Drifting Preferances

• Thread starter SamDriftz
  • 31 comments
United Kingdom
England
Sideways_Sam
Ok, Just thought i would start up a little thread.
I'm hoping, this thread can be used as fun but also helpful to the "less able" drifters.
Instead of spamming the thread with 1,000,001 useless questions, they can come here and read this, then try out a few things for themselves

What are you drifting preferences?
What track is your favorite? What Car? What setup? What makes you like them more than the others? Wheel or Controller? That sort of stuff
Maybe even post a picture?

Mine has got to be the Silvia S15.. On Fuji.
I used "Team Shmo" suspension setup, put comfort softs on it, added a race air filter and a titanium racing exhaust. left the rest standard.. put the body kit on it, changed the wheels and the colour and off i went.

I only started drifting the Fuji track yesterday and already its my favorite.. it has a variety of different corners, its a really good practice track and i enjoy the scenery ;)

Im using a Logitech Driving Force GT and its only been in the past 2 hours that ive been able to hold proper drifts with it (Finally after about 2 weeks practice) I occasionally like the controller but its not as fun anymore, i can drift well on it but the wheel is more challenging, making it more fun for me :-)

I took this picture about an hour ago:

FujiSpeedwayF_1.jpg

Post your favorites here :-)

Last edited:
Autum ring mini, tsukuba, and fuji in an s13 or gt86 but I've been using the GT86 non stop since it was put in GT5 and I use a G27. I do my own setups and run around 350hp for all my drift cars except for the awd ones. Those have around 500 mostly. Most importantly, reverse entries. If you're not going in backwards, you're not doing it right.

Yo thought I'D post here like all the other cool guys haha
A bit about myself I started The Sparco Drift Team about 4 months ago and we've been on GTPlanet for about 2 months now. The team is great we got some really cool guys. I actually started out at GT5 Proluge and been drifting like for about a year.
My favourite cars are the RX-7 Type A and the 04' GTO 5.7 coupe
I use the same basic setup
Spring Rate 9.4/10.4 Camber 1.9/2.9
Dampener 4/4 Toe 0.20/0.20
5/5
Roll bars 4/4
I mainly use the contoller cause im to poor to buy a wheel Haha
Favourite course has to be Eiger Norwood Short track.

What are you drifting preferences? - I prefer the car responsing to me and dancing under my lead :)
What track is your favorite? Its Trial Mountain now, with the wheel. I just love how fast and nice entries you can do there.. And it flows nicely :)
What Car? I use a TwinTurbo Nissan Fairlady Z32 for the normal class(Average car speed, you know..) and a Dodge Viper gts '02 for the fast class.(Yes, that means faster cars..)
What setup? Something i tuned for it a long time ago, i do all of my setups on my own via trial and error.
What makes you like them more than the others? I love their appearance and of course the thing.. You know.. The car suits your style and you know how it acts.. How precise it is and yadda-yadda-yadda.
Wheel or Controller? I used to be happy with my controller.. When i lately got my wheel up and working.. Damn, i hate the controller drifters who think they CAN drift now.
67016466570d3a6d5918z.jpg
(i'm chasing.)
trialmountaincircuit1y.jpg

I'm sorry but those are the only pics i have of my cars right now guys, i recently just reinstalled my GT5 and i didnt know it wipes ALL of the pictures i have collected with 11 months of playing the game..

Oh and a last remark.. Use Comfort-Hard tyres guys!

OnoMaToPeja_ (iNs3CuRe)

I like when my car responds to my commands lightning fast :sly:

What track is your favorite?
My favourite track is gonna have to be Special Stage Route 5,
I just like how you can connect all these corners smoothly while pulling off some sick wall taps nearly each corner :dopey:

What Car?
Nissan PS13 because it was my first drift car in GT5 and also because its my 2nd favorite after a BMW E30 IRL. :)

What makes you like it more than the others?
I love the looks of it, the responsivness etc
Its a shame though that they released it with the CA engine in GT5,
the SR20 could give it more power, making it the ultimate drift weapon :dopey: 👍

What setup?
I usually try to setup a car myself, but if I cant do it I ask other advanced drifters for advice/help.

