Driveclub AI is Really Good? (Legend Difficulty)

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 38 comments
United Kingdom
London, UK
Shirrako
I tried the Driveclub AI with the difficulty set to "Legend" for the first time, Well for the first few races, the AI destroyed me completely, then I figured the track out and this happened...

As you can see even though I handle the car really well, The AI manages to stay right behind me, with such AI in GT7 or Project CARS, I would be happy to play against, really difficult and builds the tension, one mistake and the AI will vanish from your eyes.

Not many people know about this crazy AI difficulty which is only available in "Single Race" mode.
I'd say that this is the most underrated racing game I've ever seen to be honest, sure it had a bad launch, but Project CARS will need to really impress me in order to beat Driveclub on my best PS4 games list.

Last edited:
It's just rubber banding. Not really that good, although certainly better than the rubber banding in GT6.
Not really, DC AI is very aggressive on Legend difficulty, It felt like racing a good player online against the AI, not to mention that I had the better car and I'm not sure if the AI uses P1's KERS & DRS.

From my experience with racing games AI, I think that people are missing out by playing against the AI on lower difficulties.
At the end of the race, I didn't even win by half a second, really impressive, I think people should try out this difficulty and then say what they think.

Again, it's rubber banding. I'm not trying to dispute that the Legendary AI is fast. It's a good compititor. But it still adjusts its speed to yours, albeit not to the same extend as the lower difficulties.

I don't think the AI in Driveclub is bad, although it could stand to be a bit more aware of its surroundings.

Again, it's rubber banding. I'm not trying to dispute that the Legendary AI is fast. It's a good compititor. But it still adjusts its speed to yours, albeit not to the same extend as the lower difficulties.

I don't think the AI in Driveclub is bad, although it could stand to be a bit more aware of its surroundings.
You are right at some point, but the difference between the Legendary AI and other AI difficulties is that even if you're not first, the AI does not slow down, meaning you will have trouble catching up, it's quite aware of the surroundings but the tracks in Driveclub don't have much space to move around, it's difficult to overtake in some tracks, no wonder the AI has trouble overtaking sometimes.

I think that the Legendary AI is more challenging than online in Driveclub, I remember winning every race in first place unless I got rammed off the road by the online players, so to race a worthy opponent is really fun, the AI may adjust the speed to yours, but you as a player can make mistakes, the AI on legendary doesn't seem to make these mistakes as often as the player would.

I agree about the legendary level opposition, what is more, I think it's compounded by having just the one AI to race against. The very first challenge I did was sent by my team captain, it was at semi-pro level, just two sports class cars on Loch Duich; twenty-five laps. That AI kept me on my toes for the entire race.

I also agree that they will leave you for dead on legendary, if you make a serious mistake.

EDIT: When racing with the Wombat, you can hear the others using boost, so I'm guessing the AI also use KERS etc.

Last edited:
The DC AI on Legend before the later updates had nooooooo mercy. Twas really fun though

As of today though, I think Evo toned down the AI a tad because Legend for me is much easier now.

Apparently Evo is working on the AI a bit more using Rushy and other Evo team members. So I guess we may get something different soon

They have said that the AI has been toned down a little since the original version of the game, something about making them less precise under all circumstances (though they still drive like gods at night and in heavy snow.)

I must say I'm intrigued by the new idea they mentioned.

I can't wait to check out the Project CARS top difficulty AI, if it's faster than Driveclub then it will be really a tough game, I highly doubt it will be faster than the Driveclub AI though, It was impossible to beat them in the night so I can see why Evolution would tone it down a little.

@Shirrako Been checking out a few P.Cars vids on PS4 and apparently the AI can be quite brutal if you crank it up to at least 70-80% . I guess it could be quite tough but let's see what the 8th of May holds.

@MeanElf I'm curious to see what they have planned. I think a nice thing for Evo to do would be to create an Ultra difficulty level, AI so brutal:mad: and merciless
ohnoes.gif
that it will be a challenge among the most challenging in order to come first (Hard like Street Fighter on Max Difficulty going against Akuma or unlocking Shadow Jago from KI) Plus to unlock it you need to ace key times on certain courses. Imagine the amount of Youtube videos and bragging threads showing up of people unlocking Ultra Difficulty and coming first in an Ultra Race :lol:

Kinda like those old novelty challenges that you get from older games and a few new ones. Just a random thought though

it's not rubberbanding at all, if you are fast enough you can easily distance it and give seconds a lap and finish the race way way way ahead. I wish that the AI was a LOT harder at the higher difficulties, fine to have it scale down at lower, but legend should be a lot, lot faster than it is right now.

