Drive Hub Racing Wheel Converter

• Thread starter VBR
  • 3,303 comments
Not sure if this has been answered.

I have my drivehub from when I used to run my Fanatec GT3RS. I've since upgraded to the PS4 CSL and loved the compatibility. But I'm ready to upgrade to a DD setup with Heusinkveld Sprint pedals. I'm trying to decide between running the DD2 vs the PS4 DD. My question is in regards to compatibility/settings.

With the PS4 DD wheel, correct me if I'm wrong, it uses different settings than the PS4 CSL Elite (has it's own setup?) and is "native". But running the DD through the drivehub will require running in either Fanalogic/Logitech mode as there is no native support for the DD2.

If this is true, my assumption is that a DD2 running through a Drivehub, while it does work, will be inferior to running the PS4 DD directly into the PS4 with native settings. Id rather have less peak force and a superior overall setup through native support. But if there is no difference in feel, I'll opt for the DD2. Or am I incorrect and the PS4 DD and PS4 CSL use the same wheel setting/selection in GT Sport

Not sure if this has been answered.

I have my drivehub from when I used to run my Fanatec GT3RS. I've since upgraded to the PS4 CSL and loved the compatibility. But I'm ready to upgrade to a DD setup with Heusinkveld Sprint pedals. I'm trying to decide between running the DD2 vs the PS4 DD. My question is in regards to compatibility/settings.

With the PS4 DD wheel, correct me if I'm wrong, it uses different settings than the PS4 CSL Elite (has it's own setup?) and is "native". But running the DD through the drivehub will require running in either Fanalogic/Logitech mode as there is no native support for the DD2.

If this is true, my assumption is that a DD2 running through a Drivehub, while it does work, will be inferior to running the PS4 DD directly into the PS4 with native settings. Id rather have less peak force and a superior overall setup through native support. But if there is no difference in feel, I'll opt for the DD2. Or am I incorrect and the PS4 DD and PS4 CSL use the same wheel setting/selection in GT Sport

I think you would have to try and confirm with @Podger but the collective minds site doesn't list the DD wheels as supported.

I think the DD wheels have a mode where they can emulate a CSW v2.5 which you could then use the Drivehub with to either emulate a G29 or CSL Elite with PS4. Again, you'd need to do some digging to verify this.

As you mention, you may find you're missing out on a lot of the Podium DD's benefits doing that though. If I was in your position I'd probably be buying the PS4 compatible DD. You can still use the Drivehub to help with connecting other peripherals (not sure how your Heusinkveld Sprints would be connected for example) but just use the 'Direct' connection configuration with the Drivehub.

Perhaps silly questions but:
1) Have you got your XBOX Controller connected to the Controller port of Drivehub and switched off before connecting the Drivehub to your XBOX?
2) Have you got the Wheel connected to the Wheel/Controller port of the drive hub?
3) Does the wheel have different modes, e.g. PS/PC? You might need it to be in a specific mode for it to work

Ive got a second hand xbox one and controller, I think the issue maybe the micro usb socket on the controller solder connections are broken....Great...could this be the issue?

Ive got a second hand xbox one and controller, I think the issue maybe the micro usb socket on the controller solder connections are broken....Great...could this be the issue?
If they are broken I’d expect that to be the issue. The drivehub needs to communicate with the controller to pass authentication data to the console. If the connectors are broken it won’t be able to do that.

I think you would have to try and confirm with @Podger but the collective minds site doesn't list the DD wheels as supported.

I think the DD wheels have a mode where they can emulate a CSW v2.5 which you could then use the Drivehub with to either emulate a G29 or CSL Elite with PS4. Again, you'd need to do some digging to verify this.

As you mention, you may find you're missing out on a lot of the Podium DD's benefits doing that though. If I was in your position I'd probably be buying the PS4 compatible DD. You can still use the Drivehub to help with connecting other peripherals (not sure how your Heusinkveld Sprints would be connected for example) but just use the 'Direct' connection configuration with the Drivehub.

I did some digging and found a guy in the Podium thread who tested his PS4 DD with and without the drivehub (in Fanatec mode) and found zero difference between the two.

The PS4/GT view the PS4 Podium as a CSL Elite, so running a DD2 through the drivehub in CSW mode as a CSL Elite would be the same as running a PS4 DD natively, from what i can tell.