Wheel or Controller?
Logitech G25 all day everyday, and DS3 sometimes at night when the wheel is too loud. :ouch:
Also my wheel settings are Simulation, FFB 10, Power Steering OFF.

Why not :D

bezbluraps13.png

ps13edit.jpg

What are you drifting preferences? I have to have a lot of understeer and a loose car and I like to be able transition instantly.

What track is your favorite? Deep Forest

What Car? S15 ( Exactly like yours except black rims )

What setup? Just a loose car.

Controller

2mwrm1x.jpg

A stiff setup which has a good amount of power and is easily feint-able and handbrake-able

What track is your favourite?
I try drifting on all tracks and don't have a proper favourite. However I do love the H2H Fuji section and a new backwards clubman stage.

What Car? What setup?
The FT-86 G SPORTS and the FT-86 II. Both have slightly raised spring rates and dampers. -5 toe and 0.2 amber. Stiff sway bars and full power modifications with stage 1 turbo.

In all truth I love drifting all drift-able cars

What makes you like your car more than the others?
The look is actually a big factor. The cars look proper neat-o. the short wheelbase and good power and torque feels so good - low speed or high speed drifting.

Wheel or Controller? C
ontroller

Glad you asked!

picture.php

picture.php

Soft, low powered, big angle drifting :sly:

What track is your favourite?
I quite like Tsubuka, Eiger is my all time great, Trial Mountain, and Grand Valley on Sector Mode

What Car? What setup?
Nissan Silvia PS13, mainly because of James Deane of Low Brain Drifters won the JDM All Stars with it, but also because it looks awesome.

What makes you like your car more than the others?
My colour combos aren't really extreme, quite subtle. My PS13 has a slightly mismatching body kit on it in some light and the green wheels look awesome on it.

Wheel or Controller?
Both, depends how I'm feeling really.

:scared:

:dopey:

CH, FR (Obviously), and I like to setup my cars so that I feel safe getting a lot of angle without it spinning, and I like transition to be snappy but not TOO snappy! :sly:

If we're disregarding custom tracks, probably split between Grand Valley Speedway (especially the VDC section), and SSR5.

What Car?
Z33-S all-time favorite, just because of its ability to tandem with any car given you have the right setup. Kinda looks hot too :sly: I've been using M3 GTR and various others recently but I'll always go back to my Z33 for its reliability :)

Old picture of me chasing chris in our Z33's :crazy: (VDC section at Rome)

p63Me.jpg

Drifting with much angle :sly: I use Fr and CH of course

At the moment my favorit is SPA

What Car?
Ford mustang Mach1 because I saw monsterGAUZ drifting it and was like Woah It looked awesome and now it's my Favo. drift car :dopey:

You can tune it to much HP and it can get much angle and not many use it ;)

What setup?
It's my secret :sly: had some help from a friend too :)

Wheel or Controller?
Wheel of course! Controller are for 🤬 Making a custom E-Brake at the moment
Also my wheel settings are Simulation, FFB 3 , Power Steering OFF.

Sure

eddyac's Mach1 von eddyac auf Flickr

and a old one I did when I was at 400th posts :sly:

High Speed Ring edited von eddyac auf Flickr

Fastfox400

CH and anything that gets lots of angle and is snappy, but stable

Favorite track would have to be the VDC section on Grand Valley, along with a few custom track kart tracks on Eifel

What Car?
Aristo's, Blitz ER34's, Merc E55/C63, Nissan RPS13

I prefer 4 doors sedans, because I like to be different.

What setup?
I do most of my own tuning when I need help I have great team mates who help when their services are needed.

Wheel or Controller?
I use a controller because I had to sell my G27's due to a money issue.

Umm sure..

My (P) Blitz ER34 At Madrid.
CircuitodeMadrid_6.jpg

Im using a Logitech Driving Force GT and its only been in the past 2 hours that ive been able to hold proper drifts with it (Finally after about 2 weeks practice) I occasionally like the controller but its not as fun anymore, i can drift well on it but the wheel is more challenging, making it more fun for me :-)

Sam, you spent the last hour of yesterday's session complaining that you couldn't drift on your wheel and went back to your controller.