We'll see how pcars will be, although I will have to go pc for pcars unfortunately due to lack of logitech wheel support on the ps4, I'd really have preferred to stay on ps4 for pcars due to the likelihood of cheating on the pc side but I really have to use a wheel for something as simmy as pcars.

it's not rubberbanding at all, if you are fast enough you can easily distance it and give seconds a lap and finish the race way way way ahead. I wish that the AI was a LOT harder at the higher difficulties, fine to have it scale down at lower, but legend should be a lot, lot faster than it is right now.

We'll see how pcars will be, although I will have to go pc for pcars unfortunately due to lack of logitech wheel support on the ps4, I'd really have preferred to stay on ps4 for pcars due to the likelihood of cheating on the pc side but I really have to use a wheel for something as simmy as pcars.

If the AI speeds up or slows down according to your speed, it's rubber banding. It doesn't have to adjust to your exact speed, for it to be rubber banding.

I really didn't find Legend that hard personally. As long as you didn't do a 360 degree turn they weren't very intuitive at all. The best challenge in Driveclub's career came from the hot lap challenges and gaining the stars.

I use legendary difficulty because my driving style make me think they are driving in slow motion. Even in this difficulty, I can still reached first or second.

Last edited:
I, personally, did not find it fun in the slightest. For a start, my friend Pollux458 was over and he wanted to take some pics of a pagani huayra. He had never played the game before, so he crashed and burned, and in the end just started screwing around and stopping here and there to take shots. Wanna know how far he lost by? 15 seconds. On hard difficulty. No rubber banding you say?

But, rubber banding doesn't necessarily make it not fun. Rubber band AI can and has been done very well in some certain games. Driveclub? Not even close. Yeah sure, the legendary AI is fast, but here is the biggest problem; The Driving line of these things are completely stupid. So if you are in front of them by only a little, you will be killed at the next corner unless you take the exact same driving line as the AI.

Now, to some people, this is fine, as their driving line reflects the AI. For me, it is not fine, because I prefer braking early and accelerating hard in the corner, as this does a couple of things. One, it is pretty much as fast as late braking if done correctly, and two, it causes the opposing drivers to rethink their own line and entry speed as there is a car slowing early and taking a much tighter apex than them directly in-front of them. If done correctly, it is very hard to overtake a person on this rhythm. Unfortunately, DC's aggressive AI has absolutely no clue how to deal with this, so they just ram you in the back, which causes you to spin, and they take none of the consequences because they are on rails and there is no damage. Either that or they overtake you in braking, completely stealing your line and often cutting grass to do so, which would probably send them to the pits in a real race

So yeah, the AI is just too dumb. Obviously they were designed this way so that they were hard to race with, and for some that may be fun. And I do realize that this doesn't only happen in DC, but it is the only game in which it happens to me without fail. so yeah, there is my 2 cents.

If the AI speeds up or slows down according to your speed, it's rubber banding. It doesn't have to adjust to your exact speed, for it to be rubber banding.

They only slow down if there is a considerably large distance between you and them, like say they're almost a full lap ahead on the circuit tracks. Otherwise, on Legend at least, they're always going to drive to the limit with the perfect driving line and use slip stream to catch up whenever possible, whether they're ahead or you're ahead. What's in the OP's video isn't showcasing rubberbanding.

They only slow down if there is a considerably large distance between you and them, like say they're almost a full lap ahead on the circuit tracks. Otherwise, on Legend at least, they're always going to drive to the limit with the perfect driving line and use slip stream to catch up whenever possible, whether they're ahead or you're ahead. What's in the OP's video isn't showcasing rubberbanding.
If it isn't rubber banding, then its a driving games version of aimbot.

I've done my fair share of Legendary racing as well. And just like the other difficulties, they do slow down or speed up relative to how fast you're going. It's not as prominent as the lower difficulties, meaning you will in fact be able to get left in the dust even when going at a moderate pace, just like you can leave them in the dust, if you are super quick. Regardless, it's rubber banding all the same. The only difference is how much it is applied.