Looks like I’ll go DD2 and use my current formula wheel.

Last edited:
Cool. One last thing to consider is the potential risk that PS5 doesn’t support current wheels. Next gen Xbox is confirmed to work with current wheels but Sony haven’t announced anything yet. The hope is that due to backwards compatibility with PS4 games Sony will follow this lead but if it matters to you, or wouldn’t want to have to change wheelbase in the short term, it may be worth waiting on an announcement on this.
I took the risk recently buying a CSWv2.5 but DD2 is a lot more dosh!

Cool. One last thing to consider is the potential risk that PS5 doesn’t support current wheels. Next gen Xbox is confirmed to work with current wheels but Sony haven’t announced anything yet. The hope is that due to backwards compatibility with PS4 games Sony will follow this lead but if it matters to you, or wouldn’t want to have to change wheelbase in the short term, it may be worth waiting on an announcement on this.
I took the risk recently buying a CSWv2.5 but DD2 is a lot more dosh!

That’s also in the back of my mind, but I highly doubt the drivehub won’t work. Even if PS5 pulls the same BS move they did with PS4, the market will respond with a solution as it always does.

If only Sony/MS realized this and stopped the BS. Like do you want to compete and steal customers from the PC market? Or would you rather piss us off and run into the open arms of PC’s.

Playing Assetto Competizione on PS4 Pro with dfgt and thrustmaster t3a pedals with drivehub but game says for steering stick1 or stick 2 not G29 wheel it should list as i would of thought, is it supported?

Last edited:
Bit of an odd question hopefully someone can help me with.

Currently im running a dd2 with a v2 formula rim happily playing gt sport. I want to get a podium hub and paddle shifters to use with a 350mm leather wheel to better emulate road cars that i like to drive. In doing that i wont have and buttons to navigate menus etc. Can you use a second ps controller paired with your playstation to navigate menus in gtsport and then use your drivehub wheel to drive?

ty for any response.

I use the fanatec csw 2.5 and a universal hub with Drivehub on ps4 and I can use the ps controller, that is used for authentication, to navigate.

Strangely this did not work when I was using the G25.

Bit of an odd question hopefully someone can help me with.

Currently im running a dd2 with a v2 formula rim happily playing gt sport. I want to get a podium hub and paddle shifters to use with a 350mm leather wheel to better emulate road cars that i like to drive. In doing that i wont have and buttons to navigate menus etc. Can you use a second ps controller paired with your playstation to navigate menus in gtsport and then use your drivehub wheel to drive?

ty for any response.

Yeah i just had a bit of a play around then. I can use the buttons and joystick on the v2 formula for navigation and the drivehub connected ps controller for navigation too.

Looks like it should be fine. I have already have the 350mm wheel just waiting (for ever) for fanatec gear to come back in stock to get the podium hub.

DS4 is not compatible with PS5 games, could this mean trouble for DH on PS5?

I think the theory will be that any existing wheel which is compatible with PS4 will 'appear' the same to the PS5 so when Drivehub is emulating that, the PS5 should see it as a compatible wheel as well. My understanding is that the DS4 is really just providing authentication packets of data so hopefully it will all continue to work as is.

As @MarcoM says, we'l have to wait and see but I feel pretty confident it should work OK.

Maybe newer wheels will become PS5 specific with extra features that PS5 enables, perhaps the Drivehub will be able to use the Dual Sense controller in the future for that purpose but pure speculation just now.

I'm considering getting an old DS4 and sticking the guts into a smaller enclosure connected to my Drivehub. I can stick that somewhere on my wheel stand instead of connecting/disconnecting the DS4 as and when. Means I could sell the PS4 pro on with its controller if I want too after getting PS5.

I said you need both adapters. Podger was the one that told me it works.

I did this with my G920/Drivehub on PS4 so I could remove the rubber bumper and get full travel in GTS without the deadzone at the end (The TM usb adapter auto calibrates), the only difference is I made my own DB9 to T.RJ12 cable/adapter, but did have to buy the T.RJ12 to USB TM adapter as recommended by Podger. I even made a second patch cable with the brake and clutch swapped so I could quickly swap the brake and clutch pedals around when I was testing different setups and do quick comparisons, like the GTEye spring. (I didn't use the clutch as a clutch)

I also have a Copilot but used this setup first.

