Drifting with Ds3 vs G27

• Thread starter Villeit
  • 35 comments
Sweden
Sweden
HuddingePacket
Like many others, lately I have had my focus on the coffee break challenges.

The first around the Autumn ring was a nightmare. Spent good 2-3 hours with my g27 until I golded it.

Then on to the next one with the mazda.. After about an hour I was 7 points from bronze. During this time I read some threads here on how to setup the car, tried different camera angles, tires, steering sensitivity etc. But still really hard to drift. I missed the handbrake..

This morning I got up and just casually picked up the Ds3 and started to drift. After like 3 attempts I started to smile. I realised I had used the wrong "tool". It was just so much easier with the DS3! I would love to be able to drift with the g27 but it seems like getting it to full lock is just so much harder.
After 30 mins I golded mazda challenge.

Now I am on the Rome circuit with the Blitz r34 and got silver after 10 minutes.

Does anyone share my experience here? Or have I missed something with my steering wheel setup? Perhaps less ffb?

The first around the Autumn ring was a nightmare. Spent good 2-3 hours with my g27 until I golded it.

Then on to the next one with the mazda.. After about an hour I was 7 points from bronze. During this time I read some threads here on how to setup the car, tried different camera angles, tires, steering sensitivity etc. But still really hard to drift. I missed the handbrake..

This morning I got up and just casually picked up the Ds3 and started to drift. After like 3 attempts I started to smile. I realised I had used the wrong "tool". It was just so much easier with the DS3! I would love to be able to drift with the g27 but it seems like getting it to full lock is just so much harder.

Now I am on the Rome circuit with the Blitz r34 and got silver after 10 minutes.

Does anyone share my experience here? Or have I missed something with my steering wheel setup? Perhaps less ffb?
To be able to drift with a wheel takes several hours of pratice and when you do get better you feel gratified I'd do almost anything to have a G27

To be able to drift with a wheel takes several hours of pratice and when you do get better you feel gratified I'd do almost anything to have a G27

I agree, using steering wheel is more realistic, and I have put it to good use one everything else Gt6 where it is superior to the ds3 in my opinion. But I am surprised over how big the difference is for drifting. Maybe i'll give the steering wheel another go at a later stage. (Could be the ffb which i prefer to be on the highest setting for racing)

Still stuck on the Blitz challenge. 20 points off gold. But now too tired, better get some rest and try again tomorrow.

The DS3 might be easier, but in the opinion of someone that can drift quite well with either 'tool', the wheel is by far the superior device.

Stick with it.

It's all about weight transfer, steering flow, confident initiations, and fast, smooth countersteering and throttle inputs.

Are you just spinning out all the time or some snap back aswell?

G27 drifting is far harder to learn than DS3 drifting. If you want to get the drift trials done as soon as you can, use your DS3. The unfortunate thing about the DS3 is that if you keep practicing with it you'll find you can only improve so much and that if you use a G27 you will eventually become better with it than hat you could be with a DS3.

Stick to it bro, it's the hard yakka that'll get you your gold

The DS3 might be easier, but in the opinion of someone that can drift quite well with either 'tool', the wheel is by far the superior device.

Stick with it.

It's all about weight transfer, steering flow, confident initiations, and fast, smooth countersteering and throttle inputs.

Are you just spinning out all the time or some snap back aswell?

I think it was mainly spinning out of control.. I also believe that I didn't turn the steering wheel enough either as it is easier to get "full lock" on ds3.

I'm a bit curious, how do you use the g27 when drifting? With the gearstick and clutch or the pads, brake and throttle? And what about handbrake? I tried to set the top right button on the wheel as handbrake but wasn't such a good idea as the wheel kept turning.

I think it was mainly spinning out of control.. I also believe that I didn't turn the steering wheel enough either as it is easier to get "full lock" on ds3.

I'm a bit curious, how do you use the g27 when drifting? With the gearstick and clutch or the pads, brake and throttle? And what about handbrake? I tried to set the top right button on the wheel as handbrake but wasn't such a good idea as the wheel kept turning.
I use a dfgt.

So throttle and brake, and sequential gearstick. I do have a home built handbrake but ignore that to start with. I am led to believe the G27 gearshifter can be set to sequential mode? I'd recommend that.

As others have said, if you want to just pass the trials, just hit it with the DS3. Drifting properly with a wheel borders on an art form.

It takes time and dedication to achieve any level of decent drifting with a wheel.

