difficult to make 'user friendly' and I used a lot more shorthand in it, none of these can just be copy and pasted) so that should come out in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Final Tuning Sheet for Engine.zip
    49 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Spread the word and share the file. If you like it, give me feedback and show it to as many people as you can.

Great spreadsheet; it will certainly be helpful for a lot of people!

Thank you Ghost for making your findings public - looking forward to seeing in GT6 if you end up joining us then :)

Last edited:
This is a great accomplishment by Ghost, keep it up! I am looking forward to seeing your upcoming spreadsheets. Please sticky this!

good job applying your theory's mate hopefully it helps out the amateur drifters.I wont use the excel document purely as i prefer to tune my cars my way :P.keep up da good work.

5-60-60 bro, locked diff does a good job.

I don't like the feel of locked diffs on gt5. But I really want to see what the mods say, I highly doubt this is going to be a sticky (at least not on the drifting section). I think this post is better suited for the tuning forums though.

I don't like the feel of locked diffs on gt5. But I really want to see what the mods say, I highly doubt this is going to be a sticky (at least not on the drifting section). I think this post is better suited for the tuning forums though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I really think tuning relating exclusively to drifting should remain in the drifting forums.
We have the Drift Setting Depot in this sub forum so why shouldn't tuning discussion and theory related exclusively to drifting be kept in an easy to find location? at least that's my thinking.

A sub-sub forum for drift tuning would be ideal but we make do :lol:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I really think tuning relating exclusively to drifting should remain in the drifting forums.
We have the Drift Setting Depot in this sub forum so why shouldn't tuning discussion and theory related exclusively to drifting be kept in an easy to find location? at least that's my thinking.

A sub-sub forum for drift tuning would be ideal but we make do :lol:

because this isn't exclusive to drifting... all the spreadsheet gives are comparable gear ratios.

Think about it, if the sheet can give you a drift tune that would, I guess make your tunes feel the same, then it's simple to put in let's say a vette with a drag tune and I guess tune another car the same way. If this sheet does work like ghost says then you can make an s15 handle like an M3 on the Nurb.

So it's not exclusive to drifting if it is what Ghost said it is.

Last edited:
because this isn't exclusive to drifting... all the spreadsheet gives are comparable gear ratios.

Think about it, if the sheet can give you a drift tune that would, I guess make your tunes feel the same, then it's simple to put in let's say a vette with a drag tune and I guess tune another car the same way. If this sheet does work like ghost says then you can make an s15 handle like an M3 on the Nurb.

So it's not exclusive to drifting if it is what Ghost said it is.

That's true, the gear ratios could be used in other forms of motor sport - however unless I'm mistaken there are more of these formulas to be released such as suspension which would certainly be more geared towards drifting.

I haven't been through the sheets just yet so I can't comment on it - I'm merely going by Ghosts intention for these sheets which as I said was for it to be used in drifting to my knowledge.

I may be getting ahead of myself and I apologise, I just think that there's a need for information pertaining to drifting to be kept in the drift forum; don't mind me :lol:

Last edited:
That's true, the gear ratios could be used in other forms of motor sport - however unless I'm mistaken there are more of these formulas to be released such as suspension which would certainly be more geared towards drifting.

I haven't been through the sheets just yet so I can't comment on it - I'm merely going by Ghosts intention for these sheets which as I said was for it to be used in drifting to my knowledge.

I may be getting ahead of myself and I apologise, I just think that there's a need for information pertaining to drifting it should be kept in the drift forum; don't mind me :lol:

gotcha. I still have a lot of doubts but I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

and GhostZ, I think you made a mistake on the sheet with the "Weight % Front", It shouldn't be a decimal it should be the same values for weight distribution since it's already in % on gt5.

A very professional looking document! I'm trying it out right now and had a question, what car did you use for the "default" values? Just curious.

PS: Good work GhostZ, looking forward to the other sheets.

Edit, you should really start reserving post 2 for updates, amendments and such.

I'm waiting to see the suspension stuff to compare it to my system. I've tried putting the time some of you guys put into tuning, and I realized by the time I got a car to where I wanted it, I was ready to quit playing. So i started using the car's weight distribution to determine each individual suspension component's range. That leaves toe and rebound to play with as my rear camber is never more than 2 and front is always set at 3 or 4.

I'm waiting to see the suspension stuff to compare it to my system. I've tried putting the time some of you guys put into tuning, and I realized by the time I got a car to where I wanted it, I was ready to quit playing. So i started using the car's weight distribution to determine each individual suspension component's range. That leaves toe and rebound to play with as my rear camber is never more than 2 and front is always set at 3 or 4.

Yup, I also can't wait for the suspension sheet!

Serum

You should never use over 1 on rear camber. That will do more harm then good.

I like to use between 1.5 and 2.2 camber for the rear and between 3.0 and 4.2 camber on front hence why im known as a speed drifter.

1.5 to 2.2 reduces rear grip. It has been tested that anything over 1 decreases grip on the rear. It will slow you down to be honest. :)

1.5 to 2.2 reduces rear grip. It has been tested that anything over 1 decreases grip on the rear. It will slow you down to be honest. :)

X2 in my opinion anything over 3 is not needed anywhere, it just reduces grip in the front. And over 1.5 in the rear is a waste of available traction.

most these guys know how i can handle myself very well on the track.But as i keep saying im more than willing to put my tunes up against these ones here :P.Alot is to do with the tune as i like to have a stiff front n looser backend. Plus my diff is 60-60-60

most these guys know how i can handle myself very well on the track.But as i keep saying im more than willing to put my tunes up against these ones here :P.Alot is to do with the tune as i like to have a stiff front n looser backend. Plus my diff is 60-60-60

That's where your speed comes from. Grippy LSD

Back