Attached are pics of my cable with TM usb adapter, and the official TM DB9 to T.RJ12 cable.
Hi,

Just ordered drivehub to play Gt Sport with g27 wheel and pedals on Ps4, i am reading this forum to get up to speed with setting things up when it arrives. My question is will I most likely have brake issues playing GT Sport, and need to add modded hardware like you made, or use a pc to calibrate brake properly?

The G27 is similar to the G25. No need to do anything. Just make sure to plug it in correctly and off you go.
Hi,

Just ordered drivehub to play Gt Sport with g27 wheel and pedals on Ps4, i am reading this forum to get up to speed with setting things up when it arrives. My question is will I most likely have brake issues playing GT Sport, and need to add modded hardware like you made, or use a pc to calibrate brake properly?

Hi,

As it is emulating a G29 the brake will be calibrated to expect the rubber bumper that is in the G29 (G25/G27 users can confirm), so you really have 4 options from memory because you can't calibrate it on the PC for PS4.
  • put up with the deadzone at the end of the brake pedal travel
  • Do what I did with the adapters
  • Make your own bumper and put it in the brake
  • Or try Fanatec Mode on the Drivehub (I can't remember the results but I may have posted something about it in this thread)

I did nothing from all of the above and it worked fine. Brakeforce is determined by position anyway.

Thanks Guys, it has been so long since i raced can't actuality remember what mods i put in my pedals, need to take them apart to check. i think i made a custom brake stopper to give it a more realistic feel instead of removing the stock rubber bumper. Drivehub should be in Monday, guess i will find out then. I really appreciate the help.

Got it setup today, it was pretty easy and works well, brake has pretty good movement and feel. The next question is, do you need to leave controller plugged in to drivehub and does it charge controller?

Simple support for Drivehub

5F74B74C-2447-4596-8172-BCC7D2A7AFAA.jpeg
C87AC26D-E6A0-4D86-A6AD-7D8A76CEC15E.jpeg

I am sure that this has been presented before, but

I don't understand why the DD1/DD2 can't be purchased stand alone and PS4 ready. Being forced to purchase an F1 wheel as part of the obligatory package just to use the DD1 at this stage in the game is frustrating, at least give a GT wheel option. I would imagine the market for GT sport players is magnitudes higher than other sims/games, so why so limited? I get the licensing fees, but what is wrong with giving GT sport players the option, even if it costs more. giving X-box users more options is senseless. I want a fanatec DD base, and I am forced to use a drive hub (I have no use for an F1 wheel)? I am hoping this will change in the near future

I am sure that this has been presented before, but

I don't understand why the DD1/DD2 can't be purchased stand alone and PS4 ready. Being forced to purchase an F1 wheel as part of the obligatory package just to use the DD1 at this stage in the game is frustrating, at least give a GT wheel option. I would imagine the market for GT sport players is magnitudes higher than other sims/games, so why so limited? I get the licensing fees, but what is wrong with giving GT sport players the option, even if it costs more. giving X-box users more options is senseless. I want a fanatec DD base, and I am forced to use a drive hub (I have no use for an F1 wheel)? I am hoping this will change in the near future

Let's hope fanatec will release a dd1 ps4 base. The same scenario as with the csl elite

To be honest i would really like to have a Csw v2.5 or even v3 Playstation version also.

agree, i would have purchased a club sport base
the bundled wheel for the CSL elite has served me well, but with over a years worth of use, there are fractures in the plastic drive shaft mount and the brass nuts have worked their way out, the wheel is very unstable and unplayable. I have the clubsport 918 RSR on order, hope to get it very soon, also hope the mounting design is more durable.....

The fanatec CSW 2.5 has 1000 hz usb refresh rate. How does the drivehub handle 1000 hz refresh rate, is it simply passed through to the ps4 or slowed down to the drivehub to the ps4.

example: CSW 2.5 -> drivehub - 1000 hz. drivehub to ps4 -> 250hz ?

Cheers,
Rob

r c
The fanatec CSW 2.5 has 1000 hz usb refresh rate. How does the drivehub handle 1000 hz refresh rate, is it simply passed through to the ps4 or slowed down to the drivehub to the ps4.

example: CSW 2.5 -> drivehub - 1000 hz. drivehub to ps4 -> 250hz ?

Cheers,
Rob
You won't feel it even if it's 250Hz. But AFAIK it's 1000Hz.

Latest Posts

Back