First, enter a corner at a normal race pace, then when you know you will make the corner (apex normally), floor the throttle and hold the steering into the corner. As the rear goes, keep the power on, and start counter steering, as you feel like the angle is enough, 'blip' off and back onto the power, whilst adding the last bit of counter steering, then 'catch' the slide on the throttle.

Edit
I pay most attention to the rotation if the car, if the rotation is too fast, you're about to spin, if it's slowing down, your about to snap back. I use the rotation of the car as my number one cue after steering wheel feel. (feeling for front end grip)

Some people find it easier to let go of the wheel of 'throw' it round and then catch it as you see the rotation of the car slow into a balanced drift.

Once caught, it's a balance of throttle and steering. About to spin? Less throttle/more counter. About to snap out of the slide? More throttle/less counter.

Too much throttle or too little counter will cause a spin. Too little throttle or too much counter will cause snap back.

Once you have the power slide down, you can start to look at feinting (weight transfer initiation) on corner entry to start the slide before the corner.

I have a few videos from different angles in my video thread, all done with DFGT.

You should see that the car rotates around the front wheels, meaning that my countering is in time with the cars rotation, not after or before it.

If your steering is too fast or too slow, you will spin or snap back.

It's all about balance, and practice.

>Here< is my video thread.

And >here< is my tune thread, with setups aimed at being beginner friendly.

Good luck 👍:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Thanks FuzzyFez , and regarding ds3, I'm done with it now as all drift challenges have been golded. So the steering wheel will be the next one ;)

And what you explained regarding the drift itself is pretty much how I go about it for ds3 (and for the steering wheel for that matter), but I think my reaction time with the wheel is too slow.

Thanks FuzzyFez , and regarding ds3, I'm done with it now as all drift challenges have been golded. So the steering wheel will be the next one ;)

And what you explained regarding the drift itself is pretty much how I go about it for ds3 (and for the steering wheel for that matter), but I think my reaction time with the wheel is too slow.
No problem.

Well in that case its just practice.

My counter steering is in time with the cars rotation, maybe a split second later, but a split second more is too long, and would cause a spin.

Watch as many in car drifting videos as you can.

The drift bible is a great place to start, but if you understand the basic techniques, it really is just a case of practice.

I highly recommend my beginner setups as they have medium power, enough to slide, but not too much to get you into trouble. They are all setup to be super stable in full throttle oversteer, meaning once you have caught the drift, you 'should' be able to hold full throttle and steer out of the bend, rather than having to worry about throttle control to prevent spinning.

This helps your concentrate on your steering, and can sometimes be the key to progression.

Glad your sticking with the wheel, it's well worth the satisfaction you will get when it clicks :gtpflag:👍

Last edited:
I would say that it's easier to drift with a DS3. Only because you can go lock-to-lock within a blink of an eye. I haven't been drifting with a wheel yet, so I don't really know, but I would assume it's a quite logical reason to why it's easier with a DS3.
I'll get my G27 with seat tomorrow, so in about 30 hours or so, I would really know :D

Last edited:
I would say that it's easier to drift with a DS3. Only because you can go lock-to-lock within a blink of an eye. I haven't been drifting with a wheel yet, so I don't really know, but I would assume it's a quite logical reason to why it's easier with a DS3.
I'll get my G27 with seat tomorrow, so in about 30 hours or so, I would really know :D
I can actually get from lock to lock just as fast. It's about working with the wheel, rather than against it.

Enjoy you new setup 👍

I can actually get from lock to lock just as fast. It's about working with the wheel, rather than against it.

Enjoy you new setup 👍

Really? I know it can be done rapidly, but that it could be done THAT fast.

Oh, I plan to :D Actually, the guy I'm buying it from wrote to me on Facebook, asking if it was ok with me if he brought it to me today instead of tomorrow 👍👍 So...maybe in about an hour or so :D

Really? I know it can be done rapidly, but that it could be done THAT fast.

Oh, I plan to :D Actually, the guy I'm buying it from wrote to me on Facebook, asking if it was ok with me if he brought it to me today instead of tomorrow 👍👍 So...maybe in about an hour or so :D
Oh yes, if you throw the wheel in time with the front wheels 'wanting' to turn, then even my dfgt will spin almost impossibly fast and actually 'clunk' against the lock stop, quite violently sometimes.

Lucky you!