And please at least spell your thread titles correctly. *preferences

Sam, you spent the last hour of yesterday's session complaining that you couldn't drift on your wheel and went back to your controller.

And please at least spell your thread titles correctly. *preferences

yeah.... i got awesome... then got **** again... i dont get it! :L see i was good earlier for a few laps then BAM.... thats the sound of me hitting the wall...

and the "preferences" bit... i put that first but my chrome auto corrected it... :| :dopey:

yeah.... i got awesome... then got **** again... i dont get it! :L see i was good earlier for a few laps then BAM.... thats the sound of me hitting the wall...

and the "preferences" bit... i put that first but my chrome auto corrected it... :| :dopey:

Maybe this can be a valuable excuse. Im seeing a lot of good drifters (wheel users, including) losing the pace without any reason.

Maybe this can be a valuable excuse. Im seeing a lot of good drifters (wheel users, including) losing the pace without any reason.

no, it was either a lucky couple of hours, or a lack of concentration... either ways sometimes im good at drifting with my wheel... other times im poor.. ahh well, ill get there...
...eventually :dopey:

Obviously i'm a sheep - Comfort Hards and FR. But i am partial to a bit of AWD for messing around with.

Grand Valley East Reverse among others.

What Car?
Nissan Silvia S13/S14/S15, Nissan Fairlady Z 350z/370z, Mazda RX-7 FC/FD, Toyota Supra RZ, Maserati GranTurismo, Ferrari 599. Out of all of them i prefer the 370z most.

It slides how i like it and feels like it has a little more junk in its trunk compared to others.

What setup?
I prefer to do my own tuning so that i know how each part effects the car but recently i've just been using generic tuning from friends.

Wheel or Controller?
DS3, my DFGT likes to snap my fingers off.

GT5 by Sean Welland, on Flickr

You're welcome.

He's not in a race, this is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

Don´t be restricted to the RACE word, if youre driving online, youre in the same "boat". The bug is affecting the physics, giving a lack of speed and grip feeling randomly. Its affecting rooms with more than 10 users, specialy when using headset and/or racing wheels. Users with DS3 also are getting affected (i can speak for myself) with this random lack of grip and speed notion.

Anways, sorry for getting into the discussion of you both. Also sorry for go off-topic. Let the usefull topic continue.

I have been hit hugely by the bug accross two different race series with my DFGT, trust me, I know.

I have also been drifting with sam in our lobbies and seen him having trouble both alone and in groups.

Learning DFGT I have expressed the difficulties, but never complained. The class of 900 degree GT drifters is a real leap from pad or 180. By deciding on the task of learning you accept the effort and time it will take you, and must be determined not to just throw your kit out of your hands.

It's only once you push past the "OMFGthisisimpossible" stage that you can even begin to learn the car, how it reacts to what, and where and how you need it to go. You then must learn the extreme understanding of how to balence the ammount of countersteer, when you need the countersteer and how fast you must spin the wheel to avoid snap back or spinning out. Only THEN should you begin mastering throttle control in almost exactly the same way as countersteer.

It's a series of fierce steps, and at any point stress from learning could screw you over.
Good luck Sam!

Will hopefully add my submission here tomorrow.

Offline and Online drifting is completely different, I suck online unless I really focus and throw the car about. Offline I can sit back and do it one handed :sly:

JDM addict, if you're not going for style then you can put your wheel away! Can't beat cruising with the D-Max lads.

Changes, ATM got the love for Tokyo R246 + SSR7

What Car?

Nissan Silvia S13/S14. Always in the mood for the BLITZ Skyline.

It's the feel of the horsepower range and the simplicity of the car, I feel as if my hands are physically turning the wheels and the direct response from the rear wheels is just perfect!

What setup?

Nailing down set-ups across cars, it's very mixed moving to the DFGT.

Wheel or Controller?

Recent DFGT owner.

If you insist.

SpecialStageRoute7.jpg

^that is eye love right there!!!

ive had a 24hr break from GT now, getting back to the drifting :-)

....With my wheel -_-

Last edited:
Back