If it isn't rubber banding, then its a driving games version of aimbot.

Point? No one here is arguing that rubber banding is necessarily a bad thing.

Point? No one here is arguing that rubber banding is necessarily a bad thing.
I never said driving aimbot was a particularly bad thing either. He just said it wasn't rubber banding, so I said that.

I can't wait to check out the Project CARS top difficulty AI, if it's faster than Driveclub then it will be really a tough game, I highly doubt it will be faster than the Driveclub AI though, It was impossible to beat them in the night so I can see why Evolution would tone it down a little.
I'm not familar with DC AI, but from what I gather about PCars AI, running them at max difficulty is going to be extremely challenging, although I gather in the career mode, at least so far, in the lower tiers of racing the AI are somewhat scaled back. I hope this changes shortly after release.

I'm not familar with DC AI, but from what I gather about PCars AI, running them at max difficulty is going to be extremely challenging, although I gather in the career mode, at least so far, in the lower tiers of racing the AI are somewhat scaled back. I hope this changes shortly after release.
I'll be able to provide my review of the PCars AI next week when I get my copy, having played Driveclub for over 50hrs, I will put the same amount into PCars probably, So next week I may also make a video comparing the difficulty, it's not going to be easy due to different tracks, but i'll think about a fair comparison through the week.

I'll be able to provide my review of the PCars AI next week when I get my copy, having played Driveclub for over 50hrs, I will put the same amount into PCars probably, So next week I may also make a video comparing the difficulty, it's not going to be easy due to different tracks, but i'll think about a fair comparison through the week.
Take note though, the AI in the early stages of career modes are scaled back, meaning 100% AI in the rookie Formula Ford career race, won't be the same as 100% AI in the GT3 or LMP portion of the career, nor the same as it would be in a race you create yourself. I'm not a fan of this hidden scaling and I think there will be a fair bit of outrage after the game launches and people are running at 100%AI in the rookie classes and not finding it very challenging.

Take note though, the AI in the early stages of career modes are scaled back, meaning 100% AI in the rookie Formula Ford career race, won't be the same as 100% AI in the GT3 or LMP portion of the career, nor the same as it would be in a race you create yourself. I'm not a fan of this hidden scaling and I think there will be a fair bit of outrage after the game launches and people are running at 100%AI in the rookie classes and not finding it very challenging.
I'll make sure to find the most challenging AI difficulty using the same cars in both games, PCars has all cars unlocked from the start I think?

rookie class will be easy, but PCars allows you to jump right in and use the "big boys", meaning you can use the GT3 or LMP cars as your first cars, unlike Gran Turismo or Driveclub.

is it me or the AI in 'from dusk until dawn' is better/different than other AIs? I did that tour race randomly last night and it was a lot of fun battling with them there, quite competitive, also nice to have a longer race too!

I enjoyed that longer race. They probably were specifically tweaked for that one, but that's just my feeling.

they definitely seemed faster than usual, especially compared to the other events in that tour, that or the cars the AI had are better than the RUF maybe? not sure, but it will likely be something I will run again just for fun on a regular basis

Legend still has a pretty big "rubber band" effect. I did a 25 lap race on Legend last night (grinding the Ferrari accolade), on a track I hadn't raced on before, as it wasn't in the tour, and I stuffed up quite a few times on the first lap, even spinning out once after hitting a wall, and within a lap I had closed a 6-8 second deficit and started storming through the field. By lap 8 I had a 7 second lead. I can't notice a difference between legend difficulty on a free race, and the difficulty of the last few tour races. It's still ridiculously easy to beat.

Verdict: Driveclub AI destroys Project CARS

The DC AI is aware of your car, PCars AI just rams into you like if you were not there, I literally got flipped over once instead of being avoided by the PCars AI.

PCARS AI seems more detailed when they go off-track, but they are very un-aware of the surrounding cars, braking without even stepping on the gas at the beginning of every race.

PCars on 100% is challenging but it feels cheap, the AI will ram you simply because they are not programmed to avoid your car, they may be unpredictable but very frustrating because they don't feel realistic at all.
PCars is a great game though.

Driveclub AI on legendary wins this fight guys, sorry PCars fans.

Back