Trust me, you'll love it, once you get used to it. :cheers:

I use both G27 and DS3 and both have there pros and cons. i find that its all on your driving style and your own personal tuning methods. Some like the feel of heavy resistance and others rather the wheel be light and spin quickly to full lock, same goes with DS3 some can be smooth with a sensitivity setting set at -2 and others like a really quick steering setup for their snappy transitions. When i use a DS3 i steer with the Dpad and use X and square for gas and brake, yes the old school GT setup. so my steering is at -2 due to the quickness of the dpad compaired to the sticks. I like my DS3 for faster drifting but thats just until my skills get better on the G27

I use both G27 and DS3 and both have there pros and cons. i find that its all on your driving style and your own personal tuning methods. Some like the feel of heavy resistance and others rather the wheel be light and spin quickly to full lock, same goes with DS3 some can be smooth with a sensitivity setting set at -2 and others like a really quick steering setup for their snappy transitions. When i use a DS3 i steer with the Dpad and use X and square for gas and brake, yes the old school GT setup. so my steering is at -2 due to the quickness of the dpad compaired to the sticks. I like my DS3 for faster drifting but thats just until my skills get better on the G27

Interesting, my sensitivity for ds3 and g27 is 7 :)

Interesting, my sensitivity for ds3 and g27 is 7 :)
7 on a controller can give your front tires that flappy fish tail look when counter steering and depending on the style of drifter you are, it could make for a twitchy drift session.

So...I got my wheel yesterday and...🤬 It's so insanely hard :banghead: With DS3 I can do a continuous drifts for months (almost) ;) , but with the wheel I can hardly make it around one turn. Wheel rotation set @ 450 degrees FFB 5 and simulation. My respect of those that drift with a wheel has rised to new heights :bowdown:
It's kinda funny though. It's supposed to be a simulator, but I can't even go around one simple turn, but I have no problem doing that IRL :banghead:

On the other hand, I can't leave work fast enough so I can get home behind the wheel for some much needed practice. "Only" 9 hours left:D

Edit: Spelling was completely off

Last edited:
I know. Have no intention on giving up. Gotta make the rig worth the $300 I spent buying it :)

Planning on flipping the pedals and getting a real E-brake this week :)

So...I got my wheel yesterday and...🤬 It's so insanely hard :banghead: With DS3 I can do a continuous drifts for months (almost) ;) , but with the wheel I can hardly make it around one turn. Wheel rotation set @ 450 degrees FFB 5 and simulation. My respect of those that drift with a wheel has rised to new heights :bowdown:
It's kinda funny though. It's supposed to be a simulator, but I can't even go around one simple turn, but I have no problem doing that IRL :banghead:

On the other hand, I can't leave work fast enough so I can get home behind the wheel for some much needed practice. "Only" 9 hours left:D

Don't just jump in and start trying to drift...

Drive a reasonable performance car on CS or SH, drive fast, like racing. Get used to what the wheel is telling you. Try a stock premium S2000 or RX7. 50:50 weight distribution will help get you used to sensing the early stages of the slide, rather than it all being too late to do anything.

If your intent on drifting straight away you will probably get frustrated. (but try out my tunes if your set on drifting , this one is particularly stable
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/mazda-efini-rx-7-type-r-fd-91.34/)

It could take a week or two just to match your ds3 race pace.

Good luck mate :cheers:

No it does not. It should only affect the DS3 but it does make a difference on the wheel also.
From my testing with dfgt, it makes zero difference. Also 'simulation' makes no difference to dfgt.

Others have come to the same conclusion.

I tested many different chassis' from karts to drift cars to Redbull to GT3 to rally cars.

Edit

Sorry for double post

I actually did just that. I took a 450-460-ish PP Evo IV and did a 2-lap race around the Nordschleife...won that and was ready to drift...or not. I was already planning on doing some more racing tonight, but thanks for the advice anyway:)

I did try the setup you have for the S13 (the premium one) but I can't say it was any better (or worse) than my 582 PP 650 bhp Supra.

I guess it's not the cars that make me totally unable to drift with the wheel...it's just me. Thank god I still have the DS3 to fall back to...just to remind me of that I'm awesome at drifting ;) not to mention, extremely humble:D

I actually did just that. I took a 450-460-ish PP Evo IV and did a 2-lap race around the Nordschleife...won that and was ready to drift...or not. I was already planning on doing some more racing tonight, but thanks for the advice anyway:)

I did try the setup you have for the S13 (the premium one) but I can't say it was any better (or worse) than my 582 PP 650 bhp Supra.

I guess it's not the cars that make me totally unable to drift with the wheel...it's just me. Thank god I still have the DS3 to fall back to...just to remind me of that I'm awesome at drifting ;) not to mention, extremely humble:D
Haha, stick with it :cheers:

Wheel rotation set at 450 degrees ?

Back